Kodi Community Forum
AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS (/showthread.php?tid=78289)

- ix400 - 2011-11-23

Philmatic Wrote:Don't be a d*ck... They're gearing up for a major release, and they've already said that AE will not be part of it...

Yes, I know. But apart from the Edn release preparations, it seems to be quite quiet in the AE branch surrounding.

Just an impression of a guy who fears to stay forever without XBMC HIgh-def audio.

Chris

- DDDamian - 2011-11-24

IMHO the new AE is the best thing that can happen to XBMC in the near future (call me selfish - I know there's many in the PVR-next camp). For now using Foobar for anything high-def e.g. DSD, MLP, 24-bit FLAC), and I'm sure those heavy on Blu-Ray are getting by with the MPC route.
My understanding is that even binary add-ons aren't on the horizon and would reduce the self-sufficiency of XBMC. That eliminates using the Foobar plug-in method.
XBMC is truly one of the best front-ends for HTPC, and I can't wait for it to become audiophile-quality.
Again IMHO, I'd love to see, in order:
1) AE implemented for WASAPI/ASIO 24-bit output with passthrough
2) Binary plug-ins for SACD/DVD-A/BR input streams
3) Back-end (or better integrated) server/client SQL approach without the hoops
4) PVR?
By the sounds of gnif's last post here he was devastated that AE wasn't ready for Eden, and as anxious as I am to see it happen who can slag the guy for taking on a huge undertaking out of the goodness of his heart and talent of his skills and not meeting OUR timeframe?? Not I - humble and grateful user....
I know XBMC wants to stay multi-platform, but I do question who needs hi-def output on their IOS systems Wink Maybe some divergence is a good thing.
Until then there's other ways to skin the cat and I'll try to be patient knowing that XBMC continues to develop as the number one HTPC front-end. If resources are indeed an issue I doubt many would object to a general call for donations - hint hint........
Thanks devs!!

- davilla - 2011-11-24

AE is a system/platform wide refactor of audio handling. You can't just say it goes in for some platforms and not others. That would trash the code base, make dev and debug difficult. Not going to happen Smile AE goes in for all or it does not go in.

- DDDamian - 2011-11-24

Knew that would be trolling Rofl For myself I'm damn happy that the home computer has become a more-than-worthy AV device and HTPC with a server/client arrangement is the way to go. Now that we have HDMI on cheap video cards to pass on those high-bitrate streams so our dedicated AVRs can do the processing we have the advantages of mass-storage AND customizable user-friendly front-ends in the PC/Mac/Linux worlds with XBMC.
One would think passing-through (i.e. not processing) audio would be easy lol. Instead it has been the holy grail for HTPC audio.
Perhaps given the notable desire to keep XBMC as stand-alone yet multi-platform as possible is better served by the plug-in (add-on) method used by Foobar and Winamp. That way it spreads the development burden around and devs can focus on the core while plug-in devs can work in the platform of their expertise for handling I/O streams.....
That way a Windoze bit-basher can develop the DSD or DTS-MA handlers in his realm of expertise while a Linux or IOS dev can be working on the same goals just in his/her chosen platform. Just a thought. With the pace of development in hardware technology and in stream types it might make sense.

- Jean-Max - 2011-12-05

gnif Wrote:I will NEVER, and I cant stress that enough, promote or agree with dual audio output in XBMC...
OK !
Instead of dual audio, what about a
more easy mode to change from one audio output to another one ?
(ex : HDMI <-> Analog)

During Home Theater use, XBMC device has only it's IR remote, so:
.. if we can modify audio setup with IR remote, modifying asound.conf is impossible on the XBMC device, without an distant networked PC or local KB/Mouse

Thanks for all Smile

nb : Tell me if a thread already exists, about an patch or add-on to change from one audio output to another one, in ONE only command in MENU
Thanks Smile

HDMI Audio Card for future HD audio formats - koko1967k - 2011-12-05

Hi all,
I am using Dharma 10.1 XBMC LIVE with an old DVI video card.

I would like to buy a new HDMI video card for my HTPC this X-mas.

Just wondering which could be a good video card for XBMC LIVE that could easily send HD Audio through HDMI (when it will be ready, of course...).

I looked into passive cooled nVidia G210 (GV-N210SL) and G220.
Will they work with HD Audio on XBMC LIVE?

Or, what are you using to test the AudioEngine under UBUNTU (XBMC LIVE)?

I would really appreciate a suggestion,

thanks a lot.

- Philmatic - 2011-12-05

elite1967 Wrote:Just wondering which could be a good video card for XBMC LIVE that could easily send HD Audio through HDMI (when it will be ready, of course...).

Either NVIDIA's GeForce GT 430 or GT 520 will provide full bit-streaming and the best 1080p hardware acceleration support available right now.

I have the GT 430, and even though it has a fan, it's absolutely silent in my HTPC.

- darkscout - 2011-12-05

XBMC LIVE will not have AE. You will need to compile it yourself.

- koko1967k - 2011-12-05

Philmatic Wrote:Either NVIDIA's GeForce GT 430 or GT 520 will provide full bit-streaming and the best 1080p hardware acceleration support available right now.

I have the GT 430, and even though it has a fan, it's absolutely silent in my HTPC.

Thanks for your suggestion.
I had noticed that in your signature, but you are using it in Windows.
I wonder if it will work in Linux.

darkscout Wrote:XBMC LIVE will not have AE. You will need to compile it yourself.
Do you mean that it's not ready now, or that it will NEVER be part of XBMC Live?

thanks

- fluffylob - 2011-12-05

elite1967 Wrote:Thanks for your suggestion.

I have a passive GT430 working under linux. I compiled an AudioEngine build a while ago and it worked fine for HD Audio. No guarantee the final shipping version will, but I'd be pretty surprised if it doesn't.

- darkscout - 2011-12-05

elite1967 Wrote:Do you mean that it's not ready now, or that it will NEVER be part of XBMC Live?

Not sure when Frodo is expected. But it won't be part of XBMC for at least a year.

- Philmatic - 2011-12-05

elite1967 Wrote:Thanks for your suggestion.

It'll work in Linux...

- koko1967k - 2011-12-05

fluffylob Wrote:I have a passive GT430 working under linux. I compiled an AudioEngine build a while ago and it worked fine for HD Audio. No guarantee the final shipping version will, but I'd be pretty surprised if it doesn't.

Ok. Thanks.
I know that in this thread is not allowed to ask for a binary, but can you point me to a tutorial on how to compile my own version of XBMC LIVE with Audio Engine working for HD audio? Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Thanks.

- darkscout - 2011-12-05

Here

Just change the source from mainline to gnifs.

- rdsu - 2011-12-05