Kodi Community Forum
AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS (/showthread.php?tid=78289)

- CrystalP - 2010-12-22

@ArtVandelae: nice work on the DS and WASAPI sinks. I checked out the AE branch & made minor changes to get it to build under Windows.
Did AC3 and DTS passthrough work for you?
They don't work with my optical spdif output and I'm looking for clues.

This is under W7, so the WASAPI sink is used. My audio options are hdmi+2.0+AC3+DTS+exclusive.
Changed the volume to 1 in the OSD while playing video.

The hdmi output type is on purpose to avoid turning on the encoding engine and still have passthrough.

- Philmatic - 2010-12-22

ArtVandelae Wrote:I have a patch for the Windows audio sinks that I've been meaning to get submitted and one of the things that I added was code to do bitstreaming of the new "HD" formats. I'll get it cleaned up and submitted soon.

Do you have a Paypal I can send a donation to? I'm gonna love seeing this in Windows XBMC and I would like to repay you!

- ArtVandelae - 2010-12-23

CrystalP Wrote:@ArtVandelae: nice work on the DS and WASAPI sinks. I checked out the AE branch & made minor changes to get it to build under Windows.
Did AC3 and DTS passthrough work for you?
They don't work with my optical spdif output and I'm looking for clues.

This is under W7, so the WASAPI sink is used. My audio options are hdmi+2.0+AC3+DTS+exclusive.
Changed the volume to 1 in the OSD while playing video.

The hdmi output type is on purpose to avoid turning on the encoding engine and still have passthrough.

Try the patch I just posted on trac. It fixes an issue where the passthrough device wasn't being saved properly. I was having the same issue before I implemented the fix.

- lymwuwu - 2010-12-26

If I play 16bit/44.1khz and 24bit/176.4Khz WAV files under XBMC and choose WASAPI as audio output device, would XBMC output bitperfect audio via high band width S/PDIF for both WAV files to external DAC?
This is of course assuming the sound interface card would be able to output bitperfect audio up to 24/192.

- gnif - 2010-12-29

Hi All, I am back! Big Grin

I am preparing to bring AE up to date with trunk and CrystalP has started assisting me in getting windows support up to scratch.

To answer some of the questions, and correct some statements.

* ATI 5xxx series work out of the box with the fglrx drivers, no messing around, it just works, not like the nvidia offerings.

* AE can already detect AC3, E-AC3 and the various endian formats of DTS, but not DTS-MA yet. The reason why this has been added is so that when in raw pass-through the stream can switch between formats, and we can detect this on the fly, so that when the format switches from a source like DTV on ad breaks, etc, the packets are still encoded correctly.

This is located in: xbmc/cores/AudioEngine/AEStreamInfo.cpp

IMHO DTS-MA detection should be added here as well.

Expect lots of new code and fixes in the coming week as i dive back into things Wink

- liquidskin76 - 2010-12-29

Great. Keep up the hard work guys. Looking forward to hd audio bistreaming via windows/dvdplayer (oh... and regular merges to keep in sync with trunk!!! Wink)

Cheers

- ashlar - 2010-12-30

gnif Wrote:Hi All, I am back! Big Grin
Glad to have you back. Right on time for starting a great 2011 Big Grin

- gnif - 2011-01-02

Just another update.

AE was merged a few days ago with trunk and things are back where they were when I had to drop off the map.

CrystalP has been doing great work in getting windows support working properly and also identifying and fixing a few bit-streaming issues.

The WAV loading code has been broken out into its own class so that it can be re-used in other engines, such as PulseAudio, and a resample sample count bug has been corrected that caused gui sounds to prematurely end, or crash xbmc.

A re-sample bug has also been corrected that was causing video playback pitch shifting/speed problems.

PulseAudio now has GUI Sound support, making the engine for the most part complete, but there is still a few loose ends to tie up here such as freeing un-used GUI sounds when a theme switch occurs.

Until next time, gnif Smile

- Anssi - 2011-01-02

Regarding furii's question about identifying dts-hd in the GUI, I'm now working on adding identification of DTS-HD HRA/MA in ffmpeg (via profile parameter), after which it can trivially be added to the xbmc gui.

- arad85 - 2011-01-02

Great work... thanks. Which revision should contain everything we need - and any idea when nightly SVN builds will be restarted?

- gnif - 2011-01-02

I have no idea what revision, when its ready it will be ready.

As for nightly builds, AudioEngine, as with all branches are highly experimental and not designed for use by the average person, if you cant built it yourself, and debug it yourself, don't even think about using it.

- arad85 - 2011-01-02

gnif Wrote:I have no idea what revision, when its ready it will be ready.

As for nightly builds, AudioEngine, as with all branches are highly experimental and not designed for use by the average person, if you cant built it yourself, and debug it yourself, don't even think about using it.
Ahh.. I missed the way you were saying it... I thought you'd merged onto the main branch, but what you've done (if I understand correctly) is merged the latest version of the trunk into the AE branch - right?

I wouldn't call myself average (I'm a project manager for large embedded software projects) just I've not built xbmc before, but I would like access to bit-perfect 24/96 playback (I don't have an a/v receiver so all the passthrough stuff is of no use to me, although I do need downmix to stereo of AC-3 and DTS/DTS-HD) on linux.

- garyi - 2011-01-03

Hello. Once this is done will I be able to tell XBMC to play stereo music through my USB dac and tv/video through standard audio out (OSX)?

- gnif - 2011-01-03

@garyi: No, please read the thread to find out what AE is and is not, this has been answered.

@arad85: Yes, you are correct, AE has been brought up to date, not merged into trunk.

- arad85 - 2011-01-03

gnif Wrote:@arad85: Yes, you are correct, AE has been brought up to date, not merged into trunk.
Brilliant - thanks. Looks like I'll be trying this on my second boot drive...