Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

- LazarusLong - 2011-04-18

LazarusLong Wrote:Actually, I only paid $ 12.99 for it from Woot.com (back in 2008 when I had Vista). It worked fine with Vista MCE back then, but doesn't work in MCE under Windows 7 either. 'Course, it could be because I'm still running the Windows 7 Release Candidate (never actually purchased the retail release LOL).

I think the issue is probably that the translation in the registry is incorrect so I'm going to do some poking around there.

I'm just honestly surprised how well XBMC runs on my ancient PC (Dell P4, 2.0 Ghz). I think this thing is about 6 years old!

Well, I was able to get everything working using EventGhost for now. Would still love to have it work "natively", but this will do for the time being. I've been using the Android app also and it actually works faster anyways!

- xm41907 - 2011-04-19

First off, I have two concerns. The Reg file causes my remote to stop working. I have to uninstall it to get functionality.

Now for the background. I recently upgraded my computer from xp to Win7 and am having trouble getting the remote to work correctly. I have a Mediagate GP-IR02BK and it was working great with Event Ghost. After the upgrade it's giving me troubles.

Mmany of the basic functions worked right away, but I can not view movie details/info when pushing the info button. I tried to install Event Ghost and copy my XBMC file to it. The file didn't work at all. None of my functions were found. So I tried the MCE addon and was able to get my back button working right (I prefer it to have escape functionality instread of backspace), but still no luck with the info button.

SO, that brought me to the Reg fix. I've tried it multiple times. With the Keyboard.xml file and without. Every time, after I install it and reboot, I loose the remote functions and have to uninstall to get it back.

Anyone else having issues with the reg file causing a malfunction or know of a work around for the info button?

- elitegamer360 - 2011-04-19

@xm41907:

As we know the "Mediagate GP-IR02BK" known to be a good MCE remote, I know couple of people used it with no issues at all!

Are you using the usb receiver that came with you remote or something else?

Have you checked what drivers your receiver uses in Windows 7? Does it use the eHome Driver? I have a picture posted about this a couple of posts back please check it out.

EDIT: what config.reg did you use v1.24 or v1.25?
If you used v1.25 please try v1.24 and let me know if it makes any difference!

Cheers,
EG.

- xm41907 - 2011-04-19

elitegamer360 Wrote:@xm41907:

As we know the "Mediagate GP-IR02BK" known to be a good MCE remote, I know couple of people used it with no issues at all!

Are you using the usb receiver that came with you remote or something else?

Have you checked what drivers your receiver uses in Windows 7? Does it use the eHome Driver? I have a picture posted about this a couple of posts back please check it out.

EDIT: what config.reg did you use v1.24 or v1.25?
If you used v1.25 please try v1.24 and let me know if it makes any difference!

Cheers,
EG.
Elite, yes I'm using the original receiver. It worked great under xp/EventGhost. It is using the Ehome driver. That's what I had to uninstall and reinstall to get working again after merging v1.25. I'll try v1.24 tonight. One thing I notice late last night was that the default registry entries look nothing at all like entries in v1.25. There are no key entries at all. I'm wondering if my remote uses a different scheme than the common one and keeps the key entries somewhere else. I'll try v1.24 tonight and report back. Also, I'll post the default registry entry for your info.

It doesn't really matter as I just won a Logitech Harmony 650 on Ebay for $35. I can live with the half functioning remote for a few more days.

xm41907 Wrote:Elite, yes I'm using the original receiver. It worked great under xp/EventGhost. It is using the Ehome driver. That's what I had to uninstall and reinstall to get working again after merging v1.25. I'll try v1.24 tonight. One thing I notice late last night was that the default registry entries look nothing at all like entries in v1.25. There are no key entries at all. I'm wondering if my remote uses a different scheme than the common one and keeps the key entries somewhere else. I'll try v1.24 tonight and report back. Also, I'll post the default registry entry for your info.

It doesn't really matter as I just won a Logitech Harmony 650 on Ebay for $35. I can live with the half functioning remote for a few more days.

I've asked you to try v1.24 because its been downloaded over 5000 times and no one reported issues. Only issues are being reported after I updated to v1.25 which is worrying! I do not know if its a coincidence or is there actually something wrong with v1.25, although I tested it on 5 different systems before releasing but I learnt this not even enough lol!

You are the third user in a row who's reporting issues with your setup, if you try v1.24 and it works then its my fault and I wil need to revise v1.25.

EDIT: every time someone posts about an issue I forget to ask them about Eventghost because I never use it! Now in Eventghost you might have "Disable HID Service" checked, you need to enable it again by unchecking this option!

Cheers,
EG.

- xm41907 - 2011-04-19

elitegamer360 Wrote:I've asked you to try v1.24 because its been downloaded over 5000 times and no one reported issues.

Gotcha. I'll give ya the details later tonight.

elitegamer360 Wrote:Now in Eventghost you might have "Disable HID Service" checked, you need to enable it again by unchecking this option!

