Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

- elitegamer360 - 2011-06-17

xinxilas Wrote:Hey.. i bought an Remote control from Dealextreme(one of those fake "Keyboard/Mouse IR remote), 've already read many things about customizing with autohotkey, keyboard.xml etc..

BUT...

It works okay out-of-box with XBMC, the only problem is the "MEDIA CENTER BUTTON" which opens Windows Media Center...

The keys pressed by it is the native windows shortcut to open Windows Media Player: WIN+ALT+ENTER

Which is my options to make this button open XBMC? I've tried many things

It sounds like your remote does not use the "ehome" driver and it might actually not send "win-alt-enter"! But just send a raw IR signal which is interpreted by the Consumer HID driver. If so then sadly your remote can not be configured.

To double check if your "Windows Media" button sends a keyboard shourtcut, just download showkey.exe and point your remote towards the receiver and press the "Windows Media" button". Obviously it will start WMC but look at showkey did it display anything at all! If nothing is displayed then you are out of luck.

The MCE "Green start button" or "Windows Media button" is exactly like the "DVD Angle, DVD Audio, DVD Menu and Guide buttons..etc etc.." they all send WM_INPUT "Message" that does not have a "Command or Keyboard equivalent" therefore the good thing about the RC6 remotes that you can configure these buttons to do something useful in XBMC.

Anyways you need to buy a certified MCE remote to be able to configure its buttons. Otherwise nothing can be done to overcome this issue, sorry.

Cheers,
EG.

- jhsrennie - 2011-06-17

The cheap remotes that don't use the eHome driver tend to send win-alt-enter when you press the green button, because that's the Windows shortcut for starting media Center. There isn't an easy way to get round this, but have a look at http://inchoatethoughts.com/launching-xbmc-with-a-windows-media-center-remote as this is one approach. To be honest, the best solution is to buy a new eHome remote.

JR

- theotherguy - 2011-06-20

Is it possible to add the IR codes to the registry for the actual buttons, rather than changing them to a keycode?

I want to have the RGYB buttons working without having them changed to a key, so it makes more sense to me when adjusting keymaps etc.

Also the power button, as i've been trying to get XBMC to close when pressing a button, but the powertoggle is mapped to "S" instead, which I just realised is shutdown menu.

Is this even possible?

Using a Harmony remote btw.

- jhsrennie - 2011-06-20

theotherguy Wrote:Is it possible to add the IR codes to the registry for the actual buttons, rather than changing them to a keycode?

I want to have the RGYB buttons working without having them changed to a key, so it makes more sense to me when adjusting keymaps etc.

Is this even possible?

Using a Harmony remote btw.

Your problem is that XBMC for Windows has no way of responding to a signal from the remote unless that signal is a keypress. On *nix and OSX XBMC uses a protocol called LIRC to connect to the remote, but the Windows build doesn't include this.

JR

- theotherguy - 2011-06-21

jhsrennie Wrote:Your problem is that XBMC for Windows has no way of responding to a signal from the remote unless that signal is a keypress. On *nix and OSX XBMC uses a protocol called LIRC to connect to the remote, but the Windows build doesn't include this.

JR

It's all starting to make a little more sense now.

So there is no key code for a RGYB button? There isn't one on the MCE keyboards??

- jhsrennie - 2011-06-21

There are no standard keypresses that correspond to the four coloured buttons. By default the XBMC MCERemote add-on maps red, green yellow and blue to ctrl-alt-1 to 4. EliteGamer360's scripts will map them to something similar.

JR

- elitegamer360 - 2011-06-21

theotherguy Wrote:It's all starting to make a little more sense now.

So there is no key code for a RGYB button? There isn't one on the MCE keyboards??

This is probably too late now but as JR said, there are no standard shortcut keys to those buttons. So you can either use JR MCE Remote addon for XBMC or any setup of mine will configure them.

Cheers,
EG.

