Kodi Community Forum
24p and audio sync issues - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: 24p and audio sync issues (/showthread.php?tid=80247)

- robl45 - 2011-10-02

so another observation on this issue. I was playing an h264 movie last night and noticed the audio didn't seem quite right, of course its always fine on h264 movies, so I was like what the heck? this file had 2 sources, stereo and 5.1. I looked at the stats and it was just running up the missed part. I switched to 5.1 and then the missed part stopped. doesn't really make sense to me as it shoudln't be dependent on the audio going through I wouldn't think. but the 2 channel audio going through on the h264 did the same thing that I experience with xvid videos on 5.1, just missed after missed.

- PatrickBateman - 2011-10-03

steelman1991 Wrote:Wondered how long it would take to see you in this thread Patrick Big Grin

FYI I think the devs are placing their faith in the introduction of the Audio Engine branch - and given my testing on the branch, it would seem well-founded, well for me at least. All audio synch issues I had are remedied on the AE build I'm using. I'm unsure how long until the AE branch hits master, but there are builds avaiable - you know where to look and who's threads to look for - 'the cheerleader' (kudos to clubwerk on the suggestions thread Rofl) will no doubt be along shortly offering his pearls of wisdom Laugh

I just got round to reading that and literally lol'd Laugh

Wink

Cheers bro,
I'm hoping the AE and Eden will resolve a few issues for me, I'm happy to wait until December but it's great to see how things are coming along. At least if it's helping you with some issues it will probably help me too Nod

Talk soon bro

- Lincoln1986 - 2011-10-07

Is there anyway to see if youre synced?

and how much the audio is delayed?

Cause im pretty sure i got this problem!

- robl45 - 2011-10-08

Lincoln1986 Wrote:Is there anyway to see if youre synced?

and how much the audio is delayed?

Cause im pretty sure i got this problem!

well you would know if its not synced, its pretty visible, if you hit letter o on the keyboard, it will bring up the details, what the details mean is a mystery to me, maybe someone could shed some light or maybe there is a FAQ somewhere on that?

does everyone sync with video clock? seemed from reading that was the most cleanest way to do it.

- Oletros - 2011-11-03

I have a Zotac motherboard with an nVidia 9400 graphic card, I use Windows 7 32 bit with the latest nVidia drivers and the 10/31 nightly build of XBMC.

I have tried anything, check and uncheck 'adjust refresh rate' and all the other options but the audio in movies (not in TV shows) delay grows during all the play, when I have 20 minutes played the delay is more than 2 second.

Any advice?

- Skram0 - 2011-11-26

Wanton Wrote:I've used xbmc for windows on many different computers and there are sync issues with everyone of them with 24p (and missed count increasing rapidly). All computers had NVidia display adapters.
Only way to watch 24p smoothly on these computers is to install linux dual boot and use xbmc under linux (I used ubuntu desktop).
Cool. So 24p on Linux has no audio sync issues?

- robl45 - 2011-11-26

Only xvid divx movies have problem with sync, mkv h264 play fine, I'm watching thor in 24hz now

- PatrickBateman - 2011-11-26

robl45 Wrote:Only xvid divx movies have problem with sync, mkv h264 play fine, I'm watching thor in 24hz now

I've got issues with mkv 24hz material and most other material is ok Huh

My main issue is with DTS on 24p content? 200ms delay or so... But when I set it to 60hz.... No dealy?

It's a weird issue this one?

- robl45 - 2011-11-26

PatrickBateman Wrote:I've got issues with mkv 24hz material and most other material is ok Huh

My main issue is with DTS on 24p content? 200ms delay or so... But when I set it to 60hz.... No dealy?

It's a weird issue this one?

i have the standard settings. sync to video clock and change display refresh rate like most people i think. xvid were bad usually, i think depending on the audio used, they might be a little better, but usually delayed pretty well. x264, h264 and really anything other than xvid plays fine for me regardless of the audio type. pretty much all of my stuff is 24p.

the new leaked build with audio engine or whatever it is I have been using for a while. that one works better for xvid type movies, they are still not quite right but not bad enough that watching it is a chore.

funny thing is, i downloaded roary the race car for my kid and we were watching on the new build I normally use and it was a disaster with the audio, off by seconds. loaded up the old version and it was dead on.

- mrkmmix - 2011-12-07

I'm just curious .. is there any known hardware configuration that was tested and does actually WORK ? Meaning that audio will be in sync for all the formats.

- robl45 - 2011-12-26

is this ever going to be fixed? I watched a movie today on the new beta build, it performs similarly to the audio engine build I was using. the audio is not quite right, slight ahead or behind. noticable enough to be annoying.

I switched and played it in mpc-hc, audio sync was dead on perfect. so why can't xbmc handle this?

I don't understand it for the life of me, this is an xvid file, I tried another file that is h264 and the audio is perfect.

EDIT: does AMD do this right? I"m about to chuck the gt430 as this has cost me at least 5 plus hours of straight troubleshooting time and its really frustrating.

- steelman1991 - 2011-12-27

Save your cash. The same problem exists with ATI and as reported previously it happens with all file types.

- robl45 - 2011-12-27

steelman1991 Wrote:Save your cash. The same problem exists with ATI and as reported previously it happens with all file types.

well i don't know how people are having it with all file types, its very distinctly on xvid for me, i tried h264 with dolby digital and with aac, both are perfectly in sync with audio.

mpc-hc is perfectly in sync with the audio on files this thing can't handle, its obviously an xbmc issue, is there a place we should report it or something? i much prefer to use xbmc for so many different reasons.

- davilla - 2011-12-27

avi and derivative containers are junk, they need to die in a fire.

- steelman1991 - 2011-12-27

robl45 Wrote:well i don't know how people are having it with all file types, its very distinctly on xvid for me, i tried h264 with dolby digital and with aac, both are perfectly in sync with audio.

mpc-hc is perfectly in sync with the audio on files this thing can't handle, its obviously an xbmc issue, is there a place we should report it or something? i much prefer to use xbmc for so many different reasons.
I think you'll find that the problem is more inherent as a result of the fps being used rather than the container - anything outside of 24fps works perfectly in sync, outside of that there is a delay - mostly reported at around the 200 - 250 ms mark.