Kodi Community Forum
HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: HOW-TO synchronize your XBMC Media Center between every room in the house: Lifehacker (/showthread.php?tid=80829)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- Kewlj1313 - 2011-02-19

Double Post Sorry!

- Kewlj1313 - 2011-02-19

castortray Wrote:I've got about 600 movies and when I go to Movies --> Actors it took around 13 minutes (4882 actors) Sad
Any chance to speed up ? Maybe I have something wrong in MySQL configuration. Huh
Everybody has the same issue ? What are your times ?

hopefully someone can help.

• Running Dharma rev.35744 on Windows 7 (ASRock ION 330HT)

Try adding skip-name-resolve to your config file. On my windows box it is called my.ini and is in the mysql directory!

Let use know what your speeds are like after that P.S. it took mine about 10 seconds with around 3500 actors!

- tboooe - 2011-02-19

castortray Wrote:I've got about 600 movies and when I go to Movies --> Actors it took around 13 minutes (4882 actors) Sad
Any chance to speed up ? Maybe I have something wrong in MySQL configuration. Huh
Everybody has the same issue ? What are your times ?

hopefully someone can help.

• Running Dharma rev.35744 on Windows 7 (ASRock ION 330HT)

Try this...

ALTER TABLE movie ADD INDEX ix_idFile(idFile);

- castortray - 2011-02-20

Kewlj1313 Wrote:Try adding skip-name-resolve to your config file. On my windows box it is called my.ini and is in the mysql directory!

Let use know what your speeds are like after that P.S. it took mine about 10 seconds with around 3500 actors!

tboooe Wrote:Try this...

ALTER TABLE movie ADD INDEX ix_idFile(idFile);

after adding skip-name-resolve in my.ini

Code:
[mysqld]
skip-name-resolve

and the creation of the index:

Code:
mysql> ALTER TABLE movie ADD INDEX ix_idFile(idFile);
Query OK, 681 rows affected (1.01 sec)
Records: 681  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

my time change from 13 min to 6 min for 4899 actors, it's better but should be much faster I think Sad

- TugboatBill - 2011-02-23

Is there any reason we can't have more than one XBMC PC updating the database? I'd like to have them each run a clean/scan on startup.

- clambert - 2011-02-23

TugboatBill Wrote:Is there any reason we can't have more than one XBMC PC updating the database? I'd like to have them each run a clean/scan on startup.

Yeah, it's fine.

- TugboatBill - 2011-02-24

Excellent! Nod

It works! - cptjsparrow7 - 2011-02-25

Cash Wrote:Ok i have main server in livingroom with xbmc mysql etc etc, and one in bedroom. I want to sync these i followed all directions but am not sure about adding the shares as SMB:// blah bla. MY DATABASE IS EMPTY AND WILL DO A FRESH SCAN AFTER THIS IS SETUP, Now i assume i do this on the other clients in bedroom the smb:// thing and NOT on main server is that correct? On server i just add as folders, or does that store it wrong the the sql database?

Thanks

^FrEaK^ Wrote:no, you have to use the SAME path on ALL the pc's including the server, ex. smb://192.168.0.5/d/movies (just replace with server ip), remember to delete all the sources and clean the database, then add all sources on one of the pc's with the server ip adress and reload all of the database on that pc before going on to the next one

Cash Wrote:thanks for the reply, Now will it still if i use all mapped drives and have the all the letters the same? I tried thied the SMB on the server and it seemed sooooo slow scraping the movies.

Ok so I had asked about that early and didn't get a response. I finally figured out that the database just doesn't deal with "drive letters" as it is meant to work for any install of xbmc to share - obviously MAC/Linux doesn't work with a windows drive letter assignment.

So my original question was - how do I setup my media in such a way that I can move it to a different physical location without having to re-construct the database. I know this can be done by editing the Sql tables, but for those not so Sql savvy I wanted to find a different way.

It's a little dirty, but I finally got it to work with aliasing. Currently everything is stored on my htpc, but I know the media will be moved eventually so I setup an alias "video" and then created my shares for different sources (ie smb://video/tv; smb://video/movies, etc.). Now when I go to move the media, I just change what the alias points to. If you don't have a router that can handle this, you can always add a static entry to your hosts file for the computer(s) running XBMC.

- NoPantsJim - 2011-02-27

I skimmed through all 13 pages of this, so sorry if this has already been answered but I didn't see it...

for the following:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <videodatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>***.***.***.***</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
        <name>xbmc_video</name>
    </videodatabase>
</advancedsettings>

Does the <host> have to be an IP address? Could it be an external server? The reason I ask is that I know someone who wants an XBMC install in his home here in Chicago and also his vacation home in Michigan. It would be nice if I could use a MySQL server at "mysql.myurl.com" for both installs and have them sync through the internet rather than a local network. Has anyone tried this or does anyone know if it could work?

- TugboatBill - 2011-02-27

NoPantsJim Wrote:I skimmed through all 13 pages of this, so sorry if this has already been answered but I didn't see it...

for the following:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <videodatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>***.***.***.***</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>
        <name>xbmc_video</name>
    </videodatabase>
</advancedsettings>

Does the <host> have to be an IP address? Could it be an external server? The reason I ask is that I know someone who wants an XBMC install in his home here in Chicago and also his vacation home in Michigan. It would be nice if I could use a MySQL server at "mysql.myurl.com" for both installs and have them sync through the internet rather than a local network. Has anyone tried this or does anyone know if it could work?

Instead of trying to use an extended name I would use the IP and route the port at the firewall. It may have issues if the response times are slow, but the only way to know for sure is to try it. A big issue would be proper naming of the source so that both locations can access it/them.

- NoPantsJim - 2011-02-27

TugboatBill Wrote:Instead of trying to use an extended name I would use the IP and route the port at the firewall. It may have issues if the response times are slow, but the only way to know for sure is to try it. A big issue would be proper naming of the source so that both locations can access it/them.

Maybe I wasn't being 100% clear. The MySQL database would be on a Dreamhost.com server, not on any local network.

- svenh - 2011-03-01

NoPantsJim Wrote:Maybe I wasn't being 100% clear. The MySQL database would be on a Dreamhost.com server, not on any local network.

Yeah that should work okay. You just have to make sure you do NOT have the "skip-name-resolve" option set, otherwise it won't try to do a DNS lookup for that URL and that would cause it to not work.

- P_Jamula - 2011-03-22

Hi all:
i am a beginner. I need to install XBMC on 3 machines and make my DB reside on a QNAP TS-859 NAS. the Qnap supposedly has mysql as a builtin capability.
could someone please guide me how i may define the database on the QNAP and then access from XBMC Windows 7 64bit based machines located in different rooms of my house? any help will be greatly appreciated. Please remember i am not a computer expert and know nothing about databases or mysql. thanks in advance.

- P_Jamula - 2011-03-25

P_Jamula Wrote:Hi all:
i am a beginner. I need to install XBMC on 3 machines and make my DB reside on a QNAP TS-859 NAS. the Qnap supposedly has mysql as a builtin capability.
could someone please guide me how i may define the database on the QNAP and then access from XBMC Windows 7 64bit based machines located in different rooms of my house? any help will be greatly appreciated. Please remember i am not a computer expert and know nothing about databases or mysql. thanks in advance.

Any help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee

- tboooe - 2011-03-25

P_Jamula Wrote:Any help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee

I dont have a QNAP but my NAS also comes with mysql. You should be able to go into the QNAP web management interface and find a menu item that lets you start the mysql admin page. It may be using myphpadmin interface. Once you get into that interface everything should be straight forward. Let me know if you are able to get this far and I can help you with the rest.