Kodi Community Forum
HTPC build with new ASUS AT5IONT-I - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: HTPC build with new ASUS AT5IONT-I (/showthread.php?tid=79012)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

- numb7rs - 2011-02-02

bozmoz,

The memory you're using is incompatible with the BIOS version. This is a known problem with the Rev 1.01 boards. You'll need to get hold some RAM on the qualified vendor list. Once you've done this, you should update your BIOS to the latest version, then you can use (almost) any stick of RAM. Both the QVL and the latest BIOS version can be found at the Asus support website.

Good luck.

- bozmoz - 2011-02-02

So it looks like I got an old board. Just read on a review here that the 1G boards have the BIOS problem. What revision of the board comes with the latest bios?

I think I'm SOL because I don't even own Windows to install and get the thing set up. I just want to use Linux and shelling out $$ for an OS I don't want doesn't make sense. Seems even if I had Win7 I'd still have to buy one kind of RAM to get the new bios update, then I'd have to buy the RAM I want.... frustrating. Then there's the heat issues. I would like to make a HTPC that has no fans, but at least very quiet.

According to beep definitions here. Looks like 1 long 2 short may point to a video I/O problem. Maybe that means I have a defective board.

On the other hand, if I get a non-defective 1G board, I see in the AT5IONT-I manual section 2.1.3 that the BIOS can be updated from a flash drive during POST. Can this be done without RAM or OS?

- numb7rs - 2011-02-02

You don't need Windows to set stuff up, not sure where you got that from.

The Asus beep codes are generally non-standard. Your problem is almost certainly the RAM issue. As I said, this can be fixed by updating the BIOS. But the board needs RAM to do anything, even at the BIOS level, so you'll need to get hold of some listed in the QVL. As you only need the RAM for 5 mins, it might be worth going to your local PC store and seeing if they can lend you a stick; this will probably be cheaper than buying one (unless you can find one for cheap on ebay etc)

Most boards you buy new will be Rev 1.03. Generally, this is the same as the old board, just with the latest BIOS to solve the memory issue.

TL;DR: You don't need an OS. You do need a different stick of RAM.

Edit: To go truely fanless, you would need to drastically reduce the performance. For a HTPC that can play back full HD content, a totally fanless system is both expensive and impractical. Even if you have huge passive heatsinks on CPU and GPU, you will need at least one case fan to keep temperatures down.

- golddk - 2011-02-02

Another bios is here for AT5ION-T. Bios is version 0041 (not 0401) but date is newer then 0401.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=33AFLPBA

- bozmoz - 2011-02-02

numb7rs, you rock

- bozmoz - 2011-02-03

OK. I ordered a Kingston S01GFA33C9NBGC, assuming 2GB is enough for Ubuntu. Since it's on the QVL, I hope I can update the bios with it. The other ram I bought will go back to the shop.

@goldk: How did yo know about the bios on the megaload link? I see 0316 as the latest on the asus site.

- numb7rs - 2011-02-03

bozmoz Wrote:numb7rs, you rock

Big Grin

2GB is fine for Ubuntu. Good work finding a 2GB stick from the QVL. Hope it goes well.

I think a German site leaked a beta BIOS; there was a post on the Asus forums. People have said that it works, but I'm not desperate so I'm going to wait for the official release. Hopefully won't be too long.

- golddk - 2011-02-03

@bozmoz i found the bios on a german site. I have testet bios 0401 and 0041 and both is working OK, for me 0041 is best.

- Revenge - 2011-02-04

Hey guys, what are the settings you choose on your bios?

- bozmoz - 2011-02-05

The Kingston S01GFA33C9NBGC arrived today. I've tried plugging it in to one, then the other memory slot on the motherboard. The result is the same as the other RAM. No beeps. No video (only tried HDMI). I thought getting RAM from the QVL would allow the system to start, then I could update the BIOS from a thumb drive. But it seems I'm right where I started. I may bring back to the store tomorrow and see if someone there can help me get through the BIOS update.

- numb7rs - 2011-02-05

bozmoz - That's a bit crap. I guess taking it back to the store is the next logical step. Good luck.

- jamesaevans - 2011-02-06

Just finished reading through this thread, and other than a few well documented issues with memory compatibility it looks like this is a great motherboard for building a HTPC. I think this motherboard will do everything I want, but it would be helpful if someone could confirm that it will meet all of my requirements before I make a purchase.

Specifically I’m looking to use XBMC as the front-end so that I can:
  • Play Blu-ray discs at full 1080p and bit stream True-HD & DTS-HD Master audio to my HDMI equipped amp, probably using ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 5
  • Stream Blu-ray movies that I have ripped (exactly as they were on the original disc without any re-encoding), again with bit-streaming the audio to my amp over HDMI

Assuming that this motherboard meets my requirements, I am planning to use it in conjunction with a Blu-ray drive (e.g. Samsung SH-B123L/BSBP) and SSD (e.g. Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB), what would people recommend for a power supply given the "Deluxe" version looks like it is not going to be released?

Thanks
James

- Torroa - 2011-02-06

You need a GT4xx videocard to get bitstream HD audio, only PCM with GT218 (Ion2)

A 60w external powersupply should be enough. It is bundled with lots of ITX cabinets.

- poyntek - 2011-02-06

Lots of great ideas here, I get so many new ideas to improve my xbmc setup every time I read though this forum, I just recently gave some attention to xbmc on my blog, feel free to drop by tell me what you think or ad a comment. I didn't really cover the live xbmc, it would be great if someone here could share on my blog about it....

Kevin Poynter

Kevin's World of Technology Adventures

- MarcelD - 2011-02-14

Hi!

I succeeded to build my 1st htpc with at5iont-i and installed ubuntu 10.10.

My problem now is:
- I have NO sound through HDMI on my Sony TV
- I have sound stream in Optical SPDIF out to my Denon Receiver, but NO Digital passthrough (for example a xvid movie with a Dolby Digital stream has in totem (mplayer) no sound. Movies with Mp3 stream have - pro logic IIx - is downmixed to 2 channels or?)

Xbmc - same behaviour - Library error/ not initialised or something like that in right down cornenr while playing movies with digital stream..

I played around with alsamixer etc, but no way to pass through DD stream over optical SPDIF..

Did anyone solved such puzzles?

Thanx..