Kodi Community Forum
Jetway Mini-TOP HBJC600C99-52W-BW - New Ion 2, Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz barebone nettop - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Jetway Mini-TOP HBJC600C99-52W-BW - New Ion 2, Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz barebone nettop (/showthread.php?tid=78722)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

- davemex - 2011-01-24

xman10 Wrote:Hello All,

Thanks for this wonderful thread and it is very helpful. I was un-registered user of this forum for a while now. This is my first post.

I have Jetway mini-top with 64G SSD and 4G of ram running XBMC. I got it up and running and no complain about it. However, with the recent development of XBMC on ATV2, i am wondering what the difference between the jetway based xbmc and atv2/1 based xbmc?
Jetway is about $300 and ATV come to about $100. This save about $200 which can be used for other xbmc setup for other TVs. I am thinking about RMA the JEtway and get ATV2 or if ATV1 is better for watching Blu-Ray files/movies.
Please suggest me with my decision.
Thanks a lot in Advance.

I think that the ATV2 does look like a great economical solution for adding streamer boxes around the house, but for the TV I watch my movies on I still have concerns about it's ability to pump out smooth 1080p graphics. From what I read the device was pushed to it's limits when trying to stream 1080p and struggled at times with some stuttering. Now, is it worth paying 3X the price just to make sure that 10 second action-intensive scene is rendered smoothly? Maybe not. Is it worth paying 3X the price because you love building sweet computers that are an overkill for what you're trying to do and guarantee at least some level of future-proofing? For me the answer is a resounding YES Big Grin

Your mileage may vary...

- javaman - 2011-01-24

There is also something to be said for doing this on a box where it is meant to be done rather than using an esoteric hack. But then again my xbox1 boxes have been the best for quite a few years now and these new HTPC boxes seem to have more annoyances.

- josh4trunks - 2011-01-24

Sorry about the mistakes, yeah you gotta add git when your installing everything. Not sure if the nano thing was my mistake. (I'll revise this all again once I get the remote fully working)

For the remote I have pause/play not working but fastforward seems to work.I might need to look into how to change usbhid stuff to get the remote fully functional. (But I use my wiimote/android phone so might not work on this till I got alot of time...)

- josh4trunks - 2011-01-24

javaman Wrote:There is also something to be said for doing this on a box where it is meant to be done rather than using an esoteric hack. But then again my xbox1 boxes have been the best for quite a few years now and these new HTPC boxes seem to have more annoyances.

I like these nettops just cause using a complete linux build is simplier for me then using the xbox system. I hacked an old xbox and they work great but you just cannot beat the freedom/performance of these nettops.

- denizen - 2011-01-24

xman10 Wrote:Hello All,

Thanks for this wonderful thread and it is very helpful. I was un-registered user of this forum for a while now. This is my first post.

I have Jetway mini-top with 64G SSD and 4G of ram running XBMC. I got it up and running and no complain about it. However, with the recent development of XBMC on ATV2, i am wondering what the difference between the jetway based xbmc and atv2/1 based xbmc?
Jetway is about $300 and ATV come to about $100. This save about $200 which can be used for other xbmc setup for other TVs. I am thinking about RMA the JEtway and get ATV2 or if ATV1 is better for watching Blu-Ray files/movies.
Please suggest me with my decision.
Thanks a lot in Advance.

I have both the ATV2 and now 2 ion nettops and so far, the experiences can't compare. On the ATV2 there is noticeable choppiness when navigating around the XBMC menus. That is not so much of a dealbreaker for me, but also, (unless I have missed some option) the ATV2 is limited to stereo output (obviously not a problem if you are only using a 2 speaker setup). I have also tried 2 separate 1080p mkvs, and with both of them, I have experienced pauses on the ATV2 while its buffering.

The ion nettops on the other hand have played everything flawlessly using the same wired connection to my UnRAID server. Plus, I agree, its fun to tinker around on them.Laugh

Bottom line...If you only have 720p rips on a stereo setup, XBMC on ATV2 may be a viable option. Otherwise, I wouldn't RMA the Jetway just yet.

