Kodi Community Forum
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker (/showthread.php?tid=80829)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- Herkatus - 2012-02-11

well, I tryed on ATV2 and after removing <name> from the xml I was able to get it working.... Now I have to wait to openelec has eden working....

- gabbott - 2012-02-11

Herkatus Wrote:well, I tryed on ATV2 and after removing <name> from the xml I was able to get it working.... Now I have to wait to openelec has eden working....

The lastest openelec nightlies have eden beta 3 in them.

http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/openelec-eden/

- sbalani - 2012-02-18

Hi Guys, so my problem is the following. I am using a WD MyBook Live NAS attached to a linksys Cisco gigabit router. my ATV's connect to this router wirelessly & my HTPC is wired.
Now my NAS does not support MySqL out of the box, nor am I familiar enough with the documetnation to hack it. However I recently moved my TV & Movies collections to it. SO for this, I simply setup the MySQL server on the HTPC and set the NAS folders as sources. Now on the HTPC This works fine, even after "installing" The xml file (basic code only for the video & music databases, I didnt bother with the path replacing and whatnot for thumbnails yet. I just wanted to make sure the content was syncing).

I then transfered the file to my first ATV, putting it in the

/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/

folder. I then reset my ATV, and booted up XBMC. XBMC now freezes on startup.

What could be wrong?! Sad

- Necochino - 2012-02-19

{{INX}} Wrote:I have rebuilt my complete xbmc setup from scratch today including the mysql database. Now I have 3 profiles, the database is still updating for the main account as there is so much to scan.
Is there a way to copy the main mysql database and rename for my kids accounts to save me scanning everything in again two more times?

Assuming you'll share with them the full content of the library, after scanning in one machine, export the libraries. Then, from the other machines (or however you log with the different users) import the libraries back.

Hope I'm not too late with the suggestion.

How does this work in Eden Beta 3 - frr792 - 2012-02-22

Does the mySQL library and userdata/Thumbnails only update when an Import Library is completed?

If new movies/tvshows are added to the NAS, and xbmc does a auto update library, do these additions make it to the mySQL DB?

My test..
added single folder of movies/tvshows
scanned for content
exported movies library
exited eden
adjusted advancedsettings.xml
updated NAS/userdata/Thumbnails
opened eden
imported movie library
exited eden
read mySQL DB with TOAD, import was successful, db was created and records created
opened eden
added more folders of movies/tvshows
ran update library
verified update library was successful
read mySQL DB with TOAD, update library was unsuccessful, db was unchanged

Setting up MYSQL on OSX - tdhz77 - 2012-02-23

I need help setting up MYSQL for OSX.

I downloaded mysql-5.5.21-osx10*dmg

Installed using the package file
Terminal>/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql

I can't create users, nor do I know how to connect to database.

What am I missing, how do I create a databse, or connect to the database and create a user, so that I may continue?

Thanks.

UPDATE: sudo /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql fixed my problem. All set. Sorry for being n00by.

- mikeprep - 2012-03-05

Hello,

I plan to set this up on my new build.

I intend to have 1 windows and pc, and 2 ATV set ups. My Qnap nas also has a MySQL server built into it, and I'm hoping I can run the server from there. I am however curious as to how to get the file on the ATV. Any advice?

- Ned Scott - 2012-03-06

mikeprep Wrote:Hello,

I plan to set this up on my new build.

I intend to have 1 windows and pc, and 2 ATV set ups. My Qnap nas also has a MySQL server built into it, and I'm hoping I can run the server from there. I am however curious as to how to get the file on the ATV. Any advice?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMC_for_iOS_specific_FAQ

Same instructions as adding an add-on by zip.

- impmonkey - 2012-03-07

just set this up. Movies and Music went great! however I can now not get the Vevo Addon to show anything. I only setup the music and movie libraries so not sure whats up with this. Any ideas?
Tried removing and re-adding but nothing.
**NM I'm Retarded***

RE: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - Klyde - 2012-03-14

So Attempting this yet again....it appears to be working for my movie collection. Both computers are able to see all the same movies, watched flags etc.
But when I try and scan in my tv shows, when I browse to the library it shows the titles for each show, but doesn't show any episodes? If I'm not using the advancedsettings.xml I'm able to add my tv shows to the local db so I don't believe its an issue with my folder structures but could be wrong.

