Kodi Community Forum
24p and audio sync issues - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 24p and audio sync issues (/showthread.php?tid=80247)

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - belongamick - 2014-03-08

(2014-03-07, 15:57)steelman1991 Wrote:
(2014-03-07, 14:33)belongamick Wrote:
(2014-03-07, 13:43)aquilae Wrote: So in summary, this issue still exists in Gotham?

Certainly is for me. I'd be interested to hear from others whether my observations in my above post yield the same results regarding the missed counter.

I don't have this issue with Gotham Beta 1. I don't see missing counter increments, but what I did change was to disable vertical sync through the GUI. I had previously found that disabling the vertical sync resolved the issue, but introduced screen tearing, but now that is only visible in chapter skips. Try disabling it and see what happens, if it doesn't help, just switch back.

I tried disabling V-SYNC and no more runaway missed counter, and audio/video is always in sync - nice one! Like you say tearing is only an issue when skipping, and slightly in menu system. I noticed that when disabling V-SYNC that you have to enable "Sync Playback to Display" otherwise I get tearing.

Although not perfect I think this is the best combination of settings for me. UPDATE: came across one movie over the weekend which suffered from tearing with V-SYNC disabled.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - steelman1991 - 2014-03-08

Yeah sorry meant to say you have to keep "Sync Playback to Display" enabled. Glad its working for you.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - frozenice - 2014-03-09

Same problem here with Audio out of Sync on my i3 Haswell NUC. Tried many Options to fix the Problem, delay in advanced settings and so on. But nothing will fix it finally.
Yesterday is tried OpenELEC on my System and it looks like that there are no Audio Problems. Under Windows there are still issues but openelec seems to be fine.

Can anyone else confirm that the audio syncronisation is under openelec still better than on Windows?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - steelman1991 - 2014-03-09

Sorry but, If you don't see any issues - why are you seeking clarification? No reason to IMHO.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - newphreak - 2014-03-09

frozenice: OpenELEC has a default delay of audio by 175ms. We found that to be the offset that most people have, so it's set as default for 24hz/p playback. All other refresh rates has no delay.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - frozenice - 2014-03-10

(2014-03-09, 20:56)newphreak Wrote: frozenice: OpenELEC has a default delay of audio by 175ms. We found that to be the offset that most people have, so it's set as default for 24hz/p playback. All other refresh rates has no delay.

Thank You! That is exactly what i read yesterday in the openelec Board :-).

I tried the same Delay (175ms) via. advancedsettings on my windows 8.1 Installation, but after some skips through the 24p/23,976p Movie the Audio goes out of sync.

With openelec and the same (default) Delay of 175ms it looks nearly perfect. I dont understand why Sad.
For now i use openelec to enjoy my Movies, but it would be nice to have a perfect sync Playback in Windows, too.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - steelman1991 - 2014-03-10

Incorrect info given

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - jasonwc - 2014-03-11

I was having A/V sync issues in Windows 7 with Gotham Beta 1 using hardware decoding and 24p playback. I found that introducing a 1 second pause prior to playback to allow the screen to change refresh rates + the A/V sync option to drop audio packets helped maintain sync. However, an easier solution is simply to enable software decoding. Even without the pause or A/V sync options enabled, I get perfect synchronization. It's worth noting that I don't have any issues on my Rasberry Pi build or MPC-HC in Windows with DXVA or CUVID. In any case, software decoding has always worked better for me in XBMC on Windows, and if you have a fast enough system, it's worth trying.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Death-Axe - 2014-03-11

I am using the same advanced settings, same offset number across two different systems. One was a nvidia ion, this one is an amd a10. Completely different chips, and companies.

The xbmc team blame H/W companies, saying that each one uses different timings. If this is the case, then why does the same offset number fix it across completely different systems? With this, and with the XBMC team adding levels of options on Gotham; it is about time that options like this are added to the GUI.

I respect you guys are doing this on your own time, and may not be pros. But scapegoating is getting old, and I am not buying the excuse.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - sat4all - 2014-03-24

disabling vertical sync totaly solved my 24p sync issue but with screen tearing (talking about my nuc win 8.1 setup).
leaving vertical sync on and using software rendrer and decoding instead of hw acc, also fix it.
for guys being reporting that OE does better job regarding this issue, i noticed that in xbmc windows come with v-sync enabled by default but in openelec we can let the drive choose. so maybe the drive just switch it off but no tearing!?
with the same device wich is intel nuc i5, win 8.1 can do steady 60fps but with OE it's arround 30...34fps!
maybe i will just stick with the software decoding.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Lezziter - 2014-03-29

I recently built a new HTPC based around Intel Haswell, but with an external GPU for more gaming horsepower. Unfortunately, the new hardware aslo introduced this pesky 24p sync issue - something I didn't have with my old A10-5800K IGP solution.

Relevant components are a Pentium G3220 on an Asrock B85 based motherboard. The setup is connected to a Panasonic ST50 via a Yamaha RX-V467 receiver. Right now I'm using optical S/PDIF for sound and the reciever "only" for switching, but I have confirmed that the behaviour is identical with HDMI.

I'm working as a hardware reviewer and can therefore try different hardware options by using things from the office. In an effort to solve the 24p issues, I have tried quite a few configurations and settings over the past weeks. Unfortunately, nothing seems to help all the way.

