Kodi Community Forum
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker (/showthread.php?tid=80829)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- Klyde - 2011-11-17

Hopefully this is the right log file

thanks for the help

- darkscout - 2011-11-17

Code:
MySQL error: Code (1062)

That's a new one.

- Finchy - 2011-11-25

dsimages Wrote:this is what i did to get mine working.... Im on openelec though. I believe its dharma 10.1

You need to make sure your firewall has whatever port your using open, then flush privledges on the mysql, then grant all on.
http://openelec.tv/forum/14-general-help-and-support/15344-mysql-not-working

I've been away but am trying to do this again but am still having problems getting it to work. MySQL is definately installed as I can access it with SQLyog installed on my Home Server. However, when XBMC runs it's just hanging, and if I try to connect to SQLyog from my PC it won't connect. Are there any specific user accounts and/or permissions I need to grant to give access? Or is it something else I'm doing wrong? Sad

- darkscout - 2011-11-26

Well. What does your DEBUG LOG SAY?

- Finchy - 2011-11-26

How do I find that? I have very limited knowledge of SQL, btw! Big Grin

- darkscout - 2011-11-26

It has nothing to do with SQL.

Search for 'debug log' and xbmc.

- Methanoid - 2011-11-26

I had major problems with this all working UNTIL i added this to the INI file for MySQL

(add to mysqld section)
skip-name-resolve

It would take 40 seconds or more to boot from the XBMC screen and twenty seconds between keypresses.

The other thing was to grant permissions in SQL but ALLOW XBMC to create the DBs.

Hope that helps someone!

- Finchy - 2011-11-26

Thanks for the replies guys. I am very inexperienced with SQL so you'll have to bear with me!

darkscout Wrote:It has nothing to do with SQL.

Search for 'debug log' and xbmc.

But if SQLyog can connect to the SQL when installed on the WHS but not when installed on another PC doesn't that suggest there is a problem with SQL? I'd have thought I need to make sure I have a connection to it before looking at other causes?

Methanoid Wrote:I had major problems with this all working UNTIL i added this to the INI file for MySQL

(add to mysqld section)
skip-name-resolve

It would take 40 seconds or more to boot from the XBMC screen and twenty seconds between keypresses.

The other thing was to grant permissions in SQL but ALLOW XBMC to create the DBs.

Hope that helps someone!

My problem isn't how slow it it, I've not got that far yet! As far as I can detect, mine just doesn't connect to the SQL at all. In SQLyog locally I can see all the tables and have granted priveledges to xbmc user in the User Manager, but when I try to connect with SQLyog from another PC I get error 10060, which means it's not connecting.

I've run netstat from CMD on the WHS and that says port 3306 is listening on that machine. I don't know how to change MySQL to allow remote connections, can anyone advise?

- darkscout - 2011-11-26

You apparently have it all figured out. So don't listen to what people that have been debugging this stuff for nearly the entire thread need to debug your connection.

What privileges did you give the new user? Root by default can only connect from localhost.

- Finchy - 2011-11-26

Ah, I didn't know that, I have mostly been trying to connect with root. I have also tried with the username xbmc and it won't connect, and I've just created another user to try and that won't either.

I'm not sure if I'm getting myself confused.... Is there an easy way to test from my laptop if it can get a response from the MySQL server? I have created an in and outbound rule to allow access to port 3306 but I'm not convinced it's open. Probably a daft question, but presumably I need to open that port on each Windows PC I intend using as well?

- Finchy - 2011-11-26

Ooh! Ooh! Progress! I uninstalled the WPI version of MySQL and installed the latest version. It gave me more options for configuring and I can now connect remotely. XBMC is responding now so I'll see if it's worked.

Thanks, I may be back.....!

- Finchy - 2011-11-27

Sorry, can I clarify about the thumbnail syncing....

The way I have mine set up is that all media is on my Windows Home Server. On that I use Ember Media Manager to keep the nfo, thumbs and artwork organised in the relevant movies' folder before I let XBMC pick up new movies so I have control over the artwork and nfo data. Do I still need to set up a way of sinking artwork as well? Or will each device still pick them up from the media folders because they're already stored centrally?

- Finchy - 2011-11-27

OK, so two Windows 7 PC syncing fine, but I'm struggling with the Apple TV2. Can anyone help?

I have SSH'd in with WinSCP and copied over the advancedsettings.xml with the following into the folder /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata

PHP Code:
<advancedsettings>
        <
videodatabase>
            <
type>mysql</type>
            <
host>192.168.0.4</host>
            <
port>3306</port>
            <
user>xbmc</user>
            <
pass>xbmc</pass>
            <
name>xbmc_video</name>
        </
videodatabase

<
musicdatabase>
            <
type>mysql</type>
            <
host>192.168.0.4</host>
            <
port>3306</port>
            <
user>xbmc</user>
            <
pass>xbmc</pass>
            <
name>xbmc_music</name>
        </
musicdatabase>

<
pathsubstitution>
  <
substitute>
    <
from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>

<to>\\HOMESERVER\XBMCthumbnails</to>
  </
substitute>
</
pathsubstitution>
    </
advancedsettings

When I open up XBMC it doesn't bring up the sync'd database and just lists a couple of folder I had previously added. Any ideas why it's not picking it up? 192.168.0.4 is a Windows Home Server 2011.... should I include the network name instead of the IP address?

- chrissbu - 2011-12-13

Finchy Wrote:Sorry, can I clarify about the thumbnail syncing....

The way I have mine set up is that all media is on my Windows Home Server. On that I use Ember Media Manager to keep the nfo, thumbs and artwork organised in the relevant movies' folder before I let XBMC pick up new movies so I have control over the artwork and nfo data. Do I still need to set up a way of sinking artwork as well? Or will each device still pick them up from the media folders because they're already stored centrally?

From what I understand, even if you've used other tools for scraping metadata for the content, XBMC will still cache the thumbnails into a common thumbnail directory.

I'm having a problem getting the path substitution to work at all. I've created a folder on //jeeves/videos/XBMCThumbs, and added the code for the path substitution, but XBMC is still leaving the thumbnails on a local drive. I've tried

Code:
<pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
    <to>smb://jeeves/videos/XBMCThumbs</to>
  </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

as well as

Code:
<pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
    <to>//jeeves/videos/XBMCThumbs</to>
  </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

but nether seem to work. One thing I found is that I'm not running one of the nightlies...I'm using the main release. I will look at updating to one of the nightlies if that might take care of it.

- Finchy - 2011-12-13

AFAIK, pathsubstitution is not support in Dharma so whatever you try it won't cache the thumbnails.

I'm still unable to get mine syncing with MySQL. However, after much frustration I have realised that syncing works fine for me with Dharma but won't work at all with the pre-Eden nightlies, either on my ATV2 or Windows, and whether I include the thumbs path sub or not. This explains why I had so much hair pulling with not getting the ATV2 working! Very frustrating!

Does anyone know if I have to do anything dirrerent with the MySQL server to get it working with the nightlies? I have also tried it now with MySQL installed on my QNAP NAS but that has the same problem (ie works with Dharma but not the nightlies), so I presume my MySQL servers are functioning properly.

I've been posting in the iOS thread for advice but now I've detected it's not a problem with the ATV I thought I'd come back here! My posts are in this - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114017&page=6

Thanks! Sad