Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

- jhsrennie - 2012-01-30

publicENEMY Wrote:I would appreciate it if you could tell me what should i do.

I'm reluctant to comment because EliteGamer360's keymaps are carefully crafted. However if you press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

notepad "%appdata%\xbmc\userdata\keymaps\keyboard.xml"

click Ok and I think this will open EliteGamer360's keymap. Look for mappings like:

<two>JumpSMS2</two>

and either change "two" to "numpadtwo" or add another line so you have mappings for both <two> and <numpadtwo>.

JR

- publicENEMY - 2012-01-30

jhsrennie Wrote:I'm reluctant to comment because EliteGamer360's keymaps are carefully crafted. However if you press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

notepad "%appdata%\xbmc\userdata\keymaps\keyboard.xml"

click Ok and I think this will open EliteGamer360's keymap. Look for mappings like:

<two>JumpSMS2</two>

and either change "two" to "numpadtwo" or add another line so you have mappings for both <two> and <numpadtwo>.

JR

the info i need are to set both <two> and <numpadtwo> to Jumpsms2. Anyway, thanks. +1.

- publicENEMY - 2012-01-31

i connect my tv to my avr and my avr to my pc. when my avr is off(standby), i can repeatedly scroll if i hold left/right button in movies. but when my avr is on, the repeated scroll doesnt work. i have to press/release multiple times to scroll.

this seems unusual. what should i do to enable hold to scroll with my avr on?

thanks.

- publicENEMY - 2012-01-31

steppedup Wrote:Thanks EG, after your confirming that was abnormal behavior on the part of my system, I did some more troubleshooting and got it working perfectly!

Turns out that Intelliremote was still installed and was Launching on reboot.

The slow behavior of my remote was because of how Intelliremote handles hooking into Windows. I originally went with Intelliremote because it was a click and done solution - but it has a fatal flaw in not being able to scroll fast enough.

Just in case anyone else is wondering - here's what else I did to get this to work:

1. Reinstalled the EventGhost MCE Remote plug-in (this time leaving unchecked Disable HID).
  2. Killed the Intelliservice from running in Windows Services.
  3. Uninstalled EventGhost and Intelliremote.
  4. Rebooted.

Thanks again for the help!!!!

i have the exact same problem, except that i dont use eventghost and intelliremote. the problem(does not scroll when left/right button is hold) only occurs when i use my hdmi connected tv. if i use my dvi connected monitor, scroll is perfect. anyone experiencing the same problem.

thanks.

- spontex - 2012-01-31

Hello,

Last week I installed XBMC under Windows to see if I should switch from MediaPortal. I installed XBMCCustomRegis to get my Microsoft remote to work.
After that I decided to uninstall everything. I took care to select "Restore MCE defaults" under XBMCCustomRegis first.
Now my mouse has a buggy behaviour: the left button does the double action: "back + click" (back is the same as the left thumb button on some mouses).
I cannot get it fixed and am about to reinstall my computer (perhaps under Linux + XBMC!).

Did anyone experience this? Any idea?

Thanks

Please help - VictorDUA - 2012-02-01

I want to cofigure Microsoft remote with teletext buttons to work with WMC and XBMC. I try to some kind "syncronize" buttons. For example "i (info)" button send 0f,00,00,00,01,09,02, which is not recognize by XBMC. I change it to 0f,00,00,00,04,01,07, that Sends "ctrl-D" that is standard microsoft shortcut for "Details" function. And now become magic: when i press this button on remote WMC do not do nothing, when i press "ctrl+D" on keyboard "Details" work. ShowKey show same key
What i do wrong ? Thanx.

- elitegamer360 - 2012-02-02

publicENEMY Wrote:jumpsms seems to be not working with eden beta 2. can you update the keymaps to support this feature?

thanks

Thanks to jhsrennie for his help and you probably have this sorted by now. But I was holding off until Eden is finally released before I release a full update to XBMCCUSTOMREGIS! But no probs I will update the keyboard.xml accordingly and will release an update hopefully before the end of this week.

publicENEMY Wrote:i connect my tv to my avr and my avr to my pc. when my avr is off(standby), i can repeatedly scroll if i hold left/right button in movies. but when my avr is on, the repeated scroll doesnt work. i have to press/release multiple times to scroll.

this seems unusual. what should i do to enable hold to scroll with my avr on?

thanks.

