Kodi Community Forum
Jetway Mini-TOP HBJC600C99-52W-BW - New Ion 2, Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz barebone nettop - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Jetway Mini-TOP HBJC600C99-52W-BW - New Ion 2, Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz barebone nettop (/showthread.php?tid=78722)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

- Math87 - 2011-01-10

I am having problems getting my menu/navigation sounds to work. (online) media is playing just fine. I tried adding several things to my asound.conf (plughw0,7 etc) but it just does not seem to work. in soundmixer nothing is muted.

- ralph - 2011-01-10

Anyone doing fan control on this box?

Mine is turning its fans up and down all the time

- davemex - 2011-01-10

Flowah Wrote:How does the thing handle flash? Like youtube and hulu? I assume it should do okay, with a dual core, and isn't hardware acceleration for flash doable on the ION?

Well I can't answer from experience since most of my media is local and I haven't tried the Youtube plugin yet, but Flash does support hardware acceleration so it should run fine. Anyways, these things have beastly processors for what they are so I doubt you'd have any difficulties even without that.

- zener - 2011-01-10

Geeba Wrote:Thing that bothers me with all these small devices... where does the TV tuner card go Huh

In the server rack in the basementSmile

- fnc1 - 2011-01-11

davemex: i saw your links... and noticied you were running with an ssd, could you post the following.. from my previous post http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=686299&postcount=135

1) Does setting up the minimal install iso (from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD) partition the SSD optimally?
Could someone paste the following:
cat /etc/fstab (im specifically wondering 1) if it sets noatime. and 2) if it automatically sets up tempfs (/tmp) )

2) Also wondering about if it properly aligns the erase block size?
could you paste the output of fdisk -lu (i believe)

3) Basically I'm wondering if i should partition the drive first then run through the install

- speed32219 - 2011-01-11

davemex: My remote does not power on or wake from suspend. I use the one that came with the box. It is either a Bios thing or is a build error, it looks like the 5v 1A is not available on the usb ports after power off. This is usally a jumper on the MB in some of my other MB's.

Flowah: Handles flash Videos 720/1080p very well, but at a high CPU usage. The adobe flash is not really using the flash GPU acceleration yet within firefox. And adobe announced that they are dropping flash support for 64 bit OS's, and will only support 32 bit! 720p cpu's 60-70%, 1080p 80-90%. As I said, no problem with 720P but with my 6 MB down pipe, 1080p keeps buffering but no distortation to video, 1080p bandwidth hog.

fnc1: Most my boxes I use 8GB CF cards. Weh you isntall the minimal Maverick, manually setup your partitions. I set mine for root as 4 GB, swap as 1.5 GB and home as the rest. Most of the variable data or your data files will be located in the home directory within the .xbmc hidden folder. After all the crap I install (Firefox/Flash/htop/lshw/mdadm/lvm2/etc.) I still have 1.5 GB of root available. I would not exceed 6GB of root, waste of space. Also only resevere about 1% instead of the default 5% of file space when setting up your partitions. With ssd, you could use 0%.

Math87: run in terminal, aplay -l. Look for a line that has analogue and add the device and card number to your .asoundrc of .asound.conf file. Could also be a pulse issue but check your analogue entry in aplay. Also, if you go into alsamixer, hit F6 and scroll down to USB audio or card and highlight that entry, enter. Check those settings and turn them all on. XBMC Settings for Hdmi to TV, go to Settings > System > Audio Output: HDMI, Audio output device and Passthrough output device: HDA NVidia hdmi. turn off DD and DTS, unldess TV/Sys can handle it or you will get white noise.

ralph: I think I set mine to the lowest setting in the Bios. Not sure, but I did download the newer A03 AMI Bios from jetway as soon as I got her fired up, and I have not encountered any issues with full fan speed except when first powered on or reboot which is normal. It is setting right at about 2 feet from me now and I can not hear it, as I dick around with the Lirc remote configs, trying to get a std MCE to work with the included internal IR receiver. PIA

zener: Or a usb attached TV tuner. Smile

Disclamer: some of this info may be or may be not correct. Use caution.

