Kodi Community Forum
XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: XBMC gets dedicated remote - Motorola Nyxboard (/showthread.php?tid=80968)

- gobbledigook - 2011-10-11

fungify Wrote:But this key can be disabled, right?

Wouldn't want anybody accidentally putting the combined file-, web-, mail- and FTP-server to sleep, just because it is also used for Mediacenter. (Hey - it's a I3 - it's got plenty of power...).

FFY

i agree and have been looking into a way to remap VK_SLEEP to the 's' key (to bring up shutdown menu in xbmc) that's my start anyways... i have looked at keytouch but there is no documentation on how to write a plugin to send signals to xbmc as an application, and you cannot remap the key to another button only an application plugin (like amorak - send STOP) or to run a script. the script function i would like to use as ideally would like to map it to a script in ubuntu to check if xbmc is running, if it is to kill it and start it again and if not just to start it. I need this for when it crashes.

i haven't gotten very far with the either of these due to a lack of time at the moment!!!

link to script idea

- SkItZo - 2011-10-11

Ok, got the remote today, First time i installed it i didnt have the batteries in the remote and connected the dongle. The dongle installed as a Nyxboard Remote 2.4GHz device and after adding the batteries to the remote i was having all sorts of range problems (limited to about 1 meter,) the keyboard side was non responsive or would repeat button presses (even though i only pressed the button once.) I then disconnected the dongle from the back and plugged it into the front port and it installed as a USB Composite Device/USB Compliant Device and the remote functioned much better, the keyboard functioned correctly and the range problems were solved. I removed the dongle from the front and I then restored my windows OS (7 x64) from a saved image. Once it had restored i ensured batteries were in the remote, connected the dongle at the back and it installed as a USB Composite Device/USB Compliant Device and is working as could be expected.

I have however noticed that there are single scratches from all of the buttons (One scratch per button) Also the mouse pointer is very sporadic (speeds up, slows down, stops, starts, speeds up, slows down etc) Flipping the remote (from the remote side to the keyboard side) seems to execute an F7 when the tilt sensor is activated

Just as a little side note, In the instructions, under the Navigation keys/Mouse it states to hold down shift to use the mouse, when it should be Fn

I am currently still setting up the remote so have some testing/configuring ahead of me, i just thought i would let people know how my experience has been so far

- Malard - 2011-10-11

SkItZo Wrote:Ok, got the remote today, First time i installed it i didnt have the batteries in the remote and connected the dongle. The dongle installed as a Nyxboard Remote 2.4GHz device and after adding the batteries to the remote i was having all sorts of range problems (limited to about 1 meter,) the keyboard side was non responsive or would repeat button presses (even though i only pressed the button once.) I then disconnected the dongle from the back and plugged it into the front port and it installed as a USB Composite Device/USB Compliant Device and the remote functioned much better, the keyboard functioned correctly and the range problems were solved. I removed the dongle from the front and I then restored my windows OS (7 x64) from a saved image. Once it had restored i ensured batteries were in the remote, connected the dongle at the back and it installed as a USB Composite Device/USB Compliant Device and is working as could be expected.

I have however noticed that there are single scratches from all of the buttons (One scratch per button) Also the mouse pointer is very sporadic (speeds up, slows down, stops, starts, speeds up, slows down etc) Flipping the remote (from the remote side to the keyboard side) seems to execute an F7 when the tilt sensor is activated

Just as a little side note, In the instructions, under the Navigation keys/Mouse it states to hold down shift to use the mouse, when it should be Fn

I am currently still setting up the remote so have some testing/configuring ahead of me, i just thought i would let people know how my experience has been so far

Thanks for your feedback, please send me a photo of the scratches [email protected] and i will send them to Motorola for investigation. You should not have any marks on the remote.

The F7 is used by XBMC (or will be) to toggle the search when needed, this is normal.

I will get the manual updated and I have already let Motorola know, thanks for spotting it!

- bobinc - 2011-10-11

htpcero Wrote:Thanks Teknologist for this.

If anybody was wondering where to find the "bundled" keymap.nyxboard.xml (which doesn't work as-is, currently) in the latest XBMC source (GIT), it can be found here:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master/system/keymaps/keyboard.nyxboard.xml

and in your manually installed git pull/nightly: /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps

Also, here's one complete keymap.nyxboard.xml, working in my system as of today - with XBMC nightly (GIT) on ubuntu 11.04 compiled last friday.

http://pastebin.com/t1KFBKBr

I have mapped the EPG key to "CodecInfo" while playing media full screen, and the USER key to PreviousMenu so that Navi-X can be "navigated back"

Enjoy.

Now I can only hope for Pulse-Eight to fix the remote range issue. I doubt it will be fixable by a firmware update though - looks more like a USB dongle hardware issue. I am wondering if we should RMA the device & then wait, or what to do. The shipped batteries seem to be exhausted as well, also not too nice.

Thanks for this. It helped get me over the hump and I now have the color buttons doing what I want.

- Quartermass - 2011-10-11

pike Wrote:try "resetting" it, unfortunately there's no reset button, so you will have to remove and reinsert the batteries Nerd

Thanks Pike, that did work. However it's a bit worrying that it did it after only 30 mins or so of use. If I have to reset it every 30 mins then it's faulty.

I'll see what happens over time.

Malard Wrote:It's VK_SLEEP that is sent, its a power button for the PC rather than to control XBMC, the intention was always that you would want to hibernate the PC rather than shut it down, O.S. are moving in the direction of sleeping instead of being powered off and cold booted.

I would want to hibernate the PC, if I was running a dedicated box. However it runs on my main PC. I've had cables run to the living room to carry USB and HDMI so a dedicated box isn't needed.

The previous remote did two things that this one doesn't. Two things which are pretty much going to make this one useless.