I have no experience with ATV1 and XBMC, so I can't comment on how well it may work for you.

javaman/davemex: I too made the mistake of installing grub to the USB drive instead of the XBMC partition (the reason for not being able to boot into XBMC on my previous post), so I am glad that you made mention of this for others who are new to ubuntu and linux in general.

josh4trunks: fnc1 had asked about running the cgroup patch. I didn't see a reply and I didn't see any commands within the 'script' to do so. After some research, I ended up running it with:
Code:
sudo ./cgroup_patch
Did I need to do this, or is it somehow applied with the 'script'? For those who are interested, here is a link about the cgroup_patch:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2637_video&num=1

- xman10 - 2011-01-24

Thanks Davemex and Denizen for your thoughts. As of now i am connecting to the my TV for audio as well via HDMI. I thought we can get 5.1 over the opti link to the AV receiver. I may be wrong in that.
when i ordered the jerway, i ordered this config thinking of future updates/features. Now i am thinking it back by the time there may be another technology out, there may be different h/w device for less money to do more work. Another problem is the remote it came Jetway is not wife friendly. Hope this will not the same in ATV2. Let me sleep with this thought and will go from there.
Thanks again for all your help.

- gshkolnik - 2011-01-25

Hi, I've setup XBMC with Win7. It works great, except for one problem. When I shut down Windows, I can't start my Mini-top anymore. When I press the power button on the box or on the remote control, the power button light turns green, but nothing happens. The fan doesn't spin up, no beeping sounds, nothing. If I remove the power cord from the box and insert it back in, the power button on the box and on the remote start working again: I can turn on the Mini-top no problem. Is there a BIOS setting that I need to change? Could somebody with a similar setup please comment on whether they have (or don't have) the same problem? Thank you!

Heres a good review of the jetway rig - tvwatcher - 2011-01-26

http://www.guru3d.com/article/jetway-minitop-review/1

- josh4trunks - 2011-01-26

javaman Wrote:I am going to call it a night now. Just got back from walgreens (they had an HDMI cable for $20 - cheaper than BB for $30). Got one on the way from newegg for $6. These retail jerks like to stick it to ya on cables. So far everything seems fine except for two things:

(1) Josh When I press the power button (which activates suspend), the unit seems to suspend, except I can't get it to wake back up. Tried the power button and several other buttons on the remote. I switched the script back to power. Takes longer, but at least I dont have to get my lazy arse out of bed.

(2) FF and rewind dont work. When I get to FF or Rewind 8x, it resets my movie to the beginning. My old xbox did not do this. My movies are all ISOs I run from a NAS share. Also when FF, then hit play, it just pauses, hitting it again does not resume it. (I can hit OK, then use the nav bar to resume it)

1 I was messing around and found that you need S3 (not S1) enabled in the bios for suspend to work. It was frustrating till I remembered I changed it

- jmcgee_jr - 2011-01-27

josh4trunks Wrote:1 I was messing around and found that you need S3 (not S1) enabled in the bios for suspend to work. It was frustrating till I remembered I changed it

Yes but you still cannot wake it from any other device other than the remote control or power button.

- josh4trunks - 2011-01-27

jmcgee_jr Wrote:Yes but you still cannot wake it from any other device other than the remote control or power button.

Android/iPod touch works too / wol stuff (gotta enable in bios and be on lan)

Bluetooth wont work in S3. Sucks USB stuff wont work (I couldn t find anything in the bios)

I usually use my android phone. or press the power button...

fnc1 Wrote:Greetings all,

I have one of these boxes in route, along with 4gb ram and 32gb SSD...

I have a couple questions (the last time i installed xbmc was on the original XBOX) so yeah its been a while, I have a pretty large media library. which i server up over nfs from my 10tb raid...

My questions are probably for speed and josh.. or anyone running ubuntu 10.10 with an SSD..

1) Does setting up the minimal install iso (from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD) partition the SSD optimally?
Could someone paste the following:
cat /etc/fstab (im specifically wondering 1) if it sets noatime. and 2) if it automatically sets up tempfs (/tmp) )

2) Also wondering about if it properly aligns the erase block size?
could you paste the output of fdisk -lu (i believe)

3) Basically I'm wondering if i should partition the drive first then run through the install

4) Also im wondering with these ubuntu minimal installs are you able to run firefox?

