Kodi Community Forum
AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS (/showthread.php?tid=78289)

- DDDamian - 2012-02-02

@MutatedHero - there is an issue right now with paused streams - I know gnif's been working at it. Thx for the feedback!

- MutatedHero - 2012-02-02

DDDamian Wrote:@MutatedHero - there is an issue right now with paused streams - I know gnif's been working at it. Thx for the feedback!

I'm just glad to help testing and providing feedback since I'm not a good coder. Smile

- Gryph - 2012-02-04

Well I'm back now and can get back into testing; although no issues with playback of any files.

If I pause or skip part of a movie or tv show, it will run in fast forward for a moment and then xbmc will crash

Natty 11.04 x64 minimal server

Crash log with stack trace: http://pastebin.com/nwB2xWK6

- MutatedHero - 2012-02-04

Gryph Wrote:Well I'm back now and can get back into testing; although no issues with playback of any files.

If I pause or skip part of a movie or tv show, it will run in fast forward for a moment and then xbmc will crash

Natty 11.04 x64 minimal server

Crash log with stack trace: http://pastebin.com/nwB2xWK6

Mine also does the fast forward thing after skipping but it does not crash. And after a few seconds it returns to normal playback.

- rodercot - 2012-02-07

Gnif,

wanted to let you know it seems that nvidia 295.17 breaks AE. I am not sure what they changed between 295.09 and the newest beta driver. it loads fine, xbmc starts up fine, I get gui sound so it initializes the card fine when opening xbmc but as soon as I try and playback any file the gui says it cannot initialize the sound card. It the log it loads it up as NULL for the file everytime. I have a log but pastebin is busy and it will not load. I am updating alsa to 1.0.25 right now and I will report back if fixed. This is on 11.10 mythbuntu with sandy bridge and a gt430 running 3.3rc2 kernel.

Dave

- Hack_kid - 2012-02-08

rodercot Wrote:Gnif,

wanted to let you know it seems that nvidia 295.17 breaks AE. I am not sure what they changed between 295.09 and the newest beta driver. it loads fine, xbmc starts up fine, I get gui sound so it initializes the card fine when opening xbmc but as soon as I try and playback any file the gui says it cannot initialize the sound card. It the log it loads it up as NULL for the file everytime. I have a log but pastebin is busy and it will not load. I am updating alsa to 1.0.25 right now and I will report back if fixed. This is on 11.10 mythbuntu with sandy bridge and a gt430 running 3.3rc2 kernel.

Dave

hmmmmm. this is intersting! any follow up?

- rodercot - 2012-02-08

Gnif,

pastebin sucks - LOL. I will try again later if not I will just upload it to my web-server and paste it that way. Anyhow tried to install alsa 1.0.25-3 it made it even worse. Ended up with a kernel paging Oops in the snd-hda-codec which included pretty much any sound and video related module and from there on it was borked. So I did a clean install last night nothing loaded that did not need to be loaded and I just used the nvidia binary driver instead of edgers ppa and it shows the exact same issue. open xbmc - gui sounds etc no problems, load up a file and within seconds you get the cannot initialize error and this is on any type of file. I have tried mkv, ts, m2ts, wmv, avi, mpeg2 etc as well as any kind of audio, dts, ac3, dts-hd, truedhd, flac. I will get the log posted today somehow.

I am almost afraid to try and install alsa but I will give it a shot tonight by loading alsa first and then updating the driver. I will know right away because it will Oops the kernel on reboot after install. Oh well what is another 3 hours to do a clean install. LOL.

Does anyone have the 295.09 binary, I had it but did not back it up when I re-installed last night, I would like to compare notes, but I am + i had the 295.09 working. OH ya the vanilla alsa is 1.0.24-2 on the clean install.

The crappy thing if it is alsa related then I can file a bug if it nvidia related then i can't but it would be nice to try the 295.09 beta binary driver as well, there were not suppose to be that many changes in the two.

here is the log file. http://pastebin.ca/2112400 I do have a copy of the 295.09 beta driver I will try that tonight as well and report back.

Gnif if this is a driver issue and you can tell me what it is affecting I will take the results over the the nvidia forums and see if we can get some help there.

