Kodi Community Forum
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker (/showthread.php?tid=80829)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

symlink help needed - hori - 2011-06-29

hi guys,
i´m new to this forum, so hi to all forum members Big Grin

tried to realize this synchronization guide from lifehacker.
i have a NAS, one XBMC on win7 and one XBMC Live on a Zotac Box.
i created a MYSQL-Database on the NAS and inserted the advancedettings.mxl for using the database on both machines which worked fine. Rolleyes

then i tried the thumbnail sharing. created a dir called "Thumbnails" on the root of my NAS. the symlink on the XBMC/win7 was no problem.

but i´m struggling on creating the symlink on the XBMC/live machine Sad
i´m a total linux newbie, so i can´t get it working.

i´m connected with my NAS via SMB on both machines. maybe there´s a better option like NFS Huh
for the access to my NAS, i need a username & password.

tried a lot of tipps in the web, but couldn`t get it working
maybe some linux-pro in this forum may help me to solve this Nod

thanks in advance,
hori Big Grin

- Jete246 - 2011-06-29

mrdally204 Wrote:Jete,
Actually you have my info a bit backwards. I am still using the networked mysql database, but switched to local thumbs folder, and the speed was as if everything was local. It is when the symlink thumbs are being used is when the slow downs happen. The slowdown is also present after I watch a movie, when it tries to load back the thumbs and fan art.

Also, that is confluence in the video (:

I do appreciate the thoughts as I need to get this licked or am going to have to go back to the old way of doing things, which is not very nerdy at all!

Oh yes, I understand that is your current issue. But because you mentioned this before:

mrdally204 Wrote:I disabled symlink and went back to original thumbs and the speed was as fast as before MySQL was set up, so it is not MySQL causing the slow downs

Which led me to believe that before you setup the library with MySQL, you had two instances of XBMC running locally on two different machines, but had already shared the thumbnails over the network.

If that's the case, then the problem could be related to how MySQL interacts with the thumbs cache. That's what I was getting at.

Is that Confluence? You're must be running a nightly build then? Perhaps this is an issue with the nightly build. You could try using the latest stable version and see how that goes.

- mrdally204 - 2011-06-29

Sorry for the confusion. I am only running one instance of XBMC on the client machine. I was simply stating that once the thumbs were accessed locally, it was full speed so I was eliminating mysql as the issue, at least in my mind.

As for the build, it is the latest stable 10.1 build, confluence skin. I think you are a bit confused because it is showing the latest added movies/episodes on the main screen? I disabled that for chance but no luck lol. I'm going to sit on it a few days here and hope something comes to mind. Ideas are welcome still THANKS!

- Jete246 - 2011-06-29

hori Wrote:hi guys,
i´m new to this forum, so hi to all forum members Big Grin

tried to realize this synchronization guide from lifehacker.
i have a NAS, one XBMC on win7 and one XBMC Live on a Zotac Box.
i created a MYSQL-Database on the NAS and inserted the advancedettings.mxl for using the database on both machines which worked fine. Rolleyes

then i tried the thumbnail sharing. created a dir called "Thumbnails" on the root of my NAS. the symlink on the XBMC/win7 was no problem.

but i´m struggling on creating the symlink on the XBMC/live machine Sad
i´m a total linux newbie, so i can´t get it working.

i´m connected with my NAS via SMB on both machines. maybe there´s a better option like NFS Huh
for the access to my NAS, i need a username & password.

tried a lot of tipps in the web, but couldn`t get it working
maybe some linux-pro in this forum may help me to solve this Nod

thanks in advance,
hori Big Grin
I'm not using Linux myself for accessing thumbs, but I think the conventional/easiest way is as followed:

1. Mount the Samba share containing the thumbnails of your NAS on your client machine

2. Point the symbolic link on your client machine to the mounted Samba share on your client machine

3. Add a mount entry in your /etc/fstab so that your client machine will automatically mount the Samba share on startup.

So for example:

1. Create a folder on your client machine called: /media/NAS (this will be your so called ('mountpoint')
2. Mount the Samba share of your NAS on the folder (mount point) /media/NAS

(so now when you navigate to /media/NAS on your client machine, you will actually navigate to the thumbs share on your NAS)

3. Create the symlink called ' Thumbnails' in your XBMC user folder on your client machine to point to the /media/NAS folder.

