Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

- jhsrennie - 2012-02-10

UberNewf Wrote:OK. Is that configurable anywhere?

I'm afraid not.

JR

- leftywhat - 2012-02-10

elitegamer360 Wrote:Let me just mention that the MCERemoteMapper is the easiest way to map buttons to your remote. In regard to the "Print" key on your remote, it is actually button number "78" marked as "unknown". So if you want to change it to "g" for example then:-

in MCERemoteMapper

1- Untick the "Control" box, make sure no box is ticked against the "unknown" button.

2- From the drop down menu just select "G", Click apply to apply settings exit then make sure you restart your PC.

Done.

For example if you want "alt+f4" then Make sure "Alt" box is only ticked and from the drop down menu "F4" is selected! Simple Wink

BTW I will try to contact the Creator of "MRM" I will ask him to update his tool if he can, or we can figure out someother way to keep MRM up to date :-)

If you need anymore help let me know. Smile

Cheers,
EG.

Ah... I didn't read the manual install, I just went for the auto install and read that page... never mind, I know now what the auto install does, and what files do what Smile

I agree MRM seems quite easy to use and understand, I just found it strange that button number 78 is the print key, as it shows ctrl + D5, however showkey20 shows ctrl + d, that's why I got confused.

In the end, its all good, thank you very much for all your efforts, very happy

- elitegamer360 - 2012-02-10

leftywhat Wrote:Ah... I didn't read the manual install, I just went for the auto install and read that page... never mind, I know now what the auto install does, and what files do what Smile

There is no need to read the manual setup page, but I was just pointing out that all info one might need is available on site :-)

Most end users do not need to know that info and thats the whole point of the auto install page Wink

leftywhat Wrote:I agree MRM seems quite easy to use and understand, I just found it strange that button number 78 is the print key, as it shows ctrl + D5, however showkey20 shows ctrl + d, that's why I got confused.

In the end, its all good, thank you very much for all your efforts, very happy

Really, thats weird D5 means " number/digit 5" not sure why Its showing like that as I can not test this! My remote do not have the print button you see, lol. Anyways I'm happy all is working well for you :-)

Cheers,
EG.

- TRaSH - 2012-02-10

i would like to know if it's possible to add a button for clean music/video library ?
because when i use the webbased remote ip:port
there's a button for clean music/video library and for update music/video library.

also i'm looking for a way to make if more kids/wife approval,
so im looking for a way to toggle subs on/off and switch audio
i found a keyboard shortcut for subs but couldn't find a way for audio switch.

- UberNewf - 2012-02-10

@jhsrennie. Re XBMC preventing sleep\suspend, I've opened this request.

@elitegamer360. I modified my reg and edited the ReportMappingTable as outlined and now the power button on my remote sleeps my PC. Thank you very much for that! Now I need to figure out how to easily return to full screen video if I happen to hit the back button on my remote during playback. Can't possibly be as difficult as the way I've found (left arrow to access left-hand menu, move to PLAYER, move to the fullscreen button). That's probably best posted to another thread though. :-)

Thanks again.

TRaSH- Wrote:i would like to know if it's possible to add a button for clean music/video library ?
because when i use the webbased remote ip:port
there's a button for clean music/video library and for update music/video library.

Make sure you insert the video and music strings in your Keyboard.xml in the section as follows
Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
also do not forget to assign each string to one button on your remote, the string below is just an example.

to update video library
Code:
<one mod="ctrl,shift">UpdateLibrary(video)</one>     <!-- Update Video Library -->

to clean video library
Code:
<two mod="ctrl,shift">CleanLibrary(video)</two>     <!-- Clean Video Library -->

to update music library
Code:
<three mod="ctrl,shift">UpdateLibrary(music)</three>     <!-- Update Music Library -->

to clean Music library
Code:
<four mod="ctrl,shift">CleanLibrary(music)</four>     <!-- Clean Music Library-->

NOTE: Make sure your Library hard drives are connected and are switched on, If you clean library and your storage media is off then all your media will be deleted, Also I have never ever used the Update/Clean music strings so no idea if they work! More info is in this wiki

TRaSH- Wrote:also i'm looking for a way to make if more kids/wife approval,
so im looking for a way to toggle subs on/off and switch audio
i found a keyboard shortcut for subs but couldn't find a way for audio switch.

"also i'm looking for a way to make if more kids/wife approval" If you installed XBMCCUSTOMREGIS then you already have this. All the scripts I included help make your remote experience more Kids/Wife friendly.

"so im looking for a way to toggle subs on/off and switch audio". The "live TV" button already do this!

"i found a keyboard shortcut for subs but couldn't find a way for audio switch.". The "Yellow" button already do this! See the picture here for more info!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
EG.