Here's a pastebin of my latest debug log, hopefully it helps:
http://pastebin.com/RRP7Jsch

RE: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - jad0083 - 2012-03-14

This was how I envisioned a centralized XBMC would work in my environment:

File Server (OpenFiler, FreeNAS, UnRAID, or any other NAS) that would provide the actual Videos, Audio, ETC..
another server that has a linux distro that hosts the MySQL database
actual physical boxes with xbmc installed that can see the DB server and have the shared NAS folders Mounted via cifs, nfs, etc...)
gigabit network (affordable intel gb switches and nics nowadays)

And based on the theory above I have my setup like this:

*Server that has Esxi hosting a Server 2008 (DNS, AD,DC), PfSense(dhcp, routing, firewall), UbuntuServer(MySQL, Openfire, Calibre-Server, mumble, minecraft lol)
*Server that has Openfiler(Audio, Video, Pics, UserData, ETC...) serving multiple XFS volumes on several RAID 5s via cifs/smb and nfs

*Now with the setup above, I have my GPO settings to automatically map all the necessary shares from my SAN to any win boxes, so any other box that I add to my environment will automatically see those shares (video, audio, music, etc..)
*I'm pretty sure that you can setup your GPO to push advancedsettings.xml to the client boxes, so it automatically refreshes from a central location as well.

I currently have 2 windows boxes that have XBMC, and all I needed to do with them is modify the advancedsettings.xml to point to MySQL and the thumbnail shares

-=Modified the my.cnf (MySQL settings) and added "skip-name-resolve", solved the initial mysql slowness.=-

Pros:
*Adding new XBMC boxes is easy since it already skips the initial scraping (especially good if you have more than 300+ movies, tv shows, etc...)
*If in an AD environment, login and logoff are WAY faster, since it doesn't have to sync all the user files between the client and server everytime
*Granular modifications on the actual DB (I use Toad for MySQL), if you want/need to.
*Speed: I actually find this faster (but this is my experience), especially if your xbmc boxes are using slow Hdds (IDEs, low rpm drives), since all the streaming will be offloaded to the nic
*Easily more scalable

Cons:
*A little more complicated setup
*Expensive if you're just starting up (great if you already have the existing environment)
*More admin overhead

Im running RC2 btw, no issues so far (crossing fingers)

RE: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - aptalca - 2012-03-15

(2012-03-14, 20:37)Klyde Wrote: So Attempting this yet again....it appears to be working for my movie collection. Both computers are able to see all the same movies, watched flags etc.
But when I try and scan in my tv shows, when I browse to the library it shows the titles for each show, but doesn't show any episodes? If I'm not using the advancedsettings.xml I'm able to add my tv shows to the local db so I don't believe its an issue with my folder structures but could be wrong.

Here's a pastebin of my latest debug log, hopefully it helps:
http://pastebin.com/RRP7Jsch

Your debug log is awfully short. Did you turn debugging on in xbmc settings?

Also make sure that in your library the view is not set to "unwatched" because then it would hide all the watched episodes.

Other than that, make sure the sources are set on all the machines. I know when I first set up my second xbmc box, I set up mysql library, but didn't add the sources. It would still display the content that was already in the library, but wouldn't scrape or add anything to it.

RE: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - Klyde - 2012-03-19

oops here's the log with debugging enabled:
http://pastebin.com/b2qnBxEB

Also checked the "unwatched" settings and sources,everything seems correct

RE: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - protocol77 - 2012-03-25

i want to do this but a bit too advanced for me i am actually suprised no one has created a program or addon to do this automatically already

RE: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - kri kri - 2012-03-25

Not much work, took me all of 10 minutes to install mysql and make an advancedsettings file. Did you follow the wiki? Don't follow the lifehacker article it is too old.