Kodi Community Forum
AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS (/showthread.php?tid=78289)

- gnif - 2011-07-15

@rayhawk0 - You need to wait until someone who builds this for windows provides me a patch to correct the build files, normally ArtVandalae helps me with this.

- Calvados - 2011-07-15

@rayhawk0 - I run a linux debian64 with ALSA, not a windows based one, so I am not sure, what to tell you here Smile.

- einhänder - 2011-07-15

@gnif
i'm trying out ae for the first time.
i use a a pretty high quality stereo setup imho (xbmc -> toslink -> wolfson dac -> cinch -> sansui au-717 amp -> phonar veritas p5 speakers).

maybe you know how it is if one changes a chain link in an "audio chain" expecting audible shifts. a lot of these shifts might be pure "hallucination" because of the lack of blind testing and certain expectations (brains do funny things).

but after installing ae and as soon as i played back some of my favorite tracks my impression was very positive. sound is hard to describe but to me it sounds like a audible improvement.

hallucination or fact? Smile

p.s. nice to see that crackling disappeared when switching between tracks. seems like ae keeps open the channels.

- gnif - 2011-07-15

@einhänder
Great to hear, it does indeed keep the audio device open if it can, and AE aims at best possible quality output. XBMC was only 16bit and had a few 16bit-float-16bit-float-16bit conversions in some chains where DSP was required, which obviously reduce quality, so I dont think its just your head playing tricks that its better.

- einhänder - 2011-07-15

@gnif
great feedback. Smile
i'll do some 1:1 testing the next days when i'll finish building another htpc for a buddy.

btw. i tried to build ae against external ffmpeg with no luck yet. is it favored to post build errors in this thread?

edit: visualizations seem to be much more accurate with ae?

- gnif - 2011-07-15

visualizations are more accurate for two reasons
* they are handed float data instead of 16bit
* the old code didnt care for channel mapping/count and would stuff 3,4,5,6,7 channels into the stereo input of the visualization.

At the moment build problems with external ffmpeg we are not interested in, the engine is still going through major problems, its actually surprising it works so well at the moment for so many.

- einhänder - 2011-07-15

thanks for the technical details!

gnif Wrote:At the moment build problems with external ffmpeg we are not interested in, the engine is still going through major problems, its actually surprising it works so well at the moment for so many.

no problem && keep up the great work @team xbmc!

- Montellese - 2011-07-15

@gnif: You nuked the whole visual studio project file during your last merge with master i.e. you reverted all the changes to the project necessary to compile AE from VS. I put together a patch you can find here: http://pastebin.com/JdBanufJ
I didn't test BuildSetup.bat but compiling with and running from VS worked fine.

- gnif - 2011-07-15

@Montellese - I have not yet found a nice way to handle merges of the VC project file, I am opting to keep the master version each time as it may have important changes I don't want to squash. If you know of a better way to handle this please let me know.

@gnif: yeah merging the VC project file is a PITA, I always have to do it manually as well. I don't really know why though as it is XML and therefore shouldn't be that difficult to auto-merge. Well I guess there's no other way than pinging a win32 developer when you merge from master and get a conflict in the XBMC.vcxproj(.filters) file(s).

- gnif - 2011-07-15

@Montellese - Would you mind maintaining that for me, I do not have a Windows environment I can build/update it on. Id be happy to grant you commit access so you can update it when it needs to be done.

- liquidskin76 - 2011-07-15

@gnif/Montellese,

BuildSetup on Windows build files is good. Just updated and built ok.

Cheers

I certainly would but unfortunately I'll be abroad from July 21st to August 30th so I won't be able to update it in that period. After that I'd be happy to keep the VC project files up-to-date.

- liquidskin76 - 2011-07-16

@Montellese,

Just tested the most recent windows build however when launching XBMC you get an error saying libmicrohttpd-10.dll is missing.

Thanks

- Calvados - 2011-07-16

Calvados Wrote:@rayhawk0 - I run a linux debian64 with ALSA, not a windows based one, so I am not sure, what to tell you here Smile.

@rayhawk0, gnif:

Actually, I stand corrected. There is a FLAC problem: I started XBMC, played a 24bit 96Khz FLAC, receiver displays 96Khz. Then I played a 16bit 44.1Khz FLAC, receiver stuck with 96Khz display. If you do it in the other direction, first with 44.1 then 96Khz, it will stick to 44.1Khz. I will try later to add a 88Khz multichannel flac to see what happens as well... and save the LOG.