UberNewf Wrote:@jhsrennie. Re XBMC preventing sleep\suspend, I've opened this request.

@elitegamer360. I modified my reg and edited the ReportMappingTable as outlined and now the power button on my remote sleeps my PC. Thank you very much for that! Now I need to figure out how to easily return to full screen video if I happen to hit the back button on my remote during playback. Can't possibly be as difficult as the way I've found (left arrow to access left-hand menu, move to PLAYER, move to the fullscreen button). That's probably best posted to another thread though. :-)

Thanks again.

No worries :-)

If you used my setup then the "Red" button already do this, it simply sends "tab". It will bring back your video to full screen. Check the Remote picture in this page it outlines every function of non obvious buttons and includes the button registry key in case one wants to make changes.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,
EG.

- UberNewf - 2012-02-10

elitegamer360 Wrote:If you used my setup then the "Red" button already do this, it simply sends "tab". It will bring back your video to full screen. Check the Remote picture in this page it outlines every function of non obvious buttons and includes the button registry key in case one wants to make changes.

I must have something screwed up then. The only color button on my Harmony 900 remote that does anything is GREEN. All the others have no effect at all that I can find.

UberNewf Wrote:I must have something screwed up then. The only color button on my Harmony 900 remote that does anything is GREEN. All the others have no effect at all that I can find.

Use JR's fantastic Showkey and let us know what your buttons send then. Either they are not registered properly or something not set in keyboard.xml! I dont know.

Findout if they coloured buttons send anything at all and let us know please.

Cheers,
EG.

- UberNewf - 2012-02-10

elitegamer360 Wrote:Use JR's fantastic Showkey and let us know what your buttons send then. Either they are not registered properly or something not set in keyboard.xml! I dont know. Findout if they coloured buttons send anything at all and let us know please.

Nada. Green sends "<leftwindows mod="alt">Notification(Key, leftwindows, 3)</leftwindows>", but yellow, blue and red result in no reaction in Showkey at all.

- UberNewf - 2012-02-11

Mea culpa. Harmony remote software check revealed these three colors were unmapped. Fixed now and RED does indeed fullscreen the video. Thanks (fifth time now I think <g>).

- TRaSH - 2012-02-11

THNX,

tomorrow i will give it a try,
darn that i missed the picture with all the keys,
must have over looked it.
need to make a sort of cheat sheet for it.
so i can get used to it.

using a logitech harmoney so need to remap those keys also,
wonder if i should set it to mce keyboard or mce remote now,
using a mix of both now.
but i want to use my blaster and i only can add 1 more device to it.

- elitegamer360 - 2012-02-11

UberNewf Wrote:Mea culpa. Harmony remote software check revealed these three colors were unmapped. Fixed now and RED does indeed fullscreen the video. Thanks (fifth time now I think <g>).

You are most welcome :-)

TRaSH- Wrote:THNX,

tomorrow i will give it a try,
darn that i missed the picture with all the keys,
must have over looked it.
need to make a sort of cheat sheet for it.
so i can get used to it.

Thumbs up Wink

TRaSH- Wrote:using a logitech harmoney so need to remap those keys also,
wonder if i should set it to mce keyboard or mce remote now,
using a mix of both now.
but i want to use my blaster and i only can add 1 more device to it.

You might need mce remote but mce keyboard should do! For more help see this, and link to the harmony specific thread here Smile

Cheers,
EG.

- hunterx - 2012-02-11

Anyone have an Adesso remote? I can't get the Context Menu, can I customize the remote to assign a key for it using this tool in the 1st post?

easy solution for green button and a couple other things (Windows 7) - Monkeysweat - 2012-02-13

for a long time i've been using LM to reprogram my remote, but sometimes i'd find it would crash and i'm not crazy about running a program when all I need are some registry changes. (I use a peanut style remote, but this should work for almost anyone)

for this solution I used MCE Remote in XBMC running as admin

Pin XBMC to the taskbar

run xbmc as admin then launch MCE - i have it set all the controls as program default
for the green button i change it to 'win-1' (if xbmc is the 1st one away from start button on taskbar or I would change it to 'win-3' if it was the 3rd one, etc etc)
This will use the windows command to select the program from the taskbar - which launches a program if it isn't running or puts it back in focus if it isn't - i think a perfect solution

the other couple things is I change info to 'i' as i don't like ctrl-d

then i change one of the other buttons i don't use such as record or watch live tv to 'c' so i can open the context menu.

i forgot how to setup my power button, but not really a big issue, it used to just close the active window, but I kind of prefer it not doing anything as I have 3 kids that like to push buttons..

hope this helps!