Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

- TerranQ - 2011-11-04

Not sure if this is the proper place for this, but is there a way I can assign a key to run a .bat file?

- jhsrennie - 2011-11-04

Yes, though it takes a bit of effort. You need to write a short Python script to run the .bat file then map the key to run the Python script. For example create a script called RunMyBatch.py containing:

Code:
import subprocess

child = subprocess.Popen("D:\\XBMC\\Programs\\MyBatchFile.bat")
rc = child.wait()

and then use the key mapping:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <space mod="ctrl">RunScript(D:\XBMC\Programs\RunMyBatch.py)</space>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

JR

- elitegamer360 - 2011-11-05

olinn Wrote:Hi!
Thanks for a great tutorial and awesome forum!

I just finished setting xbmc up on my asrock ion ht and it works awesomely. I installed the package in the first post, and the big green windows media center button now launches XBMC (actually also wmc, have to disable that) .. however the main reason for installing this extra package was to bind just some free button to return me to the HOME screen, that is the first screen of xbmc. If I press the green big button that starts XBMC when its not on, it just changes xbmc to windowed, and back again to fullscreen

I can't seem to make it work, I've installed the package here, and installed autohotkey,

What am I doing wrong?

I have the eHome driver installed.

I need to know what Remote and IR receiver "built in or USB" are using? what are the IR receiver remote drivers listed as in the device manager? also what operating system are you using and if its "32bit or 64bit" version.

And what XBMC version are you using? did you not replace my Keyboard.xml, or installed XBMC after you installed the auto setup for any reason?

What you experiencing here is not normal and something is going wrong somewhere on your setup!

Let me know, then I find out what to do next :-)

Cheers,
EG.

- Lukas1 - 2011-11-10

Hi elitegamer360,

I am not that fit in english so I don't know, if I have fully understood your tutorials.

Can you please tell me, if I can configure my remote like I want to?
The Backbutton (left to the green Windows button) has no function in XBMC. I like it to do as the backspace key on my keyboard (and a few things more).

Your troubleshooting:

1- Windows 7, professional, SP1, 64bit

2- What Remote are using? Is it Microsoft Comaptible or is it Microsoft Certified?

OrigenAE RC197 Remote Controller
I don't know, if it is certified.

3- Was the Remote Certified for use with Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7?

I think vista.

4- What IR receiver are you using? HTPC built-in or a USB one? Did the IR receiver come with your remote or did you buy it separately?

The IR Receiver is built in my OrigenAE S14V. VF210

5- IF you are using a USB IR receiver have you got a built-in IR receiver in your HTPC by any chance? Have you disabled the Built-in IR receiver before using the USB one?
6- Is your IR Receiver listed as "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" under the "Human Interface Devices" in the "Device Manager"?

No, it isn't.

7- Have you tried any kind of software before trying my customised setup? Have you used any apps like EventGhost before using my setup? This is*IMPORTANT, if you used Eventghost in the past you might still have the "Hid service disabled" then you need to Enable the HID service again by*UNTICKING*"Disable hid Service"*in EventGhost.
Please let me know which version of the .reg file you used or if you used the Auto installer method?

I installed EventGhost with the lirc Plugin.

8 is missing Big Grin

9- If its Keyboard.xml issue, then please include what version did you use and where did you put it? Also if you changed anything in the Keyboard.xml in the system installation folder of XBMC?

I chancged it a few times, but now I have the original one in C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\keymaps

10- Finally What XBMC version are you using?

XBMC 10.1

- CranialBlaze - 2011-11-12

I loaded the config reg file and all works great except the mute button, i prefer my volume to use global instead of internal, managed to get the volume up and down working fine but the 04 00 05 original according to the image and pdf are not working as mute, although i accidentally noticed its triggering next track if winamps open.

What would the correct code be please. Win7 7 X64

Thanks

- jhsrennie - 2011-11-12

The MS defaults for the volume and mute are:

Code:
0e,00,00,00,01,e2,00,\ ; Volume mute
10,00,00,00,01,e9,00,\ ; Volume up
11,00,00,00,01,ea,00,\ ; Volume down

JR

- elitegamer360 - 2011-11-14

Lukas1 Wrote:Hi elitegamer360,

I am not that fit in english so I don't know, if I have fully understood your tutorials.

