Kodi Community Forum
24p and audio sync issues - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 24p and audio sync issues (/showthread.php?tid=80247)

- robl45 - 2011-09-05

the only thing out of sync for me is xvid type movies at 24fps. h264 and x264 mkv etc are perfect. just frustrating to have to avoid xvid files. even when I delay them, its just not quite right.

- meridius - 2011-09-05

robl45 Wrote:the only thing out of sync for me is xvid type movies at 24fps. h264 and x264 mkv etc are perfect. just frustrating to have to avoid xvid files. even when I delay them, its just not quite right.

what gfx card you use and settings in xbmc and driver settings

would like to know thanks

- robl45 - 2011-09-05

meridius Wrote:what gfx card you use and settings in xbmc and driver settings

would like to know thanks

gt430 nvidia card. i use the auto refresh rate option and sync video to display using video clock.

- meridius - 2011-09-06

I think I have solved the problem but need more testing to make sure.

When I reset the pc fully I don't get the problem I think it has somthing to do with xbmc and comming out of sleep mode as it seems to be perfect on a full reset.

Things I am going to try is

Shut down xbmc to desktop and reload and do not reset the computer
Change the order of how I power the amp on and changing the channel to the htpc to see if it's a hdmi edid problem.

I think it's a sleep mode problem to be honest because somtimes I get stuttering video and a reset of the pc or closing down xbmc and reloading it solves it and seems to be the same for my sync problems.

I have seen many posts on hear about sleep mode braking xbmc and also seen a ticket for it but I don't know if this is been sorted as it's been there for a long time and no info has been given on that problem but hope it will be fixed in xbmc 11 which I hope it does.

Wounder if changing sleep mode to hibernate will fix the problem as that shuts the whole computer down fully but means I have to wait for windows and xbmc to load.

A few things to try but I do think it's a sleep problem with xbmc it just does not work to well with it at all

- steelman1991 - 2011-09-06

Nope certainly not my issue - my PC is never on sleep/hibernate or whatever and I still get it.

- robl45 - 2011-09-08

yep me too, I bring the computer downstairs to watch movies, (yes I know I'm insane) so its never sleeping or hibernating.

same problem always with xvid type movies. I try not to use that type as the audio is never quite right. h264 movies work flawlessly. i'm about to see if I can find a converter to convert the stuff to h264 although probably not worth the hassle.

- meridius - 2011-09-08

Hi all

I have done some more testing and for me i think what is causing my problem is that I have 2 profiles.

The first profile is setup for 5.1 amp and the 2nd profile is setup for 2.0 tv stereo. An I think when I switch profiles it might cause this problem as I have left in inthe 5.1 amp profile for a week and have had no problems.

So it's either a xbmc problem with profiles when changing audio settings or somthing to do with the hdmi handshake problem.

The next test is to use optical for 5.1 and then put the hdmi into the tv and switch profiles to see if it happens again if it does this is a xbmc problem if not it will be somthing to do with the hdmi.

I know there is a new Audio engine comming to xbmc and has been greatly updated so I am goingto wait on that release before I do anything as I hope that might fix the problems and I hope it supports hdmi edid as of now it does not seem to as if it did I would not need 2 profiles for different sound options as when i passthrough audio to the amp to the tv when the amp is in standby it still passes 5.1 to the tv which it does not support and I get no sound but on my blu ray player it auto detects this and switches
To stereo.

So will see what happens and also it supported the new hd audios But I am still trying to narrow this problem down.

- robl45 - 2011-09-10

i run optical out for 5.1, I don't do anything with profiles and I have this problem.

- liquidsmoke66 - 2011-09-12

Yeah me too. I run optical all the time as i don't have HDMI connections on my AV receiver. I was actually thinking of getting a receiver with HDMI to try and solve. LOL.

I also sometime find a reboot fixes the sync probs. Sometimes not. I am using MPC-HC, however I think this problem is very similar.

- robl45 - 2011-09-13

liquidsmoke66 Wrote:Yeah me too. I run optical all the time as i don't have HDMI connections on my AV receiver. I was actually thinking of getting a receiver with HDMI to try and solve. LOL.

I also sometime find a reboot fixes the sync probs. Sometimes not. I am using MPC-HC, however I think this problem is very similar.

i had no problems with mpc. only xbmc.

