Kodi Community Forum
24p and audio sync issues - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 24p and audio sync issues (/showthread.php?tid=80247)

Re: 24p and audio sync issues - Simkin84 - 2014-01-29

So this new audio engine is not present in v12.3? Is it a gotham feature?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Xophile - 2014-01-29

Correct, it's something for 13.0 as far as I know.

You can try it out with a nightly build though

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - steelman1991 - 2014-01-29

Don't bother from my experience the delay is still there YMMV. I think its more to do with the variables in a system - add a receiver and this can have its own problems. I see this delay in all front ends - not just xbmc.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Simkin84 - 2014-01-29

Well, its not any issue in VLC or MPC-HC, or watching 50 or 60Hz content in XBMC.. So this is clearly an 24p bug..

i still cant believe it. 4 YEARS, and its still a problem..

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Skram0 - 2014-01-30

And it's not a problem of people's audio receivers. Or else no one would be able to watch a Blu-ray from their Blu-ray player without audio sync issues.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - steelman1991 - 2014-01-30

Blu-ray players don't have all the variables of an HTPC set-up, far easier to control output from a Blu-ray player than an HTPC. I was only mentioning a receiver as an example, not the cause.

Meant to add that the delay I see is in 24p material, over all front ends, so in my system not restricted to xbmc

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Xophile - 2014-01-30

On my system both vlc and mphc plays 24p fine.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Simkin84 - 2014-01-30

Same with me. Plays just fine in VLC and MPC-HC. So does 50 and 60Hz content in XBMC.

And if they haven't fixed it with Gotham and the new sound engine, i guess its no hope..

If anyone can fix this, i will peronally pay/donate to the person who does fix it.

Not only is 24p out of sync, but its changing while the movie plays. Its hilarious, not only do you have to adjust it before the movie starts, but you have to stop and rewind or adjust at the same time you are watching an 24p movie.. Thats what i call a proper home cinema experience.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Xophile - 2014-01-30

Simkin: I guess we have (nearly) the same problems/frustrations.
I've never experienced that the sync changes during playback though. What hardware do you have?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Simkin84 - 2014-01-30

9My HTPC is an AMD A10 5800K on Windows 7 64Bit, running through an Yamaha RX-A2010 Receiver and then to an Panasonic 65VT30 Plasma.

As i have just moved in to my new place, i havent tested and watched a movie properly yet, i have only done some testing "here and there", and found out that 24p audio/video is out of sync.

It seems to get worse if i "fast forward" or "rewind" or skip through the movie, but the audio sync may not get any worse if i just watch a movie without any stops or skips, i havent tested yet.

As i am running through an receiver, what setting should i use in the A/V Sync method? and what does the different option means? (my english is a little rusty Smile)

However, i plan to test advancesettings.xml and test delays this weekend, and i really hope it will work. I have well over 600 24p movies and alot of tv shows, and going back to VLC and windows folders is not an option. I love XBMC to much, its sad that a bug like this ruins such a nice Home Theater software like XBMC.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - tfouto - 2014-01-31

(2014-01-30, 23:57)Simkin84 Wrote: 9My HTPC is an AMD A10 5800K on Windows 7 64Bit, running through an Yamaha RX-A2010 Receiver and then to an Panasonic 65VT30 Plasma.

As i have just moved in to my new place, i havent tested and watched a movie properly yet, i have only done some testing "here and there", and found out that 24p audio/video is out of sync.

It seems to get worse if i "fast forward" or "rewind" or skip through the movie, but the audio sync may not get any worse if i just watch a movie without any stops or skips, i havent tested yet.

As i am running through an receiver, what setting should i use in the A/V Sync method? and what does the different option means? (my english is a little rusty Smile)

However, i plan to test advancesettings.xml and test delays this weekend, and i really hope it will work. I have well over 600 24p movies and alot of tv shows, and going back to VLC and windows folders is not an option. I love XBMC to much, its sad that a bug like this ruins such a nice Home Theater software like XBMC.

Why dont you try this?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=154534
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=DSPlayer

It's a nice working solution...

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - belongamick - 2014-03-05

Tried Gotham Beta1 last night and bug is still there.

What I have noticed is that if you:
========================
enable adjust display refresh rate to match playback
and enable Sync Playback to Display
and use A/V Sync method Audio Clock

...the lipsync issue is only present when the missed counter runaway increments (press o during playback).

The missed counter seems to always increment after pause/resume or rewind/fastforward or at the start of initial playback - but to stop it runaway incrementing I just skip back or forwards (left/right arrows key) 30 seconds. I've found for this to work you mostly have to skip back and forth a few times before the missed counter stops incrementing.

So, I think you can use the missed counter as a guide to whether the lipsync issue is occuring/going to occur shortly.

With the above settings I'm able to playback 23.976 movies with no issue with lipsync - just remembering to skip back at the start of the movie and after any pause/resume or rewind/fastforward.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - aquilae - 2014-03-07

So in summary, this issue still exists in Gotham?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - belongamick - 2014-03-07

(2014-03-07, 13:43)aquilae Wrote: So in summary, this issue still exists in Gotham?

Certainly is for me. I'd be interested to hear from others whether my observations in my above post yield the same results regarding the missed counter.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - steelman1991 - 2014-03-07

(2014-03-07, 14:33)belongamick Wrote:
(2014-03-07, 13:43)aquilae Wrote: So in summary, this issue still exists in Gotham?

Certainly is for me. I'd be interested to hear from others whether my observations in my above post yield the same results regarding the missed counter.

I don't have this issue with Gotham Beta 1. I don't see missing counter increments, but what I did change was to disable vertical sync through the GUI. I had previously found that disabling the vertical sync resolved the issue, but introduced screen tearing, but now that is only visible in chapter skips. Try disabling it and see what happens, if it doesn't help, just switch back.