Kodi Community Forum
AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS (/showthread.php?tid=78289)

- DDDamian - 2012-03-06

@repi - I have given you the infraction. The PM sent will explain why. It also explains how to get the help you require with your issue.

Insultive behaviour to any forum user or developer will result in at least a further infraction or ban.

- mightymouse2045 - 2012-03-06

gnif Wrote:If your problem is indeed a core AE issue, then post your problem, full debug logs, and if applicable, a stack trace. Keep this thread clean of extra crap, I need to see the REAL bug reports and not the configuration bug reports.
[/b]

Hi Gnif,

Glad to see your back around again - I see you deleted a couple of my posts as well... they were most definitely the evil support related posts, so fair call... However I think they are needed for certain users who are attempting to trial/test AE (which would help in the development phase etc), but because of the difference in mainstream to AE can't figure out how to make AE work in the first place to test so give it a miss.

The more users testing your work out the better for you guys as long as they are posting actual bugs and not just "how do I get my NVidia card working" etc.

As Phil65 posted, the forum rules state:
Code:
Developers forums for XBMC related development, by programmers and coders only!
No end-user support, [b]no bug reports[/b], and no feature/function requests in this forum!

To tell you the truth I didn't read that until now, but it leaves me feeling a little confused as to whether or not we should even be posting bugs in this forum or just leave this forum entirely alone for the developers...

If it's the latter then I think it would be useful that a support thread is created, where these support issues and bugs can be posted, by one of the developers or moderators of this forum, and this dev thread is left alone entirely for the developers.

That way this one would be clear of all this other mess and then you could skim through the support thread instead for actual bugs, that should be clearer to spot, because lets face it bugs are things that can't be resolved with support. Like the bug that no matter what I can't get HD sound through AE with pulse enabled (PCM only displays on the receiver), and I can't get ANY sound at all with pulse disabled and without my patch.

This regression was clearly introduced with the commit I specified in my previous post after a few hours of hacking around with different branches.

I understand now the error I posted is not related to the device string - I am new to XBMC so assumed that was the indicator for the incorrect device name but now I know it's this one
Code:
INFO: CAESinkALSA::Initialize - Attempting to open device plug:hdmi
ERROR: CAESinkALSA::Initialize - snd_pcm_open_lconf(-2) - plug:hdmi

I have all passthrough options enabled, I build AE with --disable-pulse, and only have Alsa & Pulseaudio drivers in my system.

The device string I am using is hdmi:NVidia - and not trying to teach you how to suck eggs but HDMI NVidia users will most likely have a combination of the following as a custom device name:

hdmi:Card=name/number,Dev=number
hdmi:name/number,DEV=number
hdmi:name/number,number
hw:Card=name/number,Dev=number
hw:name/number,DEV=number
hw:name/number,number
plughw:Card=name/number,Dev=number
plughw:name/number,DEV=number
plughw:name/number,number

I can tell you that for me AE built WITH --disable-pulse AND my little patch, the above hdmi combinations all work, but the hw: and plughw: fail.

AE built WITH --disable-pulse and WITHOUT my patch ALL of the above fail because no matter what custom name is put in it ONLY attempts to initialise plug:hdmi which doesn't exist.

The only audio config change from a default install I've made is to add a modprobe mask that's it.

Also Not to be picky, but why is it Eden can enumerate the device names but AE can't... is that a known bug or is it just my machine?

- DDDamian - 2012-03-06

@MightyMouse - I've created a Windows testing thread, but that won't help Linux users (or ATV etc), so gnif will have to decide how best to answer your question.

I think that he generally wants to keep this easy to read, so long posts are not the answer. Just "here's my issue", "here's my setup/platform/hardware", and "here's my log / stack trace". It just keep it easy to skim and assess what's relevant and what needs focusing on.

- mightymouse2045 - 2012-03-06

DDDamian Wrote:@MightyMouse - I've created a Windows testing thread, but that won't help Linux users (or ATV etc), so gnif will have to decide how best to answer your question.

