Kodi Community Forum
24p and audio sync issues - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 24p and audio sync issues (/showthread.php?tid=80247)

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - franekf - 2013-02-23

I am not a developer, But I think it is a bug in core functionality of xbmc and it should not be solved by a plugin or delay hack. I think this because in mediaportal on the same hw I have not this issue - after automatic changing resolution configured in mediaportal. So maybe someone with programming skills can analyze how is the mediaportal changing the resolution and play movie, where is the difference ?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - jordandk - 2013-02-24

I have made the advancedsettings.xml file from page 42, but when I look pressing o on my keyboard it still said ad:0.000? Please help me.

Edit: got it fixed now. Thanks.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - belongamick - 2013-02-28

(2013-02-21, 18:09)belongamick Wrote:
(2013-02-08, 00:58)belongamick Wrote: Using Win7 Pro 64-bit, XBMC 12.0, bitstreaming to AVR, TV supports 23.976, 24, 50, 60 Hz. XBMC set to match playback to display. HTPC using and ATI 5450.

I am also experiencing lipsync issues on 24p material, but so far only on movies with DTS sound track, AC3 seems to be OK (on testing so far). And some DTS movies are also OK. The audio delay on the DTS movies seems to vary throughout the movie. On movies with lipsync issue I need to delay audio by approx 0.150.

If I disable vertical sync lipsync issues go away - but then left with tearing.

Previous posts in this tread link to a video sync file in 23.976 - can someone pls repost a link.

Have found that if I turn off bitstreaming and enable A//V Sync (using Audio Clock) that I get no Lipsync issues, and no issues with video judder. Except when I jump forward/back I sometimes start to see the "Missed" counter start incrementing (run away counter issue) and then lipsync issues creep in - this is resolved by jumping forward/back once or twice to stop the missed counter incrementing.

I have done some more testing on this. I can actually bitstream audio to my amp, and as longs as I enable A/V Sync (using Audio Clock) no lipsync issues encountered. This is with vertical sync enabled and "adjust display to match video" enabled. I have tested with several movies at 23.976 with AC3 and DTS - and where the DTS movies would before go in and out out sync now they're are now OK with this setup.

I seem to get 1 or sometimes 2 "Missed" frames during the course of a film - but no Drops. I haven't noticed any judder in films and I tend to notice that.

(2012-12-29, 10:03)a11599 Wrote: I found the reason of the missed counter runaway. While I do not really think it has anything to do with the audio delay, I baked a patch for it.

Here is a Windows installer: http://subvoice.hu/xbmc/XBMCSetup-20121229-77d653b-dx.exe
Source code: https://github.com/a11599/xbmc/commits/my_build
If you want to build your own, here is the actual commit: https://github.com/a11599/xbmc/commit/77d653bd471b5fb8afcb4d28de379ed2243cfb20

If you are going to test it, please let me know your findings.

Thanks for that. Some quick testing with this version and it appears the runaway missed counter is fixed and the a/v sync issues which in my case coincided with when the counter was incrementing.

My previous post above may be of interest.

UPDATE: may have spoke to soon. Was watching a film tonight and after having paused it for about a minute when it resumed the a/v was out of sync, which was cured just by jumping back 30 seconds. So, the missed counter issue may be fixed in that release but maybe this is not related to the AV sync issue after all.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - jasjeet - 2013-03-01

I dont the A/V Sync works with bitstreaming, thats the whole point of bitstreaming - its untouched.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - belongamick - 2013-03-01

(2013-03-01, 20:34)jasjeet Wrote: I dont the A/V Sync works with bitstreaming, thats the whole point of bitstreaming - its untouched.

I thought when you select the Audio Clock for AV Sync it is the video that is adjusted to match the audio - so the audio is untouched regardless of whether you're bitstreaming or not.

I'm guessing that because I have "adjust display to match video" enabled that any adjustment to the video is minimal or even unnecessary - which is why I'm seeing no detrimental affect on video smoothness.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - flitter2009 - 2013-04-02

I've found the only way I seem to be able to get the HD bitstreamed audio in sync and without clicks and pops is to use 'audio clock' as the sync method. I do see some video effects as well, but I'm not sure they're related.

