Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

- elitegamer360 - 2012-02-27

@ spontex: my Friend do not use my setup and the XBMC addon at the same time as it will actually mess up all the XBMCCustomRegis settings! The Green button associated with the GSB script only uses "Win-Alt-Enter" if you use anything else it will not work! and Autohotkey will not reset your MCE settings, and will not stop the green button from working inside XBMC. :-)

You did not make it exactly clear what you are after! But from what you wrote it seems that you are not doing the setup right and mixing and matching different things which is causing you issues.

if you are not sure what you are doing then use Either the MCE addon or XBMCCustomRegis, you can not use both at the same time without messing up something. My main purpose of creating is XBMCCustomRegis is to avoid having to go through what you are experiencing now! Also the keyboard language you are using does not affect the script because I am using "Win-Alt-Enter" and there is no other keyboard alternative shortcut to that in any language. Smile

Now I do not even know what is your main issue exactly, and I am trying hard to avoid writing an essay here? lol.....

And about the PVR shortcut keys if you added them to keyboard.xml in %AppData%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps then try the shortcuts first on your keyboard if they work in XBMC then map the correct keys to your remote, I advise you to use the MCERemotemapper as it reads your settings and it might be safer for you to use. Also make sure you add the PVR shortcuts in the right place, if you make a mistake it might not work.

The only reason you the PVR settings do not work after you installed my settings because my settings overrides keyboard.xml and existing remote mapping. If you can map the keys you want then you should be OK.

Well now, all you have to do is reinstall XBMCCustomregis v1.2.14 and update the keyboard.xml as I said above, then test your shortcuts in XBMC using the keyboard first. make SURE you use a proper XML editor like this one so that you can avoid mistakes and make sure that your settings are saved correctly.

Please Note: I have made sure that I have written a note on both my Auto and Manual setup to backup your own settings "Registry and Keyboard.xml" before trying my setup, I have made that clear in both pages.

Cheers,
EG.

- elitegamer360 - 2012-02-27

thebearnecessit Wrote:The fan(s?) still runs when its in standby. I presume that means its in s1 standby?

Anyway here's some quotes from the bios settings. ive tried to quote from the parts that looked relevent:

quote 1) ACPI Suspend Type = S1 (NB think the other options were "S1 & S3" and "S3")
2) Power management = user define (nb othr optins min saving , or max saving)
3) suspend mode = disabled (nb other options were 1 min, 2 min, 4 min, and so on)
4) power state resume control = always off
5) video off option = susp, stby->off (nb other options always on, and all modes off)
6) irq (3-7, 9-15)NMI = disabled
7) irq 8 break suspend = disabled

any thoughts?

Ok, it seems as expected that your PC suspends to "S1" because of Windows XP. Now this mode should actually let you wake up your PC from sleep using an MCE IR Receiver. As we have gone through every single hardware and software setup we can think of I can conclude that either your hardware is not capable of waking up windows from sleep or it actually windows XP is to blame.

There are one last option you can try is to set the Bios ACPI Suspend Type "S3" and use this hack as documented in the Microsoft Knowledge base. "S3" should switch off all your PC components including the fans as it is the most energy saving way. I use "S3" with Windows 7 64bit on all my systems and I have no issues at all! All the PC's I build uses ASUS latest Motherboards.

Here is more info about the different suspend modes. IF none of the above work then its your hardware or Windows XP, one of two! I would suggest you borrow a Windows 7 CD from a friend if possible just to make sure its not your hardware.

Waking from sleep should be straight forward process and most of the times requires no setup at all :-)

Cheers,
EG.

- spontex - 2012-02-27

elitegamer360 Wrote:@ spontex: my Friend do not use my setup and the XBMC addon at the same time as it will actually mess up all the XBMCCustomRegis settings! The Green button associated with the GSB script only uses "Win-Alt-Enter" if you use anything else it will not work! and Autohotkey will not reset your MCE settings, and will not stop the green button from working inside XBMC. :-)

I only wanted to "reset" my MCE remote configuration. The add-on allows that and, if I understand well, does not modifiy anything in the behaviour of XBMC so there should not be any conflict. Then I reapplied your .reg so I should have been in the fine configuration.

elitegamer360 Wrote:You did not make it exactly clear what you are after! But from what you wrote it seems that you are not doing the setup right and mixing and matching different things which is causing you issues.

