Kodi Community Forum
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker (/showthread.php?tid=80829)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- HarryRosen - 2011-06-13

I did this to mount my WHS properly

//192.168.3.10/Thumbnails /media/thumbs cifs username=yourusername,password=yourpassword,uid=1000

just put in a user and pass that has access to that share it should mount.

the only problem i had was that since the thumbnails aren't stored on the local machine xbmc would crash when i started scanning new items. haven't figured out why yet. I am using the latest nightly

- jtheilbrun - 2011-06-13

So I set everything up according to the LH guide. When I try importing the library it goes through and seems to be importing it, but when it finishes I have no buttons on the home screen for "Movies" or "TV Shows". I can only access my files through the Video/File menu. I have tried re-adding the sources and that doesn't seem to help. I also try to set the content and it doesn't seem to save what I set it too.

My files are hosted on a WHS box across 3 different HDD, I'm sure I need to change something but I'm not sure what.

Edit: After checking the log it doesn't seem to be able to access the MySQL server. I have opened all the ports on the server and also the Zotac box. I've also turned off the firewall and still the same problem.

Edit 2: I'm not sure why it works now. What I did was installed XBMC on my netbook, put the advancedsettings.xml in the proper place added a source and it worked perfectly. I then went to my other installs re-added the .xml file and they worked perfectly.

- Xenomes - 2011-06-17

clambert Wrote:....
Code:
root@XBMCLive:/home/clambert# mount -a
[mntent]: warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/fstab
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

Any ideas? The Thumbnails share on my WHS (192.168.3.10) seems to be fine.

HarryRosen Wrote:I did this to mount my WHS properly

//192.168.3.10/Thumbnails /media/thumbs cifs username=yourusername,password=yourpassword,uid=1000

just put in a user and pass that has access to that share it should mount.

This is wat I use in my fstab file.
Code:
//192.168.1.5/Public/xbmc/Thumbnails   /media/thumbs  cifs  username=XXX,password=XXX,uid=1000

I use a directory in a share.

- clambert - 2011-06-17

Thanks HarryRosen & Xenomes for the Thumbnail guidance. I'm hoping to tackle it this weekend when I finally have some free time. I'll let you know how I make out.

- clambert - 2011-06-19

clambert Wrote:Thanks HarryRosen & Xenomes for the Thumbnail guidance. I'm hoping to tackle it this weekend when I finally have some free time. I'll let you know how I make out.

You guys rock! Using the username and password worked just fine. Early tests show no lag. I have more of a lag with the fanart showing up than the thumbnails.

EDIT: There doesn't appear to be a lag what-so-ever on the Windows 7 boxes loading the fanart. I'm willing to bet it's because of the SMB speed issues in Ubuntu. I really need to sit down get NFS running. The performance is supposed to be a lot better.

- reksveks - 2011-06-19

Does anyone know if this will work with multiple XBMC users/profiles ?

i should add what i mean ; would it work sync-ing what one user has watched or not or how far along a movie one user is instead of the others

- thadiyan - 2011-06-20

I just read this post today and further got started using XBMC earlier today. I have it now installed on 2 of my Windows 7 running Windows Media Center(as a DVR) with all the content and mysql hosted on my good ol' HP Ex485 Windows Home Server.

I am just running into one issue. I notice the bookmark table is correctly being updated, but the one issue I have is some files saves the "resume" time properly and some of them don't. If I force it to save using "bookmarks", I notice that there is a column called "type" which is set to either 0 or 1, the value of 1 being the "resume" value as defined below.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=The_XBMC_Database#bookmark

The question I have is what determines the value of column "type"'s value to be 0 or 1? I am perplexed. Ideally I would like it to be 1 across the board and I have definitely set the Resume Playback(one of the options in Settings) to "Resume".

I have turned on debuging, and I don't see any obvious issues?

Does anybody have any ideas?

TIA,
thadiyan

- clambert - 2011-06-20

thadiyan Wrote:I am just running into one issue. I notice the bookmark table is correctly being updated, but the one issue I have is some files saves the "resume" time properly and some of them don't. If I force it to save using "bookmarks", I notice that there is a column called "type" which is set to either 0 or 1, the value of 1 being the "resume" value as defined below.

I'm not sure I understand you 100% but realize in order to index the resume point the show or movie must actually be stopped. Pausing it will not create the index.

I may have misunderstood what you are stating but I thought I would throw it out there just in case.

- thadiyan - 2011-06-20

Unfortunately I did stop it.

