Kodi Community Forum
Remove Music link from home screen - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: Alaska (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=126)
+----- Thread: Remove Music link from home screen (/showthread.php?tid=77891)

Remove Music link from home screen - .:B:. - 2010-07-26

Hi guys,

I just bumped into this fabolous skin and already installed a few mods to it (for the movie layout).

I have been checking the XML files to see how the code to hide entries in the home menu work, and I found that the 'Hide Music' setting was only enabled in Home views 2 and 3. I took that conditional out, so now it shows up under the settings of home view 1.

The line in question was this:

Code:
<visible>Skin.HasSetting(home2) | Skin.HasSetting(home3)</visible>
on line 252 of CustomSettings.xml.

I can toggle the radio button, but the home screen still displays the Music entry. Is there some more code I'd need to change?

Any help is appreciated.

- .:B:. - 2010-07-27

Okay... I'm a little bit closer.

I have changed the Includes_Home_1.xml file too, and although I still get the Music entry to show up, I cannot select it anymore. Using my left/right buttons will jump to the next entry, but it will directly jump from the Settings entry to the Movies one, bypassing the Music entry.

This is my patch:

Code:
diff -Naur 720p/CustomSettings.xml 720p.new//CustomSettings.xml
--- 720p/CustomSettings.xml     2010-07-27 14:53:18.471355895 +0200
+++ 720p.new//CustomSettings.xml        2010-07-27 14:45:39.431356001 +0200
@@ -252,7 +252,7 @@
                                                <label>$LOCALIZE[40015]</label>
                                                <onclick>Skin.ToggleSetting(nomusic)</onclick>
                                                <selected>Skin.HasSetting(nomusic)</selected>
-                                               <visible>Skin.HasSetting(home2) | Skin.HasSetting(home3)</visible>
+                                               <visible>Skin.HasSetting(home1) | Skin.HasSetting(home2) | Skin.HasSetting(home3)</visible>
                                        </control>
                                        <control type="radiobutton" id="255">
                                                <include>SettingsLabel</include>
diff -Naur 720p/Includes_Home_1.xml 720p.new//Includes_Home_1.xml
--- 720p/Includes_Home_1.xml    2010-07-26 08:40:30.377638519 +0200
+++ 720p.new//Includes_Home_1.xml       2010-07-27 14:45:39.111356113 +0200
@@ -29,6 +29,7 @@
                                <item id="3">
                                        <description>Music</description>
                                        <onclick>ActivateWindow(Music)</onclick>
+                                       <visible>!Skin.HasSetting(nomusic)</visible>
                                </item>
                                <item id="4">
                                        <description>Movies</description>

If anybody has a hint about what I'm overlooking, please let me know.

- .:B:. - 2010-07-27

Victory! Laugh

Since Pastebin has a better layout than the code tags on the forum I have posted the final patch on Pastebin.

This patch will add a 'Hide Music' radio button to the Home 1 settings. Just patch the skin, change skins (pick another one, let it load, pick Alaska again) or restart Xbmc and tick the button.

- slashr - 2010-07-28

thanks for sharing this Smile

- cbierwirth - 2010-08-19

hi there,

i hope it's ok to ask...but how exactly do i "patch" the skin?
do i have to add this to the xml files or create a new one..or...?

nothing i tried so far worked for me ; ( and i'm looking for this option a long time.

thanks for your help.

- filigran - 2010-08-20

cbierwirth Wrote:hi there,

i hope it's ok to ask...but how exactly do i "patch" the skin?
do i have to add this to the xml files or create a new one..or...?

nothing i tried so far worked for me ; ( and i'm looking for this option a long time.

thanks for your help.

This link might help: http://www.markusbe.com/2009/12/how-to-read-a-patch-or-diff-and-understand-its-structure-to-apply-it-manually/#how-to-read-a-unified-diff

If not, google it and you might find better results (this is the first one I clicked).

If you look at the pastebin patch, at the top you'll see
PHP Code:
#
diff -Naur 720p.old//CustomSettings.xml 720p//CustomSettings.xml
#
--- 720p.old//CustomSettings.xml        2010-07-27 14:53:18.471355895 +0200
#
+++ 720p//CustomSettings.xml    2010-07-27 14:45:39.431356001 +0200
#
@@ -252,+252,@@ 
So, you want to open the file 720p/CustomSettings.xml. The "-252,7 +252,7" part is the interesting bit in this file. You'll see a "-" on line 8 and a "+" on line 9. This means, "remove the line with a minus in front of it, and replace it with the line with a plus in front of it". So, basically, go to line 255 (252 is the <label> line, 253 the line below, 254 the line under that, and 255 is the marked line) or search for the "-" marked line in 720p/CustomSettings.xml, make sure the surrounding lines look right so you are in the right place and change it to read
PHP Code:
<visible>Skin.HasSetting(home1) | Skin.HasSetting(home2) | Skin.HasSetting(home3)</visible

Then, further down, the patch applies to another file. Here you see only a "+" but no "-", meaning nothing has been removed from that file, but a line has been added. So open up 720p/Includes_home_1.xml and add the line with a "+" in front of it at line 32, and then the other marked line further down at line 244 in the same file.

Might be a good idea to backup the file first. Smile

You can also use the 'patch' utility on a unix system (and probably some other utility on windows), but this is the "easy" way. Hope it clears things up! Smile