Kodi Community Forum
Jetway Mini-TOP HBJC600C99-52W-BW - New Ion 2, Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz barebone nettop - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Jetway Mini-TOP HBJC600C99-52W-BW - New Ion 2, Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz barebone nettop (/showthread.php?tid=78722)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

- akelley - 2011-01-18

Wow. I've reading along in this thread because I got the Jetway/Kingston SSD newegg combo and am looking for a LIVE distro to install. For all practical purposes I'm a noob when it comes to linux so I was hoping to find a "idiot proof" LIVE install that I can do on this Jetway. All those scripts that fnc1 posted above are required to get the Jetway to work properlyHuh Because that's way over my level. Beginning to think that XBMC Live is not in my cards at this time...

- davemex - 2011-01-18

Necochino Wrote:My answers in your text below. Cheers.
Thanks for the response! Since the box uses so little power it almost does make sense to leave it on all the time. I'll probably see if I can get a Harmony remote set up with the power command from the Jetway remote and everything else from the MCE remote.

In the meantime using a wake-on-lan app combined with the XBMC remote app on my phone has been a pretty good solution as well but it doesn't exactly do much good for my wife or house guests if the primary remote is my smartphone...

- davemex - 2011-01-18

akelley Wrote:Wow. I've reading along in this thread because I got the Jetway/Kingston SSD newegg combo and am looking for a LIVE distro to install. For all practical purposes I'm a noob when it comes to linux so I was hoping to find a "idiot proof" LIVE install that I can do on this Jetway. All those scripts that fnc1 posted above are required to get the Jetway to work properlyHuh Because that's way over my level. Beginning to think that XBMC Live is not in my cards at this time...

Don't let the tech-sounding lingo put you off of the system! I haven't tried fnc1's install workflow yet but if you follow josh4trunks/speed's step by step instructions, it should literally walk you through exactly what you need to type to get it working. If you can copy/paste, you should be fine. I am *not* a linux guru by any means and I was able to get it going with very little fuss.

- denizen - 2011-01-18

I've been playing around with my Jetway Mini-Top for several days now and decided to setup several partitions to try out different OS's with it. I have a win7 partition, linux mint partition,and a ubuntu mini (maverick) partition.

I have followed the 'step by step' (josh4trunks/speed) on the maverick mini partition, but it does not seem to work for me. It just brings me back to the command line on reboot. I've got several questions regarding the setup.

1) I noted that prior to setup, speed had recommended downloading both the ubuntu mini iso AND the nvidia driver. Am I wrong in thinking that the step by step automatically installs the latest nvidia driver?

2) Currently the latest nvidia driver (from 12/10) seems to be installed on my system...does the step by step specifically rely on the older driver that was mentioned at the start of the step by step (and could this be the reason that my install failed..)?

3) Is there anything different I would need to change in the step by step specifically because I would like to install it on a separate partition? I was hoping that when I chose to boot from the maverick mini partition, XBMC would start and all would be good.

A puzzling thing I noted when performing the step by step was that when I was trying to change the alsamixer settings, the only available output shown was spdif. Wondering if this has to with the driver questions above.

Sorry for the long winded questions...Thanks for any help that is offered.

Edit: Just answering some of my own questions after some research and tinkering (btw, thanks davemex and fnc1 for your replies below):

1) The step by step 'script' does indeed install the latest nvidia drivers, so a separate download of the driver file and its execution is not necessary.

2) The ability to run XBMC on the Jetway does not specifically rely on the older driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.12) to run and it works fine with the latest drivers.

3) The 'script'/step by step will work fine when installed on a separate partition. Like many others, the snafu for me occurred during installation of maverick mini on the section when installing grub to the system. The default drive chosen on this section is /dev/hda which in most cases is the USB Drive. As mentioned elsewhere, choose 'no' when it asks, and on the next screen, type in the drive and partition which you are installing XBMC on.

