Kodi Community Forum
HTPC build with new ASUS AT5IONT-I - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: HTPC build with new ASUS AT5IONT-I (/showthread.php?tid=79012)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

- Rolle2000 - 2010-08-31

Some of you are still looking for case. Have a look at this new case from Ace.
http://www.aceofsweden.com/ace/case/mini-itx/proton-bk.html
Maybe it's possible to mount a fan close to the perforated lid.

- highbury - 2010-09-01

Wrote someday ago, no luck...
Did anyone know if ASUS AT5IONT-I has HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 output? Nvidia not specified it, and don't answer my e-mails because of they give support "only for purchased products". No in their world I should buy it, then discover if it's what I want or not... Asus doesn't answer at all.

Many thanks to all,
Highbury

- nijaju - 2010-09-01

Looks like the deluxe is about to hit the shelves. Here's an unboxing. I was assuming that the Bluetooth module occupied one of the four rear usb ports but from the picture, that doesn't look to be the case. Is that a 5th usb port or is the Bluetooth really built in? I've never had a motherboard with Bluetooth before.

- clemdaddy - 2010-09-01

nice thread. I've been following this for a while. Based on the recommendations here, I bought the kingston kvr1333d3s9/1g.

All the parts finally arrived last night:

AT5IONT-I (not the deluxe version)
x2 kingston kvr1333d3s9/1g
Silverstone sugo sg05 (nice 120mm fan in front)
Seagate 7200rpm 500 gig sata drive

Windows 7 32-bit installation went flawlessly. I downloaded the chipset drivers from Asus. I then downloaded and installed the latest nvidia ion drivers. Everything went down hill from here. I got video corruption and a continuous pop-up (every 10 seconds) telling me the video driver just recovered from an error. Every once in a while, the whole system will hang. If i uninstall the drivers, everything returns to normal (except with 800x600 resolution due to default display drivers)

I got the same results when i installed the video drivers from Asus and the video drivers that came on the CD with the mobo. I believe there are no bios updates.

I'm at the point i think i may have a defective board Sad

anyone have a similar experience and have any suggestions?

thanks!

- Flomaster - 2010-09-01

clemdaddy Wrote:nice thread. I've been following this for a while. Based on the recommendations here, I bought the kingston kvr1333d3s9/1g.

All the parts finally arrived last night:

AT5IONT-I (not the deluxe version)
x2 kingston kvr1333d3s9/1g
Silverstone sugo sg05 (nice 120mm fan in front)
Seagate 7200rpm 500 gig sata drive

Windows 7 32-bit installation went flawlessly. I downloaded the chipset drivers from Asus. I then downloaded and installed the latest nvidia ion drivers. Everything went down hill from here. I got video corruption and a continuous pop-up (ever 10 seconds) telling me the video driver just recovered from an error. Every once in a while, the whole system will hang. If i uninstall the drivers, everything returns to normal (except with 800x600 resolution due to default display drivers)

I got the same results when i installed the video drivers from Asus and the video drivers that came on the CD with the mobo. I believe there are no bios updates.

I'm at the point i think i may have a defective board Sad

anyone have a similar experience and have any suggestions?

thanks!

ditch Windows and run Linux Ubuntu or xbmcFREAK-Live

-=Jason=-

- clemdaddy - 2010-09-01

Flomaster Wrote:ditch Windows and run Linux Ubuntu or xbmcFREAK-Live

-=Jason=-

I run Ubuntu from a virtualbox on windows. I must admit, Linux Ubuntu has come a long way - but (in my opinion) it is still pretty complicated. Took me a long time just to figure out how to map drives at startup Smile (thats pretty embarrassing) ! I think i'll try exchanging my mobo (incase the one i have is defective) before I tackle experimenting with a different OS.

- Flomaster - 2010-09-01

clemdaddy Wrote:I run Ubuntu from a virtualbox on windows. I must admit, Linux Ubuntu has come a long way - but (in my opinion) it is still pretty complicated. Took me a long time just to figure out how to map drives at startup Smile (thats pretty embarrassing) ! I think i'll try exchanging my mobo (incase the one i have is defective) before I tackle experimenting with a new OS.

i took the plunge and learned a lot, im still very n00bish on linux, but I much prefer is over windows. yeah some things take some research to get working, but overall I am very happy using Linux on my HTPC

just sayin'

-=Jason=-

EDIT: I'd try Linux FIRST before you pay shipping back, plus restocking on a different Mobo.