Dave

- rodercot - 2012-02-09

So I think I found the problem now I am just trying to figure out how to fix it, with either 295.09 or 295.17 my dmesg after a clean boat seems to show duplicates of the nvidia stuff. take a look you will see what I mean. I hate lightdm and I REALLY hate the nouveau driver.

http://pastebin.ca/2113474

EDIT - I tried installing alsa 1.0.25 from git this time on the on the 11.10 system and it again causes a kernel OOPs, I booted up my 10.04 test hard drive which is working 100% with the 3.3rc2 kernel and it has alsa 1.0.25 installed and no kernel issues, but however both 295.09 and 295.17 binary's and the 295.17 deb from edgers ppa cause the same scenario. With either of those drivers installed my dmesg report looks the same as the pastebin link included in this post. As soon as I remove those drivers and reinstall 290.10 as nvidia-current the problem goes away. I notice that 3.3rc3 is out, I will load that up tomorrow and start testing it. The funny thing is that sound still works fine in myth and vlc with either driver installed.

Dave

AE Testing - bklynnykid - 2012-02-09

My HTPC specs:
Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge
Biostar TH61 ITX Mainboard
Radeon HD 6450 1GB DDR3 PCIe X16
Kingston SSDNow V100 64GB
4GB PC3-1066 DDR3 RAM

Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR709

I grabbed the latest version from gnif's github and compiled on my Win7x64
machine with the following results:

DTS-HD MA: Playback of all movies tested successfully in both exclusive and shared mode. Playback using exclusive mode sounded much better.
Dolby TrueHD: Experienced occasional audio skips in all movies. Results were the same in exclusive and shared mode.
LPCM, ES Matrix, DTS, Dolby 5.1: All played successfully in both modes of operation.
FLAC: Sounds AWESOME with the audiophile option enabled in exclusive mode!

I did experience XBMC AE crashing when stopping playback of a FLAC music files. This happened twice and didn't occur again on subsequent tries.

-Ki

- bklynnykid - 2012-02-10

After playing FLACs for a few hours, I have been experiencing some audio skips and clipping towards the end of the songs. Anyone else experience this?

- DDDamian - 2012-02-10

bklynnykid Wrote:After playing FLACs for a few hours, I have been experiencing some audio skips and clipping towards the end of the songs. Anyone else experience this?

Hi bklynnykid - glad you're liking the sound Smile

That's a first if you're getting some issues with FLAC - we know there's an issue in DVDPlayer with some skips. If you see any pattern or can capture an event in a debug log pls post it here (specifically playing music).

- bklynnykid - 2012-02-10

I think I figured out what the issue was. I had crossfading enabled and after disabling it the clipping has stopped.

DDDamian Wrote:Hi bklynnykid - glad you're liking the sound Smile

That's a first if you're getting some issues with FLAC - we know there's an issue in DVDPlayer with some skips. If you see any pattern or can capture an event in a debug log pls post it here (specifically playing music).

- DDDamian - 2012-02-10

bklynnykid Wrote:I think I figured out what the issue was. I had crossfading enabled and after disabling it the clipping has stopped.

Glad to hear it - yes, cross-fade + audiophile may cause an issue especially if there's a difference between channel count/sample rate between songs. That setting essentially prevents the resampling of audio to match streams for cross-fading.

- Hack_kid - 2012-02-10

I get lots of issues with audiophile enabled in as.XML with Linux, like not being able to initialized audio device unless I restart xbmc

- rodercot - 2012-02-10

So after another clean install of mythbuntu 11.10. Using the Vanilla included kernel of 3.0.0.15-generic-pae everything updated and everything working including 290.10 drivers from the x-swat ppa's everything works as it should and only one instance of HDMI/DP hotplug in dmesg after a clean boot. A soon as I try either binary 295.09 or .17 everything acts exactly the same way with as many as 4 HDMI/DP hotplug events in dmesg. I am not sure what it is, udev is loading a rule multiple times that I can see when those binary drivers are installed - I THINK, at least that is what I can find on google, it does not seem to bother vlc or mythfrontend at all so I am not sure nvidia will consider it a bug.

Dave