Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

- elitegamer360 - 2011-03-19

Eisi2005 Wrote:@elitegamer

it did not work.

I have now copy your keyboard.xml with my addons to my C:\Users\Eisi2005\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\keymaps dir

the xml has now the following content:

http://pastebin.com/Nkhk23nY

In my Y:\XBMC\system\keymaps keyboard.xml is the following content:

http://pastebin.com/j4CcpiXi

In search i didn´t have sms keyboard, only numbers. Or could i use in search only the virtual keyboard ?

Greets
Eisi

I just copied over the Keyboard.xml that you modified and it works just fine on my system.

I just cant think of any reason that would stop the JumpSMS from working except with your own KEYBOARD LAYOUT maybe!

What keyboard language are you using? just for testing, can you add the "English (United kingdom) or the (United states)" keyboard version in windows and make sure its selected when launching XBMC, also in XBMC _> Settings_> Appearance_> International_. try and select English.

hope this helps.

Cheers,
EG.

- elitegamer360 - 2011-03-19

cd492 Wrote:Yeah already tried the MceRemoteMapper, what an amazing little tool btw, but couldn`t find the blacksplash in the menu. OemPipe is the solution. Thanks EG!

You are most welcome :-)

Cheers,
EG.

- Eisi2005 - 2011-03-20

@elitegamer

thx for your great help.

Shame on me. I have modified your xml with my entries but don´t copy it to the dir. i think too much children scream. After copying the file to my userdir all works very fine !!

Greets
Eisi

- elitegamer360 - 2011-03-20

Eisi2005 Wrote:@elitegamer

thx for your great help.

Shame on me. I have modified your xml with my entries but don´t copy it to the dir. i think too much children scream. After copying the file to my userdir all works very fine !!

Greets
Eisi

My pleasure :-)

Cheers,
EG.

Not working (for me) under Dharma 10.1 upgrade - srdegnan - 2011-03-22

oops ... ignore - it is now that I removed the xml extension from the original keyboard.xml

- bramblepants - 2011-03-29

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing this! I've now ditched EventGhost and am happily using your setup!

- elitegamer360 - 2011-03-29

bramblepants Wrote:Just wanted to say thanks for sharing this! I've now ditched EventGhost and am happily using your setup!

You are Welcome :-)

Just for info I've been working on a simple method to automate the whole setup process, so very soon you might just download one ".exe" file and it'll do all the work for you :-) the only thing you will have to do is a "restart". Single setup files and procedure will still be on site and the only new thing will be added is an automated install section.

I'm currently finalizing the setup and testing it on several systems, if all goes well I'll post a first release that can be tested by new users.

Cheers,
EG.

- killerpoptart - 2011-04-01

Hi, this probably isn't the right thread for this post, but it's the best one i could find for this question. Basically I have the adesso ARC-1100 remote which apparently doesn't work with this and just sends keyboard presses. The arrows, enter, and backspace buttons work just fine along with play, pause, stop, FF and rew. The ONLY button i am missing that would make my setup complete is the info button. I did notice that the remote can send # and * and I was wondering if I can edit the keymap so that when i press, say #, it ends up opening the info menu. I'm a complete noob when it comes to editing the keymap however and I tried using this before i found out my remote wouldn't work with it. Could someone give me some specific instructions on how to edit it in order to do this? I would be eternally grateful :-)

- elitegamer360 - 2011-04-01

@ killerpoptart:

I can make your info button do what you want using Autohotkey, I did it in the past for several people on this thread and on other threads as well. If i remember correctly your Remote in general "info or i" button sends a right mouse click, if so its pretty easy to make it trigger info in XBMC instead of a right mouse click, without losing the right mouse click outside XBMC :-)

Please confirm thats ok with you or I'll help you mod your keymap instead if you want. Gota go to sleep now though :-P will check your reply tomorrow :-)

Cheers,
EG.

- killerpoptart - 2011-04-01

elitegamer360 Wrote:@ killerpoptart:

I can make your info button do what you want using Autohotkey, I did it in the past for several people on this thread and on other threads as well. If i remember correctly your Remote in general "info or i" button sends a right mouse click, if so its pretty easy to make it trigger info in XBMC instead of a right mouse click, without losing the right mouse click outside XBMC :-)

Please confirm thats ok with you or I'll help you mod your keymap instead if you want. Gota go to sleep now though :-P will check your reply tomorrow :-)

Cheers,
EG.

