Kodi Community Forum
AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS (/showthread.php?tid=78289)

- GreenEyez - 2012-01-30

Ok DDDmian, here is the log : http://pastebin.com/FjLnurzt

For gnif, the issue is as following : When forwarding the video using the right arrow key, the video freezes sometimes, i pause and un-pause it, it starts working, but it takes 4-5 seconds for the receiver to get the DTS-HD stream back, and after that the video shutters for 2-3 seconds and everything goes back to normal (i.e. playback is perfect)

- dado483 - 2012-01-30

gnif Wrote:@dado483 - What is this fork, what is different about it to the official AE branch... I merge AE with whats in master periodically so it is effectively EDEN+AE already.

@gnif: My "AE-betaEden" branch is EDEN+AE+PVR (opdenkamp).
AE code is exactly what there is on your master AE branch

- DDDamian - 2012-01-30

GreenEyez Wrote:Ok DDDmian, here is the log : http://pastebin.com/FjLnurzt

For gnif, the issue is as following : When forwarding the video using the right arrow key, the video freezes sometimes, i pause and un-pause it, it starts working, but it takes 4-5 seconds for the receiver to get the DTS-HD stream back, and after that the video shutters for 2-3 seconds and everything goes back to normal (i.e. playback is perfect)

@GreenEyez - please enable debugging in System>Settings>System>Debugging and repost after duplicating - log is not a debug log. Thx.

- GreenEyez - 2012-01-30

Ups, i`m an idiot, i forgot about that (should have actually read my own log before posting), i`ll post back in a couple of hours (TV is used atm by my GF) with the proper log.

- koko1967k - 2012-01-30

DDDamian Wrote:@elite1967 - I'm more working the windows side, but I looked at your log (as it's pretty early where gnif is and he codes all night Laugh) and it appears AE couldn't inititalize your hardware device:

Code:
INFO: CAESinkALSA::Initialize - Attempting to open device hdmi,AES0=0x06,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x00,AES3=0x0e698.
18:53:17 T:140518060201728   ERROR: CAESinkALSA::Initialize - snd_pcm_open_lconf(-2) - hdmi,AES0=0x06,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x00,AES3=0x0e699.
18:53:17 T:140518060201728   ERROR: CAESinkOSS::Initialize - Failed to get supported formats, assuming AFMT_S16_NE

Are your settings correct for your ALSA output device? That's about all I can suggest. If that doesn't help gnif will be able to guide you further.

@ DDDamian,
All the settings are the same. I just swap the xbmc.bin file inside /usr/lib/xbmc.
With the previous version there are no errors, with this new version I have errors.

Using Ubuntu 11.04 32 bit.
Nvidia 430GT

- abudabi - 2012-01-30

dado483 Wrote:@gnif: My "AE-betaEden" branch is EDEN+AE+PVR (opdenkamp).
AE code is exactly what there is on your master AE branch

Does this mean your version does VAAPI accelaration? (what I've normally used the opdenkamp ppa for)

Or is there ATI HW acceleration in the AE branch already?

Sorry if this has been answered already... I just read the last 20-30 pages of the thread and didn't see any mention of it.

- GreenEyez - 2012-01-31

Ok, got the proper logs :

First, the issue i found the the first time i tried AE

Quote:For gnif, the issue is as following : When forwarding the video using the right arrow key, the video freezes sometimes, i pause and un-pause it, it starts working, but it takes 4-5 seconds for the receiver to get the DTS-HD stream back, and after that the video shutters for 2-3 seconds and everything goes back to normal (i.e. playback is perfect)

And the log for the issue : http://www.mediafire.com/?a4448safeyoqw83 (sry for not using paste bin, but the log is larger than 500KB )

And now for the second issue i`ve found. Basically audio dropouts from time to time, at 2 minute intervals or so. I let a movie play for around 13 minutes so there are about 5 audio dropouts.