- davemex - 2011-01-19

denizen Wrote:I've been playing around with my Jetway Mini-Top for several days now and decided to setup several partitions to try out different OS's with it. I have a win7 partition, linux mint partition,and a ubuntu mini (maverick) partition.

I have followed the 'step by step' (josh4trunks/speed) on the maverick mini partition, but it does not seem to work for me. It just brings me back to the command line on reboot. I've got several questions regarding the setup.

1) I noted that prior to setup, speed had recommended downloading both the ubuntu mini iso AND the nvidia driver. Am I wrong in thinking that the step by step automatically installs the latest nvidia driver?

2) Currently the latest nvidia driver (from 12/10) seems to be installed on my system...does the step by step specifically rely on the older driver that was mentioned at the start of the step by step (and could this be the reason that my install failed..)?

3) Is there anything different I would need to change in the step by step specifically because I would like to install it on a separate partition? I was hoping that when I chose to boot from the maverick mini partition, XBMC would start and all would be good.

A puzzling thing I noted when performing the step by step was that when I was trying to change the alsamixer settings, the only available output shown was spdif. Wondering if this has to with the driver questions above.

Sorry for the long winded questions...Thanks for any help that is offered.

To the best of my knowledge, the partitioning shouldn't impact the installation at all. Once you select the Maverick partition, it should work just like any other OS. You do get a Linux login prompt, right? You might want to check your system log to see if it tried to start up but pulls an error.

As for the Nvidia drivers, this is what could be causing an issue (I don't think that installing them was specifically listed out in josh4trunk's installation process). After logging in, you should type:

wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/260.19.12/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.12.run

That will save the Nvidia drivers to your /home/[user name]/ folder. Next you need to type "sudo chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.12.run" to enable file execution. Finally type "./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.12.run" to run the install file and follow the prompts.

That piece of the installation probably should have been done before all the XBMC installation but I'm not 100% sure how much impact that has.

Hope this helps some, like I said earlier I'm not a Linux pro but I can stumble my way through it!

- mas956 - 2011-01-19

I, too, have been struggling to get xbmc running with the maverick mini iso. After install/reboot I get "Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode." Once I escape out of that (none of the 5 options to "fix" this problem does anything) and get back to the command line, I am able to get to the desktop with the "startx" command.

If I open a terminal window from gdm and type 'xbmc' the app launches and all is good.

The only issue is the gray bar at the top of the screen which I assume is there because I launched xbmc from within a terminal window, right?

- fnc1 - 2011-01-20

dont forget you have to stop x before you can install the nvidia driver...
sudo stop xbmc-live

that should do it...

but try my scripts on the previous page if your really having issues...

- kratos - 2011-01-21

I kinda feel like an idiot, but I'm trying to follow the Josh4trunks/Speedway installation instructions, but Ubuntu keeps installing itself on the flash drive instead of the internal SSD. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I'm using the new Jetway Mini-top.

Edit: Everything working now...now to change some skins and change the mappings on the MCE remote....anyone know where skins are stored?

- josh4trunks - 2011-01-21

R u using a minimal install?
If so when you are on the partitioning part do manual partitioning.

Delete every partition in your harddrive. (Not your usb drive!)
Create a partition (ext4, /) on your harddrive.
(optional) Create a swap (I actually don't recommend it)
(optional) Create a /home partition (don't recommend unless you know why)

So basically I recommend one partition only using the entire harddrive
ext4, and mount point /
It will warn you about not having a swap, but as long as you have 1GB of ram just ignore it.

- davemex - 2011-01-21

kratos Wrote:I kinda feel like an idiot, but I'm trying to follow the Josh4trunks/Speedway installation instructions, but Ubuntu keeps installing itself on the flash drive instead of the internal SSD. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I'm using the new Jetway Mini-top.

Edit: Everything working now...now to change some skins and change the mappings on the MCE remote....anyone know where skins are stored?