My objective is to get the same behaviour as in WMC or MediaPortal: a functional RC6 remote (including Eden Beta 3 PVR commands) with the default bindings (excepted some minor tricks we already discussed and which I know how to apply) and the ability to launch XBMC using the Green Button, which is the only thing I miss at this time.

elitegamer360 Wrote:if you are not sure what you are doing then use Either the MCE addon or XBMCCustomRegis, you can not use both at the same time without messing up something. My main purpose of creating is XBMCCustomRegis is to avoid having to go through what you are experiencing now! Also the keyboard language you are using does not affect the script because I am using "Win-Alt-Enter" and there is no other keyboard alternative shortcut to that in any language. Smile

Right... but it breaks the "standard" remote shortcuts and the third-party applications such as the Blu-ray players (Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater). This is why I cannot use it. If I undersand correctly, your alternative setup is meant to solve this.

elitegamer360 Wrote:Now I do not even know what is your main issue exactly, and I am trying hard to avoid writing an essay here? lol.....
And about the PVR shortcut keys if you added them to keyboard.xml in %AppData%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps then try the shortcuts first on your keyboard if they work in XBMC then map the correct keys to your remote, I advise you to use the MCERemotemapper as it reads your settings and it might be safer for you to use. Also make sure you add the PVR shortcuts in the right place, if you make a mistake it might not work.
The only reason you the PVR settings do not work after you installed my settings because my settings overrides keyboard.xml and existing remote mapping. If you can map the keys you want then you should be OK.

I used your alternative setup, which does not override keyboard.xml, does it? My only concern with the alternative setup (which I also experienced with XBMCCustomRegis) is that the Green Button sometimes get unbound and only sends "Win-Alt" without Enter. This is perhaps an AutoHotKey question.

elitegamer360 Wrote:Well now, all you have to do is reinstall XBMCCustomregis v1.2.14 and update the keyboard.xml as I said above, then test your shortcuts in XBMC using the keyboard first.

That would break the remote default shortcuts. I would rather keep the remote and XBMC "default" configuration and find a way to start it with the Green Button, which is the only thing I miss now.

elitegamer360 Wrote:Please Note: I have made sure that I have written a note on both my Auto and Manual setup to backup your own settings "Registry and Keyboard.xml" before trying my setup, I have made that clear in both pages.

It is Ok: I am still in the process of building my initial setup so I can reinstall everything until I am satisfied :-)
Thank you very much for your work and your help. I am beginning to be quite versed and will try to help some other people.

- thebearnecessit - 2012-02-27

elitegamer360 Wrote:Ok, it seems as expected that your PC suspends to "S1" because of Windows XP. Now this mode should actually let you wake up your PC from sleep using an MCE IR Receiver. As we have gone through every single hardware and software setup we can think of I can conclude that either your hardware is not capable of waking up windows from sleep or it actually windows XP is to blame.

There are one last option you can try is to set the Bios ACPI Suspend Type "S3" and use this hack as documented in the Microsoft Knowledge base. "S3" should switch off all your PC components including the fans as it is the most energy saving way. I use "S3" with Windows 7 64bit on all my systems and I have no issues at all! All the PC's I build uses ASUS latest Motherboards.

Here is more info about the different suspend modes. IF none of the above work then its your hardware or Windows XP, one of two! I would suggest you borrow a Windows 7 CD from a friend if possible just to make sure its not your hardware.

Waking from sleep should be straight forward process and most of the times requires no setup at all :-)

Cheers,
EG.

ok i went to try and add the registry entry to allow s3, but the registry entry was already there. its not added as part of your registry edit script that i ran is it?

anyway still no joy. when i put bios into s3 mode windows xp doesnt go into stanby properly. it seemed v uick and when i press a button on the keyboard it starts up and seems like its trying to wake, then it gives up and boots up the pc from scratch (one time i thought i saw a blue screen for a fraction of a second. is as if it tries to wake up but hits an error so just reboots from scratch. remote wont wake it up, only keyboard and mouse. i did notice that when i pull the receivers usb plug out that wakes up the pc; but then it hits the same issue and reboots

i had a thought though. could it be these hacked drivers im using for receiver? in device manager its called "fintek ehome infrared tranceiver" but there is now power management tab in the properties. there are other devices underneath it ( hid compliant consumer control device, hid compliant device and hid compliant device) and they all have the power management tab.

so basically i am unable to tick the box saying "allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" for the fintek driver device because it doesnt have the power management tab. could this be the root of all my problems?

ive ordered a microsoft receiver anyway because im sick of constantly thinking that every problem i have may just be down to these drivers.