Here`s the log : http://pastebin.com/zESQxjSr (this one is on pastebin)

Btw, is it normal that the DTS-HD / True HD options below have no naming (maybe gnif) forgot to add the strings for the name. And there is another one, the lowest one, below audio output device which i have no clue what it does, but seems to be enabled

- DDDamian - 2012-01-31

@GreenEyez - looks to me from the photo you're not running it from the proper directory or with the proper supporting files - it's missing strings to say the least. Make sure you're running it from a directory with all the normal package files.

For the first issue there was an endless-loop scenario possible which has now been fixed.

For the second issue I can see you've used the newest version and there are some discontinuities or drop-outs logged. It's something we're fine-tuning in both Linux and Windows builds, so the feedback helps there (close but not close enough lol).

So problem #1's fixed, prob #2 a WIP but a fairly easy one.

- GreenEyez - 2012-01-31

I`ve replaced the normal XBMC.exe with the one you gave in the C:/Program Files/ XBMC folder, should have i have run it from a different directory?

Thanks for looking at the logs, and i`m glad they help out. When you guys are done fine tuning the Windows version, hit me a PM and i`l gladly test out. I check this thread daily anyway.

- DDDamian - 2012-01-31

GreenEyez Wrote:I`ve replaced the normal XBMC.exe with the one you gave in the C:/Program Files/ XBMC folder, should have i have run it from a different directory?

Thanks for looking at the logs, and i`m glad they help out. When you guys are done fine tuning the Windows version, hit me a PM and i`l gladly test out. I check this thread daily anyway.

It can't find strings.xml in the language directory so it's missing the text in your settings window.

That said, thx for the feedback - it helps Big Grin

EDIT: PM sent to fix issues for ya.

AE Testing - OtisPresley - 2012-02-01

I compiled on my Windows 7 x64 PC and tested on my HTPC, which has the following hardware and software:

XBMC running in portable mode
Foxconn H67S Mini-ITX MB
Intel i3-2105 (HD Graphics 3000)
Rotel RSP-1570 processor (HDMI connection)

Results:
  • DTS-HD audio plays ok if in Exclusive Mode. There seem to be some glitches if not.
  • TrueHD audio has constant drop-outs and some video shudders. This is the same result on all M2TS files that I tested with TrueHD audio tracks, which was 6-10 of them.
  • LPCM audio plays fine in Shared Mode and Exclusive Mode.
  • FLAC (16 bit 44.1 KHz) does not switch the processor in any mode.

Shared Mode uses my HDMI Audio Device settings (24 bit 192KHz and displays Multi-Channel PCM on the processor), but Exclusive Mode uses 44.1 KHz and whatever the default setting is on the processor (This was Dolby PLII Cinema until I changed it to PCM 2.0 so I could hear the FLAC's properly).

I don't know who I would send this information to, but XBMC needs to incorporate support for Intel QuickSync in order to support Sandy Bridge. I do not know if FFMPEG has incorporated support for QuickSync or not, but I know that FFDShow has in their implementation. This is what I am using in the Shark007 settings for H.264 and VC-1.

If DXVA2 hardware acceleration is used on a Sandy Bridge HD Graphics platform, there is a lot of video blocking with H.264 decoding that occurs because it is not using Intel QuickSync. Other formats seem to play fine. In this XBMC build, disabling DXVA2 was not an option because it makes 1080p video playback very choppy. I suspect that this may be because I cannot see my mapped drives in portable mode and have to use smb:// paths to play files, which has been a bit buggy in XBMC in the past.

I currently use MPC-HC as an external player for M2TS files on this system with XBMC and the Sharc007 codecs, and everything plays perfectly using the following filters:
  • FFDShow Video with Intel QuickSync enabled for H.264 and VC-1
  • LAV Audio with pass-through enabled for all formats
  • LAV Splitter set to enable forced subtitles by default
  • FFDShow Video for subtitles

Keep up the great work, and I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need any debug logs or video samples uploaded.

- DDDamian - 2012-02-01

@OtisPresley - welcome to the forums and thx for the feedback.

1) DTS-HD - adding user-controlled buffer size which will eliminate the drop-outs or glitches - the source currently has hard-coded buffer sizes based on testing for lowest latencies. Should be updated shortly.

