Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way (/showthread.php?tid=78179)

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - survey_sez - 2012-08-03

(2012-08-02, 05:00)elitegamer360 Wrote:
(2012-08-02, 04:39)survey_sez Wrote:
(2012-08-02, 02:51)elitegamer360 Wrote: Thanks for posting the picture, I think that your remote is an RC260. But anyways I have created 2 final reg files all configured to be XBMCCustomregis compatible as follows:

1- Try this one first just in case as I might be wrong. This one is for the Zotac RC6 and it has exact same Remote key numbers as the MCE RC6 remote but in a different registry location. Zotac_RC6_Decoded, same as before applies unzip, double click to apply restart and test with Showkey.

2- This one is for the Zotac RC260 which I think that will work for you. It has completely different Remote key numbers and uses a different registry location as well, it was hard figuring this out and thats why it took me a bit to reply back. Bear in mind I did this without a hardware like yours to test and used commonsense + IR keys decoding which took most of the time. Anyways try this Zotac_RC260_decoded, same as before applies unzip, double click to apply restart and test with Showkey, and I hope either one will work.

Please note: I could not detect The Green start button in the RC260 so I added the button as if it was RC6 and hope for the best, if does not work there is nothing more we can do unless someone can discover the The Green start button RC260 button number, which I can not do without the hardware

Cheers,
EG.

you're not going to like this....

RC6 - no response to blue key

RC260 - no response to blue key

i do have a global cache itach that i can use to detect the blue key transmission codes in hex. would that help?

Ohhhhh god! I really hate those small machines they never come with proper hardware and 90% of the time is pain in the ass. Pardon my language, last time I just gave up this time I tried hard and still ZERO.

Any ways do you have this htpc then

Now you now all the things you tried in just the top post, you need to reinstall windows and this time do not install the zotac drivers for the remote. See if windows can install the drivers automatically if all successful then you need to try install XBMCCUSTOMREGIS, if it does not work try the RC6 and RC260 after, and hopefully one will work.

If not then tough luck man not me or you can do anything about it, you got yourself a clone MCE remote/receiver that won't and cannot accept changes. You need to by a proper RC6 IR receiver and remote.

If you are going to do the formatting, reinstalling windows and one of the setup files works then let me know please. Hope something works for you.

Cheers,
EG.

yup that pos looks identical to my ad10..

before i try all that - could it possibly be do to the fact that i have no keyboard attached (i am using remote desktop connection)?

also - maybe the offending driver is the "ite ir transceiver" listed in add/remove programs? maybe all i need to do is unstall the latter? let me know your thoughts before i start recreating the world with a re-install of windows..

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - elitegamer360 - 2012-08-03

(2012-08-03, 00:23)survey_sez Wrote: yup that pos looks identical to my ad10..

before i try all that - could it possibly be do to the fact that i have no keyboard attached (i am using remote desktop connection)?

also - maybe the offending driver is the "ite ir transceiver" listed in add/remove programs? maybe all i need to do is unstall the latter? let me know your thoughts before i start recreating the world with a re-install of windows..

The keyboard should not be the problem, the drivers are. Yep you can try uninstall the "ITECIR" driver but windows 90% will always reinstall it back as the most compatible driver, I was gona suggest that but the best option always is a new windows reinstall without using the "ITECIR" drivers and if you are lucky enough they might be identified as an "ehome" drivers by windows in the "USB" section. So yea you can always uninstall the drivers no harm in trying that first.

Best of luck.

Cheers,
EG.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - TweakedEh - 2012-08-09

My problem is the keyboard on the back side of my remote, I can use it to type in here and even notepad with no problem but when trying to use it in XBMC it does not work like I had though.

When I use the ShowKey.exe for example the enter button shows:

KeyID 13 (0xD) VK_RETURN
Mod
Copy <escape>Notification(Key, escape, 3)</escape>
AppCmd

and sure enough when I try to use the enter key on the back side of my remote it does the same thing as the escape key on a normal keyboard. Also the letters on the back of my remote shows like i pushed a key on a number pad with no pattern, a = numpad7 s = numpad 5 u = numpad7

I was wondering if anyone knows what I need to edit to get this to work within XBMC... as long as it works within XBMC I don't care if it does not work outside of it.