Can you please tell me, if I can configure my remote like I want to?
The Backbutton (left to the green Windows button) has no function in XBMC. I like it to do as the backspace key on my keyboard (and a few things more).

Your troubleshooting:

1- Windows 7, professional, SP1, 64bit

2- What Remote are using? Is it Microsoft Comaptible or is it Microsoft Certified?

OrigenAE RC197 Remote Controller
I don't know, if it is certified.

3- Was the Remote Certified for use with Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7?

I think vista.

4- What IR receiver are you using? HTPC built-in or a USB one? Did the IR receiver come with your remote or did you buy it separately?

The IR Receiver is built in my OrigenAE S14V. VF210

5- IF you are using a USB IR receiver have you got a built-in IR receiver in your HTPC by any chance? Have you disabled the Built-in IR receiver before using the USB one?
6- Is your IR Receiver listed as "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" under the "Human Interface Devices" in the "Device Manager"?

No, it isn't.

7- Have you tried any kind of software before trying my customised setup? Have you used any apps like EventGhost before using my setup? This is*IMPORTANT, if you used Eventghost in the past you might still have the "Hid service disabled" then you need to Enable the HID service again by*UNTICKING*"Disable hid Service"*in EventGhost.
Please let me know which version of the .reg file you used or if you used the Auto installer method?

I installed EventGhost with the lirc Plugin.

8 is missing Big Grin

9- If its Keyboard.xml issue, then please include what version did you use and where did you put it? Also if you changed anything in the Keyboard.xml in the system installation folder of XBMC?

I chancged it a few times, but now I have the original one in C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\keymaps

10- Finally What XBMC version are you using?

XBMC 10.1

Looks like your HTPC does not use the Microsoft "eHome" driver so that will make it harder to setup your remote like you want.

In regard to the "back button" you need to edit your registry key to "01,24,02". For example if you edit my "Config.v.1.25" file and look for
Code:
23,00,00,00,04,00,2a,\ ; [Back]
then change it to
Code:
23,00,00,00,01,24,02,\ ; [Back]
This will then reset your back button to its original function, I am afraid that you will not be able to change what your "green start button" does.

tbh you need a proper RC6 IR receiver like this one so that your remote can be programmed like you want.

Thanks for pointing out that I am missing number 8 Big Grin , will fix it soon Wink

Cheers,
EG.

- Lukas1 - 2011-11-14

Hi EG,

thank you very much for your answer.

You say, that I won't be able to chance the green button Sad

I'll test EventGhost - perhaps that will make me satisfied...

- real_per - 2011-11-15

Hello all Smile

I just started moving from SageTV to XBMC, and I've been doing a lot of reading and searching for 2 days.

I have a MCE Remote on Windows 7 64b, and it works.

I just can not find a "guide" for how to use a remote in XBMC.
I've seen a lot of wiki pages explaining which remotes works, setting up buttons presses etc., but I havent seen a guide that explains how to actually use the remote in XBMC ?

I've found a picture here: http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/remapping.html but it's not very user friendly or complete..

What I'm looking for are pictures like this, that will tell me what each button does, in each window, eg. watching a movie, when I'm in a menu, browsing music etc. That would help me getting the most out of XBMC. Does that exist ?
It doesn't necessarily have to be pictures, text explanation or just a list of buttons and what they do would be great too!
http://i.imgur.com/QxUspl.jpg

- adsi - 2011-11-15

elitegamer360 Wrote:Not really sure what the "HP SP Key" is on your remote but if your IR receiver uses the "eHome" Driver and it does not respond to your remote signals it does not mean the remote do not work. You need to install the latest XBMCCustomregis installer from here as it maps almost all of the known remote buttons. You can always uninstall it from the installer it self and it will return your PC like it was, if you think it does not help.

You can always use JR's magic Showkey.exe as it will tell you exactly if your remote buttons send anything at all.

Sorry for the delay in replying again, been busy lately. If you need any more help let me know!

Cheers,
EG.

