Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

- dimzen - 2011-04-15

elitegamer360 Wrote:@dimzen:

So its working now?

Cheers,
EG.

Yep Big Grin

- elitegamer360 - 2011-04-15

dimzen Wrote:Yep Big Grin

Cool Laugh

------------------Update info------------------
****Just updated the site with Config v1.25****

Every one who used v1.24 does not need to update to v1.25, the new Config.reg brings minor updates to support 2 additional buttons one on a Microsoft remote and the other on an HP HDX remote, therefore current users with such remotes or new users will benefit from this update. Please see the Config.reg Release logs for details.

I promised that I will be bringing an automated setup that has all the files need and contained in one small ".exe" file. I'm still working on it and I hope it will be much easier for new users joining the amazing XBMC community and it will even be better for the current users who need to reinstall the custom configuration again for any reason. I promise this time it would take less than 60 seconds to do with restart time "Depends on how long it takes your PC to restart Big Grin" instead of the current 5-10 minutes. Laugh

Cheers,
EG.

I-O DATA Remote - badokun - 2011-04-16

Hi,

I had the I-O DATA remote and would also like to enable all the functions on the remote. At the moment only the basic buttons work. Stop, play, ffw, etc.

http://www.iodata.jp/product/av/tidegi/gv-mc7rckit/#

If you dont mind can you please have a look at this one, and see if it'll be compatible before I start editing the registry and following your outlined steps.

I have the latest version of XBMC, and are running Windows 7 Ultimate-N64 bit.

Please let me know if I should supply further details.

Much appreciated!

- elitegamer360 - 2011-04-16

badokun Wrote:Hi,

I had the I-O DATA remote and would also like to enable all the functions on the remote. At the moment only the basic buttons work. Stop, play, ffw, etc.

http://www.iodata.jp/product/av/tidegi/gv-mc7rckit/#

If you dont mind can you please have a look at this one, and see if it'll be compatible before I start editing the registry and following your outlined steps.

I have the latest version of XBMC, and are running Windows 7 Ultimate-N64 bit.

Please let me know if I should supply further details.

Much appreciated!

Hi there,

Please Make sure you have "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" under the Human Interface Devices in the Device manager.

Again in the Device Manager can you please also check that you have "eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)" under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

Please let me know if your remote use any of the above drivers or any other driver as shown in the device manager. I've searched the net and seems to be no information about the compatibility of this remote.

Cheers,
EG.

- badokun - 2011-04-16

Yes on all accounts.

I installed the registry setting, copied the new keyboard config, and enabled "Remote Control Sends Keyboard Presses".

I noticed the numbers now work, and takes me quickly to a specific movie title starting with the corresponding letter, however none of the other keys seem to work..

The feature I desire the most is probably the 'i' key, the equivalent of a right-click on a mouse.

The only step i didnt do is "1.2 Green Start Button:", but I dont think this has anything to do with it.

Volume and mute buttons also dont seem to work.

elitegamer360 Wrote:Hi there,

Please Make sure you have "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" under the Human Interface Devices in the Device manager.

Again in the Device Manager can you please also check that you have "eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)" under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

Please let me know if your remote use any of the above drivers or any other driver as shown in the device manager. I've searched the net and seems to be no information about the compatibility of this remote.

Cheers,
EG.

badokun Wrote:Yes on all accounts.

I installed the registry setting, copied the new keyboard config, and enabled "Remote Control Sends Keyboard Presses".

I noticed the numbers now work, and takes me quickly to a specific movie title starting with the corresponding letter, however none of the other keys seem to work..
weird! The remote acts like a "HID compliant device" that does not use the eHome driver!!

Mmmmmm... Can you be more specific please! I need to know what buttons do not work and/or if all the buttons do not work?! Can you use showkey.exe and tell me if the non working buttons send anything at all.

badokun Wrote:The feature I desire the most is probably the 'i' key, the equivalent of a right-click on a mouse.

The only step i didnt do is "1.2 Green Start Button:", but I dont think this has anything to do with it.
So what does your "i" button send? Again please use Showkey.exe

badokun Wrote:Volume and mute buttons also dont seem to work.
Once again use Showkey.exe and tell me what the buttons send.

Cheers,
EG.

Here`s what work - badokun - 2011-04-16

Hi,

thanks for helping out.

I`ve marked on this image what works and what doesnt. The buttons in yellow gives no response to the showkey app, and doesnt appear to be working. That said, the volume up and down, and mute button does work in Windows, and brings up a little notification on the bottom right of the screen.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5Z7R27O6

or

http://imageupload.org/?d=4DA984B71

elitegamer360 Wrote:weird! The remote acts like a "HID compliant device" that does not use the eHome driver!!

Mmmmmm... Can you be more specific please! I need to know what buttons do not work and/or if all the buttons do not work?! Can you use showkey.exe and tell me if the non working buttons send anything at all.

So what does your "i" button send? Again please use Showkey.exe

Once again use Showkey.exe and tell me what the buttons send.

Cheers,
EG.

badokun Wrote:Hi,

thanks for helping out.