5) does anyone happen to run mythfrontend with XBMC on one of these? if so what OS are you using.

6) My last question would be about blu-ray i started ripping those to ISO but have yet to play back one over the network.. (i can stream them if i just copy the disk so i can see the menu structure, but my goal is to have everything play from ISO like my DVDs) I am currently using a popcorn hour a110 so this box is replacing that - the sigma stuff looks really interesting. (if anyone happens to have one, there is a guy on networkedmedatank that has one running xbmc, but he hasnt released any real useful info to the public yet)

Wow sorry for such a late post, just started noticing alot of people were asking questions on here I could help with.

No minimal install DOES NOT optimally align the partition. Also you need to put the discard option on any ext4 partitions in your /etc/fstab file in order to enable trim. Here's a guide I made for the asus 1015pem where I have an intel SSD. If you follow the partitioning step and the /etc/fstab file your golden.

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=89922

Post if you have questions

BTW I stopped adding the 200 line patch cause I'm not even sure if it helps. I believe it only help when you are running multiple programs from a command line... Not too sure. But either way by ubuntu 11.04 they are using kernel 2.6.38 (and the patch was added to the kernel in either 2.6.37 or 2.6.38). Which means soon we wont need to worry about it.

I also might try openelec, just hate that the filesystem is mostly read only so not too many customizations. Gonna post on their thread and see if I can get what I want into the OS. (ffmpeg - mythbox , and xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote)

- NuSkooler - 2011-01-27

Got my hardware last night and have it up and running now. Already loving this thing!

Here's what I did:
  • Booted on a gparted live CD and set the entire SSD as EXT3 (As per OpenELEC)
  • Booted up and quick installed the latest OpenELEC
  • I was getting the "could not open framebuffer: no such file or directory" error at boot, so I SSH'd in and 'mount -o remount,rw /flash' then modified /flash/extlinux.conf adding vga=792 as per these instructions
  • Created a asound.conf (below) then set my XBMC settings for custom 'plughw:0,7'

asound.conf:
Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "plughw:0,7"
}
}

pcm.hdmi07 {
type plughw
card 0
device 7
}

Everything is now working perfectly (1080p HDMI A/V including DTS, etc.) minus the remote that shipped with the device. I'll look at that later tonight or this week. I'd like to replace all my remotes with a Harmony soon, so I'm not too concerned. Also, I'm using the official XBMC remote from my Android and it works perfectly. Oh, and it's super quiet after boot!

If anyone has tips or a script I can cut/paste (!!) for the remote I'd love to hear about it! Smile

NuSkooler Wrote:Got my hardware last night and have it up and running now. Already loving this thing!

Here's what I did:
  • Booted on a gparted live CD and set the entire SSD as EXT3 (As per OpenELEC)
  • Booted up and quick installed the latest OpenELEC
  • I was getting the "could not open framebuffer: no such file or directory" error at boot, so I SSH'd in and 'mount -o remount,rw /flash' then modified /flash/extlinux.conf adding vga=792 as per these instructions
  • Created a asound.conf (below) then set my XBMC settings for custom 'plughw:0,7'

asound.conf:
Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "plughw:0,7"
}
}

pcm.hdmi07 {
type plughw
card 0
device 7
}

Everything is now working perfectly (1080p HDMI A/V including DTS, etc.) minus the remote that shipped with the device. I'll look at that later tonight or this week. I'd like to replace all my remotes with a Harmony soon, so I'm not too concerned. Also, I'm using the official XBMC remote from my Android and it works perfectly. Oh, and it's super quiet after boot!

If anyone has tips or a script I can cut/paste (!!) for the remote I'd love to hear about it! Smile

Unfortuntly openelec had the remote working then it stopped (I believe I read that on their forum). I also raead they are working on it. If it was almost any other linux distrobution you could just do a few steps and it'd be working but OpenElec's filesystem is read only and the user can't make large changes...
they should have it working soon though if I read correcly (they just need to patch their kernel)