To mount a Samba share with user credentials and have it mounted at startup:
http://www.maenad.net/geek/di8k-debian/node13.html

To create a symbolic link (scroll down for Ubuntu/Linux):
http://www.contentwhores.com/wordpress/?page_id=412

- Jete246 - 2011-06-29

mrdally204 Wrote:Sorry for the confusion. I am only running one instance of XBMC on the client machine. I was simply stating that once the thumbs were accessed locally, it was full speed so I was eliminating mysql as the issue, at least in my mind.

As for the build, it is the latest stable 10.1 build, confluence skin. I think you are a bit confused because it is showing the latest added movies/episodes on the main screen? I disabled that for chance but no luck lol. I'm going to sit on it a few days here and hope something comes to mind. Ideas are welcome still THANKS!

No sorry, I'm the one confusing you now. With "two local instances" I meant to say that before, you were running XBMC with it's own library on one machine, and XBMC with it's own library on another machine, but that you were sharing the same Thumbnails folder beween the two. Atleast, that was the assumption I made.

I hope that makes sense, if not...just ignore me as I'm probably just confusing you even more...haha! Laugh

I'm also using the latest XBMC stable with the Confluence skin, and it looks way different than mine...I must be mixing things up there as well. Anyways, hope you get things sorted out soon!

- mrdally204 - 2011-06-29

The 2 machines were at one time independently updated and such, meaning they both had their own thumbs ect. All I did was shared the servers original thumbs folder. On the client machine, renamed its original thumbs (B) to something else, then symlinked to the servers shared. So when it came to testing, all I did was delete the symlink, and renamed (B) to its original folder, thus restoring local thumbs to the client machine. Bla!

I just ran it again with debugging on if anyone cares to look at it. I believe the DB query starts around 418.
Significant numbers I see are
Time for actual SQL query = 348
Time to retrieve movies from dataset = 5912
SMH
http://pastebin.com/PK68j5YK

- NorDemoniac - 2011-06-29

Please excuse me if this has been answered before;

I have set up a WHS 2011 server containing all the media + Ember & MIP as Media Managers. They do now have covers, fanart etc. for all my movies. I've also set up a MySQL database, which is working.

My problem;

- The first client is connected normally, adding sources etc, and it scrapes from the WHS 2011 server. Everything is there, everything is working (NICE Nod)
- The second client is missing all the cover art + thumbnails. If I right click a movie, click information, then go back again the cover appears! The fanart is there, and also the description But I can't do this manually on all those movies on several clients - then the whole point is gone. All my TV-show banners were also gone, but they suddenly appeared after watching a couple of shows(Huh). The season covers are still gone - well, they got replaced by the banner somehow, which looks awful. All thumbnails missing (it has got a random image from the show...)

My theory;
- XBMC still store thumbnails and covers locally. Even though Media Manager has got all the information stored on my servers drive (fanart etc), XBMC needs to download these from my server and put the information in the Thumbnails file in Userdata (except fanart). Meaning that the client doing the scraping will get the information in thumbnail, which again means that even though I use a media manager to store the data on the server, I will still need a thumbnail share with symbolic links to get the covers and thumbnails correctly on all clients.

This would mean scraping with one computer, move thumbnails over to a share on the server, then create a shortcut on all clients, even though I have Media Managers scraping for me...right?

Can someone please clear this up for me? Reading lifehackers guide made Media Managers seem like an alternative for the symbolic links.

- RockDawg - 2011-06-29

NorDemoniac Wrote:Can someone please clear this up for me? Reading lifehackers guide made Media Managers seem like an alternative for the symbolic links.