1) I could switch off XBMC, it'd call up the power menu if I hit the power button.
2) I could switch on XBMC, if I hit the green windows button it'd power up XBMC.

Finally, I didn't get a chance to check this but it seems I'd have to press the button to switch to TV mode, then press the power button then press the button to switch back... leading to me having to check what mode the remote is in before pressing power buttons and also having to deal with accidentally turning the TV off when I wanted to power down XBMC. That's far less handy than just picking up the TV remote and turning off the TV.

So far the Nyxboard has underwhelmed me, these functions I consider to be absolutely basic and it doesn't do them.

- Malosar - 2011-10-11

A majority of HTPC users have a dedicated HTPC in their living room with their equipment and usually have it sleep when not using it.

Quote:Finally, I didn't get a chance to check this but it seems I'd have to press the button to switch to TV mode, then press the power button then press the button to switch back... leading to me having to check what mode the remote is in before pressing power buttons and also having to deal with accidentally turning the TV off when I wanted to power down XBMC. That's far less handy than just picking up the TV remote and turning off the TV.

I don't believe there would be any way around this given it's a combination RF/IR device? Personally I'm really looking forward to being able to put away my 2 other remotes since I built my HTPC, all they do is turn on/off the TV and AVR and adjust volume.

- Kevo - 2011-10-11

I have disabled the system sleep and mapped the xbmc shutdown menu to the user button. Works just fine, no accidental turning off the tv or pc.

Malosar Wrote:A majority of HTPC users have a dedicated HTPC in their living room with their equipment and usually have it sleep when not using it.
I would if I had a dedicated machine. As it stands my £10 remote does this, this £40 bells and whistles doesn't.

Quote:I don't believe there would be any way around this given it's a combination RF/IR device? Personally I'm really looking forward to being able to put away my 2 other remotes since I built my HTPC, all they do is turn on/off the TV and AVR and adjust volume.

The remote couldn't send out an IR signal without being switched to IR mode first?

- Kevo - 2011-10-11

Quartermass Wrote:The remote couldn't send out an IR signal without being switched to IR mode first?

That would be silly.

- Malard - 2011-10-11

Quartermass, while I appreciate your comments, this remote's function was designed for those with a dedicated HTPC, it is impossible to please everyone and clearly the remote doesn't do what you need.

What the remote does is fairly obvious (I hope) and you still decided to buy it, please don't complain that it is not doing what you wanted, when it was never designed to do those things in the first place.

- japius - 2011-10-11

Any developments on the range issues?

As nice as it is doing it's new job of stopping the fan from blowing the paper off my table, I'd like to use it as a remote at some point.

- Malard - 2011-10-11

japius Wrote:Any developments on the range issues?

As nice as it is doing it's new job of stopping the fan from blowing the paper off my table, I'd like to use it as a remote at some point.

They are investigating, thats all I have for now, I will be following up tomorrow again with them.

- -EaS- - 2011-10-12

Received my remote today Smile (order number 566)

First
Recognition. The remote worked instantly on a Windows 7 install (no xbmc on there, but just scrolling, typing, flipping pages, play/stop buttons etc. all worked), and also instantly on an Ubuntu-minimal 10.10-x64 install with a pre-eden XBMC version (built februari 2011). The buttons on the Ubuntu/xbmc install may not be pre-configured the way I like, but that will be easy to configure. Flawless.

Second
Range of the remote. On my PC -with Windows 7- the maximum range is about 4 meter. That is 'somewhat' without obstacles in the way, and the usb reciever is plugged-in to the front of the PC into a card-reader (wich is just powered of the internal mainboard USB headers, no external power).

On my HTPC (ubuntu/xbmc) the range varies from 0.5 meter to maybe 1 meter max! Despite trying different USB ports. Not usable.

Third
Responsiveness. Seems to be (much) better on the PC than on the HTPC. Range/strength-of-reception related? But all-in-all not as expected.

Further: a flip to the keyboard side (or remote side) doesn't always mean that it is *instantly* active, as I would expect it to be. Also: There seems to be something rattling inside the remote. Is that maybe a little ball used to sense what side of the remote is up?

Plus (which counts for the PC as well as the HTPC setup), as mentioned here before; the left click (on the ring buton) is very unpredictable, it responses maybe 5 out of 10 times directly. Pressing harder on that button, and it's maybe 8 (to 9) out of 10 times.

Next to that: Sometimes button presses all come at once (the first is not registered, but than the next ones all at once).

And: While typing this, I decided to pick up the remote and type the remainder of this post on it. No go. The remote seemed to have fallen 'asleep'. It needed multiple button presses to have it come to reality and to decide which side (the remote or keyboard side) was active it seems.

In summary:
Short experience, to be updated as time goes on. Recognition (read as: Decive is recognized) is great, but button registering and which side (keyboard or remote) is active needs improvement. Range improvement -> *VERY MUCH*!!!!!!

The above may be partially fixable through a firmware update or/and an usb-receiver replacement, but the left-click issue probably not. It seems to be a mechanical issue.

- -EaS- - 2011-10-12

-EaS- Wrote:.... but the left-click issue probably not. It seems to be a mechanical issue.

I have to retract that statement. I programmed the NYXboard with the IR codes of my 'old' remote:

Result: *Every* left click results in a blink of the LED (read: is registered as a press of the button). Returning to RF mode, this is *not* the case.

Conlusion is: Mechanically its all ok, but the way it is dealt with in firmware (in RF mode) probably not.

What way has motorola forseen to update the device? Can it be done on the 'consumer' side, or is a replacement necessary?

Edit: Wow! This remote seems to behave entirely different when in IR mode. So the thing must be ok on the hardware side!! I really wonder why it causes problems when in RF mode (Left click. Buttons not registering. Or all at once...).