Kodi Community Forum
Black screen after lounching XBMC (sometimes) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: Black screen after lounching XBMC (sometimes) (/showthread.php?tid=78065)

Pages: 1 2

Black screen after lounching XBMC (sometimes) - illiac4 - 2010-07-29

Hi!
Why does sometimes happen that after lunching XBMC the screen goes blank. I can hear the sound in the background so i can exit XBMC (on blind) and then it only helps to restart the frontrow and then it lunches normally? This happens totally randomly.
XBMC is lately svn build, but it has happened also before (in previous builds).
In my ATV i have also Crystal HD card.

Any clue?

- bigjuggler - 2010-07-29

I used to get this too. CrystalHD card installed here as well. Black screen appeared completely randomly after a boot (with sound present too). Rebooting two or three times solved it, sometimes reinstalling the CrystalHD driver helped.

I solved it by restoring my ATV to 1.1. Then updating to current 3.something. Then reflashing the whole works. Running 28256 it was fine. I am running Sam.Nazarko's Ubuntu image now and have had no problems.

Good luck.

- illiac4 - 2010-07-30

Well before Crystal HD a also did not have this behaviour. I will remove the card and see if this will help. I have also reinstalled the ATV from scratch but it did not solve the problem it simply happens totally randomly.

- illiac4 - 2010-08-21

Well today i have updated to version 2 of crystalhd driver and the same behavior occurs. Sometimes after lunching XBMC it stays black and you can not see anything. It only helps to exit XBMC , restart Finder and than it lunches normally until randomly the same happens again. This happens only with XBMC, boxee works ok.

So today i have removed the Crystal HD card and will report if this will still me the same. It is strange that none has the same issues. I have also done clean full install and it is the same.

http://forum.atvflash.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3262&p=14436#p14436

- davilla - 2010-08-21

illiac4 Wrote:Well today i have updated to version 2 of crystalhd driver and the same behavior occurs. Sometimes after lunching XBMC it stays black and you can not see anything. It only helps to exit XBMC , restart Finder and than it lunches normally until randomly the same happens again. This happens only with XBMC, boxee works ok.

So today i have removed the Crystal HD card and will report if this will still me the same. It is strange that none has the same issues. I have also done clean full install and it is the same.

http://forum.atvflash.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3262&p=14436#p14436

Black screen on XBMC launch is not a crystalhd issue, it's a Launcher issue. Make sure you are running the current Launcher and use Launcher to install XBMC.

- illiac4 - 2010-08-21

TNX for answer.
Well i'm using the latest launcher and have also installed latest svn build from it. But the problem is there for already some time. Apple TV is modded with ATVFlash (all plugins are up to date) so maybe this is the problem?

- davilla - 2010-08-22

illiac4 Wrote:TNX for answer.
Well i'm using the latest launcher and have also installed latest svn build from it. But the problem is there for already some time. Apple TV is modded with ATVFlash (all plugins are up to date) so maybe this is the problem?

How about using that Apple IR remote to actually check and report which version you are using. It's the in Launcher. Also knowing which atvos is running on the AppleTV would be good. Use the same IR remote to get that too. As we say, latest is not a version number we know.

- illiac4 - 2010-08-22

Launcher 3.2.5; Apple os 3.0.2; svn 32995 XBMC

But as i said it has happened also with prvious releases. Maybe is the 3.0.2 ATV os the cause?

- davilla - 2010-08-22

illiac4 Wrote:Launcher 3.2.5; Apple os 3.0.2; svn 32995 XBMC

But as i said it has happened also with prvious releases. Maybe is the 3.0.2 ATV os the cause?

How are you doing AppleTV OS updates ?

- illiac4 - 2010-08-22

Reset do default factory settings and then through menu download the latest ATV os and then apply the patchstick (ATVFlash).

I will try to find version 3.0.1 and install it manually if it will help. But i see that i'm not the only one who is having this behaviour. Will debug log help? But it is hard to catch it because it is so randomly.

- illiac4 - 2010-08-22

Well do you think that it can do something with disk preparation to do?
I did that:
i have used thiscommand
"dd if=smallatv.dmg of=\\?\Device\HarddiskX\Partition0 bs=1M --progress"

but have used bs=4M

- davilla - 2010-08-22

illiac4 Wrote:Well do you think that it can do something with disk preparation to do?
I did that:
i have used thiscommand
"dd if=smallatv.dmg of=\\?\Device\HarddiskX\Partition0 bs=1M --progress"

but have used bs=4M

No.

Letting frontrow do the update is the proper why. Some manually update but that can miss any firmware updates (and there have been many) to the various internal devices.

Describe your display setup. How is the AppleTV connected to the display, how is the display setup. I had an issue with my Westinghouse TV where if I kept it in e-saver mode, it would glitch the HDMI inputs. Solution, don't use e-saver mode on the HDTV. HDMI, love it, hate it. Grrrrr.

- illiac4 - 2010-08-23

Hi!

I do have Philips TV 37inch PFL3312 it is HdReady TV. Apple TV is LAN connected to router and with HDMI to the TV.
The TV is very basic.

Will try to change the HDMI cable.
It is funny that it is just sometimes.

One thing that i have also noted is that if this happens (black screen) and i can blindly navigate out of the XBMC to the frontrow and then try to lunch XBMC again it happens again. So if this happens then i have to restart the frontrow (through NitoTV) and then after restart (already frontrow is ok, no need to restart the whole ATV) it will work (till some random next time Smile )

- Microsaft - 2010-12-09

Hi there.
installed my crystalhd-card today (never had that issue before)
first time running xbmc with it was great. but now i just get a black screen.
i can start movies via iphone app (system seems to work).

latest apple tv os (3.0.2.).
latest atvflash installed (4.2.1).
latest launcher (3.2.5) and svn (35567).
apple tv is connected to an avr via hdmi.

Did you find a solution?

Launcher - spoonthumb - 2010-12-11

I also had this problem before switching to ubuntu. I found that reinstalling launcher fixed it.