Kodi Community Forum
AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS (/showthread.php?tid=78289)

- koko1967k - 2011-12-06

darkscout Wrote:Here

Just change the source from mainline to gnifs.

Hi darkscout,
Thanks for your suggestion.
But I haven't been able to find a tutorial for dummies in those links.
I am not such an expert still. I might became, though...

Maybe a little more explanation? That would be very helpful!

For example, should I compile the full XBMC application, or the audio engine is a separate application/driver?
Also, does it work in dharma 10.1 or should I use the source code of the Eden's nightly builds?
Finally, where should I change "mainline" to "gnifs".

Thanks again for yor time.

- DDDamian - 2011-12-06

elite1967 Wrote:Ok. Thanks.
I know that in this thread is not allowed to ask for a binary, but can you point me to a tutorial on how to compile my own version of XBMC LIVE with Audio Engine working for HD audio? Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Thanks.

There's a simple D/L if you want to try it - compiled by member Wanilton here http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=479.15 post #17.

You should install to a fresh directory and may wish to run it in portable mode (-p). Also I believe they mention renaming your guisettings.xml in your //special directory and letting this version create it's own.

Be aware it's still a work in progress so you'll get the odd crash but it does to Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA and 24-bit.

There have been a few changes in gnif's branch since Wanilton's build, but not many, and I think you'll find this easier than doing a compile (unless you just want to learn!).

- koko1967k - 2011-12-06

DDDamian Wrote:There's a simple D/L if you want to try it - compiled by member Wanilton here http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=479.15 post #17.

You should install to a fresh directory and may wish to run it in portable mode (-p). Also I believe they mention renaming your guisettings.xml in your //special directory and letting this version create it's own.

Be aware it's still a work in progress so you'll get the odd crash but it does to Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA and 24-bit.

There have been a few changes in gnif's branch since Wanilton's build, but not many, and I think you'll find this easier than doing a compile (unless you just want to learn!).

Excellent, thanks.
I will give it a try.

EDIT: unfortunately this is a Windows version. So no good for me.

Nevertheless, I am eager to learn how to compile my own version with AE under Linux.
Any basic tutorial that you can suggest?

thanks again

- fincheresque - 2011-12-06

I know this isn't the place, and I know there are better tutorials, but this worked for me. (I couldn't get the PPA set up for some reason in 11.10)
Go here:
https://github.com/gnif/xbmc

Make sure on the right of the page you're in the AE Branch

Click the Zip button on the left.

This will download the current AE branch source.

Save it to your home directory

Extract the zip

In a terminal navigate to the extracted folder

Type the following:
Code:
sudo apt-get install git-core make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm yasm automake cmake gperf zip unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo2-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl3 libcurl4-gnutls-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbisenc2 libsmbclient-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev libsamplerate-dev libmpeg3-dev libflac-dev libiso9660-dev libass-dev libssl-dev fp-compiler gdc libmpeg2-4-dev libmicrohttpd-dev libmodplug-dev libssh-dev gettext cvs python-dev libyajl-dev libboost-thread-dev autopoint alsa-source

Wait. One or more of the above may give you some grief. I believe that was the list I used. YMMV

from the same directory type
Code:
./bootstrap

Once that completes, type
Code:
./configure --disable-pulse --enable-alsa
(this may not have to be done, but I had to do it on my system)

Once that completes type
Code:
sudo make

Then
Code:
sudo make install

Then you should be able to type xbmc from a terminal and it will run. Make sure you pick the correct audio output devices. I specifically used the spinners in the device select to pick the Nvidia HDMI audio for passthrough. That worked for me.

Keep in mind that currently I'm using a self-compiled Windows build, and my linux server has no monitor, so I can't really troubleshoot easily. Also, if the above doesn't work, PM me and I'll see if I can help, I don't want to clutter up the thread with compiling help. The wrath of the devs scare me.

Edit: Keep in mind, the above really isn't the _right_ way to do this at all. You should set up a GIT repository, and set up a PPA for the XBMC install. The git repository will come in handy when commits start flowing again, the PPA is probably just the right way to do things. As to why I'm currently using Windows (which was also fairly easy to compile), it's because currently there's no decent way for Blu-ray + Menu playback. So I'm running Arcsoft TMT5 via playercorefactory.conf for that function. Which, BTW, is AWESOME. Nice to see a company that realizes that HTPC users don't want to have to break out a keyboard/mouse to play their media.

- koko1967k - 2011-12-06

@nathanjones
thanks a lot.

Will give it a try. And PM if necessary.

Eureka!! - koko1967k - 2011-12-09

Hi,
just to share my little success: I managed to compile the AE branch!!

What I did was:
1) install XBMC-Live (ubuntu 10.04)
2) update
3) upgrade to the nightly builds
4) copy the source code to my PC
5) copy the dependencies
6) compile

I do not have a HDMI card yet (will buy in the week end) so cannot test the HD audio capabilities so far, but the custom compiled version runs smoothly and shows the new HD audio options in the settings.

Questions:
1) is it better to stay with Ubuntu 10.04 or move to 10.10 or 11.04?
2) got as lot of warnings during the "make" phase. Is it correct?

