Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

- elitegamer360 - 2011-11-24

stax76 Wrote:@elitegamer360

That's the same reg file I think, I just tried it again and the info button don't work in MS MC, it sends Ctrl+D, MS MC on my PC will only react on Ctrl+D sent from keyboard but not from my remote, it's this MS model:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=File:Mceteletextsmall.jpg

Of course its not going to work if you just use "Muti.app.Config.v0.6.reg" you also need to use the one of the Autohotkey scripts that I wrote! use the one depending on your OS, it has a specific patch/code that I have writen that make Windows Media Center detects "Ctrl+D".

You need to follow everything I said on that post not just part of it! Smile

Cheers,
EG.

- elitegamer360 - 2011-11-24

cd492 Wrote:Thanks elitegamer360, this works with the US Keyboard Layout.

But I'm using the European Layout on my two clients.
So I have to push 2 Buttons (Alt) + (-) instead of just (\). The (-) is the Button right next to 0.
In MCERemoteMapper I tried OemMinus and Alt + OemMinus as well. Both didn't work. Any Idea which Key I have to select to get this working?

That is weird because I use a "GB/UK" layout and it works on my system! What are you exactly trying to do? if this specific combination is proving difficult then use another :-)

Cheers,
EG.

- cd492 - 2011-11-24

elitegamer360 Wrote:That is weird because I use a "GB/UK" layout and it works on my system! What are you exactly trying to do? if this specific combination is proving difficult then use another :-)

Cheers,
EG.

I`m using the german layout, don`t know if there is a difference to the uk.

I want to switch between the fullscreen and window mode with one button on the mce. On the keyboard I have to push Alt and - to do that.

- elitegamer360 - 2011-11-25

cd492 Wrote:I`m using the german layout, don`t know if there is a difference to the uk.

I want to switch between the fullscreen and window mode with one button on the mce. On the keyboard I have to push Alt and - to do that.

well, simply open Keyboard.xml and look for <backslash>ToggleFullScreen</backslash> then just assign ToggleFullScreen to any combination you like for example <u mod="ctrl,alt">ToggleFullScreen</u> in keyboard.xml.

You do not need to use backslash at all if you are having issues with your keyboard layout! Simple :-)

Cheers,
EG.

- jhsrennie - 2011-11-25

cd492 Wrote:I`m using the german layout, don`t know if there is a difference to the uk.

XBMC v10.1 isn't very good at handling any keyboards other than the US. The impending next version (and the nightly builds) is much better in this respect.

JR

- AbMagFab - 2011-11-25

I was going to do this manually, but just ran the couple of programs from the OP, and it worked perfectly! Win64 with XBMC nightly.

Thanks for the great work! Saved me a bunch of time.

- _F12 - 2011-12-08

Is there any way to reverse this? I did the registry changes (through the MCE Remote plugin, http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=81687), to use XBMC with my Harmony remote before discovering there was a better way (by using the MCE keyboard device rather than a remote per se). I'd now like to use WMC concurrently with XBMC for its TV capabilities but none of the WMC buttons seem to work (primarily, the Green button to launch WMC). I assume this is because of the registry changes to make the MCE remote work with XBMC.

I have used both the "Restore to default" options in the addon but there doesn't seem to be any change in being able to launch WMC. Suggestions?

- jhsrennie - 2011-12-08

MCERemote configures the remote to send the MCE shortcuts like ctrl-shift-P for Play, so the remote should still work with WMC.

The green button won't work because MCERemote changes this to ctrl-shift-W (most XBMC users don't want the green button to start WMC!). To change the green button back to the default open MCERemote, select "Configure MCERemote settings" and set the Windows button to nothing i.e. delete all the text and leave it blank. Remember to click OK to save your changes - the add-on doesn't warn you if you forget!

If you just want the default settings back open MCERemote and select "Apply Windows default settings to remote". Note that this will stop most of the buttons working in XBMC.

JR

- elitegamer360 - 2011-12-08

AbMagFab Wrote:I was going to do this manually, but just ran the couple of programs from the OP, and it worked perfectly! Win64 with XBMC nightly.