- fnc1 - 2011-01-11

speed32219:

Cool I wasn't sure if with the minimal install would allow for firefox...
Do you have /tmpfs setup? to save your ssd a bit....I would suggest you look into it.

- nmirza - 2011-01-11

Hi, im wondering if anybody has managed to get this box running with an MCE remote or harmon remote, without learning the commands from initial remote. I think the IR receiver is non standard, so not sure if theres any way to load different drivers to be able to pick up an MCE remote (i have an HP extra MCE remote), or a harmony.

i tried searching in the harmony software and adding jetway but if i put in mini top or JC600...(the full model number), it either comes up with jetway black box, or some other model. has anybody gotten this to work, or knows of a way to get this to work?

- kratos - 2011-01-12

The Jetway nettop just dropped in price, and is also available in combination with an SSD from Newegg for < $300.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.587674

- akelley - 2011-01-12

kratos Wrote:The Jetway nettop just dropped in price, and is also available in combination with an SSD from Newegg for < $300.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.587674

Are A-Data SSDs reliable?

- Necochino - 2011-01-13

nmirza Wrote:Hi, im wondering if anybody has managed to get this box running with an MCE remote or harmon remote, without learning the commands from initial remote. I think the IR receiver is non standard, so not sure if theres any way to load different drivers to be able to pick up an MCE remote (i have an HP extra MCE remote), or a harmony.

i tried searching in the harmony software and adding jetway but if i put in mini top or JC600...(the full model number), it either comes up with jetway black box, or some other model. has anybody gotten this to work, or knows of a way to get this to work?

I've been using this box for a few months now, without any glitches. Running XBMC under Linux Mint. For my MCE remote and Harmony 650 remotes to work all I had to do was install LIRC. It is a great little machine, very quiet while sitting behind my TV. Hope this helps.

- davemex - 2011-01-13

Necochino Wrote:I've been using this box for a few months now, without any glitches. Running XBMC under Linux Mint. For my MCE remote and Harmony 650 remotes to work all I had to do was install LIRC. It is a great little machine, very quiet while sitting behind my TV. Hope this helps.
A couple questions based on that response...

First, is it safe to assume you're using these with an IR receiver other than the one included in the Jetway?

Second, if you are using them with the Jetway's IR receiver, how did you configure LIRC?

Lastly, were you ever able to get the system to turn on using the MCE/Harmony remotes or did you have to use a work around? If you did, how did you get it to work and if you had to use a work-around, what did you end up doing to get it to turn on via remotes other than the one included?

Sorry for all the questions, this remote issue is the last little kink I'm trying to work out of this HTPC (other than the fact that I can't get snes9x to pipe audio out via HDMI, but that's a whole different struggle!)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Also, Thanks to Speed3229 for continuing to answer all these questions too! Smile

- kratos - 2011-01-14

akelley Wrote:Are A-Data SSDs reliable?

If you set much store by newegg reviews, looks like it's a decent drive. I found in some of the positive comments that the memory controller is sub-par, but that read speeds (which are more important for XBMC performance) are just great.

Other negative reviews on Newegg regarding the drive were all answered by the manufacturer, so it would appear that they are willing to help you out if something were to go wrong.

Personally, I'm not super concerned with the reliability since I'm not storing anything "mission-critical" on it. If the drive does die within a year, I'd be a little disappointed, but I've got a spare laptop drive laying around anyway. This recent combo with the SSD just sweetened the pot a bit.

It's worth mentioning that I still haven't actually purchased it yet, but they are now making the deal a bit better with the addition of a $10 MIR. Maybe not worth the hassle, but it's better than what it was before.

I'm just holding off for the moment because of all the issues that some people are having with it. Otherwise, it looks to be a great deal.

Edit: I went ahead and pulled the trigger! I'll let everyone know how it goes.