Bug:
- I found a bug (Please note that my card does not have HDMI output, so this is certainly the cause, but it should not crash):
if I try to select HDMI audio output (in the Settings->System->Audio Output), XBMC crashes with the following lines in the log:
Quote:19:00:55 T:7963088 M:1892921344 INFO: CAESinkALSA::Initialize - Attempting to open device plug:hdmi
19:00:55 T:7963088 M:1892921344 ERROR: CAESinkALSA::Initialize - snd_pcm_open_lconf(-2) - plug:hdmi
19:00:55 T:7963088 M:1892794368 INFO: CAESinkOSS::Initialize - Your hardware does not support AE_FMT_FLOAT, trying other formats

- DDDamian - 2011-12-11

Congrats on the build - takes some work first time. Can't help you on the Ubuntu side (I'm Win7). Just wanted to confirm there are many warnings generated mostly due to dubious type-conversions or unused but declared variables, etc.

Give it a go when you get your HDMI - for all the bugs it's still nice to hear hi-def Flacs in all their glory. Expect lots of stuttering when you try DTS-MA though.

- albaranov - 2011-12-14

elite1967 Wrote:Hi,
just to share my little success: I managed to compile the AE branch!!

What I did was:
1) install XBMC-Live (ubuntu 10.04)
2) update
3) upgrade to the nightly builds
4) copy the source code to my PC
5) copy the dependencies
6) compile

I do not have a HDMI card yet (will buy in the week end) so cannot test the HD audio capabilities so far, but the custom compiled version runs smoothly and shows the new HD audio options in the settings.

Questions:
1) is it better to stay with Ubuntu 10.04 or move to 10.10 or 11.04?
2) got as lot of warnings during the "make" phase. Is it correct?

Bug:
- I found a bug (Please note that my card does not have HDMI output, so this is certainly the cause, but it should not crash):
if I try to select HDMI audio output (in the Settings->System->Audio Output), XBMC crashes with the following lines in the log:

Hi, congrats on your success! I have windows 7, foobar2000 and XBMC Dharma. Do you think I would be able to install the new audio engine on Windows and listen to 24-bit music through the XBMC interface? Thanks, Alex

- Montellese - 2011-12-14

Only if you compile XBMC with AE support yourself. I just checked the latest sources and the Visual Studio solution builds fine on win32 so if you got the knowledge/skills to build XBMC yourself feel free to do so. But (as the title of this topic indicates) there are no pre-built executables/installers for XBMC with AE available.

- albaranov - 2011-12-14

Hi Montellese, thank you for replying. I guess I do not have enough expertise to compile it myself. Bad luck for me! Alex

- DDDamian - 2011-12-14

albaranov Wrote:Hi Montellese, thank you for replying. I guess I do not have enough expertise to compile it myself. Bad luck for me! Alex

Here's the most stable I've tried yet - including a build I made just a week ago (all the latest code). It's for Windows. Please read my post #767 on previous page for some precautions to avoid upsetting your current setup.

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=479.15

If you need help feel free to ask...

[windows] ion - macTh3Knif3 - 2011-12-16

DDDamian Wrote:Here's the most stable I've tried yet - including a build I made just a week ago (all the latest code). It's for Windows. Please read my post #767 on previous page for some precautions to avoid upsetting your current setup.

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=479.15

If you need help feel free to ask...

Hi Everyone ... First post so be gentle ... not sure of the forum rules but I'd have thought all feedback welcome.

I have a Zotac ION based system on win7.

I've tried the above build and video playback is completely messed up (huge number of dropped frames) and I'm getting no audio output. I see from this earlier post during the summer that ION is supported (http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=823555&postcount=393 ), but that was on linux so maybe not in windows ?

Haven't programmed in C++ in years but might have a go downloading source going through any dummy guides to see if I can help. Well done with getting this far ...

- DDDamian - 2011-12-16

Likely just a horsepower issue, but I'd just have to caution patience in that case and wait for development to resume. It's just unrealistic to expect you can quickly get somewhere near a fully usuable build without a ton of work and coding expertise at this point. I'm pretty lucky with that build largely as a result of the hardware side playing ball, but it's still a far from a stable pre-Eden version.

- shadow - 2011-12-18

Has anyone had problems with the video freezing using this branch?

I have always had this problem were a couple times a week at most the video and sound would freeze then after about 10 seconds the audio would come back but the video stayed stuck. The only way to fix it was to ssh in and restart the xbmc-live service.

This was annoying but manageable due to the low frequency but 2 days ago it started happening constantly. I have not been able to finish a 22 minute tv show without it happening once or twice in the last couple days.

Has anyone figured this out. My system has not been touched other then add-ons that auto update which, I assume is the problem because as this started a couple script started giving errors on boot-up. I removed them but the freezing stayed.

I can provide a crash log but only if needed since I don't like some of the info included and it is to big to manually edit. Which is why I am asking f someone had the same problem and knows a fix, first.

EDIT: I disable any add-ons that I had installed but no longer used and disable auto updates for the rest and have went a couple hours no problem so it looks like it is fixed.

Now I am happy I don't have to leave the AE branch because for my use it is done and supports every audio I have threw at it. Now I just can't wait until the XBMC base is updated to a current git.

Thanks for all the hard work.

EDIT 2: I was wrong I just had a run of luck it is still bad.

- rodercot - 2011-12-23

HI All,

I've compiled the ae version I want to install it to test out but currently I am running eden pre via unstable ppa and I am wondering how to temporarily uninstall that version without losing my library etc... so I can install the AE version to test.

Thanks,

Dave