I think that he generally wants to keep this easy to read, so long posts are not the answer. Just "here's my issue", "here's my setup/platform/hardware", and "here's my log / stack trace". It just keep it easy to skim and assess what's relevant and what needs focusing on.

Well that's good I hadn't noticed it...

Is there enough of a difference between the different OS versions of XBMC to warrant a separate thread dedicated to support of each OS version, or could we perhaps just take your windows thread and rename it to be the general support\testing\bug report thread for AE?

If separate is the way to go then we can just wait and see what Gnif comes back with to getting one of the developers or even himself to start the support\testing\bug report thread.

I mean I could of course create one but being a junior member and going off and attempting to start an official support thread for AE would probably be met with little support, and get lost amongst the other 1000's of other threads in no time and be of no help whatsoever in the long run.

If it had gnif's name against it and was created as a sub forum perhaps in Help and Support > XBMC General Help and Support > Pre Release Versions > XBMC AE

Or perhaps as a new sub forum under Development:

Development > "Under Development" Support > XBMC AE Support

Then have your Windows thread stickied and one for Linux and MAC? versions etc?

Just some thoughts - I think it would be a much better start.

Obviously as AE is starting to get a lot more attention as more and more people accidentally stumble across it (As I did from reading through cxbikers attempts at getting HD support patched into Linux), and see where it's heading you are bound to start getting more and more people asking support questions on how they can FINALLY get some proper freaking pass through working on their PC's Eek

- DDDamian - 2012-03-06

@MightyMouse - that will happen, when gnif feels its time. I only did mine because I am well-versed in that code and that platform. As of today a thread has gone up in the team area for developers only as this thread is getting cluttered with non-bug-report posts. We value bug-reports, but this is the development forum so there's less tolerance than the general forums,

Now let's stop cluttering and get back on-topic.

- Fneufneu - 2012-03-06

welcome back gnif !

i have some problems since audiophile option, i'll work on it with your recent drain fix.
i reverted all audiophile commit related and it works perferctly on FreeBSD/OSS.

thanks again for your work.

- wingrunr21 - 2012-03-06

gnif Wrote:@repi, @wingrunr21 - This is a DEVELOPMENT thread, not a support thread, these device string issues are NOT what this thread is for, it is for DEVELOPERS to collaborate on problems, not users to discuss what different hardware settings they need to make things work.

Apologies, I know what it's like for your development time to be sucked away by other tasks (that was never my intention). I'll send you a PM with my viewpoint. Publicly, however, I do think a support thread is a good idea so issues like device string issues can be ironed out and, if it exists, a specific bug can then be posted here.

gnif Wrote:@wingrunr21 - Can you please post a complete debug log, I need to see everything to get an idea of what's going on.

Here is the full debug log:
http://pastebin.com/EdPWA8NT

I first tried to play the DTS file. Right after that I tried Airtunes. It printed all the way to the 4 "06:39:32 T:140091280316160 DEBUG: Thread Jobworker 140091280316160 terminating (autodelete)" lines and the UI locked up. I let it sit for a few minutes trying to connect and then canceled it in iTunes. It took 4 minutes for the UI to regain responsiveness (I realize that number probably means very little but I measured it anyway).

- gnif - 2012-03-07

Updates:

* Fixed crash with transcoded output (noticed by users when turning off LPCM capable reciever) under windows.
* Reworked the way SoftAE decides on a master stream.
* Fixed a rare segfault in PAP due to my poor locking.

@wingrunr21 - I do not have an airplay device and I can not see any obvious cause for your issue, to track this one down I will need access to one of these devices.

- einhänder - 2012-03-07

I use HDMI for passthrough and SPDIF for music.
Passthrough works fine but when I try to playback a stereo music track I do not get any output over SPDIF but instead the signal is output through hdmi too. Although I specified SPDIF as audio output device.

In order to get a signal on the SPDIF outlet I have to switch the outlet in the audio output section while playback is running. Then I do get a signal on SPDIF. But I can't always force the output by doing so. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it works while selecting analog sometimes by selecting SPDIF. Then it sometimes doesn't matter which setting is activated, let it be HDMI, SPDIF or analog.