YES! That would be perfect. I just wasn't sure how to go about doing it or which way would be the easiest. Let me know when you get the chance. I really appreciate your help! :-)

- elitegamer360 - 2011-04-01

killerpoptart Wrote:YES! That would be perfect. I just wasn't sure how to go about doing it or which way would be the easiest. Let me know when you get the chance. I really appreciate your help! :-)

See this thread similar problem to yours, I think I will do an update to my first post sometime in the coming few days and I'll include all the AHK scripts that I wrote so that it will be easy for people to find in the future. :-)

Anyways download this script, unzip the file to your Windows start menu "Startup" folder so that the script will automatically start every time you start your PC.

Make sure autohotkey is installed and to activate the script for the first time just double click on it.

For more info about remaping your remote buttons to keyboard.xml see my remaping page tutorial section R2 Smile

Cheers,
EG.

- thaiboxer - 2011-04-01

Just want to say thanks for all the work into this, it woked awesome!

elitegamer360 Wrote:ALL NEW UPDATES OR NEW INFO WILL GO HERE http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/ THREAD WILL STILL BE USED FOR SUPPORT AND UPDATE TRIGGERS/BUMPS Laugh Internet Explorer 8 is not compatible with my site I would recommend any other browser that use webkit instead.

Three Simple steps to get your remote up and running No other method is simpler than mine, I promise you the Customised setup takes care of every thing one time. Unlike other tutorials/setups only run basic configuration you have to figure out what you want yourself.

I would recommend you visit my Remote Setup page for full detailed step by step instructions for n00bs and config info for Camelot users. Includes info about Green Start Button Mapping kids/family frendily method, no more "Ctrl-Shift-W", "Ctrl-Shift-X" problems.

If you are after remapping buttons for n00bs click here for step by step tutorial or For a more know how technical approach Download PDF Tutorial from here or the easiest way ever to do it is to use Option A no tutorial reading required :-) Otherwise read this Wiki that has everything we ever know about MCE remotes Registry configuration data.

Assuming you have an RC6 MCE Compatible Remote, then:-
Step 1:Download Registry Config v1.24 from here Apply File.
Config v1.23 still on site if you want to use the old "Ctrl-Shift-W" method, more info and Camelot specific config on site.

Step 2:Download Keyboard.xml v1.81 from here Move to Keymaps Folder.

By now current users might have their own keyboard.xml settings so to add "GSB Home jump" to your Keyboard.xml then just add this string
Code:
<f5 mod="ctrl,alt">XBMC.ActivateWindow(Home)</f5>
to <Global> section and use the latest autohotkey script

More info about Keyboard.xml additional remote features on site, or look down here Smile.

-------Keyboard.xml v1.81 Extra Remote Features:-------
1- Yellow button to (Skip Next Language Track).
2- alphanumeric buttons (JumpSMS feature) to help select movies fast using alphanumeric buttons on MCE remotes. Jump to specific Movie title i.e. Press 2 ones will highlight A, Twice -> B, three times -C, hence SMS style etc...
3- Radio button Launch Playlist Menu.
4- Record Button Will add Queue Music/Videos to playlist, Will also Delete items if in Playlist window.
5- Channel Up/Down buttons While in Playlist window, they can be used to rearrange Queued items. Will work normally outside Playlist window.
6- Channel Up/Down buttons While in Full Video Screen, they can be used to Zoom video in or out to fine tune your viewing pleasure. Will work normally outside Full Video Screen.
Note: Do not forget "Enter" button which can change Aspect ratio, if that's what you are after. :-)
7- * Star button Will Update the video Library Database.
8- # Hash button Launch Playlist Menu "Support for remotes with no Radio button."
9- added music playlist shuffle map one of your remote buttons to "g"
in playlist mode will be able to enable shuffle.
in Music/Library mode you will be able turn shuffle OFF.
10- Videos button will take you directly to TV Shows Window.
11- Green Start Button GSB Home Jump feature added. MUST download Autohotkey script as well for it to work.
-------Keyboard.xml v1.81 Extra Remote Features:-------

Step 3:Restart your PC

**for problems with remotes buttons not functioning, i.e. [like Volumeup, Volumedown, mute, i/info or guide buttons] then you might have a clone MCE remote that does not use the eHome driver visit page 25 for a solution.**

REJOICE! Green Start Button in action: I totally support this method now, It can launch XBMC or restore focus if XBMC loses it for some reason = Kids/Family friendly. Thanks to igjunk for his first release v1.00 using Autohotkey. And now if you press the green start button when XBMC is active v1.03 will take you to home screen without any effect on the original restore and focus functions.

