Kodi Community Forum
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker (/showthread.php?tid=80829)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - labtopia - 2012-04-27

(2012-04-27, 00:13)Kami Wrote: but now it doesn't save the content settings and doesn't scan the videos to the library.

im having this issue too after switching over to mysql, tv shows will keep set content, but movies will not, it keeps reverting to NONE. this was working just fine when i set it up, but i discoverd yesterday that movies i can no longer set the scraper and content type.

i've tried removing the source and adding it again, but doesnt work.

dave

RE: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - labtopia - 2012-04-27

(2012-04-27, 14:57)labtopia Wrote:
(2012-04-27, 00:13)Kami Wrote: but now it doesn't save the content settings and doesn't scan the videos to the library.

im having this issue too after switching over to mysql, tv shows will keep set content, but movies will not, it keeps reverting to NONE. this was working just fine when i set it up, but i discoverd yesterday that movies i can no longer set the scraper and content type.

i've tried removing the source and adding it again, but doesnt work.

dave

i was able to fix this, it looks like my user profile was bad, so i backed up my userdata folder and deleted it, new fresh one, i put back my advanced, sources, medialocations xml's and it is now working again.

RE: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - allen00se - 2012-04-27

So has anyone got thumbnails working for movies and TV shows on Eden? I have my libraries sync'd but I have no thumbnails. I can manually go into each movie and set the thumbnail, then it stays... but for some reason it isnt working automatically.

RE: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - TheGooch - 2012-05-03

(2012-04-25, 22:09)Moncha Wrote: I may stand corrected but, I had no luck in having XBMC create the DB and tables so I did it manually and all worked great.
In Dharma I was using WHS, now with eden I am using WHS 2011 and both time had to manually set the DBs.

How did you do it manually? I tried manually creating the databases but it won't create the tables. Since I don't know the schema for the database, I can't create them manually.

Please let me know as I've been googling for hours trying to figure out how to manually create the tables.

RE: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - jmarshall - 2012-05-03

Do not create the tables, XBMC will do it for you. Read the wiki!

RE: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - Blaxxor - 2012-05-03

XBMC couldn't make the conversation for me. It created the databases and tables but the conversation wouldn't go trough.

Ende up removing all namesettings in advancedsettings then XBMC created new empty tables and then import my old backup.

RE: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - TheGooch - 2012-05-03

(2012-05-03, 07:19)jmarshall Wrote: Do not create the tables, XBMC will do it for you. Read the wiki!

I followed the wiki verbatim, with one change that I got from a Website that showed how to use the <name></name> tag in advancedsettings.xml to specify specific database names for music and video. That's the part that I could not get to work.

I gave up on having control over that part , closed XBMC, removed the <name> tags, and restarted xbmc. It happily used the existing databases that imported from my old MySQL server and updated the libraries very quickly.

The idea of having custom databases named xbmc_video and xbmc_music is pretty appealing, because it makes them easy to identify as belonging to xbmc when you are browsing the mysql server schema. I'll just have to remember not to drop them when deleting obsolete tables during my quarterly db maintenance.

PS I'm using XBMC 11 Eden on Windows 7(32 and 64 bit), with MySql DB5 running on Ubuntu 12.04.

RE: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - Finchy - 2012-05-03

I have another issue with mine.... XBMC seems to have duplicated most of the movie files and I can't get it to remove them. I can see from looking at the tables in SQLyog that there are duplicates of most movies, and they have entries as the following;

smb://xbmc:[email protected]/Movie Archive/50's & earlier Movies/12 Angry Men (1957).mkv
smb://HOMESERVER/Movie Archive/50's & earlier Movies/12 Angry Men (1957).mkv

I have checked all three devices that connect to the SQL server (ATV2, XBMCbuntu and a Windows 7 laptop) and all have the advanced settings path redirection to the same advancedsettings.xml file on the Home Server, which has the "smb://xbmc:[email protected]/Movie Archive/50's & earlier Movies/" type paths.

I have tried using the XBMC cleanup in the settings, but that's not removed them, and I cannot find any folders in the Video folders that have them. How do I remove the duplicate entries? Is there a tool/add on that will do it? Or can I run any SQL commands to remove them?

Damn thing....and it was all fine until a few days ago....!

They all have the following;
Code:
<advancedsettings>

<videodatabase>
    <type>MySQL</type>
    <host>192.168.0.4</host>
    <user>xbmc</user>
    <pass>xbmc</pass>
    </videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
    <type>MySQL</type>
    <host>192.168.0.4</host>
    <user>xbmc</user>
    <pass>xbmc</pass>
    </musicdatabase>

<pathsubstitution>

<substitute>
    <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
    <to>nfs://192.168.0.4:/XBMCThumbs/</to>
  </substitute>

<substitute>
    <from>special://masterprofile/sources.xml</from>
    <to>smb://HOMESERVER/XBMC-XML-Files/sources.xml</to>
  </substitute>

<substitute>
    <from>special://masterprofile/mediasources.xml</from>
    <to>smb://HOMESERVER/XBMC-XML-Files/mediasources.xml</to>
  </substitute>

<substitute>
    <from>special://masterprofile/favourites.xml</from>
    <to>smb://HOMESERVER/XBMC-XML-Files/favourites.xml</to>
  </substitute>

</pathsubstitution>

</advancedsettings>

RE: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - Ned Scott - 2012-05-03

If XBMC is not creating the tables like it should (as mentioned in the MySQL (wiki) guide on the wiki) then get us a debug log (wiki). There might be an issue with the MySQL server, or maybe some uncovered bug in XBMC, or something else. In any case, finding the root cause would be very helpful and would mean you wouldn't have to do some weird work-around every time XBMC is updated.

