Kodi Community Forum
AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS (/showthread.php?tid=78289)

- gnif - 2011-01-04

Another update,

As you all may already have noticed, we are moving everything over to git, and away from subversion. As excited as I am about moving to git, doing so for AE has been heaps of work, but after 3 days of work, it is finally done.

For those that are interested, the branch is located in my git repository on github here:

https://github.com/gnif/xbmc

To get a copy to play with run:

git clone git://github.com/gnif/xbmc.git

Now for a list of improvements...

The crash on video start has been located and corrected, it was due to the GUI sound being in progress and the sink being re-opened, causing the GUI sound samples to get re-sampled to the new sink parameters, so a rather hairy one to track down and correct, got that, good Tongue

Also GUI sounds are no longer truncated when playback starts, so you don't get the 1/2 swish sound when you choose a file.

Locking has been improved in the software core, and the AE sink, so CPU usage is down even further, and av/sync is much improved, it may even be possible to reduce the ALSA periods even further but only testing on various hardware will tell.

Davilla has said that he will be giving AE some OSX love very soon too, which i think is very exciting.

- Mntz - 2011-01-04

Great work gnif Smile
Thanks for keeping us up to date!

- erhnam - 2011-01-14

Hey gnif, any new progress last days? Smile

- gnif - 2011-01-18

I will post updates as I have time, just be patient for them.

* CGUIAudioManager has been cleaned up and no longer uses the CGUISound class that was just wrapping IAESound.
* CAEWAVLoader has had some bugs fixed that prevented loading of some of the gui sounds.
* Removal of deprecated CAudioContext.

- steelman1991 - 2011-01-18

gnif Wrote:Another update,

As you all may already have noticed, we are moving everything over to git, and away from subversion. As excited as I am about moving to git, doing so for AE has been heaps of work, but after 3 days of work, it is finally done.

For those that are interested, the branch is located in my git repository on github here:

https://github.com/gnif/xbmc

To get a copy to play with run:

git clone git://github.com/gnif/xbmc.git

Now for a list of improvements...

The crash on video start has been located and corrected, it was due to the GUI sound being in progress and the sink being re-opened, causing the GUI sound samples to get re-sampled to the new sink parameters, so a rather hairy one to track down and correct, got that, good Tongue

Also GUI sounds are no longer truncated when playback starts, so you don't get the 1/2 swish sound when you choose a file.

Locking has been improved in the software core, and the AE sink, so CPU usage is down even further, and av/sync is much improved, it may even be possible to reduce the ALSA periods even further but only testing on various hardware will tell.

Davilla has said that he will be giving AE some OSX love very soon too, which i think is very exciting.
Hi

Failry new to all this build-your-own stuff, but managed to pull-down from git, with the instructions above. However not sure whether I've missed something, but do I have to additionally compile an executable to run the app. If so, can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

EDIT

Sorry ignore me - should have searched WIKI first - instructions are there.

- arad85 - 2011-01-18

gnif Wrote:The crash on video start has been located and corrected, it was due to the GUI sound being in progress and the sink being re-opened, causing the GUI sound samples to get re-sampled to the new sink parameters, so a rather hairy one to track down and correct, got that, good Tongue
Hi gnif,

This still appears to be there - if I'm seeing the same thing. Try and play a video and the system just hangs occasionally. I downloaded from git about a week ago. Gone back to 10.0 to see if it still happens there.

When I've a while, I'll enable debug log and see if I can get anything sensible out.

- gnif - 2011-01-21

Arad: Most crashes have been fixed, sounds like you have exposed one I cant re-produce. Can you please provide a stack trace... to get a stack trace do the following.

Install gdb if you have not already

# apt-get install gdb

Run xbmc with gdb:

# gdb xbmc.bin

Type "r" and hit enter to run the program, make XBMC crash...
You will get dumped back into gdb and the app will freeze.

Type "bt" and press enter and send me the resulting text, with this I should have more of an idea of what is crashing.

- arad85 - 2011-01-21

Hi gnif,

Will do - may take a while though - the parts for my i7-2600k build are arriving today Big Grin

- steelman1991 - 2011-01-21

Gnif - just wondering whether there is a problem in the build environment - I have been attempting to build unsuccessfully for the past few days and wondered if it was just me?

EDIT

Pastebin link here http://pastebin.com/iLgbZ1B6, looks like I may be missing a libmms.lib file, if I ma reading properly.

- voyman - 2011-01-21

steelman,

In order to get win32 compilation to work, you have to fix 2 small things:

1) remove 4 now obsolete files from the guilib project - AudioContext.cpp/h GUISound.cpp/h

2) add the following header in mmsio.h - #include <sys/types.h>

This gets rid of the errors and compiles cleanly, but at least on Win7 64bit the current code breaks on video playback.

Regards,
Dave

- liquidskin76 - 2011-01-21

Cheers voyman!

@STEELMAN,

Was about to reply to your pm, however not with a fix! Laugh Big Grin

- steelman1991 - 2011-01-22

@ voyman - thanks a lot that for the info.

@liquidskin - just picked it up - thanks. Wot no solution Laugh its called taking the easy way out - but I appreciate it.

- Dullie - 2011-01-22

steelman1991 Wrote:Gnif - just wondering whether there is a problem in the build environment - I have been attempting to build unsuccessfully for the past few days and wondered if it was just me?

EDIT

Pastebin link here http://pastebin.com/iLgbZ1B6, looks like I may be missing a libmms.lib file, if I ma reading properly.

Hi,

Could you plesase upload a build to test things out if you succeed?

I'd appreciate it, and I am sure many others will..

Props to the developers.

- gnif - 2011-01-22

- steelman1991 - 2011-01-22

Dullie Wrote:Hi,

Could you plesase upload a build to test things out if you succeed?

I'd appreciate it, and I am sure many others will..

Props to the developers.
Respect to Gnif - its obviously not at the stage for public consumption and in deference to his wishes I won't be uploading anything at this stage.

Gnif - though that patch from voyman certainly fixes the build issue, there appears to be other issues at work, that once built there is a failure to start the app, crash on loading.