- Sparhawk1995 - 2011-06-23

akira6968 Wrote:It might be a lil more complicated for me, I've got a weird setup.
PC's: 1xWin2k8 1xWin2k3 9xWin7 (4 Game PC's, 2 Laptops, HTPC, Music server, Game server).

With a domain setup, each person that logs in has login scripts. I have XBMC set up on two servers, one that scrapes all movies and one that scrapes only PG13 movies (I'm organized lol). So when my kids log in, a script runs that copies the userdata folder from the server that scrapes PG13 movies. Of course this overwrites all the 'watched' checks and 'start from' points Sad

Hopefully I can figure out how to use the MySQL, and the local-scrape setup, AND still make it always copy the interface setup. This way if I log onto a PC for the first time, when I open XBMC it will only show 'Movies', 'TV Shows', and 'Settings', instead of the default 'Videos', 'Weather', etc.

XBMC is so awesome, and so are all you guys for all the help XD

Sounds like you have a set up similar to mine.. What I ended up doing for mine was to set up separate DB's.. xbmc_video_adults/xbmc_video_kids.. when the kids log in the script copies down their userdata settings, but I have separate advancedsettings.xml files that point to the different DB's.. got stuck having to set up to Thumbnail shares though, scripting the change in the folder link in their userdata folders was a pain..

- mrdally204 - 2011-06-24

Hi guys and gals,
I'm looking for a bit of help figuring out where my speed problem is coming from. I have successfully set up the database and everything is functioning as expected, including thumbnail shares. Apon first load, I have the recently added movies,episodes display and they load up with no hesitation. My issue comes when I click on my movie library. I have aprox 200 movies on my main xbmc player/server windows 7 64 sharing via SMB. when I click on the movies link, it takes aproximately 10 seconds before the thumbnails show up, then another 10 seconds (with the working animation moving for about 6 secs then freeze) before I can move about my library. Once the initial wait is over, the images, fanart ect work like its a local machine, so I assume it is mysql causing the issue. I have troubleshot with firewall disabled on both machines with no change. The only change to the sql ini I made was adding skip_name_resolve which was supposed to help the problem, but no luck. I have also created indexes, per another post to try and help, listed below. I have also attached the pastebin of my current sql ini in hopes that something sticks out. Please give me some idea as to how to make things just work (:

Using the latest stable release, windows 7
The issue is only present on the remote xbmc install. The main unit with sql, thumbs share, and movies/shows have 0 lag when using sql setup.
Home network, I am usually connected via N wireless on remote system, but have tested hardwired as well (100). Main server is hardwired as well(100).
I have looked at the log file but do not see anything that would explain the hit in performance. Thanks for reading!

Indexes Used Wrote:use xbmc_video;
ALTER TABLE movie ADD INDEX ix_idFile(idFile);
ALTER TABLE movie ADD INDEX idMovie(idMovie);
ALTER TABLE movie ADD INDEX idFile(idFile);
use xbmc_music;
CREATE INDEX test_idx ON song(idAlbum);
alter table song add index idArtist(idArtist);
alter table song add index idGenre(idGenre);

my.ini

And how about a video showing the delay

EDIT - Hopefully someone can help me sort this out, but I got to thinking. Would it be possible to have a centralized "addons" folder as well. I know it is not that much of a pain, bit it would be neat to set it and forget it. Having the same thing everywhere without having to think would be swell

- reblutus - 2011-06-24

Hello everyone. I finally got to the end of this thread Eek and found no solution for my problem. Every details are here in this thread

Basically, I have nothing in my video library because it wont scrape at all. Also the set as viewed flag doesn't work.

I see that there is many people it does work and I am sad it doesn't for me.

Any help is really appreciated.

UPDATE: I found my problem which was a bad config in my.cnf. It seems on my version of mysql utf-8 is the default, so I had to force latin1 in the [mysqld] section

here is my my.cnf

By the way, I add my voice for the group who would like to have the utf-8 support since I've got a lot of french movies with special characters. I may also add another argument in favor of utf-8 is that latin1 doesn't support curly quotes which is set by default in office word. It was a nightmare at work until I changed everything to utf-8.

Cheers

- sbentin - 2011-06-25

I was very happy to find out I can do this, but after long hours of trying it is just a big disappointment.
I just can't get this to work for me. Don't understand why and the behavior is weird.

I have read through all the pages, some of the problems were similar to mine but the solutions don't work for me.

I set everything up according to the instructions. The only thing different is that I had mysql 5.1 already installed and it includes other schemas and users for other applications. The db character settings are latin1.
When I import the db from the export what I get is 'path' table looks changed but missing scraper info on rows, 'tvshow' table seems fine. movies are not loaded nor are tv episodes.