- elitegamer360 - 2012-02-28

@ Spontex: if you want the default MCE settings then this is what you want, you need to use one of the "Blind_Multi_GSB_script" only as it has extra code to support the default MCE settings, but if you use the "GSB Script" then its not goning work properly. And then you can configure your remote exactly like you want by configuring the registry keys or modifying keyboard.xml. The setup on the linked page sends all MCE default keys!

If you used any of my Configs then do not worry about the "Green start button", in showkey.exe it display "Win-Alt" only, thats fine its not unbound or anything and Autohotkey detects the full "Win-Alt-Enter" perfectly. BTW Autohotkey intercepts what your remote sends before Windows detects your key presses and has no other effect on your registry, XBMC or Keyboard.xml. it simply receives a key signal and then sends a result as required. Smile

@thebearnecessit:
No my registry settings does not interfere with anything else other than changing the Remote settings. I have said this right from the beginning when using hacked drivers "there will always be some kind of side effect or a some sort of disadvantage, if you are not willing to upgrade your operating system then you gona have to live with it i'm afraid"

If the IR receiver does not work when plugged in then thats it, its either a "Windows or Hardware issue", only in rare occasions you can get normal operation by using hacked drivers in XP. Also in rare occasions you need to make sure the "eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)" is configured properly in the power managment tab, otherwise it should work automatically without any end user configuration. Smile

OK, good you bought another receiver and I hope your issues will go with the MS receiver.

Cheers,
EG.

- TheFonz - 2012-02-28

elitegamer360 Wrote:No, you should not install XBMCCustomRegis as it will override your settings! I will try to compile the script for you as an "exe" then you can try it! Can you please tell me what version of windows are you using Win 7 32bit etc... Also make sure the your "Green start Button" sends "Win-Alt-Enter" combination and not the Windows default WM_INPUT.

Also If I were you I would make sure that keyboard.xml is placed in this folder %AppData%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps
I am running Win 7 32Bit.
I will check the Win-Alt-Enter combo tonight.
Cheers EG

- spontex - 2012-02-28

elitegamer360 Wrote:If you used any of my Configs then do not worry about the "Green start button", in showkey.exe it display "Win-Alt" only, thats fine its not unbound or anything and Autohotkey detects the full "Win-Alt-Enter" perfectly. BTW Autohotkey intercepts what your remote sends before Windows detects your key presses and has no other effect on your registry, XBMC or Keyboard.xml. it simply receives a key signal and then sends a result as required. Smile

Ok, this is exactly what I did but it looks to me that I cannot have both the Green MCE Button working with AutoHotKey AND inside XBMC. It looks that it has no effect inside XBMC (perhaps AutoHotKey catches the signal and does not let XBMC have it?).

thanks - thebearnecessit - 2012-02-28

thanks for all you replies elitegamer. really appreciate it.

- elitegamer360 - 2012-03-01

TheFonz Wrote:I am running Win 7 32Bit.
I will check the Win-Alt-Enter combo tonight.
Cheers EG

OK, I will try to prepare the file for you tomorrow :-)

spontex Wrote:Ok, this is exactly what I did but it looks to me that I cannot have both the Green MCE Button working with AutoHotKey AND inside XBMC. It looks that it has no effect inside XBMC (perhaps AutoHotKey catches the signal and does not let XBMC have it?).

Spontex,

You must've doing something wrong or you have something not setup properly, I have tested my setup files so many times before release since 2011 and I almost have 30000+ downloads and no one reported such issues.