You know I also had a very weird issue where Linux would install itself onto the hard drive fine but then install the boot loader to the USB drive. I installed it 3 times before I finally had to rip out the thumbdrive right before the GRUB installation process. I did that the last time and voila! it worked. So weird...

- josh4trunks - 2011-01-21

davemex Wrote:You know I also had a very weird issue where Linux would install itself onto the hard drive fine but then install the boot loader to the USB drive. I installed it 3 times before I finally had to rip out the thumbdrive right before the GRUB installation process. I did that the last time and voila! it worked. So weird...

Please don't do this lol. When it asks for where to put the grub install just chose the right drive. It asks you!

If you accidently installed grub in the wrong place you can easily add grub after, takes about 30 mins (or 5mins if you already have a regular ubuntu livecd). Just ask me if you installed ubuntu correctly but messed up where grub went, no need to do the full reinstall.

- davemex - 2011-01-21

fnc1 Wrote:davemex: i saw your links... and noticied you were running with an ssd, could you post the following.. from my previous post http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=686299&postcount=135

1) Does setting up the minimal install iso (from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD) partition the SSD optimally?
Could someone paste the following:
cat /etc/fstab (im specifically wondering 1) if it sets noatime. and 2) if it automatically sets up tempfs (/tmp) )

2) Also wondering about if it properly aligns the erase block size?
could you paste the output of fdisk -lu (i believe)

3) Basically I'm wondering if i should partition the drive first then run through the install

Hey man I just realized I missed that question back there. Sorry for missing it. It looks like you've already figured out the answer: that the manual setup is probably the best route. This is my first time using an SSD so I wish I had known what to do to optimize it using the steps you listed out but unfortunately I'd have to start over now to reconfigure the drive and you know the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

- davemex - 2011-01-21

josh4trunks Wrote:Please don't do this lol. When it asks for where to put the grub install just chose the right drive. It asks you!

If you accidently installed grub in the wrong place you can easily add grub after, takes about 30 mins (or 5mins if you already have a regular ubuntu livecd). Just ask me if you installed ubuntu correctly but messed up where grub went, no need to do the full reinstall.

Hah, it was mostly out of frustration for not really knowing what to do. It didn't even give me the option or I would have chosen the drive I was installing it on. The SSD was sdb and the boot drive was sda. Every single time it just installed GRUB on sda without asking. I honestly had no clue how to install it manually but I guess moving forward I know it's a possibility Big Grin

- AndWho - 2011-01-22

Hi,
Strange phenomena on My zbox hd-id40, Audio settings affects Video playback frame rate.

I have Ubuntu 10.10 amd64 server as the base installation, added Nvidia 260 as per posts in this thread. Then I copy&pasted the "part1.sh2 and "part2.sh2 scripts and ran them.
I added lirc and my HP MCE remote works fine. I have 1080p playback if I do NOT use Nvida HDMI audio.... If I select "hdmi" or "Nvidia HDMI" device in XBMC I get extremely low frame rate om 1080p.... Weird.
What to do ? Besides reverting to a Win7 installation....
/A

- NuSkooler - 2011-01-23

I've been wanting to acquire/build a ION XBMC box for quite some time. Just built a new home theater system and now need a sexy box to top it off!

After reading through this thread, I think the Jetway may fit the bill. A couple questions before I go and make the purchase:

1. Is it better to use the mini Ubuntu ISO, something such as OpenELEC, or Windows 7 for the underlying OS if I wish to have 1080p audio/video through HDMI?
  2. Are these devices able to send pure bitstream audio and 24fps video wihtout issue? It seems so, would like to confirm.

Lastly, here is the hardware lineup I'm thinking of. Would love comments, or money savings! Smile

My main concern is the 32G SSD. Seems plenty, but perhaps it's worth going larger for something I'm not thinking about? I will be streaming from SMB shares over gigabit LAN.

Thanks for your time!