2) TrueHD - between 28th and 30th an endless loop seems to have been introduced where the WASAPI code reports the incoming stream is compatible, but then is asked to re-open. Your log for this would have been very long indeed lol. Investigating

3) LPCM and FLAC are the same thing - just FLAC is compressed. It gets decompressed before it hits the AudioEngine. So AE sees both the same. The behaviour you're describing is correct for playback of 16/44.1 PCM files as that is the sink default. All audio devices should play this as a minimum as it's the Redbook CD standard. When AE is initialized it defaults to this, so playing 16/44.1 PCM files will work fine and not cause any switching unless immediately preceeded by a different format. FYI, mp3s are decoded to 16/44.1.

Shared mode will always default to your Windows sound settings unless using a RAW (passthrough) format such as DTS, Exclusive Mode resets the audio driver to match the source format or closest format the driver reports as compatible.

For the SandyBridge issues try searching the forums - can't help you there.

Thx for the feedback - working on the glitches you mentioned and hope the info provided helps.

- PatrickBateman - 2012-02-01

DDDamian Wrote:@OtisPresley - welcome to the forums and thx for the feedback.

1) DTS-HD - adding user-controlled buffer size which will eliminate the drop-outs or glitches - the source currently has hard-coded buffer sizes based on testing for lowest latencies. Should be updated shortly.

2) TrueHD - between 28th and 30th an endless loop seems to have been introduced where the WASAPI code reports the incoming stream is compatible, but then is asked to re-open. Your log for this would have been very long indeed lol. Investigating

3) LPCM and FLAC are the same thing - just FLAC is compressed. It gets decompressed before it hits the AudioEngine. So AE sees both the same. The behaviour you're describing is correct for playback of 16/44.1 PCM files as that is the sink default. All audio devices should play this as a minimum as it's the Redbook CD standard. When AE is initialized it defaults to this, so playing 16/44.1 PCM files will work fine and not cause any switching unless immediately preceeded by a different format. FYI, mp3s are decoded to 16/44.1.

Shared mode will always default to your Windows sound settings unless using a RAW (passthrough) format such as DTS, Exclusive Mode resets the audio driver to match the source format or closest format the driver reports as compatible.

For the SandyBridge issues try searching the forums - can't help you there.

Thx for the feedback - working on the glitches you mentioned and hope the info provided helps.

Hey DDD,

Compiled the latest version and also grabbed the 29th version. Ill have a tinker about tonight and if you need any thing testing let me know Smile

My Denon 4311ci omitted numerous errors With the latest build I compiled today, but the 29th was actually far more stable.

Anyway, let me know if you need anything. And awesome work on the WASAPI side of things Nod

- DDDamian - 2012-02-01

PatrickBateman Wrote:Hey DDD,

Compiled the latest version and also grabbed the 29th version. Ill have a tinker about tonight and if you need any thing testing let me know Smile

My Denon 4311ci omitted numerous errors With the latest build I compiled today, but the 29th was actually far more stable.

Anyway, let me know if you need anything. And awesome work on the WASAPI side of things Nod

Thanks bro - just FYI - my contribution has been very humble - this is gnif's genius at work. Big Grin I push boulders up-hill with my shoulder and sweat, gnif has a space elevator.

Play away - being aware of what I've mentioned above. If you do find something we're not aware of (not mentioned above) please exit XBMC, re-open and duplicate only the events that triggered the issues and post the debug log. That way we get a clean view of the event without reading 1,000 lines lol. Also post a synopsis of your hardware and audio driver version. Thx.

- MutatedHero - 2012-02-02

I'm running the latest build today and made a test with a DTS-HD music video sample.
The video plays fine in DTS-HD but when switching to the AC3 tack the sound stops and the video starts to stutter and fast forward. If I then try to change back to DTS-HD, XBMC says that it "failed to initialize the device".
Pushing stop (not pause) and then starting the video again brings the sound back.

I also noticed that in the log it says it assumes that it is an 1080i file. It should be 1080p. But this might just be me reading the logs wrong.

Here is a clean log.
http://pastebin.com/24EaZK0n

Thanks for all the hard work. I can hear a clear difference in the audio quality coming from the DTS-HD track. Smile