Kodi Community Forum
Jetway Mini-TOP HBJC600C99-52W-BW - New Ion 2, Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz barebone nettop - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Jetway Mini-TOP HBJC600C99-52W-BW - New Ion 2, Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz barebone nettop (/showthread.php?tid=78722)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

- javaman - 2011-01-23

Installing mini.iso from the USB did not work for me the first time (in the process of doing the install again). After the installation was complete. I rebooted only to get a black screen (with blinking cursor). I then tried to put in the USB and restart the install. That too went to this black screen. I redid the ISO onto the USB drive and am trying it again.

This is what I have:
4G USB Stick on sba
500G WD HD on sdb

Booted USB and picked Install from the menu.
English, United States, No to detect kb layout,USA,USA
xbmcjetway for hostname,United States,didn't change archive mirror,left prox blank,picked timezone for me - Yes.

picked manual partitioning and when I selected my only partitions, pick the option to delete them (on sdb)

then selected sdb pri/log partition and then selected 'Create a new partition'. defaulted to full size 500.1 GB, picked primary,left default on next screen (ext4 journaling file system...), then Done setting up the partition. Picked Finish partitioning and write changes to disk,no for swap space question, Yes to write changes.

Then entered user info, no to encrypt dir

No automatic updates.

Which option do I pick for SSH? A list with a bunch of software came up. I only picked the one option with SSH.
(I chose OpenSSH Server)

Configuring grub-pc - Install the GRUB boot loader to the master boot record? (Yes) (No) - I chose yes and noticed it doing it to sda

This makes for my third time through this process and I see no options in the install to 'just configure how grub goes', so I have no choice but to re-install. (I dont remember the command line, etc for setting up grub)

I am guessing the fact that this last question to setup grub on the MBR isn't too clear. My mistake in assuming it would pick the correct drive (the one I installed to).

- javaman - 2011-01-23

OK, im at the next go-around. This time I answered "no" to install grub on MBR. Now I get a screen to pick the HD for GRUB.

I can hit alt-f2 and go another shell to look around and whatnot, but I know what needs to go here -> /dev/sdb1

This needs to be one of them starred bullet points in the howto. Maybe I'll make a step-by-step later to save some time for the next guy.

Woohoo, got a prompt, but dem is some tiny ass letters.

- Ggroch - 2011-01-23

javaman Wrote:OK, im at the next go-around. This time I answered "no" to install grub on MBR. Now I get a screen to pick the HD for GRUB.......This needs to be one of them starred bullet points in the howto. Maybe I'll make a step-by-step later to save some time for the next guy.

I did the same thing...with the same blinking cursor result twice...then gave up and loaded Windows7.

The hard work has been done (sincere thanks to those who did it)...but the instructions are not clear to a relative nube. (I have messed with computers for 25 years...but only installed linux in 3 or 4 machines).

A step by step, including what to do with the Nvidia driver to install it, would be a tremendous help.

I will try again...but this has become an important thread with all the atom nettops being sold so I am sure that you and I are not the only frustrated souls.

- fnc1 - 2011-01-23

@NuSkooler: exactly the hardware i have

@javaman: most likely /dev/sdb, if after your thumbdrive/iso booted if you would have pulled the thumbdrive, it would have only found the harddrive, and would then have installed the boot to the proper place.

@Ggrouch: let me know what in here is unclear and I will update it... it really does make the install a no brainer http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=691243&postcount=149

NEW Nvidia drivers out yesterday 260.19.36 see step 9 here if you want to update http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=691243&postcount=149

- josh4trunks - 2011-01-23

Heres everything you need after you have a working minimal install (with working grub). Weird people like my sister have been working in IT for 10years and I have been using linux for a year and a half and I feel like I'm more experienced in computing. I guess I have been very active in it and in a way linux is much simplier to learn (while in other ways it's not)

I basically edited some stuff to the reflect the times (Dharma out). I also took out the wifi stuff out. Feel free to check my earlier post and add it it if you guys want (I just can't use my box if 25mb/s video has to buffer over wifi)
I also added the steps to get remote 95% working (None of this is my work, just google "hid-aureal" if you wanna credit the guy who wrote the module. Theres also a way to patch your current kernel but I felt this way was simplier for now.)

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tldm217/tahutek.net
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install apt-fast
sudo apt-fast install xbmc xinit x11-xserver-utils nvidia-current sysv-rc-conf upower alsa-utils git

sudo sysv-rc-conf #delete startup services you don't need
wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/59511828/cgroup_patch
chmod +x cgroup_patch
sudo ./cgroup_patch
sudo nvidia-xconfig -s --no-logo --force-generate --output-xconfig=/etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf
------------------------
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xfff2
------------------------
sudo reboot

sudo alsamixer     #change all m's to 00's
sudo alsactl store 0
sudo adduser xbmc --gecos XBMC
sudo usermod --group audio,video,fuse,cdrom,plugdev xbmc
sudo apt-fast install xbmc-live

aplay -l  #find card and device number
sudo nano /home/xbmc/.asoundrc # change card/device number
    device 3
}
pcm.!default hdmi03

git clone git://gitorious.org/hid-aureal-kernel-module/hid-aureal-kernel-module.git
cd hid*
make
sudo make install
sudo nano /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
-------------------
hid-aureal
usbhid
-------------------

sudo update-initramfs -k all -u
sudo nano /etc/acpi/events/powerbtn #the next few step makes the remote suspend from the power button not just shutdown
-------------------
change -> action=/etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh
to -> action=/usr/sbin/pm-suspend
-------------------

sudo su # next few steps are to allow suspending
nano /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla
ResultActive=yes
ResultAny=auth_admin
ResultInactive=yes

sudo reboot

I also got wiimote working well (32 bit only...) but thought it's not generic enough to add here. So here's your guide Groch =]

- javaman - 2011-01-23

Great help from all contributors! Thanks!