You must have symlinks or something equivalent for you artwork to work properly across multiple machines. Read my last post and it explains why. You must have the Thumbnail folder from all your XBMC's pointing to the same Thumbnail folder. Otherwise when you update the library, only the machine you performed the update on will show the artwork.

Quote:The thumbnails directory is where XBMC looks for covers/thumbs for all the media it displays. When you scan content in to your library, XBMC either scrapes the artwork from the net or reads it from a file in your movie folder and then puts a copy in the thumbnails folder. From there on out it will retrieve the image from the thumbnails directory, not the file in your movie folder.

In other words, I'm right in my last post?
Even though media manager has downloaded all the information on my server, XBMC will ONLY get this information while doing the initial scraping, and store it locally, meaning the other clients which doesn't scrape (because it's already in the library) will not get their correct covers + thumbs.
So - Lifehacker is a bit wrong when they write their article like the Media Manager being an alternative to creating a share for Thumbnails?

So the only thing I now have to do, is to copy out the thumbnails from the "perfectly working" client to the server, and then setup a share + shortcuts, and everyone's happy?

- RockDawg - 2011-06-29

NorDemoniac Wrote:In other words, I'm right in my last post?
Even though media manager has downloaded all the information on my server, XBMC will ONLY get this information while doing the initial scraping,and store it locally, meaning the other clients which doesn't scrape (because it's already in the library) will not get their correct covers + thumbs.

Correct.

Quote:So - Lifehacker is a bit wrong when they write their article like the Media Manager being an alternative to creating a share for Thumbnails?

I don't know, I didn't read their article.

Quote:So the only thing I now have to do, is to copy out the thumbnails from the "perfectly working" client to the server, and then setup a share + shortcuts, and everyone's happy?

Yes, if by shortcuts you mean symlinks. If I remember correctly, you need to delete or rename the existing Thumbnail folder on each machine before creating the symilinks or they won't be created.

Update - I read a bit about this now, and could see that symlinks and shortcuts are absolutely not the same. Symlinking is kinda like making a folder, which is acting like normal local folder, but in reality you're saving on another directory (including network) right?

Btw. this is from Lifehacker:
Quote:One current shortcoming with the database system—although rumored to be in the pipe for future releases—is that thumbnails and fanart are cached locally and not stored with the database. While creative users in the XBMC forums have come up with solutions to work around this like using symbolic links and moving your thumbnail cache, there is a much easier solution. We'd strongly recommend you go check out our guide to whipping your movie and TV show art into shape for XBMC.

Very confusing!

Anyways; I will create the symlinks, or shortcuts...or whatever, and see if that solves the problem.

Thank you for your help! This has cleared up a couple of things for me (and hopefully for others...)

- NorDemoniac - 2011-06-30

Moved the Thumbnails folder from the working client to a share on the server, then created a simple batch script that created a symlink + advancedsettings.XML. Ran the script on all clients, everything is now perfect!

- kiboy6 - 2011-07-05

Is there any reason not to just create a symbolic link to the main machine's Appdata folder for all machines on the network? (ie not bothering with MySQL at all)

This works just fine for me, albeit with a noticeable slow down. Would the slow down be avoided if I went down the MySQL route? Or is that inevitable if sharing a large database with 100s of images over the network?

- clambert - 2011-07-05

Oddly enough after sharing the Thumbnails on my WHS server, I have been having random issue where the show or movie just stops. Sometimes by itself but more often after I pause it or bring up the info during playback. I need to resume playback to continue where I left off.

Not sure why this would be affecting anything. It's happening on the two boxes I touched (Windows 7 & Ubuntu). Seems like a coincidence that it started happening after I made the change but it could be unrelated. I'm going to revert one of them back and see what happens.

Anyone else have this issue happen to them?

- Xenomes - 2011-07-06

@clambert
I have the issue to, but only at pause and only on my Linux system.