1- What Operating system are you using? The version of the OS i.e. Beta, Final Release, Ultimate etc..? 32bit or 64bit?

Windows 7 Home Premium X64

2- What Remote are using? Is it Microsoft Comaptible or is it Microsoft Certified?

I'm not sure but here is a PDF from Acer.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47370909/RL70%20remote%20guide.pdf

The only information I have about the remote:
Philips remote controller EKB remote RT.11300.031 + internal IR Module

3- Was the Remote Certified for use with Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7?

I'm not sure, I purchased a Acer Rl70-Ur10p and this is the remote came with it

4- What IR receiver are you using? HTPC built-in or a USB one? Did the IR receiver come with your remote or did you buy it separately?

Built into the Computer, and I got the remote with this computer.
The Drivers I see are ITECIR Infrared Receiver (SIO2) and Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver

5- IF you are using a USB IR receiver have you got a built-in IR receiver in your HTPC by any chance? Have you disabled the Built-in IR receiver before using the USB one?

N/A

6- Is your IR Receiver listed as "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" under the "Human Interface Devices" in the "Device Manager"?

yes sir

7- Have you tried any kind of software before trying my customised setup? Have you used any apps like EventGhost before using my setup? This is*IMPORTANT, if you used Eventghost in the past you might still have the "Hid service disabled" then you need to Enable the HID service again by*UNTICKING*"Disable hid Service"*in EventGhost.

Nope

8- Please let me know which version of the .reg file you used or if you used the Auto installer method?

I made my own from trial and error.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47370909/Top%20Remote.reg

I only have the one sub folder in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\HidIr\Remotes\

9- If its Keyboard.xml issue, then please include what version did you use and where did you put it? Also if you changed anything in the Keyboard.xml in the system installation folder of XBMC?

I do not have a special keyboard.xml file

10- Finally What XBMC version are you using?

11.0 but will change if I have too

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - TokyoShoe - 2012-08-09

Is it possible to use the method described at the start of this thread to DISABLE the native listening that XMBC does for a remote? I've got an app that already handles this, and I'm getting double button pushes because XBMC is handling it also.

Possible?

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - TweakedEh - 2012-08-10

(2012-08-09, 17:52)TokyoShoe Wrote: Is it possible to use the method described at the start of this thread to DISABLE the native listening that XMBC does for a remote? I've got an app that already handles this, and I'm getting double button pushes because XBMC is handling it also.

Possible?

Are you talking about the 5th question?
5- IF you are using a USB IR receiver have you got a built-in IR receiver in your HTPC by any chance? Have you disabled the Built-in IR receiver before using the USB one?

If so he is asking if you have two IR receivers installed on your computer, if you do you could go into device manager and disable one. It has nothing to do with a setting in XBMC.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - elitegamer360 - 2012-08-11

(2012-08-09, 03:23)TweakedEh Wrote: My problem is the keyboard on the back side of my remote, I can use it to type in here and even notepad with no problem but when trying to use it in XBMC it does not work like I had though.

When I use the ShowKey.exe for example the enter button shows:

KeyID 13 (0xD) VK_RETURN
Mod
Copy <escape>Notification(Key, escape, 3)</escape>
AppCmd

and sure enough when I try to use the enter key on the back side of my remote it does the same thing as the escape key on a normal keyboard. Also the letters on the back of my remote shows like i pushed a key on a number pad with no pattern, a = numpad7 s = numpad 5 u = numpad7

TBH, I would not be able to solve this without the hardware in hand! The remote functions using IR signals but how the keyboard at the back functions? I am not sure but should be using some sort of radio signal I think because you can not point the remote at the IR receiver while typing on it and I really do not think my setup can solve or change what your keyboard is sending because it only change what the normal remote buttons does and not the keyboard buttons. So sorry there is nothing I can do here to help your remote keyboard issue without the hardware to test on.

although two things to suggest:

1- in XBMC Try to ENABLE or DISABLE "Remote Control Sends Keyboard Presses" in Settings_> System_> Input Devices, see if that might help

2- Try and download my custom setup Keyboard.xml_v1.84.zip extract it to %AppData%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps and see if that helps. if you already have your own keyboard.xml in %AppData%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps then back it up to a safe place before attempting this.