I`ve marked on this image what works and what doesnt. The buttons in yellow gives no response to the showkey app, and doesnt appear to be working. That said, the volume up and down, and mute button does work in Windows, and brings up a little notification on the bottom right of the screen.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5Z7R27O6

or

http://imageupload.org/?d=4DA984B71

Hi again,

Sorry to tell you that your remote is not an RC6 compatible or maybe a hybrid of some sort, and it would not accept my registry settings because it does not use the eHome driver. The second problem that you have an additional buttons that I can not identify like "10,11,12" and some other buttons written in Japanese above them that I have never seen in the past! Rolleyes

Now what you can do is revert to your original remote settings by applying the registry backup that you made before applying my Config file.

Then you can use showkey.exe to find what your buttons send and insert them in keyboard.xml accordingly. This is one option, the second option is as follows:-

I assume that you live in Japan and I'm not really sure what hardware is available over there, so if you can afford to get a Microsoft Certified remote then I'm sure if you look around for an RC6 IR receiver and Remote I'm sure you will be able to find one, and at the end of the day it will make your life much easier. :-)

Cheers,
EG.

ok - badokun - 2011-04-16

not exactly what i wanted to hear...

the remote was advertised as microsoft certified. even before making the registry change it already didnt show anything in the showkey app when i pressed the buttons that are not working.

did not know it can be this complicated. is there any other way of capturing what is sent by the remote...(other than the showkey app)?

Could I try and install another driver?

elitegamer360 Wrote:Hi again,

Sorry to tell you that your remote is not an RC6 compatible or maybe a hybrid of some sort, and it would not accept my registry settings because it does not use the eHome driver. The second problem that you have an additional buttons that I can not identify like "10,11,12" and some other buttons written in Japanese above them that I have never seen in the past! Rolleyes

Now what you can do is revert to your original remote settings by applying the registry backup that you made before applying my Config file.

Then you can use showkey.exe to find what your buttons send and insert them in keyboard.xml accordingly. This is one option, the second option is as follows:-

I assume that you live in Japan and I'm not really sure what hardware is available over there, so if you can afford to get a Microsoft Certified remote then I'm sure if you look around for an RC6 IR receiver and Remote I'm sure you will be able to find one, and at the end of the day it will make your life much easier. :-)

Cheers,
EG.

badokun Wrote:not exactly what i wanted to hear...

the remote was advertised as microsoft certified. even before making the registry change it already didnt show anything in the showkey app when i pressed the buttons that are not working.

did not know it can be this complicated. is there any other way of capturing what is sent by the remote...(other than the showkey app)?

Could I try and install another driver?

There are so many clones around the world and I can tell you if you are not careful you can get the wrong hardware pretty easy.

Showkey.exe is the most reliable way of identifying if the remote is functioning or not, If it wasn't for jhsrennie taking the time to write this little app we would have resorted to harder reverse engineering techniques! So thanks to him for his efforts :-)

Now show me exactly what drivers your remote have, post a picture similar to this one please, as you can see this is whats on my system->

Cheers,
EG.

similar - badokun - 2011-04-16

Looks pretty similar...

http://imageupload.org/?d=4DA9B0991

elitegamer360 Wrote:There are so many clones around the world and I can tell you if you are not careful you can get the wrong hardware pretty easy.

Showkey.exe is the most reliable way of identifying if the remote is functioning or not, If it wasn't for jhsrennie taking the time to write this little app we would have resorted to harder reverse engineering techniques! So thanks to him for his efforts :-)

Now show me exactly what drivers your remote have, post a picture similar to this one please, as you can see this is whats on my system->

Cheers,
EG.

badokun Wrote:Looks pretty similar...

http://imageupload.org/?d=4DA9B0991

Thank you for posting the picture, I just wanted to find out if there is any thing weird that might impact the functiuonality of the Remote. All Looks good on paper but it does not work in real life!!!

I see that you have "HID Non-User Input Data Filter (KB 911895)" If I am not mistaken this relates to your "Microsoft USB Dual Receiver" for a wireless Keyboard/mouse. Does it operate on an RF or IR signals?

I think it should not have any impact on your remote but just for the sake of testing, could you try and restart your PC without the "Microsoft USB Dual Receiver" plugged in. Just make sure the Remote's IR usb receiver is plugged in and reboot. See if that makes any difference at all!

Without pluging the Microsoft USB Dual receiver try and apply the original remote settings then reboot and use Showkey to find out if the remote sends any signal. If not try and apply my registry settings Restart again and try showkey.

I forgot to ask you, what type of HTPC are you using? does it have an onboard IR receiver by any chance?

Cheers,
EG.

- LazarusLong - 2011-04-17

OK folks, I have an odd one...

I am running Windows 7 (32-bit) with XBMC and have a "Pinnacle" branded Windows MCE remote. On the back of the remote it says "RC6". No branding on the front of the remote. The receiver is branded "Pinnacle".

