Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

- BEKO86 - 2011-08-31

I had posted on another thread before I found yours, I have one of those HP receivers that I use with a harmony 650. It was previously working under linux (after overcoming lirc issues).

Anyhow I have now moved over to WHS11 (which is 64bit).

in my device manager the receiver is listed as eHome Infrared Transceiver but the drivers for this device are not installed. Ive spend ages trying to fix this on my own before asking for help.

- BEKO86 - 2011-09-01

Ignore my previous post sorted!

I am using a Harmony 650 remote, to enable starting xbmc what do I need to map to the green button?

- frieten - 2011-09-02

can anyone help me out please. im using an AHK script called remoteKC, lets me use my MCE remote as a keyboard and a mouse but it requires the * key to press shift+8

so can anyone tell me how i can make it so * presses shift+8?

- elitegamer360 - 2011-09-02

BEKO86 Wrote:Ignore my previous post sorted!

I am using a Harmony 650 remote, to enable starting xbmc what do I need to map to the green button?

If you are going to use my GSB script then you need to map your green button to "Win-Alt-Enter".

frieten Wrote:can anyone help me out please. im using an AHK script called remoteKC, lets me use my MCE remote as a keyboard and a mouse but it requires the * key to press shift+8

so can anyone tell me how i can make it so * presses shift+8?

you need to add the script below in between the current scripts that you have in your AHK file:

VK6A::Send {+VK38}

return

Hope this helps, for both of you :-).

Cheers,
EG.

- BEKO86 - 2011-09-03

Thanks for the info, appreciated!

Are you familiar with the Harmony software? II have no idea how to map keyboard strokes.

- elitegamer360 - 2011-09-03

BEKO86 Wrote:Thanks for the info, appreciated!

Are you familiar with the Harmony software? II have no idea how to map keyboard strokes.

No, not really! I have never used a harmony remote before. But I can remember that I read somewhere that Harmony remote can not send multiple keyboard shortcut combinations and it might be a software limitation I think but I might be wrong.

Anyways, choose a button on your remote that you would like to start XBMC with. Then tell me what that button sends so that I can tell you how to modify the GSB script in order to make it work like you want.

Cheers,
EG.

No EventGhost and still slow :/ - babca - 2011-09-05

1. elitegamer360's (great) Registry config, Win7&XBMC

2. Logitech Harmony 650

2. HP Media Center IR Infrared USB Receiver OVU400103/00
from luoluohun (ebay) 2 months ago

3. 'MCE Remote' device in Harmony setup

4. tweaked delays (100ms, 100ms) and decreased the setting in Device > Troubleshoot > HTPC responds too many times or only occasionally

After step 4, the remote is usable, but there is still annoying IR queuing when scrolling in menus (=multiple presses send too slowly after each other).

What to try to improve performance? I have not found any further tips than not to use EventGhost etc.

Thanks to all who will try to help

- elitegamer360 - 2011-09-05

babca Wrote:1. elitegamer360's (great) Registry config, Win7&XBMC

2. Logitech Harmony 650

2. HP Media Center IR Infrared USB Receiver OVU400103/00
from luoluohun (ebay) 2 months ago

3. 'MCE Remote' device in Harmony setup

4. tweaked delays (100ms, 100ms) and decreased the setting in Device > Troubleshoot > HTPC responds too many times or only occasionally

After step 4, the remote is usable, but there is still annoying IR queuing when scrolling in menus (=multiple presses send too slowly after each other).

What to try to improve performance? I have not found any further tips than not to use EventGhost etc.

Thanks to all who will try to help

You welcome babca :-)

Not sure if that will help but try turn debounce off it usually only occurs with the Harmony remotes and does not effect MCE remotes. Debounce off fixes multiple key presses of the same button which could result in a single key press to register hence it might look like a delay. If that does not help then I would suggest that you visit this thread that is specific to Harmony remotes as you may get better help there.

Here how to disable Debounce:

1- Download this zip file and extract it to any where you like "desktop will do".

2- Run the extracted file Create.reg.backup.desktop.bat This will actually read all your MCE remote settings that are saved in the registry so you will be to adjust the part we want without losing all your settings.