(2012-08-09, 17:52)TokyoShoe Wrote: Is it possible to use the method described at the start of this thread to DISABLE the native listening that XMBC does for a remote? I've got an app that already handles this, and I'm getting double button pushes because XBMC is handling it also.

Possible?

NO, XBMCCustomregis is not designed to disable remote or xbmc functions but it can restore default MCE settings if you already installed the custom settings, if you have not got an mce remote already installed then you do not have to worry about this because your issue is not the remote settings or registry issue. Even if you have an MCE remote it will be sending the default MCE keys which should not interfere with your app and XBMC.

What app are you using? Did you try to contact the app developer?

Anyways I think your problem might be due to the fact that you might have used "Intelliremote or eventghost" or anyother 3rd party remote helper application in windows. Usually this happens because windows responds to the key press from your mobile app and another program installed in your computer like "Intelliremote or eventghost" responds as well so you end up with 2 buttons pressed. you need to make sure that no other 3rd party helper applications is installed in windows and if you ever had EventGhost installed make sure the "Disable hid Service" in EventGhost is Unchecked" and eventghost is uninstalled.

Cheers all,
EG.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - TweakedEh - 2012-08-11

elitegamer360 Wrote:TBH, I would not be able to solve this without the hardware in hand! The remote functions using IR signals but how the keyboard at the back functions? I am not sure but should be using some sort of radio signal I think because you can not point the remote at the IR receiver while typing on it and I really do not think my setup can solve or change what your keyboard is sending because it only change what the normal remote buttons does and not the keyboard buttons. So sorry there is nothing I can do here to help your remote keyboard issue without the hardware to test on.

although two things to suggest:

1- in XBMC Try to ENABLE or DISABLE "Remote Control Sends Keyboard Presses" in Settings_> System_> Input Devices, see if that might help

2- Try and download my custom setup Keyboard.xml_v1.84.zip extract it to %AppData%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps and see if that helps. if you already have your own keyboard.xml in %AppData%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps then back it up to a safe place before attempting this.

No worries, I will continue to test and see if I can get it working. It is not really a big deal that it does not work, though it would be nice.

Feel free to take my .reg and PDF and use them on your site to help others Smile

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - kiwi - 2012-08-14

Hi,

I'm sorry but the green button script dowsn't work for me. The remote is Microsoft certified, I followed these steps:

http://xbmccustomregis.sourceforge.net/remote_manu.html#Green_Start_Button

But nothing... I keep pressing the green button but nothing starts. Should I install also the other stuff yto make it work?

Thanks

EDIT:

I restarted the pc and it's working now :
)

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Rusti - 2012-08-14

Old timer here showing you some big respect for the time and effort you have put in to this project. I am very impressed, thank you.

I've been banging my head against the wall tonight as no matter what I try, my green button keeps on launching Windows Media Center and not XBMC. If I manually launch XBMC then I can use the remote with full functionality, no worries.
AutoHotKey seems to be running the script fine after a PC restart (The green H is in the bottom task bar).
I am running Norton Endpoint Security.
Thanks in advance if you find the time to help me out.

1- What Operating system are you using?
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
2- What Remote are using? Is it Microsoft Comaptible or is it Microsoft Certified?
It was called a Rock MCE Remote and from what I can tell it is currently bundled with ASRock ION products. Google suggests it was designed for Vista. http://www.asrock.com/nettop/photo/ION%20330HT-BD-2%28Enlarge%29.jpg
4- What IR receiver are you using?
IR receiver came with the remote. It is USB.
6- Is your IR Receiver listed as "Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver" under the "Human Interface Devices" in the "Device Manager"?
Yes, definitely
7- Have you tried any kind of software before trying my customised setup? Have you used any apps like EventGhost before using my setup?
No.
8- Please let me know which version of the .reg file you used or if you used the Auto installer method?
XBMCCustomregis Setup v1.2.18, http://www.autohotkey.com/download/AutoHotkeyInstall.exe
Eden v11

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - kiwi - 2012-08-14

you should disable the MCE service. To do so, go to:

Control Panel --> Uninstall Software

On the left hand side there is the link Activate, deactivate Windows functionalities (I have windows in italian sorry). A new popup comes up.
Under Multimedia Functionalities folder you'll find Windows Media Center. Uncheck the box and restart the pc. It should work!!!

