Kodi Community Forum
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker (/showthread.php?tid=80829)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- {{INX}} - 2012-01-13

I have rebuilt my complete xbmc setup from scratch today including the mysql database. Now I have 3 profiles, the database is still updating for the main account as there is so much to scan.
Is there a way to copy the main mysql database and rename for my kids accounts to save me scanning everything in again two more times?

- TeKo - 2012-01-14

So I should get my SSD tomorrow and I want to start a new db.
Anyone got it working with latest XBMC and MySQL?

Iam running Win7x64.

I had so many problems with the db and the advancedsettings.

- {{INX}} - 2012-01-14

TeKo Wrote:So I should get my SSD tomorrow and I want to start a new db.
Anyone got it working with latest XBMC and MySQL?

Iam running Win7x64.

I had so many problems with the db and the advancedsettings.

I have exactly the same, ssd, MYSQL, Win7x64 (Server and htpc's) and so far all is working peachy with Eden.

I just need someone to answer my question from above your post Smile

- TeKo - 2012-01-14

Do you use the name tag in the advancedsettings?
Or could you just post the xml you are using?

I dont really understand the question, why do you want to copy the DB, I thought thats why you use mysql so you have 1 DB for every PC.

- {{INX}} - 2012-01-14

<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.0.104</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
<name>xbmc_ian_video</name>
</videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.0.104</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
<name>xbmc_ian_music</name>
</musicdatabase>

<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>smb://Home-Server/Software/Applications/HTPC/XBMC/_Shared/thumbnails</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

</advancedsettings>

As far as the databases go, I have 3 profiles (1 for me and the wife, 2 for the kids). I have just rescanned all the info from fresh and need to do the same for the kids databases, so instead of scanning it all again for both of there profiles, I thought it would be a lot easier to copy the new database twice and rename them because all profiles share the same thumbnails and sources.

- TeKo - 2012-01-14

But its still the same server?

Maybe connect with sth like HeidiSQL then copy the video db and rename it, cant try this atm.

Btw steps to set up the db?

Install, Run config wizard (anything at default), create user done? Or do I have to create the db manually?

- Blaxxor - 2012-01-19

I'm curious about Eden. Today Im using Dharma 10.1 with library shared on three PC's with SQL.

How do I upgrade? Do I just install Eden beta over my current setup and everything works?

//Stellan

- kmusk01 - 2012-01-24

So I have this working and syncing with all my Win 7 machines in the house (3)
Now I just bought an ATV2 and already jailbroke it and have Eden Beta 2 installed. I can look at the log file on the ATV2 and it shows a different data base for video and movie. I really do not want to upgrade my other 3 machines to Eden as everything is working perfectly.

So my question is can I run Dharma on my other 3 boxes and Eden Beta 2 on the ATV2 and get them all to sync? If so what do I need to change in the MYSQL database?

I did upgrade my main machine a few wks back to Eden Beta 1, and lets just say it wasn't pretty. I had to do a restore from my home server just to get things back to normal. This is why I am hesitant to upgrade all my machined to Eden Beta 2.

Ken~

- kmusk01 - 2012-01-26

So read through the wiki and see that I need all version of xbmc to be the same. Well since the ATV2 is on Eden Beta 2 I figured I would take the plunge and upgrade all my machines to Eden Beta 2 so I can have the syncing.

Well lets just say I am going to start pulling my hair out cause its not working. I followed what the wiki says at the bottom to basically just start over, but I am lost on what to put in the <name>...</name> part in the advancedsettings file??!!

I can see that eden made 2 new sql databases called: myvideos58 and mymusic18. I have excluded those in the advancedsetting file as Eden would not save the content scrapper. Once I removed the <name> section like the wiki said I could re-populate my library. (Yes starting from scratch)

So I go to my second machine and install eden beta 2, but do I now add the <name> part back point to the new databases that eden created from the main machine?? I tried and it won't sync anything. I even tried leaving out the <name> part, but still no sync. How do I get the sync working again with Eden beta 2 as the wiki is not helping.

