Kodi Community Forum
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker (/showthread.php?tid=80829)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- NickSoapdish - 2011-02-09

paco - I just checked over this thread and didn't see where the music indexes were mentioned. Can you point me/us in the right direction? Thanks.

Found the post in the other thread on this topic:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=646799&postcount=5

- tboooe - 2011-02-09

I have also read in various placed in the forum to add these indices as well:

alter table song add index ix_idalbum(idalbum)
create index idartist_idx on song (idartist)
create index idartist_idx on album (idartist)
create index idartist_idx on exartistsong (idartist)
create index idartist_idx on exartistalbum (idartist)

I not yet tried these out myself but intend to tonight.

Can adding too many indices hurt the performance of the database?

- paco - 2011-02-09

I'm not sure what those other indexes cover. The main guide I used when setting up my config was here:

http://humphrey.za.net/2010/09/25/xbmc-mysql-multi-room-sync/

- Hudson_Hawk04 - 2011-02-10

I am planning on using the lifehacker guide to sync xbmc, but I have one question? When I add additional media will I need to modify the database to include the media? or will a update from ember to both machines do the trick?

- clambert - 2011-02-10

Hudson_Hawk04 Wrote:I am planning on using the lifehacker guide to sync xbmc, but I have one question? When I add additional media will I need to modify the database to include the media? or will a update from ember to both machines do the trick?

If it's added, every machine sees the change. When it scans the for new media anything new is added to the database. I'm not sure if I 100% understand the question. The only real issue is with thumbnails. By default they are locally stored on each machine. You can make modifications to have them feed off a share, something I haven't done yet. Some people have reported a minor performance hit though. I'm going to give it a whirl myself when I get some time to play.

- Hudson_Hawk04 - 2011-02-11

[quote=clambert]If it's added, every machine sees the change. When it scans the for new media anything new is added to the database. I'm not sure if I 100% understand the question. The only real issue is with thumbnails. By default they are locally stored on each machine. You can make modifications to have them feed off a share, something I haven't done yet. Some people have reported a minor performance hit though. I'm going to give it a whirl myself when I get some time to play.[/QUOTE/]

Alright thanks

- svenh - 2011-02-12

I got this working today with the instructions from the original post at lifehacker, however at first it would not work. I had installed the 32 bit MSI version of MySQL (mysql-5.5.9). Created the tables etc.

Upon launching, the UI would lag really bad and nothing would get scanned in if I tried to add content Looking at the xbmc.log I got errors such as this:

"Can't get hostname for your address"

I found you have to go into your mysql directory and add "skip-name-resolve
" to your my.ini file. Afterward I restarted the MySQL service and it worked.

I am pretty sure I saw this somewhere else because the fix sounded really familiar, but if anyone else tries this and runs into the problem maybe this post will help them!

proper placement of config file ATV and Linux? - Hudson_Hawk04 - 2011-02-12

I was able to get the database working properly using the sql server, but it may have been at the expense of my mediaportal DVR setup, we will see, might be my next project to re-do

- Emohawk - 2011-02-13

I had the same problem as svenh - but after following his instruction I've gotten a bit further but not quiet 100%
Reading from my log I get this error:

Code:
ERROR: SQL: The table does not exist
Query: select count(1) from tvshow

Did XBMC fail to create all the tables? Is there a way I can force it to create again?

Thx

- Hudson_Hawk04 - 2011-02-13

do you allready have a program using mysql? I have media portal on one machine on my network and tried putting the database on that machine and it would spit out an error similar to yours. I was able to get it working by putting mysql server on the machine with all my media. Not sure at the moment how to kill the xbmc database but I will do some looking around, I will also post on the integrity of my Media Portal install.

- Emohawk - 2011-02-13

Thanks for the quick reply. It's a fresh install of MySql on the server that hosts my media files. No other application is accessing it, with the exception of the MySql Workbench.

I'll try re-creating the databases and see if that helps - I'll post my progress Smile

<edit>
Tried to drop the tables and re-create them - got these errors in the XBMC log:

Code:
ERROR: SQL: Undefined MySQL error: Code (1071)
Query: CREATE UNIQUE INDEX ix_path ON path ( strPath )
ERROR: CVideoDatabase::CreateTables unable to create tables:0
ERROR: SQL: The table does not exist
Query: select count(1) from tvshow
ERROR: CVideoDatabase::HasContent failed
</edit>

- cptjsparrow7 - 2011-02-14

Cash Wrote:thanks for the reply, Now will it still if i use all mapped drives and have the all the letters the same? I tried thied the SMB on the server and it seemed sooooo slow scraping the movies.

Did we ever figure this out? I tried using mapped drives and had no luck. If I added a source from a local drive, it would not let me update the library (had to add via smb://). I'd like to be able to use a drive letter (common to all my systems) so that when I have to move the physical location of the files to another device the source location to the client systems doesn't change....

- Hudson_Hawk04 - 2011-02-14

when I attempted this again and got it working I entered the commands from the lifehacker article I entered them line by line as opposed to how they were grouped. Just playing a hunch I may be wrong though.

- castortray - 2011-02-18

I've got about 600 movies and when I go to Movies --> Actors it took around 13 minutes (4882 actors) Sad
Any chance to speed up ? Maybe I have something wrong in MySQL configuration. Huh
Everybody has the same issue ? What are your times ?

hopefully someone can help.

• Running Dharma rev.35744 on Windows 7 (ASRock ION 330HT)

- Hudson_Hawk04 - 2011-02-18

Got a quick question, I had the database working just not the way I wanted it. It was running on the pc where my media is which has a wireless connection to my remaining machines? The question is how do I create the xbmc databases so they are on a machine that is hardwired (I would like to put them on my MediaPortal machine which runs MySQL.) I have tried once before and it corrupted MediaPortal, do I need to create a separate access point for the XBMC databases to maintain the integrity of the other databases? Just looking for some feedback before I try again. Thanks Guys.