I- So does the Green start button start XBMC when using the autohotkey script?
II- Do you have XBMC setup to "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" ? "It does not matter what option you use" but what matters is that how XBMC responds to the green button when pressed! Can you tell me how XBMC behaves when press the grees start button if it minimized or not in focus please? if it regains focus does it still not activate the home screen the "GSB Jump" as I call it!?
III- What is the remote you are using?
IV- What is the Receiver you are using?
V- Did you use or still use any other Remote setup helpers apps like "EventGhost etc..?
VI- Does your IR receiver use the "eHome" Driver in the device manager?
VII-What windows version are you using and what type 32bit, 64... etc...?
VIII- What XBMC version are you using?
IX- Under the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" do you have "eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)"? If "Yes" continue to the steps below, if "NO" let me know what drivers are you using !... _>

X- I want to you to create a folder and copy your current Keyboard.xml, the autohotkey script your are using and a copy of your current Remote registry settings in this folder. Zip it, rar it or what ever you use to compress files then upolad it to your favorite file host site then post the link back here please. I want the exact files you are using please!

To get a copy of your current Registry settings please do this:

1- Download this file and unzip to your desktop you will see a file named "Create.reg.backup.desktop.bat" run it and it should create another file named "Custom_setup.reg"

2- Now copy "Custom_setup.reg" to the folder you created and upload it and post the link here. There should be 3 files in total in the compressed folder. :-)

thebearnecessit Wrote:thanks for all you replies elitegamer. really appreciate it.

No problem mate, you are most welcome :-)

Cheers all,
EG.

- spontex - 2012-03-01

Dear elitegamer360,
Thank you for your patience. I have finally found out the problem in my configuration: I had applied your alternative setup but I had not seen that I also had to use the "Option 2 keyboard.xml" in order to get the Green Start Button to work.
I have done so and now it seems to work fine!
Switching from the "false fullscreen mode" to the "true fullscreen mode" may have helped too.

- spontex - 2012-03-01

Everything was working fine, so I decided to add the PVR commands to my (user) keyboard.xml:

Code:
<g mod="ctrl">XBMC.ActivateWindowAndFocus(MyPVR, 31,0, 10,0)</g> <!-- activate EPG -->
      <t mod="ctrl,shift">XBMC.ActivateWindowAndFocus(MyPVR, 32,0, 11,0)</t> <!-- activate TV -->
      <o mod="ctrl">XBMC.ActivateWindowAndFocus(MyPVR, 34,0, 13,0)</o> <!-- activate Recordings -->
      <m mod="ctrl,shift">PlayDVD</m>

I added this code and replaced the duplicate commands.
On the keyboard, the" Ctrl-Shift-T", "B" and "Ctrl-Shift-M" shortcuts work but the "Ctrl-G" does not.
On the remote, only the "Ctrl-Shift-M" (DVD Menu) works.

I will now try to provide all the details you requested.

- spontex - 2012-03-01

elitegamer360 Wrote:I- So does the Green start button start XBMC when using the autohotkey script?

Yes

elitegamer360 Wrote:II- Do you have XBMC setup to "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" ? "It does not matter what option you use" but what matters is that how XBMC responds to the green button when pressed! Can you tell me how XBMC behaves when press the grees start button if it minimized or not in focus please? if it regains focus does it still not activate the home screen the "GSB Jump" as I call it!?

I now use true fullscreen. One press makes XBMC regain focus and the second press jumps to the home screen.

elitegamer360 Wrote:III- What is the remote you are using?

A black Microsoft RC6 remote (I cannot find any picture of it on the internet but I could take one if needed).

elitegamer360 Wrote:IV- What is the Receiver you are using?

A Microsoft receiver like this one.

elitegamer360 Wrote:V- Did you use or still use any other Remote setup helpers apps like "EventGhost etc..?

No, I don't anymore (and I don't think I ever did).

elitegamer360 Wrote:VI- Does your IR receiver use the "eHome" Driver in the device manager?

Yes

elitegamer360 Wrote:VII-What windows version are you using and what type 32bit, 64... etc...?

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits SP1 French.

elitegamer360 Wrote:VIII- What XBMC version are you using?

XBMC Eden RC1 PVR build from Margro

elitegamer360 Wrote:IX- Under the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" do you have "eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)"? If "Yes" continue to the steps below, if "NO" let me know what drivers are you using !... _>

Yes

elitegamer360 Wrote:X- I want to you to create a folder and copy your current Keyboard.xml, the autohotkey script your are using and a copy of your current Remote registry settings in this folder. Zip it, rar it or what ever you use to compress files then upolad it to your favorite file host site then post the link back here please. I want the exact files you are using please!

I put both the "system" keyboard.xml and the "userdata" keybord.xml because I suspect the "system" keyboard.xml from my XBMC version (PVR margro) to be different from yours.