- Jezo - 2011-06-21

Should I attempt your method if I also want to use WMC or will the settings from the first post take over all functionality and make it so the remote does not work in WMC?

- elitegamer360 - 2011-06-22

Jezo Wrote:Should I attempt your method if I also want to use WMC or will the settings from the first post take over all functionality and make it so the remote does not work in WMC?

Assuming that you have an RC6 Remote then my Auto and Manual install is completely dedicated to XBMC, the setup will work perfectly in XBMC but if you want full functionality in WMC then you need to try my other setup in a different thread.

If you read my first post on the first page you would've seen at the end I left a note linking to a specific thread that I have created two setup files in there that would work with XBMC, WMC and other DVD, bluray apps. link here again!

What you need to do is as follows:-

1- download the two files from the thread I just linked to above.

2- Make a backup of your own registry files! Follow step 1.0 only see here and save it in a safe place in case you want to revert back to your original registry settings.

3- Download "Muti.app.Config.v0.6.reg" and "Blind_VKcode.v0.6.ahk"! Note that "Blind_VKcode.v0.6.ahk" is a autohotkey script that will only work if Autohotkey is installed on your system.

4- If you are going to use "Blind_VKcode.v0.6.ahk" then the best place to put it in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" assuming that "C:\" is your Windows HDD and Windows 7 is your OS.

5- Double click on "Muti.app.Config.v0.6.reg" to apply the new settings, click "YES" when the registry editor dialogue appears.

6- I would recommend you download Keyboard.xml v1.81 so that your remote works flawlessly with XBMC. Instructions where to put the keyboard.xml on setup page.

7- Now restart and you should have a fully working remote for XBMC and WMC.

I hope you find this helpful!

cheers,
EG.

Jumpsms ? - sajberman - 2011-06-23

I still cant get JumpSMS to work. I want to be able to jump to a letter in music and video library.
I use the original mce remote and everything else works fine.
I have added the jumpSMS command to the global settings for the 2-9 numbers in keyboard.xml.
<zero>Number0</o>
<one>Number1</one>
<two>JumpSMS2</two>
<three>JumpSMS3</three>
<four>JumpSMS4</four>
<five>JumpSMS5</five>
<six>JumpSMS6</six>
<seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
<eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
<nine>JumpSMS9</nine>

I have not added the "Elitegamer" registry file because i have done a lot of modifications in the registry myself.
Is there something in the registry that needs to be added for JumpSMS to work?
If i use my PC keyboard i can jump to letters using shift+"letter"
I have a swedish keyboard configuration in windows.

- elitegamer360 - 2011-06-23

sajberman Wrote:I still cant get JumpSMS to work. I want to be able to jump to a letter in music and video library.
I use the original mce remote and everything else works fine.
I have added the jumpSMS command to the global settings for the 2-9 numbers in keyboard.xml.
<zero>Number0</o>
<one>Number1</one>
<two>JumpSMS2</two>
<three>JumpSMS3</three>
<four>JumpSMS4</four>
<five>JumpSMS5</five>
<six>JumpSMS6</six>
<seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
<eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
<nine>JumpSMS9</nine>

I have not added the "Elitegamer" registry file because i have done a lot of modifications in the registry myself.
Is there something in the registry that needs to be added for JumpSMS to work?
If i use my PC keyboard i can jump to letters using shift+"letter"
I have a swedish keyboard configuration in windows.

1- Not sure if this works with the swedish keyboard layout, but you need to set your numerical 2-9 buttons in the registry to send 2-9 respectively. Anything other than this will not work.

2- Then in keyboard.xml you need to make sure that

Code:
<one>Number1</one>
      <two>JumpSMS2</two>
      <three>JumpSMS3</three>
      <four>JumpSMS4</four>
      <five>JumpSMS5</five>
      <six>JumpSMS6</six>
      <seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
      <eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
      <nine>JumpSMS9</nine>

are in the

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>

section.