I did see that in your instructions but forgot to see if it was checked or not. I wouldn't think that's my specific problem as it either works with default settings or not at all (windows wide, not just xbmc) depending on if the reg files are merged or not.

xm41907 Wrote:Gotcha. I'll give ya the details later tonight.

I did see that in your instructions but forgot to see if it was checked or not. I wouldn't think that's my specific problem as it either works with default settings or not at all (windows wide, not just xbmc) depending on if the reg files are merged or not.

Please double check Eventghost, because if Hid service is disabled the reg configs will not work!

I have updated the first post with troubleshooting questions and I'm updating the website right now, I hope people will give it more attention before posting about issues.

Cheers,
EG.

- xm41907 - 2011-04-20

I installed v1.24 and everything seems to be working now. I guess there is something in v1.25 that gives some setups problems. I looked for the HID setting in Eventghost and couldn't find it. I ended up just uninstalling it since the reg changes are working now. Thanks for the help!

- elitegamer360 - 2011-04-20

xm41907 Wrote:I installed v1.24 and everything seems to be working now. I guess there is something in v1.25 that gives some setups problems. I looked for the HID setting in Eventghost and couldn't find it. I ended up just uninstalling it since the reg changes are working now. Thanks for the help!

I think EventGhost is an evil peice of software and most of the times its the cause of issues when wanting to use pure registry setup! I'm sure if you try v1.25 it will work now.

I think its more to do with your systems and not the reg configs! I have gone through it several times and retested it over several different systems and I found no issues at all!

Thank you for your feedback anyways :-)

Cheers,
EG.

- xm41907 - 2011-04-20

elitegamer360 Wrote:I think its more to do with your systems and not the reg configs!

I wouldn't doubt it. With all the differences in remotes as well as other hardware, there's bound to be incompatibility issues with just about anything. I'll give 1.25 a try tonight. Thanks for all the work you've put into the registry method. I'd much rather change a registry entry than use another ram wasting piece of software to do the same thing.

- elitegamer360 - 2011-04-20

xm41907 Wrote:I wouldn't doubt it. With all the differences in remotes as well as other hardware, there's bound to be incompatibility issues with just about anything. I'll give 1.25 a try tonight. Thanks for all the work you've put into the registry method. I'd much rather change a registry entry than use another ram wasting piece of software to do the same thing.

No problems at all! I'm happy to help any time. And yes I was just saying if you have no issues with v1.24 do not bother with 1.25 because the changes only apply for a certain remotes, that you do not have and I do not have, lol! Unless for the sakes of testing and you do not mind restarting then go for it, you should not see any difference except that everything works as expected ;-)

Edit: How do I usually test if a reg file works properly?
1- I revert to Windows Original registey settings using the backup I have
2- Restart.
3- test that original settings works properly. i.e. "limited control of multiple commands such as WM_Appcommands and WM_input etc..
4- Apply the new registry settings and restart, then test using showkey to make sure all the buttons output as expected.
5- I have other methods for byte by byte testings which I only do if there is a major issue somewhere.

Cheers,
EG.

Starting Hulu Desktop from MCE remote - drgregharris - 2011-04-26

How can I start another program from the MCE remote. I'd like to use the Recorded TV button on the MCE remote to start Hulu desktop. This would be similar to starting XBMC from the green button. This would not occur from within XBMC, but from the computer desktop. I tried using eventghost just to map that ONE button, but then it screwed up my XBMC control.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

- elitegamer360 - 2011-04-26

drgregharris Wrote:How can I start another program from the MCE remote. I'd like to use the Recorded TV button on the MCE remote to start Hulu desktop. This would be similar to starting XBMC from the green button. This would not occur from within XBMC, but from the computer desktop. I tried using eventghost just to map that ONE button, but then it screwed up my XBMC control.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

The simplest way to do it is use showkey.exe to find out what your "Recorded TV" button sends! Make a note of it, so for example if it sends "Ctrl+Shif+3" then create a hulu shortcut icon on your desktop and right click on it to bring the shortcut properties then in the shortcut field just enter the combination and hit OK.

Cheers,
EG.

- Tony_Montana - 2011-04-28

hello i have this Remote

i have done all these settings and my remote works 100% perfect.

the only problem is that when i push the shutdown button on the remote,
the pc is in stand by/hibernate mode.

how i can change this ? is it possible to change only this function?

thanks in advance!

- elitegamer360 - 2011-04-28

Tony_Montana Wrote:hello i have this Remote

i have done all these settings and my remote works 100% perfect.

the only problem is that when i push the shutdown button on the remote,
the pc is in stand by/hibernate mode.

how i can change this ? is it possible to change only this function?

thanks in advance!

This remote does not use the eHome driver, right?! The wiki does not state that! So I do not think that the Suspend/sleep button can be changed! It will always send 03,82,00 which will always send the PC to sleep.

Cheers,
EG.