3- When you double click to run the .bat file, you should Instantly find another file created on your desktop called Custom_setup.reg

4- Right click on it and select EDIT.

5- on the fifth line you'll see ""EnableDebounce"=dword:00000001" This is the default windows setting and none of my setups modify it!

6- Change it to "EnableDebounce"=dword:00000000" Setting this to ZERO will disable debounce.

7- Now save, Exit the notepad, double click on the file and when asked to continue click on YES!

8- Now restart your PC to apply the new setting.

I hope this helps a bit but if you still have issue go back to the harmony software and try to adjust the timings again. Otherwise as I told you at the start this thread might be useful to post for help.

Cheers,
EG.

- zpike1 - 2011-09-08

Got the AHK file in my startup folder. Open XMBC when i turn the computer on. But it dosen't bring XMBC in front, I still have the systray from windows at the bottom. Any way to fix that, TIA Smile (win7 64bit home edition)

- elitegamer360 - 2011-09-09

zpike1 Wrote:Got the AHK file in my startup folder. Open XBMC when i turn the computer on. But it dosen't bring XBMC in front, I still have the systray from windows at the bottom. Any way to fix that, TIA Smile (win7 64bit home edition)

Is that something that happened recently, because I can remember that once you told me that every thing is working fine Rolleyes

Can you please be more specific, tell me exactly what happens! I have written an improved version of the GSB scripts that I believe solves the issue of XBMC goes to the background without the ability to recover it again.

I have been testing it for months now as I have added multi screen support to the script as well, but I was holding off releasing it as I was waiting for XBMC Eden to be released so I can do compatibility tests before releasing. If the problem with your script persists, I will try to release an updated version of the Autosetup and GSB scripts on the 13th of September at 21:00 GMT time. :-)

Cheers,
EG.

- zpike1 - 2011-09-09

hehe was working fine, before i did a update.

windows starts, and after that xbmc. everything looks fine for a sec or so, then the systraybar pops up in front.

- elitegamer360 - 2011-09-10

zpike1 Wrote:hehe was working fine, before i did a update.

windows starts, and after that xbmc. everything looks fine for a sec or so, then the systraybar pops up in front.

I see Laugh

Not sure why this is happening, but did you actually check your taskbar settings, try and set it to auto hide if the problem persist! Because it sounds like there are something trying to display a notification of some sort which actually makes the taskbar pop in front of XBMC. Also try and check the notification icons see if there is anything that can be set as "Hide icon and Notifications" as it might help.

Also if this happen try and click on XBMC window using your mouse, if it does not fully take focus then there might be another problem causing this.

Anyways Will release an update as promissed and hope it will fix your issue by then.

Cheers,
EG.

- zpike1 - 2011-09-10

elitegamer360 Wrote:I see Laugh

Not sure why this is happening, but did you actually check your taskbar settings, try and set it to auto hide if the problem persist! Because it sounds like there are something trying to display a notification of some sort which actually makes the taskbar pop in front of XBMC. Also try and check the notification icons see if there is anything that can be set as "Hide icon and Notifications" as it might help.

Also if this happen try and click on XBMC window using your mouse, if it does not fully take focus then there might be another problem causing this.

Anyways Will release an update as promissed and hope it will fix your issue by then.

Cheers,
EG.

If i click the launch XBMC button it brings XBMC in front. So its not a big problem ..just one of dose things that are abit confusingSmile

Thanks for your help and im looking forward for the update.

- Beer40oz - 2011-09-11

@ elitegamer360 thank you so much for this.... where have I been with out this remote. This is so WAF..... thank you.

- BEKO86 - 2011-09-12

elitegamer360 Wrote:No, not really! I have never used a harmony remote before. But I can remember that I read somewhere that Harmony remote can not send multiple keyboard shortcut combinations and it might be a software limitation I think but I might be wrong.

Anyways, choose a button on your remote that you would like to start XBMC with. Then tell me what that button sends so that I can tell you how to modify the GSB script in order to make it work like you want.

Cheers,
EG.

Silly question how do I know what info the button sends never done that in windows.