AT5IONT-I Overheating - bradsnw - 2010-09-01

So I just purchased this AT5IONT-I motherboard for an HTPC. OS is Windows 7, 64 bit. Have used all of the updated drivers from ASUS website and ION drivers from NVIDIA. System is running at 80c while idling and jumps to 100c during Blueray playback. Everything runs great on this machine, except for being way too hot. PC Probe, Speed Fan and Bios all report consisten temps. I've got 4 GB of ram in it but it was not included on the QVL. I have built numerous machines and have never had any issues with RAM incompatibility. I have read elsewhere that using the wrong RAM could make the MB overheat. Is this true? Below is the list of components in my setup. Case is ITX size and passively cooled. Not a single fan in use in this detup. If anyone could point me in the right direction on this problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Motherboard - ASUS AT5IONT-I
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=iIZKMXSj0jZKiebE&templete=2

Hard drive - WD Caviar 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=TSD-500AAKS%20IM

RAM - Corsair PC10666 RAM - 2GB, DDR3, 1333MHz, SODIMM Laptop Memory, Class 9
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=C13-6166

BD Drive - Lite-On IHOS104 Blu Ray ROM - BD-ROM 4X, DVD-ROM 8X, CD-ROM 32X (OEM)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=L12-1332%20OEM

Case - Apevia X-Fit-200 Mini-ITX Case - 250W PSU, Mini ITX, USB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=A107-1140

- olafthekid - 2010-09-01

bradsnw Wrote:RAM - Corsair PC10666 RAM - 2GB, DDR3, 1333MHz, SODIMM Laptop Memory, Class 9
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=C13-6166

Hmm strange, I used those memory and it did not work for me...

- clemdaddy - 2010-09-02

Flomaster Wrote:i took the plunge and learned a lot, im still very n00bish on linux, but I much prefer is over windows. yeah some things take some research to get working, but overall I am very happy using Linux on my HTPC

just sayin'

-=Jason=-

EDIT: I'd try Linux FIRST before you pay shipping back, plus restocking on a different Mobo.

I had ordered the case and memory. Mobo I had bought at my local Frys. So I exchanged it this evening. Re-setup the replacement mobo, and everything works! So I must have had a defective unit. Even though I warned the guys at Frys that I suspected it was defective, they still re-stocked it on the shelf!!!

I can finally stream backed up blurays through shared folders on my 100mbps network (using Total Media Theatre)

Thanks for your response! One of these days i'll take the full plunge to Ubuntu. For now, i'll keep practicing in the virtualbox

- User 73758 - 2010-09-02

whatnot Wrote:What makes N550 such a perfect CPU for HTPC use, what does it have over D525 for example? I googled the datasheets, but am not deep enough to see the differentiator.

N550 has more power than D510 and D525 is only slightly faster than D510. So, N550 is probably almost as powerful as D525 but has lower TDP.

- Beerfactory - 2010-09-02

The AT510NT-I looks like a cool board... and I think with the right case and cooling it would be great. I love the better Atom processor, and despite the fact that the ION-2 chipset (OK, after reading some reviews, it's really not that, but that notwithstanding) would make a good, small HTPC that could hang around for awhile.

But, the limitation of the QVL for the RAM is stupid. If I got this system, I'd want to cram it with 4 gigs of RAM and be done with it. 2 gigs seems the bare minimum for HTPC use if you're using Windows 7. (No, some of us won't use LINUX)

A review on NewEgg points out this:
"Board does NOT support SO DIMMS made up of 256Mb chips or less.
Owner's manual only identifies a single compatible 2GB SO DIMM (HYNIX HMT325S6BFR8C-H9)"

I'm not sure how many of you have found the HYNIX RAM, but it's not cheap.
Maybe the 256MB chip thing is the deal breaker - I don't know.

Has anyone gotten 4 gigs of ram on this motherboard? Obviously ASUS's QVL list is limited....

- PowerPritt - 2010-09-02

PowerPritt Wrote:First.... It´s less the compatibility of the case to the boards. It´s the fact that the board has no mouning holes for standard coolers. You would not be able to mount any kind of other coolers out of the box. Ok, craftsmen could probably sew something to make them fit...but....

I´ll make some pics when I open the case again which will be most likely tomorrow. Meanwhile I can give you a description.
If you look at the boards heatsinks where the heatpipes are entering it, you will see that there are some nearly triangular holes. 2 besides each heat pipe one a bit bitter than the other. I took two 4mm heatpipes and swaged them a little into triangular shape (has to be done very carefully in order not to mess the pipes. Then I puzzeled them into the bigger of these holes. Took me nearly an hour of pressing and dangling back and forth but then they where in nearly full lenght. Since the are a bit under pressure there is good contact to the heat sink. I checkt if the heat pipes get hot, before I went further. The only thing to finish the things was connecting the heatpipes to the case cooling fins. Needed to extend them by other pipes since the where not long enough otherwise.
I told it is only possible with the big enclosure since the full hight is needed. I doubt, a mini ITX will be high enough.

Cheers.... Martin

If you send me your email-adress I will send you some pics. dont know how to get them in here.

- whatnot - 2010-09-02

PowerPritt Wrote:If you send me your email-adress I will send you some pics. dont know how to get them in here.

Check PM PowerPritt.

Just ordered HFX Micro M2. I guess I'm begging for trouble. Oo

- OldOne - 2010-09-03

partimers Wrote:Did you checked the temps while playing 1080p content? What kind of case are you using?

nope, i dont have any 1080p media, i will install sensors tonight and have acloser look.
Yesterday i watche for 2 hours, rebootet the machine right away and both temps where at arround 65°C.

i am pretty happy with my setup now, clear picture, no lags, amazing xbmc (used the xbox until now).
Have to get a bette rcase because there is a high pitch noise comming out of the case, than its perfect