Kodi Community Forum
24p and audio sync issues - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 24p and audio sync issues (/showthread.php?tid=80247)

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Karnis - 2014-06-16

(2014-06-05, 01:52)justwood Wrote: Sticky this post. These settings worked great with my HD 4000. No global lipsync delay needed. Final can enjoy 24p with XBMC.

Glad it worked out for you!

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - torcar - 2014-06-27

I've not been able to test enough to conclude, but with the settings described by Karnis I'm seeing a dramatic improvement.

The main menu's has become quite choppy due to running without vertical sync, but the movies play fine.

Now running without a global delay on 24p movies and most movies are in sync.

If nothing else, this should give the developers something to grasp at when it comes to solve this bug that has followed XBMC for years now.

I'll check back in a while when I have done some more tests.

Thank you Karnis!

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - ears1991 - 2014-06-27

(2014-06-01, 08:20)Karnis Wrote: snip

Good post, definitely worth stickying somewhere.

I had a very similar experience with HD4000, there was definitely a big change between driver 2875 and 2932 (and every driver I have tried since 2932 seems OK although I haven't tested to the same extent as you) as I also was able to remove the delay for 24p movies after updating to this driver. I have aero on and haven't had any significant issues but will try aero off to see if anything improves.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - arokh - 2014-07-03

I need a delay of 175ms on HD audio tracks, too bad the delay can't be set for specific types.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - meridius - 2014-07-03

(2014-07-03, 21:54)arokh Wrote: I need a delay of 175ms on HD audio tracks, too bad the delay can't be set for specific types.

You can you have to enter some lines into the advance settings file but I can not remember where I saw the settings on the forums as I need all 24p stuff I have set at -175ms and 50hz and 60hz stuff left at 0ms as I have no problems with that apart from 24p stuff. I have used the settings in the audio menu of xbmc as about 90% of my stuff is 24p.

bugger can I find the info for it for the advance settings

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - steelman1991 - 2014-07-03

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Advancedsettings.xml - 2.2.2 Video then 'latency'

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - meridius - 2014-07-05

Hi all

Would like to know would the advance settings need to be added to all front end systems ? as I use a server and MySQL ?. I know if you change the audio settings in the audio menu and delay the audio it does this across all front end systems which is a pain.

its just some front ends need a different delay to other front ends, so would this advance settings fix the problem on each system?

also do I need to add a - in front of the 17ms delay as when I use xbmc menu I have it set to -175ms or do I just add 175 to the advance settings

<video>
<latency>
<delay>0</delay>
<refresh>
<min>23</min>
<max>24</max>
<delay>175</delay>
</refresh>
</latency>
</video>

thanks

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - steelman1991 - 2014-07-05

Don't know if this will be retained globally, but no need to add "-" to the command, as it says its a delay, which by default means "-"

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Talkiet - 2014-07-08

(2014-06-01, 08:20)Karnis Wrote: This has been driving me nuts from day one of XBMC, starting with Frodo & continuing thru Gotham 13.0. After a lot of experimentation, I finally found a combo that seems to work for blu ray MKV 24p playback & I'd thought I'd pass it on.
[snip]

With the recommended settings on my D2820 Intel NUC with HD4000 Gfx and Win7 x64, 4GB RAM, HDMI out to receiver and 1080P plasma, I get Perfect results with 24P source material.

However on 50FPS encoded material it's shocking, Audio out of sync, dropping frames all over the place etc.

When I turn off Vsync and disable Audio Sync, the playback is pretty good (50fps reached, a little tearing) but switching back and forth is horrible.

Is it likely that

a) There is a miracle settings which would improve 50FPS playback with Vsync and audio sync?
b) Automatic change of settings based on FPS of source material (like with the audio delay)

Regards
N

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - torcar - 2014-07-08

Same issue here... 24p is way better with the settings described, but 50/60hz material is terrible.

In my case 99% of everything i watch is 24p, so I choose to use the settings... but a fix for all type of material would be the biggest upgrade to XBMC ever in my eyes Wink

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Warner306 - 2014-07-16

I have the same problem after recently moving to 24p playback on all sources. Using any of the following configurations passed through an Onkyo receiver to a Samsung F7500 LED produces lip sync issues which vary with the program material.

Computer configurations that I've owned:

- i7 Sandy Bridge with Intel HD4000
- Core 2 Duo 8400 with either an AMD Radeon R7 240 or Nvidia GTS 450

The only solution I have come up with is to launch MPC-HC from XBMC. I am mostly happy with this combination despite a lacking OSD and some difficulty in customizing MPC-HC keyboard shortcuts to a Harmony remote.

The key ingredient is Reclock, which adjusts the speed of the audio stream to the actual refresh rate of the program material. The developers of XBMC would be wise to look at Reclock for answers to this problem. I find 24p playback with DVD Player to be unacceptably broken.

