Kodi Community Forum
XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard (/showthread.php?tid=80968)

- mat____ - 2011-10-09

outleradam Wrote:...You must flip it over, rotate it 180 degrees and then grab it with the other hand. If the keyboard were rotated 180 degrees, then it would be appropriate. Currently, this is a left-handed remote.
I agree, but I'd not noticed this myself but I just tried and I agree; however it can be done in a fluid motion if you twist the remote differently by holding it in the right hand and pushing with the thumb to turn it right to left rather than with the fingers to turn it left to right. You'll still end up pressing the keys with the left hand but it's a start.

The trick seems to be to just use it in your left hand, good practice for increased dexterity Smile

outleradam Wrote:I'd like to have a shortcut to "full-screen" ie the TAB button on the top of the remote. This allows for easy switching between menus and the currently playing show.
from earlier post #364
<f4 mod="shift">FullScreen</f4>

- Bram77 - 2011-10-09

Now it's functioning properly I'm quite positive about the remote. I think it's one of the best I've used so far. There are two annoying facts though. Sometimes a single push on a button is executed several times. And the left arrow on the navigation ring doesn't respond when you feel the click. It needs to be pushed firmly to get a response. This gets quite frustrating after a while, especially because the remote gives you the feeling your machine and/or XBMC installation has become faster because of the rapid input response. The responsiveness is a very big plus. Only my old Xbox with the original remote was this responsive.

Still, I'm thinking of asking for a replacement because of the very annoying left navigation button responding 1 out of 3 klicks. This must be a production error.

edit: Oh, and the range very limited. About 3 meters. But this is a known problem as I've read.

- Jackdaw - 2011-10-09

I'm using this with a Shuttle XS35GT.
I cannot enter the BIOS with it or choose an OS in Grub. Has anyone been able to do this. I could do this with my cheapo Ebay remote.
It only works with an OS - I thought it would be driverless.
Also I can't work out how to do left and right mouse clicks. Without this it's useless.

- mat____ - 2011-10-09

Jackdaw Wrote:...
Also I can't work out how to do left and right mouse clicks. Without this it's useless.

Useless is a little harsh, fairer to say that without that it does not do what you want it to, not that it's without use; but I digress, right and left mouse clicks are supported. Look for the button labelled "click" it's on the keyboard side. Press it to get a left click, hold Fn and press it to get a right click.

I'm pretty sure thats covered in the instructions.

- Kevo - 2011-10-09

outleradam Wrote:After using this for a bit, I'd like to speak about ergonomics...

I think most people hold the remote in their right hand. In order to use the keyboard, it takes at least 3 steps. You must flip it over, rotate it 180 degrees and then grab it with the other hand. If the keyboard were rotated 180 degrees, then it would be appropriate. Currently, this is a left-handed remote.

I really don't see this at all. The remote is in my right hand I twist/rotate it with one hand and my thumb is right on the direction pad..... But a twist/rotate in the other direction an the remote would work just as well with the keyboard the other way.

Quote:Now, for use....
I'd like to have a shortcut to "full-screen" ie the TAB button on the top of the remote. This allows for easy switching between menus and the currently playing show.

I have home set to ToggleFullScreen. I think a dedicated fullscreen toggle button would have been a bad move, it's one that should be reserved for customising. The only button missing that should probably be dedicated is one for the context menu, the rest are quite rightly down to personal preference and customisation.

- htpcero - 2011-10-10

Teknologist Wrote:Okay. I found the reason and a workaround...

1) The reason:
The keymap.nyxboard.xml (add any user data keymap.xml posted here) refers to a remote name="Motorola Nyxboard hybrid"

If I do a cat /proc/input/devices on my Ubuntu box I have this output regarding Nyxboard:

Makes me wonder about the "Out of the box" mention on the pulse-eight page...

Thanks Teknologist for this.

If anybody was wondering where to find the "bundled" keymap.nyxboard.xml (which doesn't work as-is, currently) in the latest XBMC source (GIT), it can be found here:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master/system/keymaps/keyboard.nyxboard.xml

and in your manually installed git pull/nightly: /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps

Also, here's one complete keymap.nyxboard.xml, working in my system as of today - with XBMC nightly (GIT) on ubuntu 11.04 compiled last friday.

http://pastebin.com/t1KFBKBr

I have mapped the EPG key to "CodecInfo" while playing media full screen, and the USER key to PreviousMenu so that Navi-X can be "navigated back"

Enjoy.

Now I can only hope for Pulse-Eight to fix the remote range issue. I doubt it will be fixable by a firmware update though - looks more like a USB dongle hardware issue. I am wondering if we should RMA the device & then wait, or what to do. The shipped batteries seem to be exhausted as well, also not too nice.

Suspend & Resume with the nyxboard - htpcero - 2011-10-10

To get suspend/resume to work with this remote the following may be helpful (it did the trick for me; mobo: asus E-350)

Code:
lsusb
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 22b8:003b Motorola PCS

Note from the output the vendor ID and product ID of this remote.
Vendor id is 22b8 and the Product id is 003b.