* AMD Radeon HD 7770 (1st gen GCN)
* AMD Radeon HD 7790 (2nd gen GCN)
* Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 (Kepler)
* Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 Ti (Maxwell)
* Integrated Intel HD Graphics (Gen7+/Haswell) (side not: the Intel GFX Control panel is useless)

I have also tried with software decoding, software rendering and different scaling options in various combinations. With every setup, I still get 175-200 ms of video delay. The temporary solution is with advancedsettings, but as others have reported it still feels like someting is "off". When watching 25p material in 50 Hz or using 60 Hz with pulldown the sync is perfect.

And interesting side note is that I'm using Lightpack with Prismatik for ambient lighting. In some situations, especially quick flashes of light, it's clear that the ambilight actually reacts _before_ the video on my tv. It's like the capture software is ahead and in sync with the audio rather then with the video stream. Just to clarify, I have of course done all real 24p testing with Lightpack disconnected. It's quite CPU heavy and can surely add some strange behaviour on it's own.

I guess my post won't really change anything, but here you are anyway.
Smile

24p and audio sync issues - frarev - 2014-03-29

(2014-03-29, 12:49)Lezziter Wrote: I recently built a new HTPC based around Intel Haswell, but with an external GPU for more gaming horsepower. Unfortunately, the new hardware aslo introduced this pesky 24p sync issue - something I didn't have with my old A10-5800K IGP solution.

Relevant components are a Pentium G3220 on an Asrock B85 based motherboard. The setup is connected to a Panasonic ST50 via a Yamaha RX-V467 receiver. Right now I'm using optical S/PDIF for sound and the reciever "only" for switching, but I have confirmed that the behaviour is identical with HDMI.

I'm working as a hardware reviewer and can therefore try different hardware options by using things from the office. In an effort to solve the 24p issues, I have tried quite a few configurations and settings over the past weeks. Unfortunately, nothing seems to help all the way.

* Integrated Intel HD Graphics (Gen7+/Haswell) (side not: the Intel GFX Control panel is useless)

I have also tried with software decoding, software rendering and different scaling options in various combinations. With every setup, I still get 175-200 ms of video delay. The temporary solution is with advancedsettings, but as others have reported it still feels like someting is "off". When watching 25p material in 50 Hz or using 60 Hz with pulldown the sync is perfect.

And interesting side note is that I'm using Lightpack with Prismatik for ambient lighting. In some situations, especially quick flashes of light, it's clear that the ambilight actually reacts _before_ the video on my tv. It's like the capture software is ahead and in sync with the audio rather then with the video stream. Just to clarify, I have of course done all real 24p testing with Lightpack disconnected. It's quite CPU heavy and can surely add some strange behaviour on it's own.

Smile

If a specific advanced settings for 23-24 hz movies solve your problem why don't you use it ?

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - ashlar - 2014-03-29

(2014-03-05, 13:18)belongamick Wrote: ...the lipsync issue is only present when the missed counter runaway increments (press o during playback).

The missed counter seems to always increment after pause/resume or rewind/fastforward or at the start of initial playback - but to stop it runaway incrementing I just skip back or forwards (left/right arrows key) 30 seconds. I've found for this to work you mostly have to skip back and forth a few times before the missed counter stops incrementing.

So, I think you can use the missed counter as a guide to whether the lipsync issue is occuring/going to occur shortly.

With the above settings I'm able to playback 23.976 movies with no issue with lipsync - just remembering to skip back at the start of the movie and after any pause/resume or rewind/fastforward.
In my case, the missed counter runaway increments happen pretty much at every first video I watch after resuming from standby and relaunching XBMC. If I stop and play the same video, no runaway increments. It seems pretty constant in this regard. Gotham Beta 2, Win7 x64, Q9550S, 8GB RAM, GTX660 with latest drivers from Nvidia, audio HDMI from the GTX660.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Lezziter - 2014-03-29

(2014-03-29, 16:25)frarev Wrote:
(2014-03-29, 12:49)Lezziter Wrote: I recently built a new HTPC based around Intel Haswell, but with an external GPU for more gaming horsepower. Unfortunately, the new hardware aslo introduced this pesky 24p sync issue - something I didn't have with my old A10-5800K IGP solution.

Smile

If a specific advanced settings for 23-24 hz movies solve your problem why don't you use it ?
I do use it, but it doesn't solve the problem. As I said, there is still something that feels "off", even if it's miles better than without any audio delay at all. I guess that is because the offset isn't constant but varies slightly, from about 175 ms to 225 ms. Setting the parameter in advancedsettings to about 175-200 ms is a good start, but it isn't as good as "real sync".

24p and audio sync issues - frarev - 2014-03-29

(2014-03-29, 17:13)Lezziter Wrote:
(2014-03-29, 16:25)frarev Wrote:

Smile

I do use it, but it doesn't solve the problem. As I said, there is still something that feels "off", even if it's miles better than without any audio delay at all. I guess that is because the offset isn't constant but varies slightly, from about 175 ms to 225 ms. Setting the parameter in advancedsettings to about 175-200 ms is a good start, but it isn't as good as "real sync".

Are you using an openelec xbmc. ?
Are you using particular settings as adjust playback to display ?