Hi. EG

Thanks for your reply, but sorry for more questions to bother you..
(1).Assume the RC6 receiver have the red-light twinkling when button, does it mean "XBMCCustomregis Setup v1.2.14" could be possible to active most buttons to work in XBMC, even though my remote set in Media Smart Connect mode.
ps1.Media Smart Connect mode: All buttons cannot work in XBMC or MCE directly, but RC6 receiver can be twinkling when every button.
ps2.HP MCE mode: Most buttons can control in XBMC except for "HP SP Key". Besides, only "HP SP key" have no twinkling on RC6 receiver.
ps3.HP SP key: Favorites, Search, Media

(2) Does no red-light twinkling on RC6 mean no signal sent to RC6?

(3).Does it must show "button code" when using ShowKey in which HP remote mode? If not shown, does it mean don't wast time on "HP SP key"?

(4).If i successfully install your "XBMCCustomregis Setup v1.2.14", does this means it'll automatically fit most buttons to be XBMC using? if i want to know every button's job, how can i do? if i want to change the button job, just modify the keyboard.xml, right?

- jhsrennie - 2011-11-15

real_per Wrote:I just can not find a "guide" for how to use a remote in XBMC.
I've seen a lot of wiki pages explaining which remotes works, setting up buttons presses etc., but I havent seen a guide that explains how to actually use the remote in XBMC ?

It should be obvious what the buttons do. If there are buttons that don't have an obvious use, e.g. "Live TV", then they generally don't do anything.

Can you give us some examples of what buttons don't have an obvious action.

JR

- elitegamer360 - 2011-11-16

Lukas1 Wrote:Hi EG,

thank you very much for your answer.

You say, that I won't be able to chance the green button Sad

I'll test EventGhost - perhaps that will make me satisfied...

No probs :-), if your receiver does not use the "eHome" Driver then yes you can try to use EventGhost because you will not be able to remap your remote buttons like you want, at least not all of them!

real_per Wrote:Hello all Smile

I just started moving from SageTV to XBMC, and I've been doing a lot of reading and searching for 2 days.

I have a MCE Remote on Windows 7 64b, and it works.

I just can not find a "guide" for how to use a remote in XBMC.

I've found a picture here: http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/remapping.html but it's not very user friendly or complete..

What I'm looking for are pictures like this, that will tell me what each button does, in each window, eg. watching a movie, when I'm in a menu, browsing music etc. That would help me getting the most out of XBMC. Does that exist ?
It doesn't necessarily have to be pictures, text explanation or just a list of buttons and what they do would be great too!
http://i.imgur.com/QxUspl.jpg

The picture you are referring to on my site is complete and it tells you what every button sends when you install "my custom setup", bearing in mind that you need to use a compatible RC6 IR receiver and remote.

For example the Music button is associated to byte number [47] in the Picture look for number [47] on the table and it will tell you what that button does. Obviously buttons like "play, pause, FWD and REW etc..." do not need explanation.

adsi Wrote:Hi. EG

Thanks for your reply, but sorry for more questions to bother you..
(1).Assume the RC6 receiver have the red-light twinkling when button, does it mean "XBMCCustomregis Setup v1.2.14" could be possible to active most buttons to work in XBMC, even though my remote set in Media Smart Connect mode.
ps1.Media Smart Connect mode: All buttons cannot work in XBMC or MCE directly, but RC6 receiver can be twinkling when every button.
ps2.HP MCE mode: Most buttons can control in XBMC except for "HP SP Key". Besides, only "HP SP key" have no twinkling on RC6 receiver.
ps3.HP SP key: Favorites, Search, Media

(2) Does no red-light twinkling on RC6 mean no signal sent to RC6?

(3).Does it must show "button code" when using ShowKey in which HP remote mode? If not shown, does it mean don't wast time on "HP SP key"?

(4).If i successfully install your "XBMCCustomregis Setup v1.2.14", does this means it'll automatically fit most buttons to be XBMC using? if i want to know every button's job, how can i do? if i want to change the button job, just modify the keyboard.xml, right?

(1) I would not know really I have not got your remote to test, but it does not sound like installing "XBMCCustomregis Setup" will make "PS1 mode" work. But you can always try, and as I said you can uninstall "XBMCCustomregis Setup" at anytime and it will return your PC/Laptop to its original settings.