- OffCentre - 2011-09-16

I'm also having this issue. I've got an Asrock ION3D running Windows 7 (32 bit), HDMI out to a Pioneer VSX-1020 AVR and a Panasonic GT30 Plasma. The only way I can get good a/v sync on all video files is to disable the auto adjust refresh rate/sync playback to display and run everything at 60hz. I don't really notice the 3:2 pulldown issue much but it seems a shame to have to turn off a feature which is supposed to make the viewing experience better, when in reality it makes it worse.. Sad

This is my first post here and I'd like to say I think XBMC is great, I've been searching for the best media player software for my Asrock and XBMC beats everything else I've tried hands down! I find it surprising though that this thread has been going on for a year now and there still doesn't seem to be a resolution for this issue...?

- PatrickBateman - 2011-09-16

I too have this problem. I have a pioneer VSX-921-K and when displaying content that is not 60hz (50/24/23) I experience a 0.100/0.200 delay in audio sync.

Is there a way to advise xbmc to add a delay automatically to 24fps etc content and leave 60hz content at 0.00?

This could be added in the advanced settings and would mean I don't have to change the delay manually on every file.

I could set all 23/24hz content to 0.0150ms delay and 50hz content to 0.200ms delay and 60hz content to 0.00ms delay.

Is this possible as it would help, if not do the devs know if this is being looked into for the new release to come.

I use the exact same set up as "off enter"
Win 7
NVIDIA ION
Pioneer VSX-921-K
Connected via HDMI
Connect to a 47" LED/LCD HDMI TV

It's not a show stopper, but it's annoying to say the least that the only refresh rate to not omit a/v sync issues is 60hz... Which is a refresh rate of which none of my blurays are encoded at Oo

- robl45 - 2011-09-16

wow, I notice definate issues when running 24fps material at 60fps. 25fps at 60 is bad enough since my tv doesn't run other modes that will work for that, but 24fps at 60 was horrible, i can barely watch a movie like that.

and you can't just put in a delay as at least with me it works perfect with anything but xvid/divx 24fps material.

- steelman1991 - 2011-09-16

PatrickBateman Wrote:I too have this problem. I have a pioneer VSX-921-K and when displaying content that is not 60hz (50/24/23) I experience a 0.100/0.200 delay in audio sync.

Is there a way to advise xbmc to add a delay automatically to 24fps etc content and leave 60hz content at 0.00?

This could be added in the advanced settings and would mean I don't have to change the delay manually on every file.

I could set all 23/24hz content to 0.0150ms delay and 50hz content to 0.200ms delay and 60hz content to 0.00ms delay.

Is this possible as it would help, if not do the devs know if this is being looked into for the new release to come.

I use the exact same set up as "off enter"
Win 7
NVIDIA ION
Pioneer VSX-921-K
Connected via HDMI
Connect to a 47" LED/LCD HDMI TV

It's not a show stopper, but it's annoying to say the least that the only refresh rate to not omit a/v sync issues is 60hz... Which is a refresh rate of which none of my blurays are encoded at Oo
Wondered how long it would take to see you in this thread Patrick Big Grin

FYI I think the devs are placing their faith in the introduction of the Audio Engine branch - and given my testing on the branch, it would seem well-founded, well for me at least. All audio synch issues I had are remedied on the AE build I'm using. I'm unsure how long until the AE branch hits master, but there are builds avaiable - you know where to look and who's threads to look for - 'the cheerleader' (kudos to clubwerk on the suggestions thread Rofl) will no doubt be along shortly offering his pearls of wisdom Laugh

- robl45 - 2011-09-17

steelman1991 Wrote:Wondered how long it would take to see you in this thread Patrick Big Grin

FYI I think the devs are placing their faith in the introduction of the Audio Engine branch - and given my testing on the branch, it would seem well-founded, well for me at least. All audio synch issues I had are remedied on the AE build I'm using. I'm unsure how long until the AE branch hits master, but there are builds avaiable - you know where to look and who's threads to look for - 'the cheerleader' (kudos to clubwerk on the suggestions thread Rofl) will no doubt be along shortly offering his pearls of wisdom Laugh

actually I don't know where to look, I tried searching but coming up empty, would really like to have a fix for this problem if someone could point me to the place with the build.