Kodi Community Forum
AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS (/showthread.php?tid=78289)

- bergstr - 2011-08-18

giantpopples Wrote:If you want to have really audiophile output, i suggest you go with an external DAC from Audiophile Brand
If you re-read my initial post you will find that thats what I have done already.
giantpopples Wrote:and connect it to the spdif or optical output of your current soundcard
nah, it connects to the PC via USB, and replaces the internal soundcard (the OS recognizes it as an alternative soundcard automatically). There is no loss of quality over the USB connection. However, there is (or may be) on the way from XBMC through the OS stack onto the sound card, which can be avoided in different ways, one of them being ASIO. What I want to know is if and how XBMC already tries to achieve this, and how this possibly will change in the future through the AE effort that this thread is about..

thanks

- Philmatic - 2011-08-18

WASPI is how I'd roll for bitperfect reproduction through a high quality DAC. If you're getting distortion, I'd point blame at the DAC's drivers.

- bergstr - 2011-08-18

Philmatic Wrote:If you're getting distortion, I'd point blame at the DAC's drivers.
the drivers are the ones that come with Win7, there were no dedicated drivers to install, except for an ASIO driver that is supposed to work in conjunction with foobar2000

- nirmv - 2011-08-18

In DTS Audio files (.wav), It looks like the speakers are not mapped correctly.
I get what seems to be the LFE channel in the rear left speaker...

Can anyone confirm this ?

(receiver is Onkyo 807 and shows "Multich", HTPC is ASROCK Vision 3D with Ubuntu Natty)

EDIT:
I checked using test files from here : http://jkft.info/xbmc/testfiles/channelid/Audio/

In all the 6 channels files + .dts + .ac3 (didn't try 8 channels),
It confirms that there is a problem with speaker mappings :

Front Left channel -> Front Left speaker
Front Right channel -> Front Right speaker
Center channel -> Center speaker
Rear Left channel -> Rear Right speaker
Rear Right channel -> Subwoofer (barely audible)
Subwoofer (LFE) channel -> Rear Left speaker

Do anyone else has this ? please check the test files

Thanks!

- gnif - 2011-08-19

@nirmv, and EVERYONE ELSE testing with PAPlayer (audio), its incomplete, channel re-ordering is broken there for the current time. If anyone would like to fix this... see the warning in the log about GuessChLayout and go from there. If not, just wait Smile.

- mdvries - 2011-08-19

@gnif Was the trace ok and does it help?

- robinsj - 2011-08-23

Just started testing this version. Just did a build for windows. I thought I had everything setup. I have a 7.1 audio system, was testing with two different files that both had dts-hd in them. I set the output to HDMI, and turned it on exclusive mode and changed the speakers to 7.1. I get no audio when I play either file, and the video playback is all jumpy. If I turn the output device to analog, or spdif I get audio, but on my receiver it just says DTS, no dts-hd.

Am I doing something wrong in the setup here, or is it not outputing actual dts-hd yet? I figured it would need to be set to HDMI to get that, but like I stated, on that setting I get no audio.

Oh, am using a Nvidia GT430....

- Balthazaar - 2011-08-23

Is anyone testing AE with a Yamaha receiver? I tested my system as per the thread on NVNews and got a positive result. I would be very interested to see if any other Yamaha users have had success.

Here's a my debug.log

Checking ALSA hw_params shows something happening but the AVR reports 'No Signal'

hw_params:

Code:
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S16_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 8
rate: 192000 (192000/1)
period_size: 768
buffer_size: 24576

When playing video with AE, normal DTS/DD passthrough is working fine, but DTS-HD and TrueHD produce no sound.
Sometimes I get smooth video playback and sometimes I get choppy video playback. When I do get choppy playback, I get a lot underrun errors. I'm wondering if the
Code:
ERROR: CAESinkALSA::AddPackets - snd_pcm_writei returned -32
ERROR: CAESinkALSA::AddPackets - Underrun
errors are due to the ALSA buffer being too small? I have set it at a minimum of 2048 in "/proc/asound/card0/pcm3p/sub0/prealloc", which works for my 24 bit 192kHz & 176khz 6ch audio, but probably not enough for 8ch.

I'm using a an Atom 525 based HTPC with an ION2 (GT218) GPU, Ubuntu 10.04, kernel 2.6.38-10-generic, latest ALSA 1.0.24 from git.

Thanks and hope I'm not making noise in this thread.

- fezster - 2011-08-24

Sorry if this question is answered elsewhere, I did search -

The AE branch - is it based on dharma 10.1 (i.e. the point at which the branch was taken), plus AE specific changes ? Or is the branch constantly updated from trunk ?

And likewise, is trunk updated periodically with changes from AE branch ?

- X3lectric - 2011-08-24

fezster Wrote:Sorry if this question is answered elsewhere, I did search -

The AE branch - is it based on dharma 10.1 (i.e. the point at which the branch was taken), plus AE specific changes ? Or is the branch constantly updated from trunk ?

AE branch is just a export of some way older xbmc GIT revision newer than Dharma older WAY older than current, that is not been updated in a long time even if AE code has the revision of xbmc has been left in dust.

I imgine the idea is to mege AE into master by eden release or xmas time or new year as is around the time xbmc comes out marked as stable and outed.

- liquidskin76 - 2011-08-24

X3lectric Wrote:AE branch is just a export of some way older xbmc GIT revision newer than Dharma older WAY older than current, that is not been updated in a long time even if AE code has the revision of xbmc has been left in dust.

Thats not quite right! Wink

fezster Wrote:Sorry if this question is answered elsewhere, I did search -

The AE branch is based off the master (nightlies). The master is merged into AE on a regular basis by gnif, so it's usually pretty much up-to-date.

With regards to AE being merged into master (nightlies), that won't happy until it's more stable, and there's no set date for this to happen. However, AE will be in Eden (http://trac.xbmc.org/roadmap), so the merge to master will happen before then.

Cheers

- X3lectric - 2011-08-24

be as pedantic as you like Oo, its not quite right but its accurate enough. Eek last time I checked it was more than 2 months behind.

- liquidskin76 - 2011-08-24

Chill dude, not trying to be pedantic, or trying to offend you! Just trying to be helpfull to other users. Blush

Appologies my good man. Wink

- furii - 2011-08-24

X3lectric Wrote:be as pedantic as you like Oo, its not quite right but its accurate enough. Eek last time I checked it was more than 2 months behind.

i'm pretty sure master was merged less than a month ago, definitely not more than 2+ months ago. and certainly far closer what is going out nightly than 10.1 is.

- garbear - 2011-08-25

https://github.com/gnif/xbmc/commit/bfafd974c106d1cec0578c0575a6c714d2f76529

29 days ago