RE: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - Ned Scott - 2012-05-03

(2012-05-03, 14:46)TheGooch Wrote:
(2012-05-03, 07:19)jmarshall Wrote: Do not create the tables, XBMC will do it for you. Read the wiki!

I followed the wiki verbatim, with one change that I got from a Website that showed how to use the <name></name> tag in advancedsettings.xml to specify specific database names for music and video. That's the part that I could not get to work.

I gave up on having control over that part , closed XBMC, removed the <name> tags, and restarted xbmc. It happily used the existing databases that imported from my old MySQL server and updated the libraries very quickly.

The idea of having custom databases named xbmc_video and xbmc_music is pretty appealing, because it makes them easy to identify as belonging to xbmc when you are browsing the mysql server schema. I'll just have to remember not to drop them when deleting obsolete tables during my quarterly db maintenance.

PS I'm using XBMC 11 Eden on Windows 7(32 and 64 bit), with MySql DB5 running on Ubuntu 12.04.

This mystery actually what lead to the Wiki instructions from excluding the name tag and just recommending to use the default name for the video DB. Several people couldn't get it to work when the <name> tag was included and we couldn't figure out why, but we never really collected any info in depth.

I've been meaning to install Ubuntu myself after having played with XBMCbuntu and wanting to expand on it, so I'll try and see if maybe it's something with MySQL DB5 and Ubuntu 12.04 (or a setting within?). I wish I had asked what others, who were having the same issue, were running for their MySQL server and what OS they were using. If anyone else is having this issue, if you could include that info, it might help.

RE: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - Finchy - 2012-05-03

Ah, thanks. I've copied the file over, what's the best place to upload it to?

RE: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - MrWedel - 2012-05-03

Hi!

It looks like you (Finchy) solved the problem I am facing.
I have a Windows Home server with all my video files on AND my MySQL library for XBMC.

Then I have the XBMC client on:

1) Windows 7 laptop
2) iMac 27 (Lion)
3) ATV2

All are showing the library correctly but the only device that can then play the movies are the Win7.
I have security on the server so I have to authenticate and here do the problem start.

HOW do I pass the credentials from OSX and ATV2?

The OSX XBMC just passes the local user account and that does not exist on the server. Same thing with the ATV.. Default user is passed as credentials.

Adding a SMB network folder works perfectly because there I can pass on the username and psw.. But when using the library I cannot.
I have been googleing this for hours and cannot find any solution..
Very happy for all help!!

Br
Christian

(2012-05-03, 23:34)MrWedel Wrote: Hi!

I have a Windows Home server with all my video files on AND my MySQL library for XBMC.

1) Windows 7 laptop
2) iMac 27 (Lion)
3) ATV2

All are showing the library correctly but the only device that can then play the movies are the Win7.
I have security on the server so I have to authenticate and here do the problem start.

The OSX XBMC just passes the local user account and that does not exist on the server. Same thing with the ATV.. Default user is passed as credentials.

Adding a SMB network folder works perfectly because there I can pass on the username and psw.. But when using the library I cannot.

Br
Christian

You have to change the file path used in the library to use an SMB path that also includes the username and password. There's a few ways to do this, but one easy way would be to use Path subs (wiki):

the <from> would be whatever the current path is

the <to> would be something like "smb://username@password:IP.ADDRESS.HERE/folder/whatever/etc"

and then add that to the advancedsettings file of OSX and ATV2.

RE: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - MrWedel - 2012-05-09

(2012-05-03, 23:57)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-05-03, 23:34)MrWedel Wrote: Hi!

1) Windows 7 laptop
2) iMac 27 (Lion)
3) ATV2

Br
Christian

You have to change the file path used in the library to use an SMB path that also includes the username and password. There's a few ways to do this, but one easy way would be to use Path subs (wiki):

the <from> would be whatever the current path is

the <to> would be something like "smb://username@password:IP.ADDRESS.HERE/folder/whatever/etc"

and then add that to the advancedsettings file of OSX and ATV2.

Strange. Still not working. This is what I have in my "advancedsettings.xml":

<advancedsettings>
<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>smb://CLOUD/</from>
<to>smb://<user>@<password>:192.168.1.64/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

This is what I get in my log file when debugging XBMC:

OpenDir - Using authentication url smb://<user>:@<password>/Videos/Filmer/Film23

Looks like XBMC is moving the ":" to the wrong place.
If I add a SMB share manually to XBMC with user name and password there is no problem.

RE: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - Dilligaf - 2012-05-09

I think you got the : and @ swapped try...

<to>smb://<user>:<password>@192.168.1.64/</to>

Mike