Kodi Community Forum
XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard (/showthread.php?tid=80968)

- japius - 2011-06-13

Malard Wrote:Just a quick update.

The sample got delayed due to a last minute tweak, it's due in my hands on wednesday, but hopefully there should be no delay on the delivery date of the first pilot run batch.

how big is the first run batch?

- outleradam - 2011-06-16

The sample got delayed due to a last minute tweak, it's due in my hands on wednesday, but hopefully there should be no delay on the delivery date of the first pilot run batch.

It's not knowingly open, but if you can hack it to do something cool, let me know!
It's Wednesday. Any good news? Did you get the new one back?

- kiboy6 - 2011-06-16

I too am eagerly waiting for the arrival of my pre-order Smile (I'm number 240).

Just read this thread for the first time...one thing that alarmed me slightly was the lack of context menu button on the front side of the remote.

Will it be easy enough to remap some un-used front side keys (number / colour keys) by editing keyboard.xml?

Also, on my current crappy remote I use EventGhost to map some keys to custom htpc but non-xbmc functions like "switch display". Will it possible to achieve something similar with this remote, with or without EventGhost?

If EventGhost is necessary for this, will it require a new EventGhost plugin to register RF commands from the remote? If so do you think anyone might develop one?

Thanks so much for this project - can't wait to get my hands on it!

- Malard - 2011-06-16

Okay, just some updates:

Basically we've made a small change to the "UI" of the remote, the top left button, the MC/TV is now dual colour, red for IR and Blue for RF

So basically when you push a key you can work out which mode your in, I thought this was pretty important so it's push things around a day or 2, but nothing serious, 27th might actually be the 30th, but I am still hopeful so I haven't sent out an email yet to pre-order customers.

I can't guarentee it, but so far it's looking like, 1 dongle, 1 remote, so if you have multiple remotes, they won't conflict. But don't quote me on that yet, I will know exactly how many 'different' frequencies there are, (there wont be 10,000 unique codes for sure)

- Malard - 2011-06-16

kiboy6 Wrote:I too am eagerly waiting for the arrival of my pre-order Smile (I'm number 240).

Just read this thread for the first time...one thing that alarmed me slightly was the lack of context menu button on the front side of the remote.

Will it be easy enough to remap some un-used front side keys (number / colour keys) by editing keyboard.xml?

Also, on my current crappy remote I use EventGhost to map some keys to custom htpc but non-xbmc functions like "switch display". Will it possible to achieve something similar with this remote, with or without EventGhost?

If EventGhost is necessary for this, will it require a new EventGhost plugin to register RF commands from the remote? If so do you think anyone might develop one?

Thanks so much for this project - can't wait to get my hands on it!

If you check head, you will see that the windows support for the nyxboard is already in, but the final keymap is not there yet (that will go in once i've signed off on everything and tested it)

The mac and linux support will follow in due course.

For dharma users, there will be a keyboard.xml for people to download and drop into their profile directory. But only a couple of keys need to be tweaked.

Just to make clear, the remote appears like a normal mouse and keyboard, so if eventghost can hook up to a HID device you should have no problem doing any interesting mappings.

If you have any issues/questions y ou can get a fast response by emailing [email protected]

Cheers

- outleradam - 2011-06-17

Great! That's awesome!

I can't wait to get it. Hopefully I can get good teardown pics.

- techmad - 2011-06-17

Pre-ordered mine yesterday, looking forward to having a decent remote it looks the business! Smile

- Malard - 2011-06-17

outleradam Wrote:Great! That's awesome!

I can't wait to get it. Hopefully I can get good teardown pics.

let me know how you do this, because its sprayed rubber, you would need a dremel to cut into it

- kiboy6 - 2011-06-18

Malard Wrote:If you check head, you will see that the windows support for the nyxboard is already in, but the final keymap is not there yet (that will go in once i've signed off on everything and tested it)

The mac and linux support will follow in due course.

For dharma users, there will be a keyboard.xml for people to download and drop into their profile directory. But only a couple of keys need to be tweaked.

Just to make clear, the remote appears like a normal mouse and keyboard, so if eventghost can hook up to a HID device you should have no problem doing any interesting mappings.

Cheers

Thanks - great to know that I should be able to use EventGhost no problem to add any missing functions Smile

- outleradam - 2011-06-19

Malard Wrote:let me know how you do this, because its sprayed rubber, you would need a dremel to cut into it

Are you serial?

what are the two screw hole looking things on the bottom?

Is it really a fully sealed unit? How could it be? Please explain so I don't screw it all up.

- Malard - 2011-06-19

No idea, probably errors with the renders they shipped, I never noticed, if you look on the website at the actual photos of the product, then you will see there is no visible screws, in fact I'm pretty sure that there is no screws used in construction

- outleradam - 2011-06-25

It's not knowingly open, but if you can hack it to do something cool, let me know!
Alright, so these are due to ship on monday. Will the first batch be the "tweaked" batch?

Also, if you have any quality control issue remotes, I have some great hacking tools here like a Logic Sniffer, Bus Pirate and an Arduino which can be used in all sorts of manners to hack the device. I'm not asking for an additional device... If you've got one which does not pass quality control, then I'd be happy to take it for Teardown/Analysis/Hacking/Modification and it will eventually go to the garbage once the regulator gets toasted from a shaky hand or a sneeze.

- japius - 2011-06-26

So the pulse eight site says

Due to a longer than expected problem with the injection molding for the RF dongle, the Nyxboard Hybrid ship date has slipped slightly and our first run hasn’t yet finished being built, it’s not a big delay, our best guess is around 10 days more until we get stock and can start shipping. Obviously this is a blow to those who have been waiting since we announced the remote, as such all those who have pre-ordered so far will be getting a little extra something in their delivery to say sorry and thank you for your patience.

Any hint as to what the little extra something is?

- Malard - 2011-06-26

You will have to wait and see Smile It's only for the first pre-order batch Smile

- japius - 2011-06-27

Malard Wrote:You will have to wait and see Smile It's only for the first pre-order batch Smile

how does one know if they are in the first batch or not?