Code:
sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/90-mcewakeup.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="22b8", ATTRS{idProduct}=="003b" RUN+="/bin/sh -c 'echo enabled > /sys$env{DEVPATH}/../power/wakeup'"

Then reboot
To suspend the machine use the Power menu of XBMC (or map a key via keymap.xml, apparently the power key in the remote cannot be mapped)
To wake up, use any key in the remote except for the “Power” key.

If you have an ATI/AMD graphics-based setup, you will probably notice an underscan issue after wakeup (which you had to work-around in your xbmc service startup script when setting up your system); if you do, you can fix it easily:

Code:
sudo vi /etc/pm/sleep.d/90_nyxboard-wakeup
Code:
#!/bin/bash

case "$1" in
    thaw|resume)
           /home/xbmc/remove-underscan-with-delay.sh
       ;;
    *)
       ;;
esac
exit $?

Code:
sudo chmod +x /etc/pm/sleep.d/90_nyxboard-wakeup

The "remove-underscan-with-delay.sh" script can be found here: http://pastebin.com/6HTUBSqP

- japius - 2011-10-10

After an agonizing wait it was finally here at my door when I arrived home today and.............useless to me in it's current form, I still need to keep my Rii keyboard and MCE remote.

The Nyxboard controls the TV perfectly.....unfortunately I am not prepared to move my recliner to within the 1.8m range the MC remote/keyboard part of this device will actually work within to allowit to work my PC.

Clearly the issue is in the dongle itself since the remote works fine for the TV.

so very disappointed.

- josh4trunks - 2011-10-10

I wouldn't say clearly the dongle is the only thing needed fixing.

To control your TV the remote is using IR, to control the htpc it is using RF. It could possibly be a problem with the Remote and/or the dongle.You can't rule out the Remote's RF being weak just because its IR works.

Just hoping mine doesn't have the dreaded range problem when I receive mine this week.

japius Wrote:After an agonizing wait it was finally here at my door when I arrived home today and.............useless to me in it's current form, I still need to keep my Rii keyboard and MCE remote.

The Nyxboard controls the TV perfectly.....unfortunately I am not prepared to move my recliner to within the 1.8m range the MC remote/keyboard part of this device will actually work within to allowit to work my PC.

Clearly the issue is in the dongle itself since the remote works fine for the TV.

so very disappointed.

- japius - 2011-10-10

josh4trunks Wrote:I wouldn't say clearly the dongle is the only thing needed fixing.

To control your TV the remote is using IR, to control the htpc it is using RF. It could possibly be a problem with the Remote and/or the dongle.You can't rule out the Remote's RF being weak just because its IR works.

Just hoping mine doesn't have the dreaded range problem when I receive mine this week.

True, perhaps it is the remote. I don't know, I don't really care I just want the damn thing working, I ordered it 6 months ago, it finally turns up and it's nothing more than a fancy paperweight at the moment.

- josh4trunks - 2011-10-10

I really hope they can figure out what's causing the range issue... It sucks for everyone if they can't fix it. But it would be great if a reproducable fix was found, otherwise we'd all have to cough up another $70 for version 2

- jhsrennie - 2011-10-10

I've tested the Nyxboard on my development PC and the RF works from at least 5 metres away (that's the furthest away I can get in my living room). I've tried with the dongle in the front of the PC and also in the back, where you might think it would be partially shielded by the body of the PC.

I'd be inclined to try attaching the dongle with a USB extension lead and moving it around to see if that improves the range. Also I note a few people have had their remote come with duff batteries (though the batteries in mine are fine) so you could try replacing the batteries.

Have you got another PC you can test with, in case the dongle doesn't get on with the USB controller in your PC?

JR

- japius - 2011-10-10

jhsrennie Wrote:I've tested the Nyxboard on my development PC and the RF works from at least 5 metres away (that's the furthest away I can get in my living room). I've tried with the dongle in the front of the PC and also in the back, where you might think it would be partially shielded by the body of the PC.

I'd be inclined to try attaching the dongle with a USB extension lead and moving it around to see if that improves the range. Also I note a few people have had their remote come with duff batteries (though the batteries in mine are fine) so you could try replacing the batteries.

Have you got another PC you can test with, in case the dongle doesn't get on with the USB controller in your PC?

JR

I changed the batteries and there was no change. I a reluctant to go down the extension cable/hub road because it is for my htpc in my lounge room. I don't like the idea of their obviously being a PC in my lounge room so having extra cables/items sittingnout in view is not an option. which means the dongle must sit either in the rear USB port (without line of sight) or in the front port (with line of sight). Neither of these are working at the moment.

- Kevo - 2011-10-10

jhsrennie Wrote:I've tested the Nyxboard on my development PC and the RF works from at least 5 metres away (that's the furthest away I can get in my living room). I've tried with the dongle in the front of the PC and also in the back, where you might think it would be partially shielded by the body of the PC.

JR

I am also able to get 5m without problem, even through a stud wall. (likewise I cant get any further away though I think the remote could).

This is on two different remotes. I can even have them both plugged in at the same time and get the same range, they dont seem to interfere with each other.

- Malosar - 2011-10-10

Kevo Wrote:The only button missing that should probably be dedicated is one for the context menu, the rest are quite rightly down to personal preference and customisation.

How is it a remote designed specifically for XBMC doesn't have a context button mapped?