- fnc1 - 2011-01-15

All,

I had a couple things i wanted to contribute this is mainly for those going the SSD route: (of course the scripts can be used by anyone)

1) In bios disable ERP, then enable wol enable ACHI

I've been reading a lot and as far as speed, and prolonging the life of the SSD here is what i did:

2) Align the EBS (I think im going to start using gpt, as everyone says fdisk is deprecated) This is how i did it for my box, if your using fdisk you can find directions all over the net. You have to use another boot disk or another linux box to do this
a) sudo gdisk /dev/sdX
b) o
c) p
d) n
e) 1
f) 2048
g) +26400M (or what ever size you want)
h) 0700
i) p
j) n
k) 2
l) <enter>
m) <enter>
n) 8200
o) p
p) w

This gave me
Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name
1 2048 54069247 25.8 GiB 0700 Linux/Windows data
2 54069248 62533262 4.0 GiB 8200 Linux swap

3) next you need to format these partitions
sudo mke2fs -L root -t ext4 -E stripe-width=128 /dev/sdb1
sudo mke2fs -L swap -t swap -E stripe-width=128 /dev/sdb2

4) Install from the bootable thumbdrive and select openssh
You will also need to do a manual partitioning (you have to set the 1st partition as / and the second as swap it will want to format swap that is fine, but leave the first partition alone)
*** HINT some people have issues with the boot loader installing on the thumbdrive instead of the SSD so after youve booted up and started the install pull the thumbdrive)

5) When its done it will reboot
you can use speed and joshs setup info and perform a lot more steps or copy and paste these into sh files and do it automatically (alternately you can put them on your thumbdrive and plug it back in)
once you have cut and pasted the two parts below
do
sudo chmod +x part1.sh
sudo chmod +x part2.sh

6) run the scripts
./part1.sh
this one will ask you about configuring something (do what you like i just pick no configuration, this is for the SMART stuff to email you i believe)

7) The machine will reboot when its done ssh back into the box and run
./part2.sh
This one will prompt you to unmute stuff simply press the M and the esc
then it will ask for the xbmc user password (pick your own)
then it will let you change runlevels and disable services (anyone have any suggestions for what to pick) or you can leave it default and exit by pressing q

When it reboots you should be looking at XBMC in nice 1080p with sound over hdmi

9) OK, lets get the latest Nvidia drivers now... (currently 260.19.36 (released 1/21/2011)
wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/260.19.36/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.36.run
sudo stop xbmc-live
sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.36.run
Accept
Yes
Yes
OK
Yes
OK
reboot
or sudo start xbmc-live

9) Lets edit a few more things now (for the sake of our SSD)....
sudo vim /etc/fstab
changed my root ext4 partition look like this
UUID=a8fb128e-86c2-4998-b4e8-46a107f6bb42 / ext4 errors=remount-ro,discard,defaults,noatime 0 1
added a tempfs (ramdisk) to the end of file add
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0

***NOTE
tmpfs is supported by the Linux kernel from version 2.4 and up.[3] tmpfs (previously known as shmfs) allocates memory dynamically and allows swapping out less-used pages to swap space. To prevent "out of memory" situations, tmpfs enforces a maximum filesystem size, this limit defaults to half of the available RAM.[4] The limit can be set at mount time, for example:
mount -t tmpfs -o size=1G,nr_inodes=10k,mode=0700 tmpfs /space
would mount with a 1 GiB limit with 10240 inodes and only accessible by the owner of /space. The filesystem's maximum size can also be changed on-the-fly, like "mount -o remount,size=2G /space". /var/run and /var/lock can be tmpfs filesystems, to alleviate having to clean them up at each reboot.
NOTE***

sudo vim /etc/sysctl.conf
add
vm.swappiness=1
to the bottom of the file

vim /etc/rc.local
add
echo noop > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
before
exit 0

if your running firefox
firefox puts its cache in your home partition. By moving this cache in RAM you can speed up Firefox and reduce disk writes. Complete the previous tweak to mount /tmp in RAM,

and you can put the cache there as well.

Open about:config in Firefox. Right click in an open area and create a new string value called browser.cache.disk.parent_directory. Set the value to /tmp.