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - elitegamer360 - 2012-08-15

@ kiwi good you remembered to restart Smile

(2012-08-14, 16:49)Rusti Wrote: Old timer here showing you some big respect for the time and effort you have put in to this project. I am very impressed, thank you.

I've been banging my head against the wall tonight as no matter what I try, my green button keeps on launching Windows Media Center and not XBMC. If I manually launch XBMC then I can use the remote with full functionality, no worries.
AutoHotKey seems to be running the script fine after a PC restart (The green H is in the bottom task bar).

It was called a Rock MCE Remote and from what I can tell it is currently bundled with ASRock ION products. Google suggests it was designed for Vista. http://www.asrock.com/nettop/photo/ION%20330HT-BD-2%28Enlarge%29.jpg
Yes, definitely
7- Have you tried any kind of software before trying my customised setup? Have you used any apps like EventGhost before using my setup?
No.
XBMCCustomregis Setup v1.2.18, http://www.autohotkey.com/download/AutoHotkeyInstall.exe
Eden v11

You are very welcome, thanks for your support mate.

I am working on a brand new setup for XBMCCustomregis, I have written the code from ground up and its around 700 lines of code just for the setup procedure thats to avoid the clumsy restart dialogue every time the setup is run also thats excluding any .reg files scripts or anything else. Although I have rewritten everything again to make the scripts better and more reliable. All is done now finished testing on vista windows 7 and windows 8, all is left now is to update the website with all the new features. Its taking longer than expected because the work is a lot and I am doing this on my free time + its a one man job including updating thread, website, links project download links etc etc.... Time consuming Smile Angel but whats coming should make XBMCCustomregis best tool for xbmc to configure MCE remotes and to tame XBMC at the same time Big Grin

Again thank you for completing the troubleshooting it makes my life easier Smile Now we already know that the asrock remote like yours usually over 90% compatible i.e. the majority are RC6 remotes hence using the "ehome" driver and the "eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)" in the USB devices, but the minority actually uses the "CIR Device Driver" as listed in this wiki

check the image below, you should have something similar to it. If you open the device manager can you see similar drivers as below or you have a "CIR" driver listed somewhere in between

If all is good then download Showkey.exe start show key and press the red or blue button on the remote, then please tell me if showkey actually shows anything as a result, then will take it from there.

Cheers,
EG.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - sergiocos - 2012-08-15

@elitegamer360: Cheers for all your time and effort... Much appreciated!

I wonder if i can map a key to subtitledelayminus or subtitledelayplus (Actions available in Full Screen Video)

I just want to know if possible, then i probably look closely or ask for guidance, if needed. Thanks a lot again!

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - elitegamer360 - 2012-08-16

(2012-08-15, 13:29)sergiocos Wrote: @elitegamer360: Cheers for all your time and effort... Much appreciated!

I wonder if i can map a key to subtitledelayminus or subtitledelayplus (Actions available in Full Screen Video)

I just want to know if possible, then i probably look closely or ask for guidance, if needed. Thanks a lot again!

You welcome sergiocos Smile

Yes you can, just open keyboard.xml and add as below. This is just an example you can always assign any button you want.

In the FullScreen section, you can add _>
Code:
<v mod="ctrl">subtitledelayplus</v>
<z mod="ctrl">subtitledelayminus</z>

you can always change the Ctrl+V or Ctrl+Z to whatever you like but do not forget to make one button on your remote send Ctrl+V and the other Ctrl+Z or to whatever you selected. Again this is just an example you can set any combination to suit your needs.

you can always change what your remote buttons send by using MCERemoteMapper the easiest app ever to change what your remote buttons send.

Anymore help, please let me know Wink

Cheers,
EG.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - Rusti - 2012-08-17

(2012-08-15, 05:35)elitegamer360 Wrote:
(2012-08-14, 16:49)Rusti Wrote: Old timer here showing you some big respect for the time and effort you have put in to this project. I am very impressed, thank you.