Visit the Green Start button section for Detailed instructions and scripts to download for 64bit_v1.03 or 32bit_v1.03 Windows. See section 1.2 Green Start button.

You are good to go Laugh

_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_
If you are looking for a setup that works with XBMC, WMC, WinDVD
and PowerDVD then check this dedicated thread. Related discussions here please.
_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

Cheers,
EG.

- killerpoptart - 2011-04-03

elitegamer360 Wrote:See this thread similar problem to yours, I think I will do an update to my first post sometime in the coming few days and I'll include all the AHK scripts that I wrote so that it will be easy for people to find in the future. :-)

Anyways download this script, unzip the file to your Windows start menu "Startup" folder so that the script will automatically start every time you start your PC.

Make sure autohotkey is installed and to activate the script for the first time just double click on it.

For more info about remaping your remote buttons to keyboard.xml see my remaping page tutorial section R2 Smile

Cheers,
EG.

The autohotkey script worked great! I guess I lied when I said that was the only other button that I wanted to work lol. I think the only two others I would like to get working would be the Context Menu and perhaps subtitles on/off. Would you possibly have a hotkey script for that? Or is that something I would have to remap. I tried messing around with the remap, doing something like:
<#>ContextMenu</#>
But that didn't do anything. I used the # because that is a button that I know i will never need in XBMC. There is also the * button as well that i'm pretty sure i'll never use, so i figured i might be able to remap those keyboard presses to those commands? I imagine i'm going about it the wrong way though. Again, thanks so much for help :-)

- elitegamer360 - 2011-04-03

killerpoptart Wrote:The autohotkey script worked great! I guess I lied when I said that was the only other button that I wanted to work lol. I think the only two others I would like to get working would be the Context Menu and perhaps subtitles on/off. Would you possibly have a hotkey script for that? Or is that something I would have to remap. I tried messing around with the remap, doing something like:
<#>ContextMenu</#>
But that didn't do anything. I used the # because that is a button that I know i will never need in XBMC. There is also the * button as well that i'm pretty sure i'll never use, so i figured i might be able to remap those keyboard presses to those commands? I imagine i'm going about it the wrong way though. Again, thanks so much for help :-)

Thats fairly easy to do with keyboard.xml :-)

If you followed the tutorial I posted eariler it will help you understand what to do next. For now use Showkey.exe to find out what your "#" and "*" buttons send.

start showkey.exe then point your remote to the receiver and press the "# and *" then post back the results of each button here and I will tell you what to do next.

Cheers,
EG.

- killerpoptart - 2011-04-03

elitegamer360 Wrote:Thats fairly easy to do with keyboard.xml :-)

If you followed the tutorial I posted eariler it will help you understand what to do next. For now use Showkey.exe to find out what your "#" and "*" buttons send.

start showkey.exe then point your remote to the receiver and press the "# and *" then post back the results of each button here and I will tell you what to do next.

Cheers,
EG.

Awesome! Ya, I think I might have been putting the showkey string into the wrong section of the keymap, but i'm not sure. It might also be worth mentioning that i installed your plugin and i think it might have editted the keymap previously, so I don't think i'm starting with the original XBMC keymap (if that makes any difference). I did notice too that there are some legit MCE buttons on the remote like the red, blue, green and yellow ones. But here are the strings for the extra buttons on my remote:

Browser:
<browser_home>Notification(Key, browser_home, 3)</browser_home>

*:
<numpadtimes>Notification(Key, numpadtimes, 3)</numpadtimes>

#:
<numlock>Notification(Key, numlock, 3)</numlock>

grey tv
<o mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, o, 3)</o>

grey picture
<g mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, g, 3)</g>

grey movie
<t mod="ctrl">Notification(Key, t, 3)</t>

grey dvd
<m mod="ctrl,shift">Notification(Key, m, 3)</m>

I tried the browser one but it wouldn't work. I'm not sure if i'm inserting it into the right section of the keymap? Or is it possible it could be a system wide command or something? Again thanks for your help! :-)