My progression to a solution looked something like this:

- MPC-HC + MadVR + Xy Subfilter: Using the MadVR refresh rate change mechanism alone produced results no better than DVD Player; the lip sync issue were still present.

- MPC-HC + MadVR + Xy Subfilter + Reclock: With a pre-buffer of 500ms and a maximum latency of 8%, Reclock was able to maintain consistent audio playback of bitstreamed audio +/- 25ms either way. When using Reclock, it is recommended that all audio be converted to PCM over bitstream, but I am unable to notice any difference.

If anyone would like a starter guide on how to enable MPC-HC as an external player via a playercorefactory.xml file, I can provide one to you. I also have a couple of excellent links to guides on setting-up MPC-HC for maximum picture and audio quality. The last ingredient is some insight on the keyboard commands that should be mapped to your remote from the "Keys" section of MPC-HC.

I hope Team XBMC is taking this matter seriously, as it is certainly present, at least on my hardware. I agree that fixing the audio sync issues would be the single biggest upgrade to XBMC at this time.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - madjockxbmc - 2014-07-16

- MPC-HC + MadVR + Xy Subfilter + Reclock: With a pre-buffer of 500ms and a maximum latency of 8%, Reclock was able to maintain consistent audio playback of bitstreamed audio +/- 25ms either way. When using Reclock, it is recommended that all audio be converted to PCM over bitstream, but I am unable to notice any difference.

I tried the variants you have, but I am sure I read on a lot of places that Reclock and Passthrough audio is a waste of time. How can it adjust when it can't access it. It basically drops or dupes frames, which you can setup in XBMC.

You can actually use Reclock in XBMC with Dsplayer, but I bitstream, so again pretty pointless.

I suppose, and I have to add myself here, it's all well and good saying XBMC should do this and that, but like we both know MPC-HC needs Reclock as well, so its not just an XBMC issue.

I just reset everything today, changed the change refresh rate to match option, and today it seems fine. Just never know when it is going to start annoying me again.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Warner306 - 2014-07-17

(2014-07-16, 23:48)madjockxbmc Wrote: - MPC-HC + MadVR + Xy Subfilter + Reclock: With a pre-buffer of 500ms and a maximum latency of 8%, Reclock was able to maintain consistent audio playback of bitstreamed audio +/- 25ms either way. When using Reclock, it is recommended that all audio be converted to PCM over bitstream, but I am unable to notice any difference.

I tried the variants you have, but I am sure I read on a lot of places that Reclock and Passthrough audio is a waste of time. How can it adjust when it can't access it. It basically drops or dupes frames, which you can setup in XBMC.

You can actually use Reclock in XBMC with Dsplayer, but I bitstream, so again pretty pointless.

I suppose, and I have to add myself here, it's all well and good saying XBMC should do this and that, but like we both know MPC-HC needs Reclock as well, so its not just an XBMC issue.

I just reset everything today, changed the change refresh rate to match option, and today it seems fine. Just never know when it is going to start annoying me again.

I agree that PCM audio provides a more stable experience, but adding Reclock to a system that bitstreams does improve the situation. The comparable "sync audio to video clock" in XBMC is not nearly as effective - or in many cases, is ineffective. Reclock does work with bitstreamed audio provided the original refresh rate and playback rate are close. When bitstreamed auido is used, Reclock drops/dupes packets to keep sync with the video clock. Only when too many packets are dropped does playback suffer. With PCM streams, the decoded audio is sped up or slowed down to match the video refresh rate. This is considered the preferred but not the only method of correcting audio playback.

24p playback seems to be a common problem for HTPC's in general. I know Reclock is not a popular option with those obsessed with bitstreaming, but having an option to implement something similar in XBMC would make many people happy. I want smooth 24p playback with accurate audio sync above a pretty picture and bitstreamed logos on my receiver. I have read that Reclock can be configured to work with FFDShow, which makes me wonder if a similar technology could be added to DVD Player. J River Media Center is the only other home theatre backend I'm aware of that has has piggybacked off Reclock's code to create something it calls "Video Clock." With that said, I'd still happily return to DVD Player if the situation was improved. The picture quality differences between MPC-HC are noticeable but negligible.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - ShocWave - 2014-07-23

With the settings posted on the previous pages, the audio delay is much less noticable, but it is still there.
I'm extra sensitive to these things. It's about a 50-100ms delay or so.

Back to the XML file for me Sad
I was really hoping that Gotham would fix this issue.

RE: 24p and audio sync issues - Simkin84 - 2014-07-31

So Gotham have not fixed the 24p audio issue? I tought so. This issue came along with Frodo at some point, so its pathetic they have't figured it out.

I'm still on Frodo and i'll be staying there until i see a reason to upgrade.

I have a 200ms delay on 24p audio and everything is spot on.