Yes, definitely
No.
Eden v11

You are very welcome, thanks for your support mate.

I am working on a brand new setup for XBMCCustomregis, I have written the code from ground up and its around 700 lines of code just for the setup procedure thats to avoid the clumsy restart dialogue every time the setup is run also thats excluding any .reg files scripts or anything else. Although I have rewritten everything again to make the scripts better and more reliable. All is done now finished testing on vista windows 7 and windows 8, all is left now is to update the website with all the new features. Its taking longer than expected because the work is a lot and I am doing this on my free time + its a one man job including updating thread, website, links project download links etc etc.... Time consuming Smile Angel but whats coming should make XBMCCustomregis best tool for xbmc to configure MCE remotes and to tame XBMC at the same time Big Grin

Again thank you for completing the troubleshooting it makes my life easier Smile Now we already know that the asrock remote like yours usually over 90% compatible i.e. the majority are RC6 remotes hence using the "ehome" driver and the "eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)" in the USB devices, but the minority actually uses the "CIR Device Driver" as listed in this wiki

check the image below, you should have something similar to it. If you open the device manager can you see similar drivers as below or you have a "CIR" driver listed somewhere in between

If all is good then download Showkey.exe start show key and press the red or blue button on the remote, then please tell me if showkey actually shows anything as a result, then will take it from there.

Cheers,
EG.

Great work on rewriting the application, make sure you put this project in your resume! Have you thought about asking the XBMC wiki guys for ninja access to the so you can create your own page there and get more recognition for your work?

My Device manager looks very similar to yours...

I downloaded Showkey and the majority of the buttons give a signal but the red and blue buttons do not.

I tried kiwi's advice and unticked the Windows Media Center option in Windows features, restarted, did your auto install again, restarted but that did not work either.
I am also not getting any response in Showkey for my centre Windows green button after doing this.

RE: [WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way - elitegamer360 - 2012-08-17

(2012-08-17, 02:45)Rusti Wrote: Great work on rewriting the application, make sure you put this project in your resume! Have you thought about asking the XBMC wiki guys for ninja access to the so you can create your own page there and get more recognition for your work?

My Device manager looks very similar to yours...

I downloaded Showkey and the majority of the buttons give a signal but the red and blue buttons do not.

I tried kiwi's advice and unticked the Windows Media Center option in Windows features, restarted, did your auto install again, restarted but that did not work either.
I am also not getting any response in Showkey for my centre Windows green button after doing this.

Thank you Rusti, btw no I have not done that. Will try in the near future.

Just to double check when you are talking about the green button you mean the "Big Start Green Button" in the middle of the remote? Have you already installed autohotkey? The GSB script is it running in the taskbar area?

Now I just want to understand since you have the appropriate "eHome" drivers! Is your remote infra-red receiver is built in to the machine or you are using an external USB infra-red adapter like this one ?

The reason I ask because the ASROCK 330HT-BD is known to use the Nuvoton chip which is shipped with the Nuvoton W836x7HG CIR Device Driver. This is bad news because the receiver requires the CIR driver as its not really using the "eHome" registry location. Since the remote is still not working after you installed xbmccustomregis then I presume that you have not installed any remote drivers from ASROCK disk and thats why your device manager shows the drivers as "eHome" I think. If thats the case and you are using the built in IR receiver, then you have two options:

1- Try 2 registry files that I made in the past which in some cases does work,
====> A- Download the Zotac RC6 registry file, unzip, apply registry, click yes then restart. After you restart press the green start button, see if it will start XBMC.
=====> B- Download the Zotac RC260 registry file, unzip, apply registry, click yes then restart. After you restart press the green start button, see if it will start XBMC.
======> If none of the above works then nothing we can do since the IR module in your ASROCK is not configurable.

2- Unplug the IR module from your montherboard and just buy a certified USB MCE IR receiver like the HP one I just posted above. And btw Kiwi solution will have no effect in your case and you can revert to what you used to have, for a real RC6 XBMCCustomregis should work straight away after a restart.

Now please let me know, if you are using an inboard IR receiver or not, or any of the options above works..

Cheers,
EG.