I can get you the log file, but I have already looked through it an basically it keeps making new databases. I have also removed the original databases xbmc_video; and xbmc_music; before starting with the install to Eden.

Ken~

- Dam0 - 2012-01-27

any help will be appreciated....

im using Margros PVR build beta 1 eden.

Code:
http://pastebin.com/XaXuuUNe

basically, i have network share of library working or so it seems, but the xbmc log shows it cant connect to sql server, yet the data is shared.

it looks to me like its logging in, making local copy of xbmc_video. then saying in logs defaulting to old sql.

if i update source on remote pcs(all win7) the library is updated on host(win7) and others.

is this normal behavious for eden? cause it appears to be working fine, just has messy logs.

thanks in advance,
Dam0

BTW, i realise beta2 is avail, but i really like pvr

- Betard - 2012-01-29

kmusk01 Wrote:So read through the wiki and see that I need all version of xbmc to be the same. Well since the ATV2 is on Eden Beta 2 I figured I would take the plunge and upgrade all my machines to Eden Beta 2 so I can have the syncing.

Well lets just say I am going to start pulling my hair out cause its not working. I followed what the wiki says at the bottom to basically just start over, but I am lost on what to put in the <name>...</name> part in the advancedsettings file??!!

I can see that eden made 2 new sql databases called: myvideos58 and mymusic18. I have excluded those in the advancedsetting file as Eden would not save the content scrapper. Once I removed the <name> section like the wiki said I could re-populate my library. (Yes starting from scratch)

So I go to my second machine and install eden beta 2, but do I now add the <name> part back point to the new databases that eden created from the main machine?? I tried and it won't sync anything. I even tried leaving out the <name> part, but still no sync. How do I get the sync working again with Eden beta 2 as the wiki is not helping.

I can get you the log file, but I have already looked through it an basically it keeps making new databases. I have also removed the original databases xbmc_video; and xbmc_music; before starting with the install to Eden.

Ken~

for name you can leave
Code:
<name>xbmc_video</name>
<name>xbmc_music</name>

I have personally found that they make no difference here, and that Eden will simply reference the DB names that were appended numerically. I dont have an apple TV (mine all run on Acer REVO / PC)

Once you get your 'advancedsettings.xml' file up and running then you should simply be able to copy it to your others systems, along with your 'sources.xml' file. I always set up one system, then copy the files over to the other 3 in the house.

- jwdv22 - 2012-01-30

Betard Wrote:for name you can leave
Code:
<name>xbmc_video</name>
<name>xbmc_music</name>

Disagree. I use 1 Win7, 1 aTV2, and 1 openelec install. I removed <name> from all of them and they work. Any attempts to have <name> results in the MySQL db creating additional db's.

- kmusk01 - 2012-01-30

I reverted everything back to Dharma already as thats the only way I could get everything to work. (except the ATV2) On Eden Beta 2 I would always keep getting an extra database being created with the number 58 at the end.

I am going to test on the ATV2 by removing the advanced settings <name> part and see if it will hook up and start to sync.

I never knew that I also had to copy the source.xml file, first that I am hearing of this.

Will try this tonight or tomorrow when the better half is not around Tongue

Ken~

- Ned Scott - 2012-01-30

You don't need sources.xml synced at all. The file paths are stores in the library DB.

However, you want them to be the same if you add new media to the library from more than one XBMC device (normally not an issue since it will still be a network path for most devices).

- Ned Scott - 2012-01-30

Everything should work when using the <name> tag in advancedsettings.xml. Not sure what's going on there, but since Eden now makes the databases, it's not required (it will just use a default name+58). It's useful if you have multiple profiles with different DBs, but most people just have the one. Thus, I've removed that part from the main wiki how-to (An "advanced"/full documentation page on the wiki is planned that will have those details).