(2) Yes. Again to make sure then test with ShowKey if nothing is displayed on ShowKey when using "PS2 mode" then NO signal is received.

(3) Yes it must show something on showkey, but thats not always the case when testing remotes. Anyways do not waste your time on "PS3 mode" as it sounds like limited functionality to browser mode control only!

(4) I think you need to use "HP MCE mode" to control XBMC, if you install my setup and you use "HP MCE mode" and you do have the "eHome" driver then the setup should map most of your buttons, except in [PS1 and PS2 modes]. Again if you want to know what every button do see this picture at the end of the page or use showkey to find the keyboard shortcut that it sends, then in Keyboard.xml you will see what it does. And yes you can use Keyboard.xml to modify the function in XBMC.

Hope this helps Smile

Cheers,
EG.

- real_per - 2011-11-16

elitegamer360 Wrote:The picture you are referring to on my site is complete and it tells you what every button sends when you install "my custom setup", bearing in mind that you need to use a compatible RC6 IR receiver and remote.

For example the Music button is associated to byte number [47] in the Picture look for number [47] on the table and it will tell you what that button does. Obviously buttons like "play, pause, FWD and REW etc..." do not need explanation.

jhsrennie Wrote:It should be obvious what the buttons do. If there are buttons that don't have an obvious use, e.g. "Live TV", then they generally don't do anything.

Can you give us some examples of what buttons don't have an obvious action.

JR

It probably also has to do with the fact that I'm coming from SageTV which was a simpler program, and therefore had a simpler interface.

But there's still some things that are confusing to me;

In the picture, the star button is marked with 0a, but no explanation is given on its function.
When I press it it works like a back button, going back through menus, but the back button doesn't give the same effects.. ?

Also, reading through the thread, I see a lot of good ideas, like a button to clear the queue. I think it would be smart to have good information like that, in a more accessible place, like a wiki, instead of buried in a thread.

The remote picture aren't really noob friendly either, with its confusing numbering system. Maybe I'll try to make my own, when I finally learn all the commands.

- real_per - 2011-11-16

real_per Wrote:In the picture, the star button is marked with 0a, but no explanation is given on its function.
When I press it it works like a back button, going back through menus, but the back button doesn't give the same effects.. ?

Found out myself. Apparently it's the esc button, that act as "'PreviousMenu'".

After some searching, I found your great guide here: http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/remaptut.html , and built a great custom remote button mapping.

Only one question left:
You have youe LiveTV button as "Toggle subtitles on/off"
Using ShowKey.exe I found out that it corresponds to the "t" button.

So in keyboard.xml I deleted <t>ShowSubtitles</t> from under <FullscreenVideo>.

Instead I made a <t>ActivateWindow(videofiles)</t> under <global>.

I searched for<t>, and this is the only entry. However, when I'm watching a Video and press LiveTV, it still says "subtitles not found" . Everywhere else, it takes me to the videofiles view ?

I have restarted xbmc. Any idea what's going on ?

- elitegamer360 - 2011-11-16

real_per Wrote:Found out myself. Apparently it's the esc button, that act as "'PreviousMenu'".

After some searching, I found your great guide here: http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/remaptut.html , and built a great custom remote button mapping.

Only one question left:
You have youe LiveTV button as "Toggle subtitles on/off"
Using ShowKey.exe I found out that it corresponds to the "t" button.

So in keyboard.xml I deleted <t>ShowSubtitles</t> from under <FullscreenVideo>.

Instead I made a <t>ActivateWindow(videofiles)</t> under <global>.

I searched for<t>, and this is the only entry. However, when I'm watching a Video and press LiveTV, it still says "subtitles not found" . Everywhere else, it takes me to the videofiles view ?

I have restarted xbmc. Any idea what's going on ?

Make sure when you read the codes againts the buttons you do read them correctly! As "0a" corresponds to the "clear" button and not the "star" button, the star button is "1d" :-)

In regard to the subtitles, I will double check this for you, I just want to look in to my keyboard.xml again and I am not home at the moment. But in general what you are doing is right. Where is the keyboard.xml you're modifying is saved in? System folder or the user folder?

Edit: Yes, just checked at home and there should be one "<t>" anyways what you want should look like this though <t>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideos)</t> as noted here

Cheers,
EG.