Thanks for the great work! Saved me a bunch of time.

You welcome :-)

Cheers,
EG.

- Beer40oz - 2011-12-13

Still love this EG....

Happy Holidays!

- adrianf74 - 2012-01-06

1- What Operating system are you using? The version of the OS i.e. Beta, Final Release, Ultimate etc..? 32bit or 64bit? W7 Home Premium 64-Bit
2- What Remote are using? Is it Microsoft Comaptible or is it Microsoft Certified? Zotac AD10 Supplied - Compatible
3- Was the Remote Certified for use with Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7? Doesn't say - supplied with HTPC
4- What IR receiver are you using? HTPC built-in or a USB one? Did the IR receiver come with your remote or did you buy it separately? Using internal one on HTPC - no extender.
5- IF you are using a USB IR receiver have you got a built-in IR receiver in your HTPC by any chance? Have you disabled the Built-in IR receiver before using the USB one? n/a
6- Is your IR Receiver listed as "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" under the "Human Interface Devices" in the "Device Manager"? Yes. It Is.
7- Have you tried any kind of software before trying my customised setup? Have you used any apps like EventGhost before using my setup? This is*IMPORTANT, if you used Eventghost in the past you might still have the "Hid service disabled" then you need to Enable the HID service again by*UNTICKING*"Disable hid Service"*in EventGhost. No.
8- Please let me know which version of the .reg file you used or if you used the Auto installer method? Tried manually first step-by-step. Confirmed three times that it was done right. Tried the auto-installer as a last resort.
9- If its Keyboard.xml issue, then please include what version did you use and where did you put it? Also if you changed anything in the Keyboard.xml in the system installation folder of XBMC? [n/a]
10- Finally What XBMC version are you using? Eden 11.0 Beta 1.

My main purpose in doing all of this is to get the "Green" windows button on the remote to launch XBMC - I'd like nothing more than to dump the remote and replace it with my Harmony 650 but I need to get the one command to work.

No matter what I do with the green windows button on the remote, nothing ever happens. The remote works fine in XBMC for playback functions but it will not launch XBMC.

Any help is appreciated.

- elitegamer360 - 2012-01-06

adrianf74 Wrote:1- What Operating system are you using? The version of the OS i.e. Beta, Final Release, Ultimate etc..? 32bit or 64bit? W7 Home Premium 64-Bit
2- What Remote are using? Is it Microsoft Comaptible or is it Microsoft Certified? Zotac AD10 Supplied - Compatible
3- Was the Remote Certified for use with Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7? Doesn't say - supplied with HTPC
4- What IR receiver are you using? HTPC built-in or a USB one? Did the IR receiver come with your remote or did you buy it separately? Using internal one on HTPC - no extender.
5- IF you are using a USB IR receiver have you got a built-in IR receiver in your HTPC by any chance? Have you disabled the Built-in IR receiver before using the USB one? n/a
6- Is your IR Receiver listed as "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" under the "Human Interface Devices" in the "Device Manager"? Yes. It Is.
7- Have you tried any kind of software before trying my customised setup? Have you used any apps like EventGhost before using my setup? This is*IMPORTANT, if you used Eventghost in the past you might still have the "Hid service disabled" then you need to Enable the HID service again by*UNTICKING*"Disable hid Service"*in EventGhost. No.
8- Please let me know which version of the .reg file you used or if you used the Auto installer method? Tried manually first step-by-step. Confirmed three times that it was done right. Tried the auto-installer as a last resort.
9- If its Keyboard.xml issue, then please include what version did you use and where did you put it? Also if you changed anything in the Keyboard.xml in the system installation folder of XBMC? [n/a]
10- Finally What XBMC version are you using? Eden 11.0 Beta 1.

My main purpose in doing all of this is to get the "Green" windows button on the remote to launch XBMC - I'd like nothing more than to dump the remote and replace it with my Harmony 650 but I need to get the one command to work.

No matter what I do with the green windows button on the remote, nothing ever happens. The remote works fine in XBMC for playback functions but it will not launch XBMC.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi adrianf74, all seems as a good eHome remote but it does not seem to work like one! Is there anything else listed other than the "ehome" driver under the infrared devices, USB devices or the human devices. Also try showkey and tell me when you press the start green button what does showkey display.