It sounds like something is interfering with your PC remote receiver when you use the AVR. Check if the light is constantly blinking on your PC IR receiver after you switch on the AVR receiver! Do you use a seperate remote for the AVR? Please let us know how you setup your hardware as your problem does not seem to be software related! but I might be wrong with the little information you supplied. :-)

publicENEMY Wrote:i have the exact same problem, except that i dont use eventghost and intelliremote. the problem(does not scroll when left/right button is hold) only occurs when i use my hdmi connected tv. if i use my dvi connected monitor, scroll is perfect. anyone experiencing the same problem.

thanks.

I have my PC connected to a monitor using DVI and a 42" HD TV with no issues at all. Please give us more information about your remote receiver and where it is installed! It sounds like something interferes with your remote signals when you switch your TV on!

Cheers,
EG.

spontex Wrote:Hello,

Last week I installed XBMC under Windows to see if I should switch from MediaPortal. I installed XBMCCustomRegis to get my Microsoft remote to work.
After that I decided to uninstall everything. I took care to select "Restore MCE defaults" under XBMCCustomRegis first.
Now my mouse has a buggy behaviour: the left button does the double action: "back + click" (back is the same as the left thumb button on some mouses).
I cannot get it fixed and am about to reinstall my computer (perhaps under Linux + XBMC!).

Did anyone experience this? Any idea?

Thanks

I am afraid that XBMCCUSTOMREGIS has nothing to do with your mouse settings, and does not change anything in your mouse Behavior! So any problems that you might be experincing has nothing to do with "Restore MCE defaults". Scripts are available on my site and anyone with "know how" will be able to verify what I just said.

I know that I have created some autohotkey scripts that helped individuals in here that are mouse related but none of them are in XBMCCUSTOMREGIS anyways Smile

Cheers,
EG.

VictorDUA Wrote:I want to cofigure Microsoft remote with teletext buttons to work with WMC and XBMC. I try to some kind "syncronize" buttons. For example "i (info)" button send 0f,00,00,00,01,09,02, which is not recognize by XBMC. I change it to 0f,00,00,00,04,01,07, that Sends "ctrl-D" that is standard microsoft shortcut for "Details" function. And now become magic: when i press this button on remote WMC do not do nothing, when i press "ctrl+D" on keyboard "Details" work. ShowKey show same key
What i do wrong ? Thanx.

My friend you need to use THIS its been mentioned hundreds of times now, I will probably move it to the top of the first page instead of the last part lol Smile

If you do not want to use the full setup then make sure that you have "i" set to 0f,00,00,00,04,01,07, that Sends "ctrl-D" and use one of the Blind_Multi_GSB_scripts v0.7.85, choose the correct one depending on your Windows system.

Cheers,
EG.

- Chris Maes - 2012-02-07

I'm having problems with my Philips MCE remote. I used to use EventGhost with my remote (set up 2 years ago) but as I want to improve my workflow (primarily auto start XBMC with remote support) I decided to take a look around how I could improve this and stumbled on your site and thread.

All was looking good so I decided to install your program/script and now the remote doesn't do a thing (green button does nothing in windows and XBMC does not react to any keypress) Smile

I'm terribly sorry if this question/problem has been asked before (and maybe hundreds of times) but this thread is just too big to read all posts. I read the last 10 pages or so and also your first post in this thread and every word on your site.

