Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - elitegamer360 - 2012-07-15

(2012-07-15, 07:07)bossanova808 Wrote:
(2012-07-14, 14:50)elitegamer360 Wrote:
(2012-07-14, 03:38)bossanova808 Wrote: @elitegamer360

Some great work here, a very effective system and I have my windows/harmony/xbmc-pvr with live TV setup all humming along now.

One thing that makes it even better - there are some PVR specific mappings here that seem to have no negative side effects when put in the fullscreenvideo section, but get the remote keys for pause/rw/ff working in the PVR section:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=122931&pid=1144460#pid1144460

...would be a worthwhile addition to your keyboard.xml

Thanks for your comments mate. No problem will have a look in to it. It sounds interesting as I will be moving to PVR soon. If you live in the UK which PC TV card brand would you recommend? Big Grin. I've been using "Nebula DigiTV" for around eight years now but very annoyed I can not use it in XBMC, they stopped supporting the PCI version of the card so there will never be an 64bit drivers ever.

Any ways, I will probably add this to my next update as I am planning to release an update soon. At the moment I am working on a major update of XBMCCustomregis! Rewriting the scripts all over again for better performance and compatibility and adding extra features like having XBMC stay on focus no matter what happens in the background "it can be turned on and off by a press of a single button from your remote". Just trying to make XBMC experience pleasurable from start to end specially when using "True Fullscreen" like I do! Pretty exciting stuff coming for both Single screen and multiscreen users. Almost everything is done now but doing some testings on different systems just to remove any final bugs that I might not be aware of.

Cheers,
EG.

I live in Australia I'm afraid. I actually use a Sony PlayTV a very cheap, simply USB twin HD tuner device) plugged into my Win7 machine running ForTheRecord...this then piped via ethernet to my two client machines. Works perfectly, not a glitch to be seen. Previosuly I ran TvHeadEnd on an atom box but that was very glitchy (reception glitches it looked like, but in fact it would seem to be the weak atom cpu as the same tuner on a more powerful machine with 4TR instead of TVHeadEnd = literally 0 gltiches) - TvHeadEnd was in all rather annoying - crappy scheduling and UI, 4TR works very well but was harder to set up.

I look forward to your update - I have hacked the keyboad.xml a fair bit for a few extra handy options and in places to better match the Harmony keys, I can send it to you if you're curios, but I suspect you've thought about it a lot more than I have, I just have a few tricks that make xbmc nicer, and a bit easier for development (e.g. reloading skins/keymaps from remote etc.).

Definitely try PVR though as it's WAY more stable and effective than I thought it would be, we use it all the time and now have zero regularly tuned TVs in the house. I am surprised they're not mergin g it for Frodo given it's so good, but I guess it's not quite where they want it to be yet...but I can't see why most people can't use it as is to be honest...

Thanks for the info mate, will definitely be looking into the PVR part of XBMC in the near future. And will make sure the keyboard.xml additions will be added in the next release. To tell you the truth I have not looked into the PVR part nor thought of making any additions to keybaord.xml in that regard yet, because I am foucsing on rewriting the scripts with new features and writing a new setup launchers that should decrease the overall package size. I took note of the link you sent about the additions to keyboard.xml but since you told me If you want to share your part then by all means you're welcome to do so, I will review and update keyboard.xml accordingly.

Cheers,
EG.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - ThePastor - 2012-07-15

Thanks for the response.
Yeah, I saw that you were on holiday. I hope it was awesome! I only mentioned Mike in case he was still looking for an answer.

This is the remote, from the Wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=File:Hpremote.jpg
It's listed as the older version of the HP remote and the button I'm referring to is the one in the upper right which says TV, directly above the "Videos" button and directly to the right of the "power" button.

The troubling aspect is that showkeys does not register a keystroke so I don't know what ID it is.

Thanks for all of your help!

Brian

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - elitegamer360 - 2012-07-16

@ ThePastor: yes mate I had a great holiday thank you Big Grin

I hope I will be solving your issue in this post! I have made a quick registry mod with couple of keys I knew from my research in the past and hopefully I have the correct one listed.

Anyways download Config.v1.28_tester.zip I have included 4 new additions which I suspect one of them will be the TV button I hope. You will find them right at the end of the reg file.

Code:
[Exit]        - Button on HP remote SENDS "Exit"
[Visualization]    - Button on HP remote Sends "Tab"
[Slide show]        - Button on HP remote Sends IR SIGNAL "Media Select"
[TV]            - Button on HP remote Sends "Ctrl-shift-T"

I have randomly set them with different codes, so download the zip file, unzip then double click on the new reg file, press "Yes" to apply then restart. Now after you restart use ShowKey.exe to find out if the "TV" button will send anything at all. If I got it right the "TV" button should send "Ctrl-shift-T", if it does not work I still have couple key codes but I have a feeling that they will not work. Anyways I hope this does.

