Kodi Community Forum
AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS (/showthread.php?tid=78289)

- gnif - 2011-07-01

joeyhhdhtpc - I was not aware that there was a nightly build of AE, and if there is, there should not be one!

TonioRoffo - While HeresJohnny is correct, AE can and does do up-sampling if your hardware requires it, there is also an advanced setting to force it to re-sample to whatever you want, but this is really only for debugging purposes or those that have special hardware.

- T800 - 2011-07-01

gnif, can you tell me what exclusive mode is?

Will it be possible in the AudioEngine to swap from bitstreaming to decode whilst playing a file? So if I normally bitstream DTS-HD MA and switch to headphones (optical) can I ask it to decode?

- gnif - 2011-07-01

Exclusive mode is a windows thing, it puts the audio device into exclusive mode so that no other application can use it, its needed for pass-through in some cases I think, but I did not write that code so I cant comment more I am sorry.

As for switching, it depends, if its raw pass-through, then no, but if it is transcoded pass-through, then yes. You can force transcoding with an advanced setting if my memory serves me right if you really want this, but its disabled as AC3->AC3 will incur a quality drop and is rather pointless.

- T800 - 2011-07-01

OK gnif, thanks for your time.

- ArtVandelae - 2011-07-01

Exclusive mode under Windows lets an application take complete control of the audio output device. This is necessary for passthrough since you can't mix bitstreamed audio, but it also allows for unmolested PCM audio to be output.

When exclusive mode is turned off sounds from both XBMC and other programs can be played simultaneously, but it also means that all audio has to be resampled to whatever format Windows wants. I.E. if the Windows mixer wants everything in 48khz then we have to resample everything to 48khz. With exclusive mode on, however, audio will be untouched provided that your sound card or receiver directly supports the sample rate of your media. It will also not be mixed, volume corrected or otherwise changed once it leaves XBMC. In essence, you can get "bit-perfect" audio with exclusive mode.

- T800 - 2011-07-01

Exclusive mode it is then! Nod

- SpectreX - 2011-07-02

ArtVandelae Wrote:Exclusive mode under Windows lets an application take complete control of the audio output device. This is necessary for passthrough since you can't mix bitstreamed audio, but it also allows for unmolested PCM audio to be output.

When exclusive mode is turned off sounds from both XBMC and other programs can be played simultaneously, but it also means that all audio has to be resampled to whatever format Windows wants. I.E. if the Windows mixer wants everything in 48khz then we have to resample everything to 48khz. With exclusive mode on, however, audio will be untouched provided that your sound card or receiver directly supports the sample rate of your media. It will also not be mixed, volume corrected or otherwise changed once it leaves XBMC. In essence, you can get "bit-perfect" audio with exclusive mode.

So basically exclusive mode is the XBMC name for the WASAPI implementation? Because what you have described there sounds like WASAPI.

- gnif - 2011-07-02

No, Exclusive mode is an option of WASAPI, it is not WASAPI. AE has full WASAPI support.

XBMC AE for Windows - BoBeRzE - 2011-07-02

Hello,

i want to test XBMC AE. I can only compile XBMC for Linux and i have no HD Audio equipment. But my dad is able to play HD Audio files and XBMC runs under Win 7 so i need a compiled Version for Windows.

Can anybody provide a copiled version for windows?

many thanks

BoBeRzE

- gnif - 2011-07-03

@BoBeRzE - Since AE is still highly experimental, I am not too keen on people using it that don't know how to compile it, that is why there are no binary releases. This is so that when issues are reported, those reporting them are able to give me detailed bug reports, or diagnose and fix the problem themselves.

AE download - deneven - 2011-07-03

Hi,

Can someone please tell me where I can download the latest AE release?

- darkscout - 2011-07-03

deneven Wrote:Hi,

Can someone please tell me where I can download the latest AE release?

I really hope you're joking.

gnif Wrote:Since AE is still highly experimental, I am not too keen on people using it that don't know how to compile it, that is why there are no binary releases.

Source code is here:
https://github.com/gnif/xbmc

- gnif - 2011-07-03

@darkscout - Thanks, you beat me to it Smile

Exciting new update... dtsHD is partially supported for pass-through now.

dtsHD MA does not work yet though and will cause crash/noise/no audio

dtsHD core should now work however, I will test this as soon as I manage to get my HTPC to myself (wife and kid using it).

- lloydsmart - 2011-07-03

^Nice!

- gnif - 2011-07-03

Another update...

I can indeed confirm that dtsHD core works! I am now adding dtsHD-MA support, should have it working in a bit if things keep going this well.