Now you should be optimized for speed and longevity of your SSD

before anyone asks (not bad i think)
SSD ONYX (older one says 125 on the package)
sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads: 1932 MB in 2.00 seconds = 966.39 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 358 MB in 3.02 seconds = 118.69 MB/sec

Old 80gb hdd
sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads: 1920 MB in 2.00 seconds = 960.56 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 256 MB in 3.01 seconds = 84.92 MB/sec

For the scripts only paste what is BETWEEN the *'s (sorry i dont have anywhere to host them)

part1.sh
#!/bin/sh
sudo apt-get -y install python-software-properties pkg-config vim smartmontools gdisk
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc-svn/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tldm217/tahutek.net
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y install apt-fast
sudo apt-fast -y install xbmc xinit x11-xserver-utils nvidia-current sysv-rc-conf upower preload alsa-utils
wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/59511828/cgroup_patch
chmod +x cgroup_patch
sudo nvidia-xconfig -s --no-logo --force-generate --output-xconfig=/etc/X11/xorg.conf
echo 'options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xfff2' | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf
sudo reboot

part2.sh
#!/bin/sh
echo change all MM to 00 by pressing the M key then press esc
sudo alsamixer
sudo alsactl store 0
sudo adduser xbmc --gecos XBMC
sudo usermod --group audio,video,fuse,cdrom,plugdev xbmc
sudo apt-fast -y install xbmc-live
echo '[Actions for xbmc user]' | sudo tee -a /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla
echo 'Identity=unix-user:xbmc' | sudo tee -a /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla
echo 'Action=org.freedesktop.devicekit.upower.*;org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.*' | sudo tee -a /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla
echo 'ResultActive=yes' | sudo tee -a /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla
echo 'ResultAny=auth_admin' | sudo tee -a /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla
echo 'ResultInactive=yes' | sudo tee -a /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla
echo 'pcm.hdmi03 {' |sudo tee -a /home/xbmc/.asoundrc
echo ' type hw' |sudo tee -a /home/xbmc/.asoundrc
echo ' card 0' |sudo tee -a /home/xbmc/.asoundrc
echo ' device 3' |sudo tee -a /home/xbmc/.asoundrc
echo '}' |sudo tee -a /home/xbmc/.asoundrc
echo 'pcm.!default hdmi03' |sudo tee -a /home/xbmc/.asoundrc
echo If you want to delete services you dont do that next then press q to quit
sudo sysv-rc-conf
sudo reboot

NOW do you want native bluray supportHuh
OK then go here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=95425

I'll try and clean this up over time...

JOSH: you downlaoded and chmod +x cgroup_patch
but i didnt see you run it? (does a script run it? or did you just skip something?)...and what is it?

let me know if anyone finds any issues!

Update: in case anyone is interested Im now playing a full blueray iso...
top - 00:13:51 up 9 min, 1 user, load average: 0.47, 0.55, 0.34
Tasks: 131 total, 1 running, 128 sleeping, 0 stopped, 2 zombie
Cpu(s): 5.1%us, 2.1%sy, 0.0%ni, 91.8%id, 0.1%wa, 0.0%hi, 1.0%si, 0.0%st
Mem: 4059076k total, 3474260k used, 584816k free, 1172812k buffers
Swap: 4232000k total, 0k used, 4232000k free, 1379480k cached

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
1307 xbmc 20 0 738m 193m 53m S 27 4.9 2:30.67 xbmc.bin
1926 xbmc 20 0 706m 519m 6504 S 4 13.1 0:16.54 makemkvcon
654 root 20 0 0 0 0 S 2 0.0 0:06.07 hd-audio0
1601 root 20 0 18276 1296 704 S 2 0.0 0:06.26 mount.ntfs

- Necochino - 2011-01-15

My answers in your text below. Cheers.

davemex Wrote:A couple questions based on that response...

First, is it safe to assume you're using these with an IR receiver other than the one included in the Jetway? ***** Yes, I am. Mainly because the box is behind the tv. Frankly, i can't tell you if it would work otherwise. Sorry.

Second, if you are using them with the Jetway's IR receiver, how did you configure LIRC? ***** n/a

Lastly, were you ever able to get the system to turn on using the MCE/Harmony remotes or did you have to use a work around? If you did, how did you get it to work and if you had to use a work-around, what did you end up doing to get it to turn on via remotes other than the one included? ***** The system is always on. I have not even tried this.

Sorry for all the questions, this remote issue is the last little kink I'm trying to work out of this HTPC (other than the fact that I can't get snes9x to pipe audio out via HDMI, but that's a whole different struggle!)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Also, Thanks to Speed3229 for continuing to answer all these questions too! Smile