Kodi Community Forum
HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control), HDMI communication channel protocol support? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control), HDMI communication channel protocol support? (/showthread.php?tid=80840)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

- Livin - 2011-10-04

I believe the schematics for that on-board device are around the web somewhere BUT the cost of the parts and the time to make it would only save you a few $ vs buying it from Pulse-Eight.

If P-E comes out with a plugin for EventGhost (a must have for me) for the CEC & Remote I'll be purchasing both.

How generic the Adaptor is? - timppala - 2011-10-04

Malard Wrote:Thanks I'm sure we will as we move along, that said, we are aiming to have tight integration of our devices with XBMC where possible, and provide libraries to assist as much as we can

Pulse-Eight HDMI-CEC adapter is developed by XBMC team, although the technology implementation is generic.

- How well these HDMI-CEC signals are integrated with OS's (Win7)

- Does the adaptor work with DVB Viewer?

- Malard - 2011-10-05

Livin Wrote:I believe the schematics for that on-board device are around the web somewhere BUT the cost of the parts and the time to make it would only save you a few $ vs buying it from Pulse-Eight.

If P-E comes out with a plugin for EventGhost (a must have for me) for the CEC & Remote I'll be purchasing both.

That's half accurate, while you could build a device to send and receive cec commands, you need a library to relay them and then some sort of API and integration with XBMC, which is what we are providing, for instance the rainshadow tech has a completely different API to ours so you would have to build a new wrapper entirely

- Malard - 2011-10-05

timppala Wrote:Pulse-Eight HDMI-CEC adapter is developed by XBMC team, although the technology implementation is generic.

- How well these HDMI-CEC signals are integrated with OS's (Win7)

- Does the adaptor work with DVB Viewer?

I don't really understand the questions, the adapter will work in windows linux and mac

- lloydsmart - 2011-10-05

Hi Malard,

Any info on when a Windows XBMC build will be available with libcec support?

Thanks.

EDIT: I'd be happy to download the source code and compile with Microsoft VC++ if necessary, so long as the code is all integrated together, and I don't have to download libcec and xbmc seperately and then figure out how to get one to talk to the other.

Incidentally, once this software is out, is there a manual or instruction wiki somewhere that will teach users how to configure the cec commands? Is it a case of it'll "just work", or is there some config file that needs setting up to get xbmc to talk to the adapter, or what? Clarification (or a link) would be most welcome.

Smile

- Elvito - 2011-10-05

lloydsmart Wrote:Incidentally, once this software is out, is there a manual or instruction wiki somewhere that will teach users how to configure the cec commands? Is it a case of it'll "just work", or is there some config file that needs setting up to get xbmc to talk to the adapter, or what? Clarification (or a link) would be most welcome.
Smile

Indeed.
I was wondering about the "configurability" of the adapter as well.

- Malard - 2011-10-05

It will just 'work' older TV's that don't just work, pop into the #pulse-eight irc channel to get the library updated with your tv's commands.

you will be able to rebind key's etc via xbmc's peripherals interface also.

CEC is a fixed implementation so there is only so much you can customise.

XBMC builds which work with windows _may_ be available now, the latest nightlies have cec support

- lloydsmart - 2011-10-05

Malard Wrote:the latest nightlies have cec support

Excellent! I'm downloading XBMCSetup-20111005-fc24dcb-master.exe right now!

- GreenEyez - 2011-10-05

I presume the CEC implementation will only work with the OpenELEC USB adapter, since modern GPUs don`t have hardware CEC support, right?

- lloydsmart - 2011-10-06

Ok, I've installed the latest nightly, but I can't find anything about CEC, and my remote isn't controlling XBMC. Do I have to do anything different to get it working? I installed the INF file, but the only change I've noticed in XBMC so far, is that under "Input Settings" there is a new menu item called "Peripherals". Is this something to do with CEC? Selecting it produces a blank dialog screen with a few titles in it.

If it matters, my setup is HTPC (Nvidia GT430) --> Openelec CEC Adapter --> Onkyo 705 --> Panasonic TX-P50VT20. All via HDMI.

- Malard - 2011-10-06

OpenELEC adapter? this device is made by Pulse-Eight Smile

If you don't get the popup saying CEC device installed, when its connected and XBMC is running, the build you have isnt detecting the device, give it a few days

- lloydsmart - 2011-10-11

Sorry, I meant Pulse-Eight CEC adapter. Do you know what build I need to make it work? I've tried various builds up to 10/10/2011, but nothing seems to happen.

Should I try compiling my own build in Visual C++? If so, where should I download the source code? Also, are there any switches or options I need to enable when compiling (for Windows) to enable the cec feature?

Thanks for your continued support. Smile

- Malard - 2011-10-11

lloydsmart Wrote:Sorry, I meant Pulse-Eight CEC adapter. Do you know what build I need to make it work? I've tried various builds up to 10/10/2011, but nothing seems to happen.

Should I try compiling my own build in Visual C++? If so, where should I download the source code? Also, are there any switches or options I need to enable when compiling (for Windows) to enable the cec feature?

Thanks for your continued support. Smile

It should just work without you having to do anything, if not, we need to fix that, you trying to compile it from source won't get you very far. Join us on irc and we can help you out

- remezen - 2011-10-13

Is there any possibility of turning the pc on/off by turning the tv on/off (for completely hiding the pc)?

- Malard - 2011-10-15

remezen Wrote:Is there any possibility of turning the pc on/off by turning the tv on/off (for completely hiding the pc)?

Yes a firmware update is in the works to do this.