In my defense, I have actually written Linux drivers in my younger years, so I am not a complete noob. Pulling the thumb drive is a good idea, albeit not an intuitive one though. Plus the first question about MBR does not say which harddrive.

Anyway FYI (to noobs and old people like myself)

During mini.iso install, take these gotchas into consideration (defaults should be fine for all else):

(1) Pick openSSH server only from package list
(2) Partition whole HD manually onto one partition (no need for swap, etc)
(3) On the last question about MBR, pick no and put in the device for your harddrive (or pull the thumb drive earlier)

- javaman - 2011-01-24

having to do the install again. Another caveat: don't use xbmc as username during ubuntu install. Does anyone know the default ubuntu password for root?

- javaman - 2011-01-24

fnc1 Wrote:echo '[Actions for xbmc user]' | sudo tee -a /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/nano custom-actions.pkla

Is that 'nano' supposed to be in there? (next few lines as well)

- javaman - 2011-01-24

josh4trunks Wrote:git clone git://gitorious.org/hid-aureal-kernel-module/hid-aureal-kernel-module.git

Do you need apt-get git in there?

- fnc1 - 2011-01-24

javaman Wrote:Is that 'nano' supposed to be in there? (next few lines as well)

sorry about that yes remove nano, (if you already ran it just cd to that directory and type 'sudo mv nano to custom-actions.pkla')
or recopy scripts i fixed it in the original post.

also there is no root password, you have to
sudo su
to get to root, then set a password if you want one...
passwd
should do it

- javaman - 2011-01-24

The problem is that when I setup ubuntu from the getgo, I used xbmc for the user name there (I suspect others will do this as well).

You may want to change the line:
sudo usermod --group audio,video,fuse,cdrom,plugdev xbmc
to include the admin group:
sudo usermod --group admin,audio,video,fuse,cdrom,plugdev xbmc

I was able to recover from this by mounting the partition manually from the install (mount /mnt /dev/sdb1) once I got to a point in the install right before partitioning the harddisk.

I editted /etc/group and added xbmc to the admin group

- javaman - 2011-01-24

I am going to call it a night now. Just got back from walgreens (they had an HDMI cable for $20 - cheaper than BB for $30). Got one on the way from newegg for $6. These retail jerks like to stick it to ya on cables. So far everything seems fine except for two things:

(1) Josh When I press the power button (which activates suspend), the unit seems to suspend, except I can't get it to wake back up. Tried the power button and several other buttons on the remote. I switched the script back to power. Takes longer, but at least I dont have to get my lazy arse out of bed.

(2) FF and rewind dont work. When I get to FF or Rewind 8x, it resets my movie to the beginning. My old xbox did not do this. My movies are all ISOs I run from a NAS share. Also when FF, then hit play, it just pauses, hitting it again does not resume it. (I can hit OK, then use the nav bar to resume it)

- jmcgee_jr - 2011-01-24

javaman Wrote:I am going to call it a night now. Just got back from walgreens (they had an HDMI cable for $20 - cheaper than BB for $30). Got one on the way from newegg for $6. These retail jerks like to stick it to ya on cables. So far everything seems fine except for two things:

(1) Josh When I press the power button (which activates suspend), the unit seems to suspend, except I can't get it to wake back up. Tried the power button and several other buttons on the remote. I switched the script back to power. Takes longer, but at least I dont have to get my lazy arse out of bed.

(2) FF and rewind dont work. When I get to FF or Rewind 8x, it resets my movie to the beginning. My old xbox did not do this. My movies are all ISOs I run from a NAS share. Also when FF, then hit play, it just pauses, hitting it again does not resume it. (I can hit OK, then use the nav bar to resume it)

I am going to make a post about this but FYI I just got this myself and here is what the company wrote to me about that.

Dear sir :

I am sorry , Our JC600C99-52W-BW didn't support wake up from USB .

Best regards
From JETWAY FAE support team

- javaman - 2011-01-24

USB? I am actually using the delivered remote, not USB. Did they confuse the issue? Or are you using a different remote? The delivered remote supports powering on from a dead shutdown. Or is the delivered remote USB internally?

- xman10 - 2011-01-24

Hello All,

Thanks for this wonderful thread and it is very helpful. I was un-registered user of this forum for a while now. This is my first post.

I have Jetway mini-top with 64G SSD and 4G of ram running XBMC. I got it up and running and no complain about it. However, with the recent development of XBMC on ATV2, i am wondering what the difference between the jetway based xbmc and atv2/1 based xbmc?
Jetway is about $300 and ATV come to about $100. This save about $200 which can be used for other xbmc setup for other TVs. I am thinking about RMA the JEtway and get ATV2 or if ATV1 is better for watching Blu-Ray files/movies.
Please suggest me with my decision.
Thanks a lot in Advance.