Please let me know the outcome so I can update the reg file in next update.

Cheers,
EG.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - bossanova808 - 2012-07-16

Ok I will upload a link to my keyboard.xml tonight and you can see if any of it suits you.

Basically, I have modified things such that back is always one step back, exit is always 'big back' -> i.e. goes to home mostly, that during playback the ok button pauses and re-starts (much like pressing space in pretty much any media player), there are custom harmony keys for reloading keymaps and skins if you develop, things like that.

Entirely up to you whether you like these changes of course!

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - bossanova808 - 2012-07-16

As promised - http://code.google.com/p/bossanova808-xbmc-addons/source/browse/repository-downloads/Other%20Downloads/Keymaps/keyboard.xml

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - ThePastor - 2012-07-18

Oh, that's great!!!

I will give this a try, tonight and let you know what happens!

Big Grin

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - elitegamer360 - 2012-07-19

(2012-07-16, 15:06)bossanova808 Wrote: As promised - http://code.google.com/p/bossanova808-xbmc-addons/source/browse/repository-downloads/Other%20Downloads/Keymaps/keyboard.xml
OK Cool mate, I had a look and most of the stuff depends on user preference I think, I did the "clean library/Update library" but people complained about it, specially the clean library one is dangerous if you have your media disconnected, so I removed it etc... "just giving you an example" but for sure I will add the PVR section so that it will be standard in every release Smile many thanks for your efforts anyways Wink

(2012-07-18, 19:05)ThePastor Wrote: Oh, that's great!!!

I will give this a try, tonight and let you know what happens!

Big Grin

Great, let me know the result then.

Cheers,
EG.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - bossanova808 - 2012-07-19

Yeah no worries, I can always merge my changes back in to newer versions although now it's all working so well for me it's kinda hard to see what else can be improved!

Actually, I do plan on modding the autohotkey script so that I can launch my normal xbmc as well as a test AE version all from the remote...have to say I am surprised that once tuned Windows is actually a very felxible platform for XBMC...

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - tixx - 2012-07-24

Hi,

First off, love this tool, been using it for a while and its the easiest way to config an mce remote for xbmc. Thanks Elitegamer!!.
Ive just recently installed eden, and really wanted to tweak my media box properly. The biggest issue ive got at the moment is when customregis is installed, the remote doesnt work properly on other media playing apps, for example powerdvd. I use powerdvd for some videos and xbmc for others. is there an easy way around this? im sure the question has been asked before, but cant find it amongst all these pages.

Thanks again.

p.s. - anyone know why mce remotes dont work out the box with xbmc? you'd think the market share would be big enough to have this implemented.

Cheers

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - elitegamer360 - 2012-07-25

@ bossanova808: No probs Smile

@ tixx: You welcome Smile use this alternative setup, link clearly available on the end of the first post of this thread.

Cheers,
EG.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - tixx - 2012-07-25

Brilliant, will try it and report back.

Thanks again EG!

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - LupinSansei - 2012-07-27

Any luck getting xbmccustomregis working under Windows 8 Release Preview? It seems to install but it doesn't seem to work. It works perfectly however under Windows 7 for me. Also the AHK script doesn't seem to do anything either Sad

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - elitegamer360 - 2012-07-28

(2012-07-27, 22:40)LupinSansei Wrote: Any luck getting xbmccustomregis working under Windows 8 Release Preview? It seems to install but it doesn't seem to work. It works perfectly however under Windows 7 for me. Also the AHK script doesn't seem to do anything either Sad

Stay tuned, Windows 8 will be supported but for now I am still working on the new xbmccustomregis release which is being rewritten from ground up. Because I do not have a copy of Windows 8 yet also bear in mind the Windows 8 is not released yet its still under Release Preview now but If I can I will delay it a bit to make it windows 8 compatible.

Cheers,
EG.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - LupinSansei - 2012-07-28

That's good news thanks! Is there anything temporary I can do to make it work with the Win8 RP?

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - elitegamer360 - 2012-07-29

(2012-07-28, 01:26)LupinSansei Wrote: That's good news thanks! Is there anything temporary I can do to make it work with the Win8 RP?

Windows 8 now supported, I've just installed the Release Preview version and I am BLOWN AWAY "WOW", not sure how I will go back to windows 7, but I have to Sad. I will eagerly be waiting for Windows 8 final release. Any ideas when will it be released? Big Grin I just could not beleive my eyes how fast the setup finished, how fast it loads and how beautiful it is and it just works, OMG I never been wow'ed by a Windows OS before, lol.....

Here mate your registry file Config._Win8_Beta.v1.26 for windows 8 it should work and the autohotkey scripts should work as well. I made this quickly so you can have it work quickly, I still have finalise xbmccustomregis settings first before releasing final update.

You know the drill, unzip, double click to apply restart and you are good to go Wink

Cheers,
EG.