If you still can not manage to make it work then backup your own registry settings and keyboard.xml somewhere safe, then download my "Keyboard.xml v1.81" and "Config.reg v1.25" then test if the jump sms works. If it still does not work then it might be the swedish keyboard not sending the usual numeric keys.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
EG.

- sajberman - 2011-06-23

elitegamer360 Wrote:1- Not sure if this works with the swedish keyboard layout, but you need to set your numerical 2-9 buttons in the registry to send 2-9 respectively. Anything other than this will not work.

2- Then in keyboard.xml you need to make sure that

Code:
<one>Number1</one>
      <two>JumpSMS2</two>
      <three>JumpSMS3</three>
      <four>JumpSMS4</four>
      <five>JumpSMS5</five>
      <six>JumpSMS6</six>
      <seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
      <eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
      <nine>JumpSMS9</nine>

are in the

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>

section.

If you still can not manage to make it work then backup your own registry settings and keyboard.xml somewhere safe, then download my "Keyboard.xml v1.81" and "Config.reg v1.25" then test if the jump sms works. If it still does not work then it might be the swedish keyboard not sending the usual numeric keys.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
EG.

Thank you EG for your support, i will try it tomorrow.
I will also try your reg file.
**Sajberman**

- Meelobee - 2011-07-03

Hi,

Can you help me get this remote to work in XBMC? I have a Mplay 202 VFD display and it comes with this MCE remote. However I cannot get it to work in XBMC.

1- What Operating system are you using? The version of the OS i.e. Beta, Final Release, Ultimate etc..? 32bit or 64bit?
Windows 7 Ultimate edition 32 Bit.
2- What Remote are using? Is it Microsoft Comaptible or is it Microsoft Certified?
VF4520 Remote came with Mplay 202 from VLsystems.
3- Was the Remote Certified for use with Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7?
Windows XP
4- What IR receiver are you using? HTPC built-in or a USB one? Did the IR receiver come with your remote or did you buy it separately?
USB, receiver is on the print of the VFD display
5- IF you are using a USB IR receiver have you got a built-in IR receiver in your HTPC by any chance? Have you disabled the Built-in IR receiver before using the USB one?
No other IR receivers than the one on the VFD display
6- Is your IR Receiver listed as "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" under the "Human Interface Devices" in the "Device Manager"?
No
7- Have you tried any kind of software before trying my customised setup? Have you used any apps like EventGhost before using my setup? This is*IMPORTANT, if you used Eventghost in the past you might still have the "Hid service disabled" then you need to Enable the HID service again by*UNTICKING*"Disable hid Service"*in EventGhost.
Please let me know which version of the .reg file you used or if you used the Auto installer method?
Haven't used eventghost, here do I find the .reg version?
9- If its Keyboard.xml issue, then please include what version did you use and where did you put it? Also if you changed anything in the Keyboard.xml in the system installation folder of XBMC?
no changes, 'out of the box' XBMC
10- Finally What XBMC version are you using?
Dharma 10.1

I ran the autoinstaller and rebooted, but the remote is not working. Does this mean it's not compatible, or do I need to make some manual changes?

- elitegamer360 - 2011-07-03

@ Meelobee: Thanks for answering the troubleshooting questions :-) unfourtinatly your remote does not use the Microsoft "ehome" driver therefore my setup will not work with your remote.

You can run autosetup again and select uninstall to completely remove "XBMCCustomregis".

Now if your remote can control Windows Media center then I assume that your remote can do basic functionality in XBMC i.e. Play, pause and stop etc... The only way to to configure your remote is to find out what each button sends using showkey.exe then you can add the shortcut keys that is displayed in showkey to keyboard.xml which you can find in this path "%AppData%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps". You can use this page as a guide! See section "R2" of the tutorial. If you require any more help then let me know. Big Grin

Cheers,
EG.

- outatouch0 - 2011-07-13

I read your first post in this thread and it mentions Camelot? Is everything on the first post(s) current to Dharma 10.1 ?
So many remote guides,threads,how to's are from 2008 I have no idea what is current or what is old.