Kodi Community Forum
Jetway Mini-TOP HBJC600C99-52W-BW - New Ion 2, Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz barebone nettop - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Jetway Mini-TOP HBJC600C99-52W-BW - New Ion 2, Intel Atom D525 1.8GHz barebone nettop (/showthread.php?tid=78722)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

- Geeba - 2010-08-18

After installing 64bit OS the disk performance went up to 7.4 so pretty pleased with that.

First impressions...

I installed XBMC nightly on the Jetway last night... I dont have a huge amount of HD content as I'm still primarily an Xbox user - but the content I do have which was not possible on xbox played with ease... 1280 x 720 4.5Gb rip of Dexter episode barely hit the cpu... roughly 9% from memory so all good there and the one 1080p rip I have was hitting at about 12% load - so I dont see that there will be any problems with HD - but I'd like to get my hands on the "killa sample" if its still around or any other high bit rate content people could recommend to give it a work out.

The Jetway... hmmmm tough one... was it worth £180+VAT... maybe... not the best quality I've seen... the SSD was the BEST money I have spent on an upgrade in a LONG time thou! it makes my Quad core/Velociraptor/SLi games rig seem sluggish! I can only describe it as - bang, bang, bang! - click any app in windows - bang its open... fire through fan art etc on xbmc - bang its there! It will make buying mechanical drive a real drag now... but my wallet would argue otherwise Sad

One thing that is dire with the Jetway... the remote... its pretty rubbish to be honest... so that is my next mission - so if anyone has a remote suggestion it would be appreciated! Big Grin That will be the deciding factor really... a decent remote and not having to jump through hoops to get audio to my amp both of which on the Xbox my Mrs could setup!

- jwoolen - 2010-08-18

How much noise does it make?

- Geeba - 2010-08-18

jwoolen Wrote:How much noise does it make?

Its barely audible to be honest.... you get the initial burst of fan when the BIOS boots - but after that installing Win7, performance testing it and playing HD the fan is sometimes off completely... I will VESA mount it behind my TV so definitely wont hear it.... noise levels in general thou..... very low.

- jwoolen - 2010-08-18

Thanks for that info. Looks like I'm about to give this system a try.

- partimers - 2010-08-18

Thanks for the pics and all info provided.

What about the remote? Is it possible to power-on the machine with it? Or at least resume it from suspend?

Anybody knowing what kind of remote/receiver is that (a.k.a. would it work with LIRC?)

- Geeba - 2010-08-18

The remote leaves a little bit to be desired XBMC wise... the pad works as a mouse so its fine with windows etc. I wont be using it to be honest... the VESA kit is handy... just in the process of putting mine on the back of the TV.

- Geeba - 2010-08-19

Right first problem..... this is where I usually get the hump... the htpc goes on ebay as did the last attempts and the xbox gets a dust out and fired back up!

ION..... do I load the drivers for audio off the nvidia site?.... the jetway had SPDIF on it which I was hoping to squirt audio straight to my amp... but it only seems to be analog... I cant use HDMI audio as my TV resolutios are laim with HDMI for some reason so I use VGA... all the drivers do that come with it is install some USB audio driver Huh

- Anastrophe - 2010-08-19

what platform/version/build of xbmc are you running?

- Geeba - 2010-08-19

currently on the stable camelot release... tried nightly builds from the 17th & 18th of this month to - I backed off to camelot as I was having some problems with the nightly's and SMB back to my Home Server Huh buy 1 step at a time I guess... I've logged a ticket with Jetway... personally I think the Jetway Nettop needs the Realtek HD audio drivers to function correctly... they said they will get back to me ASAP.

Also pointed them in the direction of XBMC so they could see what I'm trying to do... and maybe they can hone their product round this a bit more! It makes their bundled software look like I wrote it! And I'm a network engineer!! LOL!

- sebj - 2010-08-20

Thanks for sharing, your experiences with the machine.

Been hovering over "add to cart" on this box for at least a week now.

Knowing the thing isn't loud (SSD might help keep temps down), I guess if this machine can wake from the remote I'm buying it.

Care to try a bleeding edge xbmcfreak ion live cd on it to see if it wakes, sleeps, wakes back again? Nod

thx.

sebj

- Geeba - 2010-08-20

Sebj - I'll do my best to get this tested for you this weekend.... I was going to try a live install....

Where is the best place to pick up bleeding edge xbmcfreak?

I cant seem to find how to create a USB boot device for Live without installing from CD first? - obviously the nettop has no cd drive... anyone got a solution... I'd need to create the USB on a different machine like I did with the Win7 install USB stick..

- Mithjo - 2010-08-20

Since nobody answered, i'll take it:

http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/downloads/ for the xbmcfreak stuff

There's also a how-to on the site on how to create a USB for it with the aid of a virtual machine

- Geeba - 2010-08-20

Well I'm gonna be honest here... this aint for me.... everything is a s**t fight... which is how I kinda thought it would be....Sad

Getting HDMI to work out of my Jetway was a drag... gave up and used DVI... the getting audio out of it... drag... I'm still on 2 channel... harmony remote... they ARE laggy no doubt about it.. and getting every function to work as it did on the original remote... fat chance unless you have alot more free time than I do... all evening I have found myself ether going to the original remote or the keyboard... press the wrong button on the remote and blinking media centre or screen magnifier would start up!!!!

Mrs went out I fancied a movie.... I turned on the xbox... screen was correct res... my amp fired up in surround sound... simples! Cool

I spent years trying to get windows/PC connected to TV... thats how I originally found XBMC or MP as it was then... it just worked to coin a phrase...

Anyone want a jetway, SSD, 4gb RAM, Harmony 650.. HDMI lead wireless keyboard...... geessss I dread to think how much it has cost me.

- Hannes The Hun - 2010-08-21

it seems like you had these problems with windows... before selling why don't you give the XBMCfreak live build a try?

- poofyhairguy - 2010-08-21

Hannes The Hun Wrote:it seems like you had these problems with windows... before selling why don't you give the XBMCfreak live build a try?

I second this. I use Linux for XBMC. Many do.