Here is the file.

- TheFonz - 2012-03-02

EG
Code:
<key id="61457" mod="ctrl,alt">Notification(Key, key id="61457", 3)</key>
Is what the Green Button is mapped to.

- Kowalsky - 2012-03-03

Everything working fine here, thank you for all the hard work.
One question though, I'm sure it was asked before (or maybe it wasn't) but I really can't read all 84 pages looking for it ....
I don't mind launching the xbmc from the green button, no big deal for me.
So I opted out from installing that "hack".
However, TAB key currently assigned to the red button is somewhat hard to use for me, it works, but I would like to change it to the green button if possible. How can I do that ?

- elitegamer360 - 2012-03-04

spontex Wrote:Dear elitegamer360,
Thank you for your patience. I have finally found out the problem in my configuration: I had applied your alternative setup but I had not seen that I also had to use the "Option 2 keyboard.xml" in order to get the Green Start Button to work.
I have done so and now it seems to work fine!
Switching from the "false fullscreen mode" to the "true fullscreen mode" may have helped too.

Good to know. Thank you!

I will have a look att he files you posted at a later time though no problems :-)

spontex Wrote:Everything was working fine, so I decided to add the PVR commands to my (user) keyboard.xml:

Code:
<g mod="ctrl">XBMC.ActivateWindowAndFocus(MyPVR, 31,0, 10,0)</g> <!-- activate EPG -->
      <t mod="ctrl,shift">XBMC.ActivateWindowAndFocus(MyPVR, 32,0, 11,0)</t> <!-- activate TV -->
      <o mod="ctrl">XBMC.ActivateWindowAndFocus(MyPVR, 34,0, 13,0)</o> <!-- activate Recordings -->
      <m mod="ctrl,shift">PlayDVD</m>

I added this code and replaced the duplicate commands.
On the keyboard, the" Ctrl-Shift-T", "B" and "Ctrl-Shift-M" shortcuts work but the "Ctrl-G" does not.
On the remote, only the "Ctrl-Shift-M" (DVD Menu) works.

I will now try to provide all the details you requested.

This needs to be checked against the keyboard.xml to make sure you are actually putting them in the right place and there are no duplicate keys as well. Also make sure the remote sends the right combination as well. As I said I do not use the PVR function so I would not be able to check if they will work or not, but will check the files for you anyways soon.

TheFonz Wrote:EG
Code:
<key id="61457" mod="ctrl,alt">Notification(Key, key id="61457", 3)</key>
Is what the Green Button is mapped to.

No this is not correct, you need to change the green button to send "Win-Alt-Enter", the above will not work! You need to change the "Green Start button" so that the script work. look inside Config.reg v1.25 and you will find the correct combination for the registry key, you have to add it to your own settings so that the autohotkey script work.

Also I have not managed to create the .exe yet as I am busy but if you change the green button to "Win-Alt-Enter" then that should solve your issue. If you need any more help on how to do this let me know :-)

Kowalsky Wrote:Everything working fine here, thank you for all the hard work.
One question though, I'm sure it was asked before (or maybe it wasn't) but I really can't read all 84 pages looking for it ....
I don't mind launching the xbmc from the green button, no big deal for me.
So I opted out from installing that "hack".
However, TAB key currently assigned to the red button is somewhat hard to use for me, it works, but I would like to change it to the green button if possible. How can I do that ?

OK, Press the "Windows button + R" to launch the run command, in the open field paste this %AppData%\Xbmccustomregis\

it will open the installed Xbmccustomregis folder, then:

1- Right click on "Config.v1.25.reg" and select "Edit"

2- look for this
Code:
5C,00,00,00,04,00,0f,\ ; [Green]        - Sends "L"

3- Change it to
Code:
5C,00,00,00,04,00,2b,\ ; [Green]         - Sends "TAB"

4- Now look for this
Code:
5B,00,00,00,04,00,2b,\ ; [Red]        - Sends "TAB"

5- and change it to
Code:
5B,00,00,00,04,00,0f,\ ; [Red]        - Sends "L"

6- Save file, Close, double click to apple the new settings, click on "Yes" and then Restart your PC.

Now we changed the Green button to Send "TAB" and the Red button to send "L" etc.... I hope that helps :-)

Cheers all,
EG.