Kodi Community Forum
AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS (/showthread.php?tid=78289)

RE: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - gnif - 2012-04-24

@fincheresque - Yes, this is an issue I am looking into, I need to find a way to enumerate the device capabilities without opening it. You can find out what might be using the device by running "lsof -n | grep asound" (betting its PulseAudio)

Off topic, butMemphiz sounds correct, looks like your firewall is broken and should be clamping your MSS to your PMTU:
iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu

Reducing your MTU has the same effect, but the above is the more correct way to reduce it for an entire network

RE: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - einhänder - 2012-04-24

(2012-04-24, 11:03)Memphiz Wrote: guess activating debugging in XBMC system settings would do the trick aswell

I thought that too. But it did not work unfortunately.
I tried to remove the debug logging entry in advancedsettings in order to see if it interferes somehow, but it didn't help. So I went over to append the debug parameter to the bin.

RE: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - panic_cpu - 2012-04-26

Hello to all,
I've been trying to pass 2 channel audio (flac, wav) through my optical output to
my preamp. It seems to be always resampled (the xbmc gain is functioning which
is not the case when output is a multi channel stream. Is that possible or am I just wasting
my (your) time. Unfortunately I do not have an HDMI receiver to test on..........

P.S. hope I am not off topic........

RE: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - gnif - 2012-04-26

@panic_cpu, SPDIF doesnt support sample rates other then 44100hz, and 48000hz, and many AVRs dont support 44100hz, so we lock it to 48000hz.

RE: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - HeresJohnny - 2012-04-26

(2012-04-26, 20:43)gnif Wrote: @panic_cpu, SPDIF doesnt support sample rates other then 44100hz, and 48000hz, and many AVRs dont support 44100hz, so we lock it to 48000hz.

This means all CD red book and DTS gets re-sampled, or am I missing something?

RE: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - gnif - 2012-04-26

@HeresJohnny - yes your correct, there is nothing we can do about that, SPDIF has been deprecated by the industry for a reason, if you care for audio quality move to HDMI.

Those that have been having issues with their AVR locking onto DTS-HD MA streams, please give the latest version a go... we believe it is fixed now.

RE: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - HeresJohnny - 2012-04-26

@gnif
I understand what you're trying to do and I think it's basically a good thing to make software more compatible. However, I feel it goes a bit against the idea to provide a high quality audio engine and then introduce forced resampling. I'd suggest adding two different output devices, one called "LOCKED SPDIF" where resampling takes places and another simply "SPDIF" where all resolutions possible with this standard are allowed. If you add a checkbox for this, you'd use up space in the GUI which would only be needed for one of several possible output devices. Just my humble opinion, of course Smile

RE: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - panic_cpu - 2012-04-26

The following is the output of /proc/asound/card0/pcm1p/sub0/hw_params while playing a wav through spdif:
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
Does that mean that after been resampled to 48000 by the AudioEngine something is resampling it back to 44100!!!!!!
Corresponding tests with DTS and Dolby Digital show an output of 48000.

Sorry

RE: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - DDDamian - 2012-04-26

@HeresJohnny & panic_cpu - gnif and I spoke about this, and we'll add the option to not resample 44.1->48khz for spdif, but it will be off by default and have to be enabled via advancedsettings as it can cause issues with some receivers. It'll be in a future commit.

RE: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - panic_cpu - 2012-04-27

For some of us 2 channel playback is of far greater importance than multi channel and unfortunately
HDMI preamps are in the 4 digit value. Thanks and congrats for this amazing software without which
XBMC, as good as it is, cannot be considered complete.

RE: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - gnif - 2012-04-27

@panic_cpu - Hrmm, I may be making assumptions about the code that are inaccurate, haven't slept in 24 hours now Smile. It wont be re-sampling at all if its matched the source sample rate to the output sample rate. I will look into the logic a bit more later and check.

@HeresJohnny - We are looking at an advanced setting to disable this behaviour, but it is on by default so as to protect people's AVRs as we have seen 44.1khz cause AVRs to lockup and in one case the SPDIF interface died completely (yes, poor hardware).

RE: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - ix400 - 2012-04-27

Are all these new fixes already implemented in the nightly builds that can be downloaded from the xbmc main page?

Chris

RE: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - DDDamian - 2012-04-27

Not until the merge takes place. If review (underway) and testing/bug-fixing go well then we will make the May merge window, meaning nightlies will start to include it mid-May Smile

RE: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - PatrickBateman - 2012-04-27

(2012-04-27, 06:57)DDDamian Wrote: Not until the merge takes place. If review (underway) and testing/bug-fixing go well then we will make the May merge window, meaning nightlies will start to include it mid-May Smile

That's fantastic news!
Really fantastic development in here of late.

Thanks for the stop gap, and im eagerly looking forward to the main event.
Thanks guys!

Looking forward to testing the new nightly AE Builds Smile

Cheers,
Pat~

RE: AudioEngine branch - DO NOT REQUEST BINARY BUILDS - steelman1991 - 2012-04-27

+1 on that Patrick - congratulations and well done to all - in particular Gnif and DDDamian. Just tried the latest commit and everything is running very smoothly

Onkyo 805 +
ATI 5670

AV sync issues which I had previously on 24fps material appear all but gone and at last I can use my favourite app again.

With the Android app up and running beautifully with my Galaxy SII, everything is looking rosy Big Grin.