When I add a scraper to a path, it is added in the db, however if I look again through xbmc it seems not to read the data from the db and the scraper is empty for the path. Basically I can't even test adding a new movie entry because there is no scraper and no way to configure it.

I've tested this on several directories on local path and smb path. Nothing works. I've also tested this on several different versions of xbmc from 10.1 and up.

This should be a very simple task and yet it seems very unstable and complicated.

Any other ideas?

- thadiyan - 2011-06-25

The one thing that is not clear in the lifehacker post is whether you need to add the source once again in all your various XBMC instances.

My set up involved running XBMC in 3 Windows 7 hosts and 1 Mac OS host. The copying of the advanced settings followed by the addition of sources explicitly defined helped me out.

Example : smb://userid@passwd/Movies rather than smb://Movies which would work just fine in the Windows hosts.

sbentin Wrote:I was very happy to find out I can do this, but after long hours of trying it is just a big disappointment.
I just can't get this to work for me. Don't understand why and the behavior is weird.

I have read through all the pages, some of the problems were similar to mine but the solutions don't work for me.

I set everything up according to the instructions. The only thing different is that I had mysql 5.1 already installed and it includes other schemas and users for other applications. The db character settings are latin1.
When I import the db from the export what I get is 'path' table looks changed but missing scraper info on rows, 'tvshow' table seems fine. movies are not loaded nor are tv episodes.

When I add a scraper to a path, it is added in the db, however if I look again through xbmc it seems not to read the data from the db and the scraper is empty for the path. Basically I can't even test adding a new movie entry because there is no scraper and no way to configure it.

I've tested this on several directories on local path and smb path. Nothing works. I've also tested this on several different versions of xbmc from 10.1 and up.

This should be a very simple task and yet it seems very unstable and complicated.

Any other ideas?

- Jete246 - 2011-06-26

I'm having problems with setting up a library with MySQL. The database doesn't want to populate. The scrape process doesn't seem to be able to write to the database. I have followed the tutorial word by word, but it's not working. I'm using the latest stable version of XBMC and MySQL server for Windows (running Win7 x64).This is what I did:

- Install XBMC
- Installed MySQL server for Windows
- Added the databases and user + grant permissions as per the tutorial
- Verified the xbmc_video and xbmc_music databases excist
- Verified that the user xbmc has wildcard permissions
- Added the advancedsettings.xml to:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata

With the following contents:

<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.5</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
<name>xbmc_video</name>
</videodatabase>
<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.1.5</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
<name>xbmc_music</name>
</musicdatabase>
</advancedsettings>

192.168.1.5 is the address of the local host which has the MySQL server running. I also tried: localhost, 127.0.0.1 and the machine's netbiosname.

- When I start XBMC after having configured MySQL, the xbmc_video database gets populated with the various tables. I then add a source in XBMC which is a folder that has a couple of TV shows just for testing purposes, called: c:\test
- I then choose the TVDB scraper and then it just doesn't do anything. The source is added, but nothing is added to the library. I can confirm this as I can't enable 'library mode' and a 'select' on the 'tvshow' table shows it's empty.

I can confirm that my folder and files have the proper naming conventions, as I have tried using the default XBMC library database (i.e: not MySQL) and then the scraper does its work and creates a library, thus allowing me to enable 'library mode'.

I've turned on debugging in XBMC and this is what I get when I add a source:

Quote:9:29:08 T:3628 M:2853249024 DEBUG: Mysql execute: update path set strContent = '', strScraper='', strHash='',strSettings='',useFolderNames=0,scanRecursive=0 where strPath like '%c:\\test\\%'

19:29:08 T:3628 M:2853244928 DEBUG: Mysql execute: insert into path (idPath, strPath, strContent, strScraper) values (NULL,'c:\\test\\','','')

19:29:08 T:3628 M:2853232640 ERROR: SQL: Undefined MySQL error: Code (1062)

Query: insert into path (idPath, strPath, strContent, strScraper) values (NULL,'c:\\test\\','','')

19:29:08 T:3628 M:2853208064 ERROR: CVideoDatabase::AddPath unable to addpath (insert into path (idPath, strPath, strContent, strScraper) values (NULL,'c:\\test\\','',''))

I've already tried beginning from scratch, i.e: uninstalling XBMC, XBMC's userdata, MySQL and MYSQL's userdata. I even tried this on another 'clean' machine and I get exactly the same issue.

Can anyone help please? I've been at this all day now and I'm losing my mind here...this is so frustrating... Sad