I can't get it recognized at all in XBMC and ShowKeys is also not recognizing it. However, I did download IR Server Suite and installed it and it was able to see buttons being pressed on the remote. Couldn't figure out how to get XBMC to work however, so I uninstalled it.

In Device Manager I do see the eHome listed under HID and also USB.

Any ideas ??

EDIT: This is the exact remote I have: http://www.amazon.com/Pinnacle-Remote-Windows-Media-Center/dp/B000WR2E00/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_2_2

- elitegamer360 - 2011-04-17

LazarusLong Wrote:OK folks, I have an odd one...

I am running Windows 7 (32-bit) with XBMC and have a "Pinnacle" branded Windows MCE remote. On the back of the remote it says "RC6". No branding on the front of the remote. The receiver is branded "Pinnacle".

I can't get it recognized at all in XBMC and ShowKeys is also not recognizing it. However, I did download IR Server Suite and installed it and it was able to see buttons being pressed on the remote. Couldn't figure out how to get XBMC to work however, so I uninstalled it.

In Device Manager I do see the eHome listed under HID and also USB.

Any ideas ??

EDIT: This is the exact remote I have: http://www.amazon.com/Pinnacle-Remote-Windows-Media-Center/dp/B000WR2E00/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_2_2

You seem to have a similar problem to badokun, honstly this is the second time I hear about a remote that has the eHome driver but does not act as an RC6 remote instead its more like an ENE CIR HID!

I've researched about this and the only explanation is that it lists the eHome driver as a dummy driver some how! And the hardware actually uses an INTEL CIR Driver thats based on the "HID-compliant consumer control device" only.

$39.95 for a fake MCE remote is quite expensive, its a rip-off actually! I usually read reviews before buying anything and with the amount of 1 star reviews this is a NO buy for me!! There is no simple way to figure out the type of the remote before buying unless they come from a branded manufacturer which they usually list the specifications of their products accurately.

Well it looks like the fake eHome remotes will not be programmable and will only work on the default settings exactly like the cheap cloned MCE remotes that does not have the right hardware built-in to use the "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver". The other explanation that I can think off is that Microsoft Certified remotes for Windows XP will not work on new releases of Windows, in a similar way the new Hardware Certified for Windows Vista or Windows 7 will not work on XP. I'm saying that because I've seen this happen so many times which makes it a reasonable explanation, some people might differ, but I say with quality RC6 hardware it will not matter what Operating system you use.

So one should be careful when buying remotes, I think if you use Windows XP it is better to buy a remote that is fully certified by Microsoft (Designed for Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition) like your "Pinnacle" remote. And if you have Vista or above then stay away from any remote certified for use with Windows XP. I've had another thread were people reported remotes that did not work with Windows XP etc, etc... But I have never seen or heared about any one having a problem when buying an RC6 device certified for their proper Operating system.

This is my only logical explination that I can think of at this time!

Cheers,
EG.

- LazarusLong - 2011-04-18

elitegamer360 Wrote:You seem to have a similar problem to badokun, honstly this is the second time I hear about a remote that has the eHome driver but does not act as an RC6 remote instead its more like an ENE CIR HID!

I've researched about this and the only explanation is that it lists the eHome driver as a dummy driver some how! And the hardware actually uses an INTEL CIR Driver thats based on the "HID-compliant consumer control device" only.

$39.95 for a fake MCE remote is quite expensive, its a rip-off actually! I usually read reviews before buying anything and with the amount of 1 star reviews this is a NO buy for me!! There is no simple way to figure out the type of the remote before buying unless they come from a branded manufacturer which they usually list the specifications of their products accurately.

Well it looks like the fake eHome remotes will not be programmable and will only work on the default settings exactly like the cheap cloned MCE remotes that does not have the right hardware built-in to use the "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver". The other explanation that I can think off is that Microsoft Certified remotes for Windows XP will not work on new releases of Windows, in a similar way the new Hardware Certified for Windows Vista or Windows 7 will not work on XP. I'm saying that because I've seen this happen so many times which makes it a reasonable explanation, some people might differ, but I say with quality RC6 hardware it will not matter what Operating system you use.

So one should be careful when buying remotes, I think if you use Windows XP it is better to buy a remote that is fully certified by Microsoft (Designed for Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition) like your "Pinnacle" remote. And if you have Vista or above then stay away from any remote certified for use with Windows XP. I've had another thread were people reported remotes that did not work with Windows XP etc, etc... But I have never seen or heared about any one having a problem when buying an RC6 device certified for their proper Operating system.

This is my only logical explination that I can think of at this time!

Cheers,
EG.

Actually, I only paid $ 12.99 for it from Woot.com (back in 2008 when I had Vista). It worked fine with Vista MCE back then, but doesn't work in MCE under Windows 7 either. 'Course, it could be because I'm still running the Windows 7 Release Candidate (never actually purchased the retail release LOL).

I think the issue is probably that the translation in the registry is incorrect so I'm going to do some poking around there.

I'm just honestly surprised how well XBMC runs on my ancient PC (Dell P4, 2.0 Ghz). I think this thing is about 6 years old!