Attached is a log which shows what I was doing in order to get a signal: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/562353/

P.S. Looks like the last commit reintroduced the bug which mutes upon xbmc startup.

- gnif - 2012-03-07

@einhänder - It is not designed to work this way at all, as far as AE is concerned, audio is audio weather it comes from dvdplayer or PAP, but if you can detail your audio settings I will see what can be done.

Re mute bug, no, none of that code has been touched, however the mute code needs to be cleaned up some and does some strange stuff still on occasion.

- wingrunr21 - 2012-03-07

gnif Wrote:Updates:

* Fixed crash with transcoded output (noticed by users when turning off LPCM capable reciever) under windows.
* Reworked the way SoftAE decides on a master stream.
* Fixed a rare segfault in PAP due to my poor locking.

@wingrunr21 - I do not have an airplay device and I can not see any obvious cause for your issue, to track this one down I will need access to one of these devices.

Unfortunately these latest commits have broken all passthrough audio. Video plays at about 1.5x the correct speed and there is zero audio. First video is a DTS video, second is DTS-HD, third is TrueHD.

Debug log:
http://pastebin.com/zpjJR4bp

Also, if you have iTunes installed, you can use that to Airplay/Airtunes to XBMC (there's a little triangle in the bottom right-hand corner). I'll try and do some of my own troubleshooting.

- DDDamian - 2012-03-07

@gnif, yeah it introduced a glitch. You're getting some sleep so I'll post findings on internal forum or catch you on IRC. Know you're away this w/e so no worries if I don't see you there.

Not muting, was from SoftAE commit.

EDIT: @gnif - SoftAE:RunRawStreamStage line 1083 uint8_t *frame = masterStream->GetFrame(); returns null pointer

RE: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - einhänder - 2012-03-07

In order to show you my hardware audio setup I made a quick mockup of the audiochain I use (pictures say more than 1000 words, sometimes).

This setup gives me the chance to use two different amps with one pair of front speakers by selecting the preamp source with a switch connected between preamps and the stereo poweramp.

XBMC settings:
Audio output: hdmi
Speakers configuration: 2.0
Downmix: disabled
Receiver supports AC3, DTS (LPCM, DTS-HD, TrueHD not supported by my ION motherboard)
Audio Output Device: iec958
Digital audio device for passthrough: hdmi

Basically this is what I used to use during the last couple of years. Audio signals of movies used to be passed through hdmi straight to the avr while music playback was handled by the SPDIF outlet.

Btw. could you please shed some light into what "Speakers configuration" and "Audio output" exactly does? I never understood these two settings correctly. Maybe it's just some kind of misconception in the user interface.

P.S. I can confirm Airplay/Airtunes is not working right now while it does on the master branch.

RE: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - Clumsy - 2012-03-22

Deleted some chatter posts in order to keeps things tidy here.

RE: - mightymouse2045 - 2012-03-23

(2012-03-07, 15:34)gnif Wrote: @einhänder - It is not designed to work this way at all, as far as AE is concerned, audio is audio weather it comes from dvdplayer or PAP, but if you can detail your audio settings I will see what can be done.

Re mute bug, no, none of that code has been touched, however the mute code needs to be cleaned up some and does some strange stuff still on occasion.

Hi Gnif,

These are some bugs I am experiencing with the AE build:

1. Still have to build AE with --disable-pulse option in order to get DTS/Dolby etc showing on the receiver. If built with pulse enabled, AE only uses the Pulse drivers and I get PCM only to the receiver.
Log file with pulse enabled

2. If built with --disable-pulse BUT without my patch, if HDMI is selected it doesn't matter what is entered into the audio custom device names it only attempts to init plug:hdmi which doesn't exist and I get no sounds at all. My custom device for both is hdmi:NVidia

3. If built with --disable-pulse AND with my patch, my custom device names work, but I cannot play DTS, DD, DTS-HD HRA, DTS-HD MA, & TrueHD encoded movies.
AAC & MP3 encoded audio works, and if I disable passthrough for the affected formats above then they also work but only PCM displays on the reciever of course.
Logfile - built with patch & pulse disabled