So here goes:

1- What Operating system are you using? The version of the OS i.e. Beta, Final Release, Ultimate etc..? 32bit or 64bit? Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate

2- What Remote are using? Is it Microsoft Comaptible or is it Microsoft Certified? Philips MCE Remote, looks exactly like this one but it's not 4in1

3- Was the Remote Certified for use with Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7? I don't know / remember

4- What IR receiver are you using? HTPC built-in or a USB one? Did the IR receiver come with your remote or did you buy it separately? The USB receiver came with the remote, I don't have any other IR receiver built-in or connected

5- IF you are using a USB IR receiver have you got a built-in IR receiver in your HTPC by any chance? Have you disabled the Built-in IR receiver before using the USB one? no built-in IR receiver

6- Is your IR Receiver listed as "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" under the "Human Interface Devices" in the "Device Manager"? Yes it is

7- Have you tried any kind of software before trying my customised setup? Have you used any apps like EventGhost before using my setup? This is IMPORTANT, if you used Eventghost in the past you might still have the "Hid service disabled" then you need to Enable the HID service again by UNTICKING "Disable hid Service" in EventGhost. I used EventGhost in the past, could NOT find the "Disable HID Service option" so decided to uninstall EventGhost AFTER I installed your program

8- Please let me know which version of the .reg file you used or if you used the Auto installer method? Auto install as it stated on your site that it was easier Big Grin

9- If its Keyboard.xml issue, then please include what version did you use and where did you put it? Also if you changed anything in the Keyboard.xml in the system installation folder of XBMC? N/A

10- Finally What XBMC version are you using? Latest stable release: 10.1

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

- jhsrennie - 2012-02-07

Grab Showkey from http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/ and use this to see what if any keystrokes your remote is sending.

JR

- Chris Maes - 2012-02-07

jhsrennie Wrote:Grab Showkey from http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/ and use this to see what if any keystrokes your remote is sending.

JR

No keystrokes are recorded (nothing happens in the screen). I must have broken something by accident but I can't imagine what... Is it because I didn't change the "disable HID" setting in EventGhost before uninstalling?

- leftywhat - 2012-02-08

I've been trying to work my head around this, I've had a dip at what the files do/how this works, but let me know if I'm incorrect here:

In xbmccustomregis.v.1.2.14, there is 3 files...

I- Config.reg v1.25
"Converts remote to send keyboard strokes"
"EG: Info button sends control+d"

II- Keyboard.xml v1.81
"Custom keyboard.xml programmed for xbmc to particular keys used in config.reg"
"EG: control+d = show movie info"

III- GSB script v1.06
"Required to make the green button launch xbmc and not wmc"

And you need to have Autohotkey to auto run on startup to run the script.

At first, for some reason, I was looking for start > programs thinking some program installed on my pc, but I later realized its just installing config.reg, keyboard.xml, and putting the script into the startup folder. Probably would help if I knew that I guess... never mind. If you don't use Autohotkey does the script work or not (so long as its in the startup folder)?

Second thing about remapping keys.

I bought a HP remote (the old model on the wiki), and the Print Key, shows "ctrl-5". I don't think ctrl+5 does anything in xbmc. I wouldn't mind remapping it to "g" for shuffle, or alt+f4

If I use MceRemoteMapper (MRM), it doesn't show the "Print" key on the list, nor can I see anything that has "ctrl+5".

If I want to remap the print key to another keyboard letter/stroke, I need to manually edit the Registry right? How come MRM doesn't show the "print" key? MRM also shows a "unknown - ctrl+d5", I assume this for other remotes?

All the other keys are fine, maybe I don't like the "TV" key as it opens up WMC, but I assume some ppl might be using WMC to record tv (until XBMC comes with tv recording).

And finally, thank you for this, much appreciated Smile
Works better than the default drivers Smile

- jhsrennie - 2012-02-08

Chris Maes Wrote:Is it because I didn't change the "disable HID" setting in EventGhost before uninstalling?

Ah, the key fact you didn't mention.

Reinstall Eventghost and unset the disable HID then uninstall Eventghost again.

JR

- jhsrennie - 2012-02-08

leftywhat Wrote:I've been trying to work my head around this, I've had a dip at what the files do/how this works, but let me know if I'm incorrect here:

If you want to edit key mappings the easiest way is probably to use the MCERemote add-on. You can edit the .reg file and http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Using_a_Microsoft_remote_control_in_Windows has all the info you need, but this isn't a trivial process.

The alternative is to grab KeyMapEdit from http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/ and add a mapping for ctrl-5.

JR