TBH I think that your internal IR receiver is not built under microsoft's specifications, i.e uses another tech like intel or something else. I will wait for your reply but I think the simple solution to this is to disable the internal IR receiver and just buy an RC6 Microsoft certified receiver instead like this one

Cheers,
EG.

- adrianf74 - 2012-01-06

elitegamer360 Wrote:Hi adrianf74, all seems as a good eHome remote but it does not seem to work like one! Is there anything else listed other than the "ehome" driver under the infrared devices, USB devices or the human devices. Also try showkey and tell me when you press the start green button what does showkey display.

TBH I think that your internal IR receiver is not built under microsoft's specifications, i.e uses another tech like intel or something else. I will wait for your reply but I think the simple solution to this is to disable the internal IR receiver and just buy an RC6 Microsoft certified receiver instead like this one

Cheers,
EG.

Under HID in Device Manager, I see both the MS eHome Infrared Transceiver and ITECIR Infrared Receiver. What is interesting is since I installed the registry tweaks as you listed, the green microsoft button isn't registering anything in ShowKey. Any ideas? Or am I stuck using a mouse to get the application to start? [I really don't want to buy another receiver and tie up a USB port as I don't have many available].

Thanks.

- elitegamer360 - 2012-01-07

adrianf74 Wrote:Under HID in Device Manager, I see both the MS eHome Infrared Transceiver and ITECIR Infrared Receiver. What is interesting is since I installed the registry tweaks as you listed, the green microsoft button isn't registering anything in ShowKey. Any ideas? Or am I stuck using a mouse to get the application to start? [I really don't want to buy another receiver and tie up a USB port as I don't have many available].

Thanks.

Unfortunately it seems that the Infrared (IR) port on your Zotac AD10 are only compatible with a Zotac Remote and it is designed to only work with the Zotac HTPC hence the driver "ITECIR Infrared Receiver" is used.

True RC6 Receivers must be using only the "eHome" driver, anything else will render your IR receiver not RC6 compatible. Also the fact that you used the Auto install and still the Green start button is still not programmed and showkey is not displaying anything, then that means you will have to make your harmony remote learn your remote codes and you will not be able to use the Green start button to start XBMC.

The only way to remap every button on your remote is to use an RC6 IR receiver.

As a last resort if you do not want to replace your IR receiver, then I would suggest you try this! I do not know if it will work for you or not but it seems to do the job for some! [It modifies your Windows Media center files and it might cause your windows to crash! If you update Windows Media center you might have to repatch with this again. I only suggest this when everything else fails!]

Cheers,
EG.

- adrianf74 - 2012-01-08

elitegamer360 Wrote:Unfortunately it seems that the Infrared (IR) port on your Zotac AD10 are only compatible with a Zotac Remote and it is designed to only work with the Zotac HTPC hence the driver "ITECIR Infrared Receiver" is used.

True RC6 Receivers must be using only the "eHome" driver, anything else will render your IR receiver not RC6 compatible. Also the fact that you used the Auto install and still the Green start button is still not programmed and showkey is not displaying anything, then that means you will have to make your harmony remote learn your remote codes and you will not be able to use the Green start button to start XBMC.

The only way to remap every button on your remote is to use an RC6 IR receiver.

As a last resort if you do not want to replace your IR receiver, then I would suggest you try this! I do not know if it will work for you or not but it seems to do the job for some! [It modifies your Windows Media center files and it might cause your windows to crash! If you update Windows Media center you might have to repatch with this again. I only suggest this when everything else fails!]

Cheers,
EG.

Thanks EG for your in-depth knowledge with all of this. I ended up doing _THAT_ in order to get the MCE button to launch XBMC. I've even gotten as far as getting my Harmony Remote to talk to the ZBOX. I'm only stuck on trying to figure out how to get the EXIT button on my remote to exit out of XBMC; I realize this will be a sequence so I might try and build it (that is unless you have any ideas on this but I know this goes beyond the scope of this thread).