Why is makes a difference with bitstreaming is out of my league though...

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - negge - 2013-04-03

I've been having some small sync issues with 24p content as well (about 50ms delay needed). I recently added uNiversal's modelines to my xorg.conf and it seems to have fixed the issue (at least made it much less noticable). So, the only thing that I've changed is that the 23.976 mode is being used instead of the 24.000. I have Sync playback to display disabled.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - houlty - 2013-04-18

does anybody have a confirmed solution to this?

i've tried adding the delay to the advancedsettings file, but it seems to work differently to the gui audio delay (i.e. gui need -175 delay, advanced settings is closer to -250). Even then things aren't perfect.

if it helps i'm running windows 8, AMD A6 5400K (7540D graphics)

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - torcar - 2013-04-19

There is no good solution to this problem.

XBMC seems to have a "built in" bug when it comes to play back 24p material in native 24hz (23.976)

Editing advancedsettings.xml will get you close, but since the output varies as the movie plays you will experience that the sound is early in one scene and delayed in another...

I for one would be willing to pay a reward to the dev that can solve this problem once and for all.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - houlty - 2013-04-19

so is there a way for me to play 24p material with the display fixed at 60hz? if i try that now, the video goes jittery (but audio is in sync)..

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - robl45 - 2013-04-20

(2013-04-19, 13:17)torcar Wrote: There is no good solution to this problem.

XBMC seems to have a "built in" bug when it comes to play back 24p material in native 24hz (23.976)

Editing advancedsettings.xml will get you close, but since the output varies as the movie plays you will experience that the sound is early in one scene and delayed in another...

I for one would be willing to pay a reward to the dev that can solve this problem once and for all.

Ya think? You'd figure that with 24p material being 99% of all movies, it would be a high priority item yet its been 2 years plus. There is a relatively simple solution, add in an option to use reclock as the sound renderer, problem solved.

I've been using mpc-hc with reclock while this gets sorted out, it works but uses a bunch of resources and is a pain since you have to find a specific remote that will work with both or use 2 remotes.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - negge - 2013-04-20

(2013-04-20, 01:32)robl45 Wrote:

Ya think? You'd figure that with 24p material being 99% of all movies, it would be a high priority item yet its been 2 years plus. There is a relatively simple solution, add in an option to use reclock as the sound renderer, problem solved.

I've been using mpc-hc with reclock while this gets sorted out, it works but uses a bunch of resources and is a pain since you have to find a specific remote that will work with both or use 2 remotes.

Not everyone is using Windows. If the fix would be that simple, don't you think it would have gotten in ages ago?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - steelman1991 - 2013-04-20

(2013-04-20, 08:41)negge Wrote:

Not everyone is using Windows. If the fix would be that simple, don't you think it would have gotten in ages ago?

Not that simple - lack of devs on the windows platform and the fact that none of the devs can reproduce the 'delay' make it difficult to fix.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - robl45 - 2013-04-20

(2013-04-20, 08:41)negge Wrote:

agreed, That's what is stopping me from trying linux, no reclock like solution and clearly the xbmc solution is not work.

(2012-12-29, 10:03)a11599 Wrote: I found the reason of the missed counter runaway. While I do not really think it has anything to do with the audio delay, I baked a patch for it.

Here is a Windows installer: http://subvoice.hu/xbmc/XBMCSetup-20121229-77d653b-dx.exe
Source code: https://github.com/a11599/xbmc/commits/my_build
If you want to build your own, here is the actual commit: https://github.com/a11599/xbmc/commit/77d653bd471b5fb8afcb4d28de379ed2243cfb20

If you are going to test it, please let me know your findings.

This went a decent way to fixing the problem, I don't know if any more development is going on with it.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Skram0 - 2013-04-23

The developers sure like to add more features (thanks for that), and port the code to more platforms. But don't want to acknowledge and repair this bug that's been going on for a few years now.